Page 1 of 1

OOC Chat

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:04 pm
by HoneyDog
Hi Everyone!

Welcome to "The Edge of Darkness". I'm pleased to have you all playing this with me. We have evil_scientist, who isn't really that evil (I think - I don't know if he is a scientist); innsmouth, making a long awaited appearance on the board; domdombear, whose name is nearly as cute as mine; and lastly Mr. Handy, who really lives up to his name.

We can start the game once you've all got your characters sorted out. Please try and post as often as you can to keep the fun and the action going. We can use this thread to discuss anything related to the game or otherwise; whatever comes into your heads.

Re: OOC Chat

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:17 am
by HoneyDog
Although all of the characters aren't ready yet, I think that we can still make a start. Each character will be receiving a request to visit the Professor, so I will begin informing each character as they become available. Prepare to receive a letter!

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:48 pm
by HoneyDog
Okay, Isadora is up first. Next will be Henry.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:58 am
by HoneyDog
Once Mr. Handy's character has been introduced, the action will move to the hospital.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry, but it looks like I won't have time to create my character before I leave. There's a possibility I'll be able to do it this evening after I've arrived at the convention but before anything starts, but I can't guarantee it. It may need to wait until I get back, but I should have it done by Monday at the latest. I'm planning to play the Professor's secretary. Should I come up with an occupational skill list, or do you want to provide one?

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:44 am
by HoneyDog
That's fine Mr. Handy, just do it when you can. I'm sure you want to enjoy the convention.

That's a good choice of character. I have these skills listed for Secretary: Accounting, Credit Rating, English, Fast Talk, Persuade, Psychology.

You might want to adjust them or the hobby skills as you see fitting for someone in this context.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy
I finished my character. I added the two special skills from the Investigator's Companion, Shorthand and Typing. There were no base skill levels listed for them. I picked 01% for Shorthand, as it's comparable to a language, and 20% for Typing, as anyone can hunt and peck, but it takes skill to do it fast. If you think the base skill levels should be different, let me know and I'll adjust my sheet.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:13 am
by HoneyDog
No that's fine Mr. H. She's a good character. I'll get to work on her introduction to the game.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:39 am
by andyw666
Hey there, I'm wondering if I can recycle a PC I created as a 'back-up' character for the Walker in the Wastes adventure? (That game didn't get very far so the back-up characters were never used.) I rolled up Henri Balzac, a French-Canadian medical Dr turned botanist. His being a fellow academic might explain his connection to the start of this adventure? If you're happy with that, I think I can just copy/paste him over (so undignified an experience from the perspective of the PC I'm sure).

Cheers,

Andy

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:07 am
by HoneyDog
That's fine Andy, as long as he has the necessary background he could be a colleague and maybe a trusted friend. He's really going to want to help the Professor.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:10 am
by andyw666
Magic! Will copy him across now. - Andy

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:54 am
by HoneyDog
We're welcoming Andyw666 and probably new player Wolf to the game - this will extend the introductions a bit, so please be patient everyone. The action will begin soon.

I think this means that we've reached a full quota of players, so if anyone else reading this would like to join, I'm afraid you'll have to wait until next time. But please read along and enjoy.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:54 pm
by Wolf
Just finished my character! Let me know if there's anything i may need to change/add/delete/square

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:47 am
by evil_scientist
Welcome, Andyw666 and Wolf!

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:07 am
by Wolf
evil_scientist wrote:Welcome, Andyw666 and Wolf!
Thanks, foul-intended scholar! :D

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:53 am
by andyw666
Merde! Oh well, get those bad rolls out of the way early...

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:30 pm
by Wolf
Well, I tried! :P

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:53 pm
by HoneyDog
You all think you're so tricky... :P

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:51 pm
by Wolf
Dang, what's with all these rolls?

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:30 pm
by HoneyDog
Bernard.jpg
"Hah! Pathetic".

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:41 pm
by HoneyDog
Isadora, sure copy the hieroglyphs, it will take about 1 hour.

Guys, calm it down. You have what you heard from the Professor, you have the sarcophagus and the journal. Think about what you want to do with the information you have. Think about what it all means, and where it might lead. Think about the consequences of what might happen, and if at all it is possible for your character to carry on.

Innsmouth, I will send you an abridged version of the journal when I have time to prepare it, which is up to my infant son and his love of vomiting over me.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:23 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora, with trembling hands, opens the sarcophagus to reveal...

...more fancy cookies! Hooray!

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:02 pm
by innsmouth
"Damn" says Henry "Best Before 3000 BC"

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:23 pm
by evil_scientist
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy
It says "Best Before," not "Use By." They'll just be a little stale, that's all... ;)

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 am
by andyw666
The infamous "best before" / "use by" debate...

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:13 pm
by HoneyDog
This is CoC! Such cookies would no doubt be cursed by Thoth himself! Insanity cookies.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:43 am
by andyw666
Now I'm worried that I have just wasted my one and only "1" roll. Probability Theory be damned.

And nice continuation of my theme of random pidgin French!

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:59 pm
by HoneyDog
I suppose it was a bit underwhelming. I did give you only 20 minutes to find the clipping instead of 2 hours though! That must be a Library Use record.

What I should have written was:

"Balzac finds the horrific mummified corpse of the thing in the bottom of the filing cabinet. Who would have thought? Game over, but roll for Insanity".

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:07 pm
by Wolf
Henry Armitage, huh?
This is going to be good

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:22 am
by andyw666
Oh, I'm very happy with the researching results, nice to get some constructive investigating done! And with time to spare!

My fear is rather that - given traditionally these online dice hate me - that's it, my allotment of good luck is expended. I have a more cthulhoid view of probability.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:27 am
by andyw666
On a slightly differing topic, I assume most of Balzac's possessions would be back in Canada, other than his faithful trumpet?

Seems unlikely he would be travelling with a firearm or medical bag for an academic trip. So collecting a first aid kit next morning might be an idea for him too.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:36 am
by HoneyDog
andyw666 wrote:On a slightly differing topic, I assume most of Balzac's possessions would be back in Canada, other than his faithful trumpet?

Seems unlikely he would be travelling with a firearm or medical bag for an academic trip. So collecting a first aid kit next morning might be an idea for him too.
Sure. If you're all planning to visit the farmhouse, you'll all need to be adequately prepared. The keeper will be alert to exploit any weaknesses...

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:20 pm
by innsmouth
The investigators are hereby warned off going up against the Mythos armed only with a trumpet

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:45 pm
by evil_scientist
Horns worked well against the walls of Jericho!

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:27 pm
by evil_scientist
Ouch, we are giving away too much straight away... Let's hope the head librarian is head cultist as well!

In other news:
I will be absent for the weekend. Maybe I will be able to come and post, maybe not!

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:56 pm
by innsmouth
The librarian is definitely a cultist. Not sure about Agnes Putnam. Bernard is a red herring, he'll turn out to be a thoroughly nice chap.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
Don't worry Evil, I'm busy too. My father is visiting us - I think he might be a cultist.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:16 am
by evil_scientist
I'm back!

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:16 am
by HoneyDog
Welcome back!

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:31 am
by innsmouth
Look at the mess we made while you were away!

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 am
by andyw666
Apologies Chaps, haven't been very attentive the last few days.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:53 pm
by HoneyDog
That's okay. Life can be busy!

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:00 pm
by domdombear
hi all, sorry I've been rather busy last week or so. Hopefully will catch up soon!

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:02 am
by HoneyDog
Okay! No problem.

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:11 am
by andyw666
Aaargh! That will be the only time I can pull off such an unlikely read latin roll. Never mind, back to the coal face.

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:18 am
by HoneyDog
Sorry Andy. In this case it's just a matter of saying the words, not understanding them. Like a sutra or a Hail Mary.

Tell you what, I'll give you a bonus on your next roll to make up for it.

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:27 am
by HoneyDog
I've asked for a luck roll to see if any of your characters are between the crazy person and the door. The one with the worst luck loses! Poor Mr Handy is the candidate so far.

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:55 am
by andyw666
HoneyDog wrote:Sorry Andy. In this case it's just a matter of saying the words, not understanding them. Like a sutra or a Hail Mary.

Tell you what, I'll give you a bonus on your next roll to make up for it.
Don't worry, it's all good! I just know he's never going to successfully Read Latin ever again.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:38 pm
by HoneyDog
Evil Scientist is away so he asked me to make his roll for him. I haven't heard from Domdombear so I will make his roll too, to keep the game moving.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:17 am
by HoneyDog
Wolf's character has 40% for Chemistry, so if he hasn't posted by tonight I'll roll for him.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:54 pm
by innsmouth
My character wouldn't think that we need magnesium but I'm pretty sure we are going to need some magnesium ...

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:31 pm
by HoneyDog
All you need is a stout heart and a steady hand.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 pm
by Wolf
HoneyDog wrote:Wolf's character has 40% for Chemistry, so if he hasn't posted by tonight I'll roll for him.
I won't be able to continue playing for some time, so you can use my character for me.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 pm
by HoneyDog
I'm sorry to hear that! Perhaps it's best if Arthur decides to stay in Arkham. He can rejoin the others later if he changes his mind.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:54 am
by andyw666
And then there were four. Four little investigators, creeping through a house...

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:51 pm
by HoneyDog
We're relying on you now Andy. Go get that spooky horror!

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:42 am
by andyw666
One investigator summoned an eldritch elder horror from beyond time and space, and then there were three. Three little investigators...

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:09 am
by evil_scientist
"Whatever has been eating the critters is sure to be no match for your shotgun."
Famous last words...

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:45 pm
by andyw666
Fear not, he has a secret stash of dynamite if the shotty isn't enough. What could go wrong?

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:08 am
by andyw666
They say you're supposed to chant eldritch spells to the rhythm of the BeeGees' "Staying Alive".

Wait, that might be CPR.

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:08 am
by HoneyDog
I'd like to hear that Andy. In your best Balzac voice.

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:48 am
by andyw666
Mais oui!

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:19 am
by andyw666
Aaaarrgghh!!!!

Bordel de merde!

Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:11 am
by evil_scientist
Oh, now for the hardest part of any CoC adventure... dealing with the fallout.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:08 pm
by evil_scientist
I will be absent for the week, but might get online now and then!

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:28 pm
by HoneyDog
Oooh I hope so! The mystery is almost over, but the investigators aren't out of the woods yet.

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:17 am
by andyw666
*LAUGH*

I was just gearing up to RP a very off-his-brain-on-the drugs Balzac. Don't harsh my buzz Man.

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:29 am
by HoneyDog
That would have been fun. Perhaps Henry is saving it for himself...

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:54 am
by evil_scientist
I'm slowly easing back into my usual life schedule, catching up with the games here, posts later today, hopefully!

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:31 am
by HoneyDog
Welcome back! The game should be over soon, unless everyone ends up in prison for murder. And then you'll have to role play every day of your confinement as a punishment.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:11 am
by HoneyDog
Wonderful epilogues everyone! Thanks very much for playing, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Please post your thoughts and critiques for our perusal and discussion.

I will plan to start a new adventure soon and you’re all very welcome to join. You can play the same characters again if you wish, and develop them further. I am thinking about The Madman, from the 6th edition rule book again (I paid good yen for that pdf, dammit).

But for now, the rewards. Please roll for skill increases, and award your character 1d10+1 Sanity for banishing the monster and knowing that it will no longer plague our world. Also, give yourselves 1 point for Cthulhu Mythos, as you are now aware of the presence of otherworldly beings, and such things as the existence of forbidden tomes (Di Vermiis Mysteris).

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:31 am
by evil_scientist
Sanity 61%
[dice]0[/dice]
+1 = 3
Sanity score 64

Skill improvements:

Listen 25%
[dice]1[/dice]

History 20%
[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:33 am
by HoneyDog
Unlucky Isadora! Still, she has her Cthulhu Mythos point to console her.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:44 am
by evil_scientist
Yeah, that's the real reward for her!
HoneyDog wrote:I will plan to start a new adventure soon and you’re all very welcome to join. You can play the same characters again if you wish, and develop them further. I am thinking about The Madman, from the 6th edition rule book again (I paid good yen for that pdf, dammit).
Yes, that'd be awesome! As long as it doesn't have a haunted house or a cabin in the woods... I saw it in the book, but don't remember anything, so probably didn't read it.

I enjoyed this adventure, I like it when there's enough space for character interaction and development besides the investigation & action.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:48 am
by HoneyDog
I'm glad you enjoyed. I haven't read the scenario for a while, but there's no haunted house. I'll re-read it tonight - I think it's a fairly short one (so about 2 months of play :lol: ).

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy
I enjoyed it too, and I'm looking forward to The Madman, which I've never played or read.

Isadora actually gets to increase both skills by 1D10 each. When rolling for skill increases, you want to fail.

Have you been tracking which skills we've used successfully during the adventure? I don't remember, and I don't have time tonight to look back through all the threads to check.

Alice's Sanity gain (current level 61):
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:46 am
by HoneyDog
Thanks Mr. H. Yes of course you're right about the skill rolls. I haven't kept a full record but i only have Alice succeeding rolls for First Aid and Listen - you tended to roll better with characteristic rolls than for skills in this game.

Evil, please roll for 1d10 for Isadora accordingly.

I can start The Madman soon, I'll advertise it in the appropriate forum. 4-5 players should be enough.

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:14 pm
by innsmouth
First Aid 30 [dice]0[/dice]

Occult 70 [dice]1[/dice]

Psychology 7 [dice]2[/dice]
Award [dice]4[/dice]

Sanity award [dice]3[/dice] + 1

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:50 am
by Mr. Handy
HoneyDog wrote:Thanks Mr. H. Yes of course you're right about the skill rolls. I haven't kept a full record but i only have Alice succeeding rolls for First Aid and Listen - you tended to roll better with characteristic rolls than for skills in this game.

Evil, please roll for 1d10 for Isadora accordingly.

I can start The Madman soon, I'll advertise it in the appropriate forum. 4-5 players should be enough.
You're welcome. I especially did well on my Sanity rolls. My Sanity is now 67, which is a little higher than when I started. I never did succeed at a Listen roll (I missed that last one by one point), but I did succeed at Persuade at the end.

First Aid (60% skill) XP check:
[dice]0[/dice]

Persuade (65% skill) XP check:
[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:55 am
by HoneyDog
Psychology for Henry but nothing for poor Alice! Hopefully Andy will check in, and then you can close this game down Mr.Handy!

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:38 am
by andyw666
Sorry, been working afternoon/evenings, gives me brain fade!

First off, Honeydog, thank you very much! That was a hoot! Roll on more adventures, please!!

I'll get on and do the skill checks etc for Balzac...

Cheers,

Andy

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:42 am
by andyw666
Balzac's various rolls to improve as follows:

Sanity
[dice]0[/dice]

Library Use 75%
[dice]1[/dice]

Grapple 45%
[dice]2[/dice]

Medicine 80%
[dice]3[/dice]

Biology 76%
[dice]4[/dice]

Spot Hidden 50%
[dice]5[/dice]

Improvement to Medicine
[dice]6[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:49 am
by andyw666
Well, his medicine went up a bit, that's cool.

Honeydog, on page 86 of the CoC 6th ed, there are rules for SAN improvement from asylums etc. Are you happy for me to roll to see if Balzac gets some SAN back from therapy?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:47 am
by evil_scientist
I'm using the "Search this forum" function to look up all my dice rolls in the topics...

Skill increases:
Listen 25
[dice]0[/dice]

History 20
[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:51 pm
by HoneyDog
Thanks Andy! Glad you enjoyed it. By all means, roll for Balzac's asylum cure. He deserves it.

Evil, why don't you check The Haunting for Isadora's skill upgrades? I fear I might have made the same mistake there.

Mr. Handy - I rolled Listen for everyone as they entered the farmhouse in order to hear the hobo in the cellar, and Alice passed, so you should roll for that.

"Hobo in the cellar

I know, I know

He's dangerous"

(courtesy of The Smiths)

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:07 pm
by Mr. Handy
Evil_scientist didn't get any skill improvements after The Haunting: viewtopic.php?p=189477#p189477

Listen (55% skill) XP check:
[dice]0[/dice]
Listen improvement:
[dice]1[/dice]
Thanks, that helped!

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:14 am
by andyw666
Balzac asylum roll...
[dice]0[/dice]

SAN recovered...
[dice]1[/dice]

Sweet, Balzac claws back another point of SAN! At least he's not dead.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:09 am
by andyw666
Balzac would love to make a return in your next scenario, Honeydog!!

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:14 am
by HoneyDog
Posting invitations now on the recruitment forum!

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:36 am
by andyw666
Excellent!!