Chapter 2: A Dark Secret

Arkham, Massachusetts, 1928. The last dying plea of an old friend and mentor leads to an encounter with a horror beyond description. Unwittingly released into the world nearly fifty years before, it is now time to finally confront the mistakes of the past. But it will come at great cost...

Moderator: HoneyDog

innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Chapter 2: A Dark Secret

Post by innsmouth »

Spoiler:
Henry Luck 65 [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Ms. Green

“No, Mr. Glynn, we haven’t met, but yes, I’ve read your book”.
Henry,Roll Luck again
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Spoiler:
Henry Luck 65 [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ms. Green

“I don’t usually enjoy supernatural stories but I must say I thought you developed a very entertaining and thoughtful plot. Good characterization too. Is there something I can help you with?”
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   Sorry, I was absent for most of the weekend, catching up now...  
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora joins Balzac and Marlowe at the catalogs. She records the findings in her notebook, and tries her luck at finding some information as well.
Spoiler:
If possible.
Library Use 33%
[dice]0[/dice]

"An Egyptian artifact..."

Shivers run down her spine as she reads the clipping about Marion Allen's death. She pulls her handbag (still housing the sarcophagus) closer to her body. It suddenly feels much-much heavier.

"I think this is no coincidence," she whispers. "The Egyptian artifact must be the... you-know-what."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isadora,It appears that everything there is has been found.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Miss Green," says Alice, accepting the note. "I'll go see Dr. Armitage first thing in the morning."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry will explain to Miss Green that they are looking for a book classified under Dead Gods that details the gold box, which he describes. He hopes she will agree to let him keep looking for it after hours, or even better, that her knowledge of the stock is such that she may be able to help him locate the volume.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Miss Green

“I’m sorry Mr. Glynn but we have to close soon. I’m not familiar with such a work. Also, you’re not actually a member of the university, so it’s out of the question. Why don’t you return tomorrow with a staff member to help you?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sure Dr. Armitage would be willing to help us with that in the morning," Alice says to Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Shortly before closing time, Balzac will encourage those in his company to wait by the front doors to the library for the rest of the team to appear, with a view to quickly sharing information and making plans for the morrow. Balzac will share about his Gauloises then light one up (throwing his spent match somewhere into the garden).

"Once we're all here, we need to arrange vehicles, and first thing tomorrow, I need to collect some supplies, including a medical kit. Si vis pacem, para bellum."
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Perhaps we should split into two groups tomorrow morning? Some of you can collect equipment - go easy on the shotguns - and the rest of us can look up this Dr Armitage and see if he'll help us out at the Library."

"It's late and we've all had a long day. Also I have some work to do. Miss Stanton may I walk you back to your lodgings?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Good idea," says Isadora to Glynn's idea. "I could join the mission to Dr Armitage."

After saying goodnight to the group, she hails a cab and rides back to her hotel. At the counter she asks to prolong her stay for two more days, then calls her husband.

"George, my dear," she says when she gets through to him. "I have very bad news... The Professor passed away today. I was just in time to say a few words to him a last time."

"Turns out, he invited me and a couple of other people to sort through his estate. His scholarly works, his library, to look into his occult studies. It will take some time, so I will have to stay here for a few more days."

Technically, she is not lying. She was indeed asked by the Professor to deal with some of his... work. But Isadora knows, that her husband would object to her engaging in occult investigations and dangerous stuff again.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Mr. Glynn," says Alice, walking with him to the boarding house where she lives.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Please, call me Henry" he insists.

Having walked Alice to her boarding house Henry goes back to his own lodgings. It's unclear if Mrs Rourke is about but he attempts to sneak to his room to avoid her usual questions.
Spoiler:
Henry Sneak 10 [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Unfortunately Henry's arrival is overheard and he obliged to partake of some cabbage soup and listen to gossip about the neighbours before he can escape to bed.
OOC:   Let's start a new thread for the next day. So there are two groups - Alice, Henry and Isadora will visit Doctor Armitage to find out about the books, and Balzac will organise supplies. Shall we put Marlowe and Arthur with Balzac - unless there are any objections?

Do you have at least two cars? If not, hiring is an option, or the bus to Ross's Corners leaves at just after 10am.

I'll leave this thread open for the time being in case anyone wants to add to it. I'll try and get the new thread going tomorrow.  
Wolf
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by Wolf »

OOC:   Arthur will join Balzacs party. Im sorry, I couldnt post yesterday. I'll be on a trip until tomorrow night, so I wont be able to keep up until wednesday night-thursday.

Also sorry for putting all of thus in a IC thread, im in a hurry  
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry returns to his room. He pulls the paper from his typewriter, crumples it into a ball and flings it into a corner. Replacing it with a fresh sheet he begins to type:
The Curse of the Gold Sarcophagus
A tale of supernatural mystery
By Henry W Glynn
Author of The Ghastly Chamber

Return to “Edge of Darkness”