2, Greeenapple Acre Cottage

Despite racing against the rain on your way northwards, the storm finally caught up with you in earnest and with it the night has fallen, abyssal black and riven by lightning. Conditions on the rain-swept road force your speed down to a virtual crawl so that your head-lamps can pierce the gloom and keep you on the path. The only thing certain now is that the weather behind you is worse than that which surrounds you, driving you onwards. What should have been an eventless journey has become something dangerous and unpredictable....

Moderator: Priest

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: 2, Greeenapple Acre Cottage

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

"Fire!" Dorothy shouts. "We've got to get Emilia out of here! Help me drag her outside," she says to Judith.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

When Dorothy shouts, Sean rushes back into the kitchen to help carry Emilia outside.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Alister Sergeant

Weirdly, Alister is relieved that there is "just" some fire raging in the other room, and not a sentient ball lightning. This is something he can probably deal with. He looks into the room to see what exactly is burning. If it's only the drapes and they aren't burning heavily, he runs in, tears them down, throws them on the floor, and starts stomping them.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Despite Dorothy's warning shout Judith freezes, caught between escaping the fire and encountering the deadly light she saw outside...
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

The cottage interior erupts into noise and action as Keiffer and Alister rush into the living room and attempt to stop the fire from taking hold and spreading around the room. Luckily the drapes are a few seconds from open flame and it is a relatively easy task to rip them from the window and quickly stomp the embers. As he helps pull the smoking material from its pole, Alister notices something on the window frame itself, it looks like recently scorched paint as something incredibly hot had been close to the frame. Hotter than the burning drapes it is localized to a couple of feet near the bottom left of the window frame. Oblivious to this Keiffer continues his wild stomping making sure that no ember remains to spring to life.

At Dorothy’s shout Sean spins on his heels and rushes back to the kitchen to aid her in dragging the still unconscious Emilia towards the backdoor. As he does so he notes that both Dorothy and Judith look panicked. With Judith almost frozen in place as she looks pale faced, eyes filled with terror at the back door…
OOC:   At this point Maynard and Keiffer may attempt Regular Spot Hidden’s and Judith may attempt a Regular Listen with advantage (Roll twice use best. Your recent experience has heightened your senses slightly)  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer beats and stomps the drapes until he is sure that the fire is out. He shudders with relief. Taking out his handkerchief, he wipes the sweat from his eyes.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 40: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/498780]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]97[/b]
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Priest wrote: Alister notices something on the window frame itself, it looks like recently scorched paint as something incredibly hot had been close to the frame. Hotter than the burning drapes it is localized to a couple of feet near the bottom left of the window frame.
Alister Sergeant points out this detail to Keiffer: "Look, it's all scorched!"

Alister checks the condition of the window glass.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“So it is” says Kieffer, peering at the spot indicated by Alister. “How could this have happened?”

He grabs Alister by the arm. “We need to start figuring out what’s going on here. Why are those people dead? What’s doing this? We need to talk to the girl, Emilia. She might know something. Are you with me?”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Regular Listen = 50[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   Equal 50 just gets it.  
In the kitchen Judith turns toward Dorothy and Sean in alarm. "Listen! Did you hear that?"
Last edited by Rooter on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

HoneyDog wrote:“So it is” says Kieffer, peering at the spot indicated by Alister. “How could this have happened?”

He grabs Alister by the arm. “We need to start figuring out what’s going on here. Why are those people dead? What’s doing this? We need to talk to the girl, Emilia. She might know something. Are you with me?”
"Yes!" Alister nods.

He heads back to the previous room.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Hear what?" Dorothy is confused by Judith's words. "Come on, lady, snap out of it! This place could burn to the ground!"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   The following occurs in the moments before Alister and Keiffer return to the kitchen.  
Sean and Dorothy pause in mid step at Judith’s words. Dorothy stares momentarily at the Englishwoman, a mixture of feelings flashing through her being, surely this was no time to stand around.
Judith listens intently to a small scratching sound that seems to emanate from the stove, a sound not unlike the furtive movements of some small animal, or the slithering of a snake perhaps…
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"There's something moving inside the stove," Judith whispers.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Now you can all hear it…Something is moving, crawling, sliding down the flu to the stove. The sound makes your skin crawl in anticipation, goose bumps rise all over your arms and cold shivers run down your spines…
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Maynard's Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden base 25%

[dice]0[/dice]
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Dorothy can feel the hairs on the back of her neck rise. "I don't care what kind of critter is stuck in the stove, I've just got the feeling it's not friendly. Let's get out of here."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer returns to the others.

"There was a fire starting in the living room" he tells them, "but we took care of it. God knows how it..."

He trails off when he sees their frightened faces. "What is it?" he asks.

Then he too hears the noise...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sean quickly looks to see if there's any way he can jam the stove door shut, perhaps by sticking an object through the handle.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Sean quickly finds something to push into the handle of the stove and prevent it from opening. As he does so he can feel a tremendous heat radiating from the flu pipe It seems to be moving down towards the stove itself at speed, As it moves Sean can feel the heat rising fast, the black heat resistant coating of the flu is bubbling as it liquefies…

Dorothy takes a step towards the back door, her intended target, Ice cold fear making her legs seem ready to betray her at any moment. With Sean having released Emilia, Dorothy feels the full dead weight of the woman…

Keiffer, having rushed in from the living room, goes pale faced as he hears the noise from the flu. He halts as Sean thrusts a ladle through the door handle of the kitchen stove, even from here he can trace the movement of something incredibly hot within the flu…

White faced Judith looks on, her face awash with indecision, does she run or stay? While from the hallway outside the kitchen fast footsteps would seem to announce the imminent arrival of Alister and Maynard

At this precise moment Emilia's eyes flutter open, first filled with confusion, they widen as realisation begins to hit home, "What? Who?...Where's Grandfather? The box...The Light"
OOC:   You have but moments of response time  
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

At the mention of ‘the box’, Kieffer runs back to the living room and picks up the mysterious box from the floor. Did the thing in the flue come from the box? Perhaps it can be trapped inside. He dashes back to the kitchen.

Return to “Dead Light (7th Edition)”