Chapter 2: A Dark Secret

Arkham, Massachusetts, 1928. The last dying plea of an old friend and mentor leads to an encounter with a horror beyond description. Unwittingly released into the world nearly fifty years before, it is now time to finally confront the mistakes of the past. But it will come at great cost...

Moderator: HoneyDog

andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 2: A Dark Secret

Post by andyw666 »

"Mesdames et Messieurs, I believe there is a grave danger that we have all just received a dying man's last request. Whether we believe what the Professor said is another matter. We are bound to at least make enquiries. It is a dette d'honneur"

Balzac pulls out a distinctive blue packet of Gauloises and offers them around before lighting up himself and disappearing into an aromatic cloud of Gallic tobacco smoke.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry accepts a cigarette with a nod of thanks and reaches for the leather bound journal. "Say, what's this, some sort of diary?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"This is Egyptian, Middle Kingdom, perhaps," Isadora relays the information about the small golden box.

How many hieroglyphs are on it? Is it possible for Isadora to copy them to her notebook while the others are studying the journal?
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,If you keep the sarcophagus you don't need to copy it. If none of you can read it, you'll have to translate it, if you think it's worthwhile. Lots of ifs.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   Isadora wants to copy it to be able to give the hieroglyphs to an outside translator, without handing over the valuable mini-sarcophagus itself.  
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Wolf
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by Wolf »

"I'll take one, Mr Balzac", says Arthur, rising from his bench. "I wonder what the purpose of this Egyptian item is. We should probably search whatever the professor knew about it in the journal, before opening or manipulating it. Mr Glynn, could you read it?"
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

OOC:   Henry will flick through the journal and assuming it's in English he'll read out what initially seem to him the most interesting bits, especially anything about spells or the Egyptian item.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Before the heroes can take any further action, the door to Putnam's room opens, and Agnes and Bernard exit. Agnes is weeping with her face buried in her hands. Bernard is attempting to comfort her, although half-heartedly.

"Dennis is dead!" she wails.
Wolf
Layman
Layman

Post by Wolf »

Arthur approaches the now-widowed Mrs Putnam, with a sad look on his face
"We're all very sorry for your loss. He was a very dear friend of us. If there's anything we could do for you, you can ask."
OOC:   Arthur will try to position himself in front of Agnes and Bernard, blocking the line of sight between them and Isadora.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm so sorry," says Alice, sobbing. She would have hugged Agnes, but right now she's covered with the professor's blood and doesn't want to get it on her.
OOC,History roll (30% skill) about the box: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Bernard pumps himself up self-righteously. "What were you all talking about in there?" He glares around at the investigators. "I demand that you tell me!"
OOC:   Arthur - roll for Luck  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora slips the small sarcophagus into her handbag...
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry slips the journal into the pocket of his overcoat and attempts to usher Bernard away from the group. "There, there Bernard. You've had a terrible shock. He was a great man. Perhaps you need a seat? There's a bench over there by the window..."
Wolf
Layman
Layman

Post by Wolf »

ooc,Arthur Rolls Luck(60%): [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Although Henry is able to secrete the journal, Bernard's beady eye spys Isadora hiding the sarcophagus. Also, Alice still has the box and the property deed.

"What are those?" he screeches. "That's my father's property! Show it to me!"
Wolf
Layman
Layman

Post by Wolf »

"Calm down, Mr. These items were entrusted to us by your father for academical purposes. They belong to Miskatonic Ubiversity and shall be returned after they've been thoroughly studied. You should worry for your mother's state; after this tremendous loss she needs her sons comfort and support."
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

OOC:   If Bernard even pauses for thought Henry ushers everyone through the nearest exit ...  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Bernard ignores Arthur and walks over to Alice. Before she can react he grabs the deed from her hand. His eyes light up as he begins to read.

"A house!" he cries triumphantly. "By rights this belongs to me! I mean my mother! I'll be taking this. Keep your university junk."

He glares at Alice.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac approaches Agnes Putnam, bowler in hand. "Madam, we all mourn for your loss. And your son may be right that this property belongs to you. However, your late husband, with his last breath, charged me and my colleagues with making certain enquiries regarding this property, to ensure that it is safe. This is now a debt of honour that we owe to his memory. We need the deed for now. Once we have determined the property to be safe, we will return the deed to you of course."
OOC,Could [b]Balzac[/b] try a [i]Persuade[/i] roll?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, the house is not in a very good state, Mrs. Putnam," says Alice, carefully ignoring Bernard. "It was your husband's dying request that we make it so, and he didn't want you or Bernard to have to concern yourselves."
OOC,[b]Alice[/b] could try too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “Edge of Darkness”