2, Greeenapple Acre Cottage

Despite racing against the rain on your way northwards, the storm finally caught up with you in earnest and with it the night has fallen, abyssal black and riven by lightning. Conditions on the rain-swept road force your speed down to a virtual crawl so that your head-lamps can pierce the gloom and keep you on the path. The only thing certain now is that the weather behind you is worse than that which surrounds you, driving you onwards. What should have been an eventless journey has become something dangerous and unpredictable....

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: 2, Greeenapple Acre Cottage

Post by Priest »

Outside on the rain slicked rear porch,
Sean,has to shout loud to make himself heard above the loud rumbles of thunder. Whether she heard or chose to ignore the shout,the waitress, Mary, runs on without acknowledging Sean’s call. For a fleeting moment Sean sees her pale raincoat fade amongst the darkness of the trees. Behind him, from the kitchen, he hears [b]Keiffer’s[/b] call, followed moments later by a long scream of terror and pain from the trees where Mary Laker had moments before almost disappeared. His strained eyes reveal nothing, yet surely the girl could not have gotten far into those dense trees in this weather. He sees nothing, yet has the distinct feeling that something is watching him from within those trees something that seems to exude a feeling of intense hunger…
Inside the kitchen Dorothy casts around for some foodstuffs, finding a few tins of preserves, mostly fruit. She watches as Sean halts and stares towards the treeline, then continues her chore.

Having called out to Sean, Kieffer follows Alister out into the hall in search of a fuse box…
Alister and Kieffer,the door to your right as you exit the kitchen opens into a study of sorts, there is a large bookcase crammed with books, pamphlets and medical journals. Several glass frames filled with pinned butterflies reveal a passion for Lepidoptera. Against the almost southern wall is a large ornate roll top bureau, several photographs show several different people, though from the similarity of looks you guess they are related. Either side of the fireplace windows look out onto the fringe of trees. There is another closed door in the northern wall…
OOC:   I lost track of who had flashlights, so for simplicity sake we will say that Maynard found a candle in the living room and Dorothy, during her food rummaging, has unearthed a storm lantern with a little oil in. Judith with Emilia is currently standing in the hallway outside the living room, it is dimly lit by the candle in that room and the lantern in the kitchen. Keiffer has a flashlight so Alister can see okay. Sean has another flashlight but he is currently outside so will not benefit any of the rest.  
Maynard,here is a picture of the watch chain, on the left hand side is the watch; on the right the key; in the center is the strange symbol engraved pendant that is tugging at your memory. [img]http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/priest_019/RPG%20Stuff/Dead%20Light/268feae0-9749-4634-954b-a4c5a0b9c7d7_zpss1atwyjb.jpg[/img]
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hurry, something happened to her!" shouts Sean as he rushes towards where he had last seen Mary, his flashlight lighting the way.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

"Slim pickings," Dorothy mutters to herself. She's more interested in what's going on outside, but she did promise herself to get Emilia something to eat. Pickled vegetables, preserves; it's not much, but it's something. Locating the storm lantern is a bit of luck. Now if she can find some matches. If not, she'll have to make use of that candle in the other room. Now if she can just find a can opener, fork and spoon, and a plate.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Sean,Flashlight jerking back and forth with your effort to find out what has happened, you quickly close the gap between the house and the woods. Even with the weather it is a simple task to spot the place where she had entered the trees, the rain soaked ground shows the marks of her shoes remarkably well. All seems quiet, apart from the noises made by the storm. As you shine your light into the trees a feeling of dread seems to engulf you. The noise of the storm seems to dim as if suddenly all your senses are bent on listening for an odd sound perhaps? Is that a shoe, some yards away caught in a bush? Near that pile of ashes, ashes that seem remarkably untouched by the rain that still falls with unrepentant ferocity. And there, hanging from that wind swaying branch, is that a rain hood similar to that worn by the waitress? Surely not… [ooc]At this point[b] Sean[/b] makes a[b] Regular Spot Hidden[/b] and a [b]Luck rol[/b]l please[/ooc]
Attracted by Sean’s desperate cry, Dorothy stops in mid rummage, torn between her need to feed Emilia and her reporters instinct. What was it that her editor said? Oh yeah, “Follow the story, always follow the story” She suddenly realizes that her fingers are tracing the outline of a large box of matches…
Dorothy,[ooc]If [b]Dorothy[/b] chooses to move towards the door in answer to [b]Sean's[/b] words, please roll a[b] Regular Spot Hidden[/b] at a disadvantage (roll twice take the worst - house rule)[/ooc]
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sean can't see much in the darkness, but luck seems to be with him.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (65% skill): [dice]0[/dice] Luck roll (40% stat): [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
spot hidden = 25%[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it keeps reporters alive. Dorothy peeks outside to see what the taxi driver is upset about, but it's too dark to make out anything. She shrugs and lights the lantern. Maybe she'll go outside after she makes sure Emilia is safe and well fed. It's still rotten weather outside, but that's why they call it a storm lantern.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer walks to the door on the northern wall and opens it.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The situation in the cottage at the moment, as Sean reaches the trees…

Dorothy fails to see anything outside other than the flashlight’s erratic movements, but for the brief moment that she is in the doorway she also gets a feeling of being observed from the trees. It is not a nice feeling makes her skin crawl, almost as if underlying that feeling comes an intense feeling of hunger, of need…

Keiffer heads across the study towards the door to the northern wall noting the rooms contents as he does so, as he passes the windows he sees a flashlight moving fast towards the dark trees at the properties rear.

Alister hovers at the study door. To his back is another door. In an intense flash of lightning night is briefly turned to day and in its light he can see alongside the door at his back are two more doors the first of which would seem to have no access to the outside, for no light can be seen coming from beneath. He also notes two more doors, one to his left at the end of the hall, and the other, also to his immediate left. (see map of cottage)

Maynard searches by candle light in the living room.

Judith still waits with Emilia near the front door in the dimly lit hall, the sudden chime of the clock, preceded by a mechanical whirring noise, makes them jump. Emilia giggles nervously… The front door, now closed rattles ominously with every gust of wind and the small glazed panel turns bright with every flash of lightning. A clock, near the front door, chimes the half hour, it is now 11:30pm.
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer

Oh, damn it! thinks Kieffer, as he sees the torchlight. “That must be Sean. Why won’t he leave it be?”

He hesitates, then decides to persist with the door.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Dismissing the light outside, Keiffer pushes open the second door and shines his flashlight around. It’s a bedroom, a man’s bedroom so probably the doc’s. Sparsely furnished it reeks of neatness, from the well made bed, to the slick dustless shine of the few items of furniture. A bedside table on the bed’s right side sports a small bedside lamp with a patterned shade and, carefuly placed next to the lamp, a small leather bound book; a three drawer chest-of-drawers rests against the western wall atop which sits several photo-frames containing smiling faces that mirror those found in the study. Against the room’s southern wall, between the two doors, a large ornate wardrobe houses a full length mirror, slightly tarnished with age.
OOC:   All compass directions are approximate.  
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer sits down heavily on the bed, suddenly fatigued. He longs to be at home, away from all of this. Idly, he picks up the leather-bound book and opens it, squinting in the light of his torch.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Having examined the two bodies as best I can in the candle-light my mind keeps returning to the medallion.

Occult 65%
[dice]0[/dice]

"Now where have I seen that symbol before?" I muse to myself. Giving my head a quick shake to clear it before I turn my attention to the box and white powder.

Physics 71%
[dice]1[/dice]
  I guess the key would open the box, but I can check that in a moment.  
I think to myself. "Now what is this powder I wonder?" Looking quickly around I try to see if there is something I can take a sample with,
Last edited by Cearlan on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Priest wrote:Alister hovers at the study door. To his back is another door. In an intense flash of lightning night is briefly turned to day and in its light he can see alongside the door at his back are two more doors the first of which would seem to have no access to the outside, for no light can be seen coming from beneath. He also notes two more doors, one to his left at the end of the hall, and the other, also to his immediate left. (see map of cottage)
Alister Sergeant

Alister opens the door which seems to have no access to the outside.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sean heads back for the cottage. "She's been turned to ash!" he calls.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

11;30 pm:

In the bedroom Keiffer takes a moment,
Kieffer,The bed feels comfortable and for a brief moment drowsiness almost overcomes you, along with a feeling of despair which may or may not be caused by your situation. For an instant the flashlight flickers ominously and you recall the warning of the gas station manager, A quick shake of the flashlight soon remedies that and you pick up the small leather bound book. The faded gold cross marking on the cover tells you what it is… A bible, pocket sized obviously for travelling, the wear on the cover and the faded quality of the cross adornment speaks of its age. Nonchantly you open the book noting that the cover inside bears a small, handwritten inscription written in a faded blue ink. It reads,[i] “May God have mercy upon the physician”[/i] nothing more marks it from any other bible…
Back in the living room Maynard, with the aid of a small flickering candle continues his search.
Maynard,The symbol he has found on the old man’s watch chain makes him think of that worn on a chain around Emilia’s throat. As to what it is he has no idea, something, he imagines, pertinent to the family. He takes a quick look at the key, then the discarded box, there is no keyhole in the box so whatever this key unlocks it is not the box. Clearing his mind he turns to the white powder, a residue of which remains within the overturned box while the majority lies in a small heap a few feet from the box. Studying it he concludes that the powder had been inside the box and tipped out when the box was opened. Obviously the box had then been discarded when the opener had failed to find any contents worth having. The powder he decides is simple ash, nothing more, obviously the box had contained ash rather than any hoped for valuables. But what can be the connection, if any, to the strange fate of the assailant?
Alister,opens a door, and before him sees a flight of steps leading down into darkness. He has probably found the cellar but without a light he concludes it would be suicidal to attempt those stairs.
Having barely entered the tree edge Sean;
Sean,Luckilly for Sean there is no real evidence that the pile of ashes are the remnants of the waitress, though the idea that they might briefly sets his mind spinning as an image of a half burned body lying twisted and violated springs unbidden in his mind. It is but a brief moment, nothing more. He turns away back towards the cottage where a light betrays the presence of the others in the kitchen. As he does so he has the vague impression of movement to his right. His head snaps round, but there is nothing visible, Instantly a feeling of intense fear and panic seems to flood his body, it tells him that he is in mortal danger, to stay where he is means death. Something is there, something cold and alien, something that exudes a hunger… [color=#FF0040]At this point please make a Con Roll[/color]
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Tossing the book aside, Kieffer rises wearily to his feet. He leaves the room and decides to look for Sean. He seems to be a decent man and Kieffer doesn’t want him to get hurt running around outside.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

HoneyDog wrote:Tossing the book aside, Kieffer rises wearily to his feet. He leaves the room and decides to look for Sean. He seems to be a decent man and Kieffer doesn’t want him to get hurt running around outside.
OOC:   The first thing he will see as he leaves the room is Alister standing before a doorway.  
- Anais Nin
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Alister Sergeant

"I've found the cellar..." reports Alister to the person who enters the room - it's Kieffer.

"Where is everybody?" he asks. It took just a few seconds for the group to scatter all around the place. He goes to look for Sean with Kieffer.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Ash?" Dorothy reacts to Sean's shout. "She must have been hit by lightning! If the storm's that bad we've got to stay inside!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sean runs back to the cottage for all he's worth, moving with incredible stamina.
OOC,CON roll (60% stat) in the woods: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Dead Light (7th Edition)”