1. An encounter on a lonely road

Despite racing against the rain on your way northwards, the storm finally caught up with you in earnest and with it the night has fallen, abyssal black and riven by lightning. Conditions on the rain-swept road force your speed down to a virtual crawl so that your head-lamps can pierce the gloom and keep you on the path. The only thing certain now is that the weather behind you is worse than that which surrounds you, driving you onwards. What should have been an eventless journey has become something dangerous and unpredictable....

Moderator: Priest

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   Hard spot hidden 25%

[dice]0[/dice]

As a hard roll is halved then I passed - just  
Maynard peers into the gloom - what was that I saw at the edge of my vision, just over there. The I hear someone shout something to me that I could not make out.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Half in and half out of the truck’s cab, despite the downpour, Maynard reaches towards the switch for the ignition key. As he does so something catches his eye A Strange flicker of light that lasts a brief moment then is gone. Stare as hard as you might but no trace of the light remains, nothing to indicate it having been nothing more than a reflection perhaps of the trucks lights on the rain. Yet for a moment you had the feeling that something was watching you, something that evoked a primeval fear within your very being. A shiver runs through you and you half hear someone shouting about ‘lights’ and a ‘battery’ but the wind driven words fail to register.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

With a sigh of relief, Dorothy, reaches for and turns the door handle, a sudden blast of wind almost succeeding snatching the door from her grasp. Inside the well-lit, tiled, and scrubbed diner, are five people. One, a middle aged man, face adorned by an old fashioned style of moustache, is leaning across a table toward another, thick set, man who sits, head in hands, opposite. On the other side of the long tiled counter stands a rather bored looking waitress, a tag pinned to her floral apron naming her as ‘Mary’, one hand nonchantly twisting an errant lock of hair while constantly chewing some gum from one side of her mouth to the other. She looks up with a start as the door flies open to admit you accompanied by an enormous blast of wind which sets hanging lights swinging wildly and throws ice cold rain towards the counter. Recovering from her surprise the waitress, curls forgotten, sends her hand flashing, instinctively, towards a large steaming pot of coffee...

The drama of your entrance also focuses the attention of the other occupants. All except an elderly couple sat together at a table in the far corner who are seemingly more intent on staring out the window into the darkness than showing interest in your arrival.
“Oh! Did you see that, Teddy?” says the elderly lady in a whisper loud enough to grace any stage production, “Over there beyond the truck, something bright”

However, the interest in your arrival is fleeting. At the table the thick set man slams his hands, palms down, on the table top and looks up fiercely at the mustachioed man, “I tell you I seed it. It damn near drove me offen the road. Hell it caused me to crash my damn truck” From the tone of his voice, more than a little shaky with underlying fear, he is not looking for any argument or explanation, “A dead light, that what it were, a dead light and it’s coming this damned way”

As soon as the woman is brought into the diner, recognition is instant and widely spread;

Mary, the waitress, looks up with a start, “Emilia, Emilia Webb, why you out in this weather honey? And where’s your granpappy?” Instantly at the waitress’ words attention turns to the woman now identified as Emilia Webb.

Moustache leaves the table and rushes over, “Emilia Webb, what the heck?” Behind him, seated still at the table, the thick set man shakes his head no longer the center of attention, “Dead light it were, dead light fer sure”. As he speaks the air outside is split by the largest fork of lighting that any of you has ever seen, at the same moment the door flies open giving access to the wind and rain. Lights dance, mugs and plates piled on the counter are swept to the floor landing with a crash that is all but lost in a loud boom of thunder that would seem to be directly above the building.

Then as if in answer to this orchestral fanfare of God’s wrath, the lights go out!!!!!!!!
- Anais Nin
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Alister Sergeant

A whole group of grown-up people scared by lightning? Clearly not, clearly there is something else... Alister walks over to the table where the two men sit and asks the truck driver: "I'm sorry, do you say your truck was hit by lightning? What do you mean by dead light?"

Then the diner goes dark...

"Who has the flashlight?"
Last edited by evil_scientist on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sean pauses on the way to the diner when he passes his empty cab to shut off the engine, take the keys, and lock it.

"I've got it," says Sean when he enters the diner. He turns on the flashlight and shines it around.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

With all the interest of the diner’s occupants focused on the arrival of the young woman in a borrowed overcoat that is several sizes too large, Alister finds little difficulty reaching the table where the thick set character, eyes dark, sits moaning about ‘Dead Lights’ and his truck. Alister looms over him, his nostrils assaulted by the mixture of odours rising from the guys stained overalls. Pigs and liquor, he thinks, and cheap booze at that.

At Alister’s question the big guy stares at him, as if judging whether he was being serious or just funning. He half rises from his seat, and you get the feeling that he is not the kind of guy you want to have think you are laughing at him. As he moves you can see heavy muscle toned by years of hard labour rippling under his long sleeved vest, stained and damp.

“A Dead light over yonder in the trees. Something odd in the way it moved, like something I aint never seed before. It made me crash my truck and it looked like it were coming this way…fast” he manages to say before the lights fail and the diner is plunged into darkness.

In the darkness you hear the door swing open and a familiar voice answers your question about the flashlight as its yellow beam illuminates the room.

In the flashlight’s beam you can see the occupants momentarily frozen by the sudden failure of the lights. To Seans eye it looks like all of his passengers are here, all except that spook investigator guy and he was just behind him. He sees that almost all the attention of the occupants is towards the unknown woman, except a thick set guy in overalls who is talking to…Alister? Yeah that’s his name, and an old couple who sit by themselves in the far corner.
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer

"Excuse me" says Kieffer nervously. "Where is the fuse box?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Still close to the distraught young woman's side in the gloom, Judith peers at the mustached man who came hurrying over at their entrance. At his evident concern, she quickly explains the circumstances of how they came to find her on the road. "I presume Emilia, as you say, is known to you?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

For a brief moment before Sean’s appearance with the flashlight confusion reins. Keiffer, who had entered the diner hot on the heels of Alister and the women, looks around nervously. In answer to Keiffer's question the moustached man points a finger to a cupboard above the serving hatch to the kitchen, “Its up there, but I doubt it’s a fuse. More’n likely this damned storm powers been on and off all evening”

No doubt the reassurance of the flashlight is having an effect, as he turns to Judith and in a voice that that carries more concern than fear, answers, “Sure everyone around here knows Emilia Webb and her grandpappy old Doc Webb up at Greenacre Cottage. But what the heck happened to her, poor child looks as if she’s been through the mill? And where’s the doc?”

“Maybe she could use a cup of coffee?” says the waitress, Mary, from the other side of the counter, “Or maybe something a bit stronger? I guess she could use the First Aid kit we keep out back in the kitchen, I’ll get it” She turns and disappears through the door to the kitchen…
OOC:   At this point any character with the Psychology Skill may try a roll for a general check  
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer
Psychology,Psychology 30%: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/488323]Psychology[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]100[/b], Oh God, strike me down
Kieffer fumbles his way to the counter and holds on.
Last edited by HoneyDog on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Priest wrote:“A Dead light over yonder in the trees. Something odd in the way it moved, like something I aint never seed before. It made me crash my truck and it looked like it were coming this way…fast” he manages to say before the lights fail and the diner is plunged into darkness.
Alister Sergeant

"Poor Emilia here clearly encountered this light phenomenon that made you crash your truck," Alister says to the truck driver. "She is in a shock, on the outside she shouted about a 'light' too... And she was calling for somebody, but we didn't see anybody around."

"We have to wait out the storm here in the diner."

Alister agrees that Emilia needs coffee for sure.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Outside the diner the storm is still raging, wind driven rain is flung against the windows like pebbles their clattering reports almost seeming to drown out any conversation below a shout. Even with the windows closed and the door shut fast the unmistakable howl of the wind through nearby treetops seems to provide a suitable accompaniment to the successive rumbles of deafening thunder. It would seem the storm is right above you now. Inside the diner the limited light thrown by Sean’s flashlight is enhanced by a never ending flicker of lightning.

Keiffer moves towards the counter, fuse box seemingly forgotten. Alister, perhaps wary of upsetting the big man, turns to where the waitress had been standing at the counter agreeing that a cup of strong coffee might be good for the woman now identified as Emilia Webb. However she has gone, perhaps to get the first aid kit from the kitchen as she had suggested. Dorothy watches her go, shrugs and picking up the coffee pot pours a cup of the hot strong liquid and takes a sip, holding tight to the cup and turning her back as the door opens to admit a bedraggled looking Maynard.

The middle aged guy with the moustache quickly grabs another cup and, taking the coffee pot from Dorothy, pours a generous amount into the cup. Holding it out towards Emilia he says in a gentle, coaxing manner, “Now girl drink this it’ll make you feel better. So where is your grandpappy, and what the heck were you doing out on a wild night like thisn?”

With each gust of maniacal wind the wooden building seems to shudder as if about to be blown from its foundations. In the semi-darkness of the far corner the elderly couple hold hands across the table. He is mumbling something in a prayer like fashion, while she suddenly points out through a gap in the blinds, although how she can see anything through the fogged, rain riven window is anyone’s guess, and announces, “See Teddy, an angel of the Lord has come to deliver us from this our hour of torment”
OOC:   At this point any character may try a Spot Hidden Roll to see if they can see what the old lady is referring to. The lower the score the better the chance.  
- Anais Nin
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Alister Sergeant

Alister turns towards the window and tries to glance the "angel"...

Spot Hidden 45%
[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sean has an excellent read on the people in the diner. "I can take a look at the fuse box," he says. "I know a little about electrical stuff." Then he turns to look at what the elderly couple have seen.
OOC,Psychology roll (40% skill) in the diner: [dice]0[/dice] Spot Hidden roll (65% skill) in the diner: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 40%: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/488680]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]67[/b]
Intrigued by the old lady’s claim, Kieffer finds his way to the window but cannot see anything apart from his own face reflected back at him, and it is beginning to look a bit strained.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Regular Spot Hidden = 50[dice]0[/dice]
Judith's gaze is drawn by the old woman's cry.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

At the old ladies words several people look around to try and see what she sees. Keiffer looks over but is too far from the elderly couple to see anything through the window. He shrugs and turns back to the counter. Alister turns towards the window noting that the big man is also looking to where the old lady is gazing. Burns' reaction, however, is totally unexpected, small beads of sweat break out on his forehead and begin to track down his paling face and his widening eyes.
“That’s it the dead light. I told you it was headin’ here, now were all gonna die”. Suddenly he is in motion, as with a violent heave he throws himself clear of the table and towards the door…

Judith also turned to see if she could see anything, for a moment she stares unblinking…
Judith,Although your view is obscured by distance and circumstance, for a brief moment you are sure you saw something, All that remains is a vague impression of a flickering light in the road that seemed to be moving, but not in the way lightning moves. However the impression is brief and you could attribute it to many things, a rain drop on the outside of the window, a mark on the glass reflecting a distant light? It was so fast you can’t be certain that you saw anything at all. About to dismiss it as simply a trick of the light on an overstretched imagination, you are about to return to the side of Miss Webb when the reaction of the large foul smelling man halts you in your tracks…
In the moments before the old ladies exclamation, Sean, moving towards the fuse box, catches sight of the waitress disappearing into the kitchen…
Sean,Something in the waitress’ demeanor doesn’t quite add up. You can’t put your finger on it, but you would swear she is hiding something. Then a commotion behind you draws your attention. It seems the old lady is claiming to have seen something, you look but there is nothing to see. However whatever she saw seems to have had an electric effect on the big guy that Alister had been talking to, for suddenly he is shouting something about dead light and running towards the diner’s door. And something tells you that he is determined not to be stopped.
OOC:   Given the suddeness of Jake Burns' move, only the following three characters have a chance of stopping him before he reaches the door; Alister, Keiffer and Maynard. This is an Opposed Skill Roll with a minus 2d10 penalty for the character (due to Blakes' sudden action) you may choose to check any skill you think appropriate.  
- Anais Nin
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Alister Sergeant

"No! Stop!" screams Alister and leaps after Jake Burns. For some reason, he definitely does not want to let the "light", whatever it might be, into the diner.

Fighting (Brawl) 45%
-2d10: [dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer

“What the hell is wrong with these folks?” thinks Kieffer.

“Where are you going?”
he shouts, but he makes no move to stop the man.
OOC:   I'm not being funny but I can't think of why we would want to prevent the guy from leaving if he wants...  
He sees Alister jump on Burns.

"Christ, they're all going nuts" he thinks, alarmed now.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

As the big man lurches forward, Alister makes a bold attempt to halt him but the big man easily shakes him free hardly missing a stride. Keiffer looks wonderingly at Alister’s mad attempt to halt Burns, it is like watching a squirrel try to stop a bear in full flight, he shakes his head and returns his attention to the counter in front of him.
Burns,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/488805]To avoid Alister[/url]: [u]1d100-10[/u] [b]27[/b]
The moustached man (Keelham) also looks on in wonderment, but shows no inclination to get involved.

Caught in mid step the recently arrived Maynard quickly gauges up the situation. Burns, his eyes now rolling wildly in fear runs straight at him, “Get outa my way!!!” screams the huge man, balled fists begining to windmill wildly...
OOC:   I think I got the opposed roll wrong (the rules seem to be for real life dice rolls and not for a dice roller) I think Alister should have added the d10 scores to his final roll while Burns gets 1d10 to take away from his. So Allister gets a score of 52 while Burns scores 27. Burns keeps moving Alister is shrugged aside :?  
- Anais Nin

Return to “Dead Light (7th Edition)”