2, Greeenapple Acre Cottage

Despite racing against the rain on your way northwards, the storm finally caught up with you in earnest and with it the night has fallen, abyssal black and riven by lightning. Conditions on the rain-swept road force your speed down to a virtual crawl so that your head-lamps can pierce the gloom and keep you on the path. The only thing certain now is that the weather behind you is worse than that which surrounds you, driving you onwards. What should have been an eventless journey has become something dangerous and unpredictable....

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: 2, Greeenapple Acre Cottage

Post by Priest »

Dorothy fighting her reporter’s instincts to follow the story shows genuine concern for Emilia’s plight. But realizes that she may be the only one who witnessed the disappearance of Mary Laker. At her question she notices that Emilia is exhibiting the same form of confusion as she had when they had first encountered her. For a moment she looks towards you, then with a wide eyed stare she attempts to push past you into the living room, “Grandfather…Where?…Light!!!” she wails in a voice that rises in pitch and volume with every word.

However the sudden rush from the room of a distraught looking Sean, stops her from making further progress and within seconds the doorway is blocked by Maynard.

From within the room comes Keiffer’s shouted query about fuse boxes. A fraction of a moment later Sean directs the question to the pale faced Emilia, “Cellar” she replies in an uncaring voice, it is obvious that she has her mind focused on the living room. Neither Sean or Dorothy is sure whose question she was answering.
OOC:   Maynard should now make a Sanity Roll for viewing the room (1/1d4)  
Keiffer,the box is lying on its side, its lid open as if dropped. It is empty although a small residue of the white powder remains showing where the main amount had come from. A close look at the powder reveals it to be nothing more than ash. It would seem that the box contained ashes of some description. But why would anyone keep a box of ashes in their living room? And although the box looked as if it might be valuable, Keiffer recognizes an antique when he sees one and this is no antique. It looks as if the box had been sealed by wax of some sort… [img]http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/priest_019/RPG%20Stuff/Dead%20Light/e1774a_zpsnwzxz3bk.jpg[/img]
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer doesn’t touch the ash. “Is it connected to what burned the young man?” he thinks. He begins to have a very bad feeling about the whole situation.

He steps past Maynard, who has entered the room. In the hall he sees Emilia. Emilia, I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but your grandfather is dead. I think he was killed by another man, a younger man. He’s dead too.”

He glances at Dorothy. “But I don’t think your grandfather killed him.”

He raises his voice so that everyone can hear. “We should all leave here now. Go back to the diner. This is a matter for the police.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Judith blanches, fervently wishing she had never caught this ride. "But what if whoever did this is still out there in the woods? Some crazed inbred hillbilly? And we need to find that waitress, she's disappeared somewhere inside." She grips Emilia's arm to steady her (and herself).
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer gives Judith a level gaze. “You’re right, we may not be completely safe in the woods. But I’m willing to take the chance. Let’s call for the waitress, and if she chooses not to come, then we’ll have to leave without her. Why did she disappear anyway?”

He places the shotgun on the floor. He doesn’t want to be walking around with a murder weapon.

"Sean! Forget the fuses. Let's get out of here".
OOC:   I'm not sure if Sean is still there or not, so the strength of his voice will reflect whatever the distance is.  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

At Keiffer’s words, Emilia’s eyes widen with shock, “Grandfather, NO!!” she screams in a highpitched wail. With a burst of strength she attempts to push past Dorothy and Keiffer into the living room, but is not able to get past Maynard. Ineffectually pushing at the larger man blocking the doorway she sobs, “They killed him”
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Maynard Heldstom - Psychic Investigator
Maynard turns and grips Emilia by the shoulders and tries to turn her away from the room with that awful sight that he just witnessed.
San 60,[dice]0[/dice]
Shaken he wonders what could have happened in there as his retional mind searches to assert itself and find some sort of rationale behind these events.

"Miss Emilia, I don't think it would help at all if you were to go in there, despite your wanting to. Best to leave it to the professionals my dear." He looks around for someone to take the obviously distraught girl away, growing eager to get inside the room and see if he can try and work out a chain of events.
Last edited by Cearlan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

"Who did it, Emilia? Who did this horrible thing?" Dorothy has mixed feelings about questioning the distraught woman, but maybe she knows something. A real life mystery, and somehow it isn't as much fun as it is in the movies.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That waitress is involved in this up to her eyeballs," says Sean. "All this time she's been up to something. She was trying to meet someone at the diner's back door or slip away or something, she tried to keep us from coming here, and now she's run off on her own. Maybe she didn't kill anyone personally, but I think she must be involved in the murders somehow. We have to find her, and for that we'll need light. I say we find the fuse box in the cellar and try to get the power back on."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer

“It’s not the waitress I’m worried about, it’s whatever killed that other man”. He hesitates. “I think we’re in a very serious situation here. We need to find out what’s going on. Okay, let’s get the lights back on. I’ll come too.”

He picks up the shotgun again.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Alister Sergeant

Alister doesn't really know how to speak to traumatized young girls, so he joins the "expedition" to the cellar.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Judith draws Emilia gently back into the entrance hallway, making soothing noises. "I'll wait here with her," she says to the men, casting a nervous glance outside.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

With Emilia safely in the care of Judith, Maynard turns back to the living room. Steeling himself against the horrific sight.
Maynard,I have already described the contents of the room, and Keiffer has already picked up the shotgun. However if you wish to search further please carry on, who knows what you might find.
At Dorothy’s question she turns her pale face towards her, a sudden light of awareness filling her, until now, sad eyes. “The two masked men. They burst in catching us by suprise. One was armed with a shotgun the other with an iron bar. Grandfather tried to grab the gun while I threw a poker at the iron bar armed thug. The last thing I remember is hearing the bang of the gun and then something hit me hard. I saw lights and then blackness. When I came round Grandfather lay bleeding near the hearth and one of the men, the one with the gun I think, was dead. Burned and horribly mutilated”. She pauses as if remembering something she did not wish to remember, “I heard the front door open and a scream of terror, I saw from the window the other man running and sliding towards the trees. He seemed to be followed by something I have never seen before…A light that flowed like water yet sparked and flickered like lightning…It was, I think, chasing him and for a brief moment I felt a feeling of intense hunger”

Together Sean and the re-armed Keiffer, accompanied by a worried looking Alister, move towards the second door in search of a cellar. For the moment ignoring the other doors off the hallway to their left. The door opens into the kitchen where another door to their right swings freely in the wind. A lack of rain water inside the door reveals it to have been opened recently. The room is furnished with a long table with four matching chairs, the usual sink and draininer in front of a window that provides a view of the back porch and the rear garden as it enters the woods, a simple stove and an ornate cupboard filled with crockery and foodstuffs. A sudden movement in the darkness of the garden catches your attention, a figure in a pale coloured raincoat and hood is running towards the woods. For a moment you hesitate, then think, wasn’t that waitress dressed like that?

- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Astonished by Emilia's story, and a little more excited than she should be, Dorothy tries to puzzle out this mystery. Obviously a robbery gone badly wrong, but who killed the gunman and scared off the other crook? Somebody with a bright lantern of some kind. Maybe a self-appointed vigilante. That religious woman's avenging angel? Doesn't seem like the kind of thing a woman could do on her own, but that waitress knows a lot more than she's saying.

"Keep an eye on her," she says to Judith. "I'm going to try to rustle up some grub. She looks like she could use a decent meal."

She heads to the kitchen area, now that the men have located it and not found anything else distressing, judging by their reactions.

Odd that Emilia should have mentioned being hungry when she saw the light from that lantern or whatever it was. She must really be starving, poor dear.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Maynard Heldstom - Psychic Investigator
Bowing his head and taking a deep breath to calm himself and steel his nerves Maynard slowly enters the room.

First he approached the older man who he guesses is Emilia's grandsire and walks round the corpse before checking for a pulse he knows he'll not find.

"Hmm the shock of the gunshot would probably have seen off the old timer," he says to himself.

Next he moves over to the disjointed and half burned young man.

"What the ..." he starts to say. "I've heard of spontaneous combustion before but this is just too weird. His legs look as though they have been burned to a cinder and his blood boiled. That must have been some heat to cause that damage. Now that spontaneous combustion in ... San Fransisco was it was sitting in a chair that was not burned. Maybe there was more to that than I thought."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sean hurries outside after Mary. "Miss Laker, come back!" he calls. "It's not safe out there!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Maynard,As you thought the old man is dead, if not from the loss of blood and tissue damage resulting from being hit by a 20 gauge shell at close range, then from the shock caused. The damage is mostly contained to his shoulder, the range so close that the shotgun balls had little time to spread. Even his watch continues to tick on steadily. A watch that is worn on a chain across his waistcoat, a double chain that also contains a round disc pendent about which something nags at your mind. On the other chain’s end you find an ornate looking key, The kind that might fit a drawer perhaps or a bureau… Swallowing hard against the stomach churning corpse of the young man, you note that it seems as if the majority of burn damage has occurred in the leg region. Although the remaining tissue shows extensive damage, pressure damage you think, it reminds you of photographs you had seen in text books during your physics course of men who had surfaced too fast from diving work. The ‘Bends’ it is called in the trade. As you stand in thought of the state of the body, a bulge in the jacket makes you wonder if a wallet is present. The corpse is undisturbed so unlikely to have been searched. A wallet containing a single dollar bill also contains the name, Clemuel Miller as well as a small photograph of a young smiling female who bears an uncanny likeness to the waitress. On the reverse someone has written in a very petite handwriting,[i] “To Clem all my love, Mary”[/i]…
In the kitchen Dorothy enters just in time to see Sean rush through the back door onto the rear porch and hear him shout…
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Looks like the chicken flew the coop," Dorothy says as she tries to fix something for Emilia to eat. "I don't trust that dame. You guys gonna take after her too?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Judith, waiting in the hallway with Emilia, is aghast at the young woman's tale. "But why would anyone wish to ... to attack you or your grandfather, the doctor?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Alister Sergeant

"The waitress again? Mr. O'Reilly, I think it's no use... She clearly has her own agenda."

Alister turns to Keiffer: "Let's keep searching for the fuse box."

He tries to find his way around the house and continues towards the cellar.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer

“Yes, leave her Sean!” Kieffer calls out. “It’s not worth it. Come back to the house with us”.

Return to “Dead Light (7th Edition)”