Chapter 2: A Dark Secret

Arkham, Massachusetts, 1928. The last dying plea of an old friend and mentor leads to an encounter with a horror beyond description. Unwittingly released into the world nearly fifty years before, it is now time to finally confront the mistakes of the past. But it will come at great cost...

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 2: A Dark Secret

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Yes, both [b]Henri [/b]and Alice try a [b]Persuade[/b] roll on [b]Mrs. Putnam[/b]
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Persuade,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Persuade[/i] is [b]55%[/b] and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice knows her reasoning is sound, but the fact that she's covered in the professor's blood probably isn't helping.
OOC,Persuade roll (65% skill) to convince [b]Mrs. Putnam[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Maybe someone else can have a try?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Fast Talk would be an option too, but I expect to see some pretty convincing lying. You won't convince Bernard, but perhaps his mother can exercise some control over him.  
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry tries to back up Alice and Balzac but his words fail to move Mrs Putnam
Spoiler:
Henry Persuade 25: [dice]0[/dice]
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora steps up to the mourning wife and softly puts her hand on her shoulder. She thinks that this moment allows such intimacy (besides, they've met before).

"Please, Mrs. Putnam, let us fulfill the Professor's last wish."

Her voice is shaking - she is shocked by both Putnam's death and Bernard's reaction... So unlike his father.

Persuade 15%
[dice]0[/dice]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Wolf
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by Wolf »

Arthur takes a breather...
"Listen, Mrs Putnam. We are here because of Denis. We are here because of what faith Denis had in us, and the faith we have in him. He will not be forgotten by any of us, as he did not forget about us even after all these years. And now, just as he brathed his last, he commanded us with a mission. With one last favour. He gave us one final request, a request with a meaning beyond what you can imagine. Not ust by what he requested, but what this request means to us. It means honor. Honoring our long friendship with Denis. Honoring his memory. Honoring what he believed was the right thing to ask. He called us in his time of need, and now, even after he has passed, we still have a task to complete. Im not aware f he did ask something of you, but if he did, you must understand how much this means to us. He especially asked us to do this because he wanted to keep you away, in affairs that we expect not to be pleasant, at all. He wished no harm to you, and so that's why he made the effort of calling us, to ask something so important of us, that made us travel from our homes to here.
Please, listen to our plea."
ooc,Persuasion roll(30%): [dice]0[/dice]
domdombear
Layman
Layman

Post by domdombear »

After being silent for some time, clearly shaken by what has just occurred a pale face Rupert looks up from his shoes

"It must have been important to him, to bring us all together, like this, so near....the end. You must let us help"
Spoiler:
Persuasion roll(15%):
domdombear rolled 1d100:
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Agnes looks momentarily swayed by the heroes’ entreaties, but unfortunately they are to no avail. Bernard sees an advantage, and he takes it.

“Mother dear” he says. “It’s true, you really don’t need to be dealing with such matters right now. Our lawyers need to look over matters of Father’s estate. Let me bring this to their attention. If there is something that these ah… people can help with, then we can contact them later.”

Agnes is too distraught by everything to continue. “Very well Bernard.”

She addresses the group. “Thank you for visiting Dennis. He spoke to me about you all and I know he respected you very much. But I cannot cope with these matters right now. Perhaps we can talk about the property in the future.”

She turns away accompanied by Bernard, who sneers triumphantly at the group, brandishing the deed in his fist. “Goodbye, Alicehe says pointedly.

They return to Putnam’s room, and the door shuts.
Alice,Roll Luck
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Well I think I'd like to go somewhere where I can take a look at this without the attention of Putnam Jnr" says Henry, tapping the journal in his pocket
Wolf
Layman
Layman

Post by Wolf »

"Well said, Mr Glynn. It seems the apple has fallen very far from the tree, in this case", Said Arthur, shrugging.
"Does anyone know, or even better, have a location were we can discuss these issues with a privacy? We could contact Agnes later, for the details of the professor's funeral. For now i feel she's better left alone, and away from that house's affairs."
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Never any privacy at my place" says Henry "Mrs Rourke doesn't believe in it."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"There is plenty of room and privacy at my house," Isadora begins, but interrupts herself. "...but I live in Boston, right..."

She is lost for a few seconds.

"Somewhere at the university, maybe?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
domdombear
Layman
Layman

Post by domdombear »

Rupert Marlow

"Perhaps the university would let us use his office?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My thoughts exactly," says Alice. "First, I'd like a bath and a change of clothes, of course. Well, that didn't go so well, but all is not lost."
OOC,Luck roll (65% stat) in the hospital corridor: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,[b]Alice[/b] has managed to retain the key to the house, [b]Isadora[/b] has the sarchophagus, and [b]Henry[/b] the journal. Reading the journal will take four hours of game time. [b]Henry[/b] must decide if he wants to read it now, or wait until he talks to the others.
The investigators agree to meet at 6.30pm in Putnam’s office. The university will still be open as many professors and students stay late, but it will be quiet enough to talk without interruption. Those who are unfamiliar with it are given directions.
putnam office.jpg
Later they meet at the appointed time. Putnam’s office is a little crowded but Alice manages to squeeze in some extra chairs among the clutter of books, papers and artifacts. She makes tea and coffee and they settle down to talk.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
OOC:   Can Isadora attempt to mechanically copy the hieroglyphs in the downtime?  
On the way to the university, Isadora buys a box of cookies to share.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

OOC:   If Henry has been alone with the journal he won't have been able to resist at least skimming through it before the meeting. If it alludes to matters of the occult he'll be sceptical.  
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac will have a bit of a browse through the Prof's office, particularly his books and desk, to see if anything jumps out as odd or relevant to his dying request. He is listening to what the others say but has nothing useful to add at the moment.
domdombear
Layman
Layman

Post by domdombear »

Rupert will also look around. But is careful not to touch anything, he is more excited to be standing where he is and is trying to take it all in, but also trying to be respectful of the space.

Return to “Edge of Darkness”