1. An encounter on a lonely road

Despite racing against the rain on your way northwards, the storm finally caught up with you in earnest and with it the night has fallen, abyssal black and riven by lightning. Conditions on the rain-swept road force your speed down to a virtual crawl so that your head-lamps can pierce the gloom and keep you on the path. The only thing certain now is that the weather behind you is worse than that which surrounds you, driving you onwards. What should have been an eventless journey has become something dangerous and unpredictable....

Moderator: Priest

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby HoneyDog » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:48 am

Kieffer goes to fetch the other flashlight from the office before everyone leaves .
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby evil_scientist » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:38 am

Alister Sergeant

Alister fills up a thermos with hot coffee and takes some cake, then joins the rest of the crew.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Priest » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Turning up his overcoat collar and pulling his hat firmly on his head, Keiffer moves out of the diner heading for the office. The first thing he notices is the gusting wind isn’t quite as fierce as it was earlier, although it still flings cold rain into his face with a stinging force.

It is only a hundred yards or so to the wooden building marked ‘Office’ and as he nears the door he can see that a solitary light bulb burns within. The door is unlocked and opens easily to his grip, although a sudden blast of wing threatens to rip the handle from his grasp, driving the door open and sending the lone lightbulb spinning on its bare cable. Crazy shadows dance in answer to the bulbs movement and Keiffer feels the short hair on his neck rise in anticipation. But the small office proves empty, containing little more than a board with switches on it, a few shelves with files etc, and an open, empty cash register.

He can see a flashlight as Keelham had said on a shelf above the pump switch, as he reaches towards it he spots something else. A small brown paper package marked .22, inside he finds twelve new .22 handgun shells…

OOC:   At this point Keiffer may try a Regular Spot Hidden with an advantage (Roll 2d100 and choose the lowest - houserule)  

As Keiffer heads for the office, Sean crosses to the road. In the beam of the flashlight he can see that any ideas of using his car is a no go. What was the main road south to Arkham is now nothing more than a river in which dark swirling waters carry all manner of torn branches and storm debris. He judges that it will be some hours yet before anyone is driving out of here. He looks around at the looming shape of the cattle truck almost becoming a dam as the debris packs against it. He notices that the driver’s door, open earlier is now closed and it seems the passenger door is now the one open to the elements…

OOC:   At this point Sean may try a Regular Spot Hidden.  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby HoneyDog » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:22 pm

Kieffer takes the flashlight, noting the bag of shells. As he turns the flashlight on to check it, its beam picks out something of interest.

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 40: Spot Hidden: 1d100 2
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Priest » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:12 pm

In the beam of the flashlight Keiffer’s eye is caught by the dull gleam of a pistol's butt protruding from an old cardboard box below the cash register, really just a drawer with cash box inside. Closer inspection shows it to be an old but serviceable .22 pistol. Its oily smell and gleam showing it as being well maintained, while the lack of any powder smell would seem to show that it has not been fired in a long while. The chamber looks loaded with the full compliment of six bullets.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby HoneyDog » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:48 am

The pistol is tempting but Kieffer doesn't take it. He can't go helping himself to other people's things,just because he's uneasy. He leaves the office with the flashlight.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:15 am

Image

Sean is able to see very clearly in the darkness.

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden roll (65% skill) outside:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
8
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Priest » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:06 pm

Spoiler:
As you pan the light around taking in the state of the road and the cattle truck that has effectively blocked the road northwards. The light reflects off something metallic lying in the mud near the open passenger door of the truck. Carefully picking your way through the water and mud, you see it is a single metal button, the kind that might be found fastening a pair of overalls. From its condition you would guess that it hasn’t lain here long, no more than a few minutes. It makes you think of the farmer, Burns, who had been the source of the ruckus in the diner. Last anyone had heard of him was the old lady claiming that he had gone off with the angel. A closer examination shows that the button has a small amount of blue material attached to it, as if it had been torn free. Burns had been wearing a pair of blue overalls you seem to recall.

Looking around you can see a single track of bootsteps heading towards the woods to the west. Whoever made them was running the length of the stride shows that. The trail leads to the edge of the woods but you can see no more, also there is only one set of footsteps so if there was an angel, she sure wasn’t moving on the ground.


Slowly, some with a reluctance that might not be due to the weather, you assemble outside the diner. Collars turned up against the wind and rain, which although having diminished slightly still stings exposed flesh. The door to the office opens and Kieffer armed with a flashlight heads over. You jump, instinctively, as a streak of lightning forks earthwards, exploding somewhere behind the diner, it seems the violence of the storm is not finished yet.

Over where there had been a road, but now seeming little more than a fast moving creek, you can see your driver, Sean, looking at something on the ground, as you watch he moves towards the trees light still pointing down as if following something…
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Cearlan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Maynard calls out behind him as he hurries to catch up;

"Hey there, c'mon people we gotta stick together in this weather and with so few lights to go round."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
User avatar
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:47 pm
Location: South Shields; Tyne & Wear; UK

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby HoneyDog » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:48 pm

Kieffer walks up to where the others are preparing to leave. He sees Sean and calls out to him.

"Excuse me... Driver? Are you okay?"
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:25 am

Image

"Thanks, I'm fine," says Sean, "but I don't think Mr. Burns is." He shines his flashlight on the button he found. "That's one of the buttons from his overalls, and it looks like it's been torn off. " Then he points the beam of light at the tracks he found. "Looks like he fled into the woods over to the west, running fast. I don't see any tracks of anyone chasing him, though."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Priest » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:14 am

Dorothy, secure in her borrowed raincoat despite its size, crosses to where the two men are in conversation. Just in time to hear the driver mentioning something about Burns, running, and chasing. Her ‘newshound’ nose for a story kicks in. “Ah, the ‘Angel’ that Mrs Brewer was on about”, she crouches looks at the tracks that head towards the woods, “So do we go find the delightful Mr Burns, or continue our mission to find Emilia’s grandfather?”

Just behind her, with Emilia in close attendance, Mary Laker, hands deep in pockets and a rainhood pulled tight over her hair, looks to where the footprints enter the woods, “The tracks seem to be heading due west, the docs place is to the south west. Seems to me this is an 'either-or' decision, which do we choose?” She steps closer to the end of the tracks, “Well we can’t leave him to wander blind in the woods, that wouldn’t be Christian. I say we find Burns first then swing up to the cottage” She turns to the group as if awaiting confirmation…

OOC:   At this point characters with the Psychology Skill may attempt a Hard Roll (lowest score gets it)  


Spoiler:
Skill 60% - Hard 30% hard psychology 30: 1d100 78
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:05 am

Image

Sean was already suspicious of Mary after seeing her make for the back door, and by now he knows what makes her tick.

Spoiler:
Psychology roll (40 / 2 = 20% skill) about Mary:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
3
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby HoneyDog » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:31 pm

Kieffer wonders if he should have took the pistol after all. But if something took the man into the woods, would it already be too late? Anyway, how the hell does she know which way is which in this darkness? He has no idea.

Spoiler:
Psychology 30: Psychology: 1d100 64
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Cearlan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Spoiler:
70%/2 =35%
Cearlan rolled 1d100:
28


Maynard wonders what good chasing Burns would do.

"The man Burns would be beyond reason and I cannot see any reason to pursue him. He could probably take better care of himself than the girl's grandfather could."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
User avatar
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:47 pm
Location: South Shields; Tyne & Wear; UK

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Priest » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Both Sean and Maynard exchange glances, in the dim light of the flashlight Maynard can see the puzzled expression on Sean’s face and presumes it is mirrored in his own.

Spoiler:
Something in Mary’s words don’t quite ring true. The concern she is showing for Burns seems just a touch false. It’s almost as if she is trying to get the group to go chasing off in the woods on a fools errand.


Spoiler:
Mary’s show of concern for the missing man seems a little false.


Mary halts at the very edge of the woods and turns to face you all, “Well what’s it to be?”

Judith and Alister, standing close to Emilia see her shiver slightly and turn towards the direction of the cottage, “Grandfather needs help”
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:40 am

Image

"I agree," says Sean. "Mr. Burns is young and strong, and he can look after himself. Miss Webb's grandfather is old and needs our help. Let's go."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby HoneyDog » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:45 am

Kieffer

Pleased at Sean’s and Maynard'sfirm decision-making, Kieffer silently concurs. He doesn’t want to run around the woods in the dark, not on this night.

“Let’s get going then. Point me in the right direction and I’ll lead the way”
. He brandishes his flashlight.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby evil_scientist » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:44 am

Alister Sergeant

Alister agrees that Emily's grandfather's safety is a higher priority, although he misses the psychological subtleties. He was never too good at reading people.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Postby Wruter » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Image

"There, there, I'm sure your grandfather will be fine," Judith says in an attempt to reassure Emilia (and herself). "Doc Webb? Is he a doctor of medicine?"
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Location: MCR

PreviousNext

Return to Dead Light (7th Edition)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest