1. An encounter on a lonely road

Despite racing against the rain on your way northwards, the storm finally caught up with you in earnest and with it the night has fallen, abyssal black and riven by lightning. Conditions on the rain-swept road force your speed down to a virtual crawl so that your head-lamps can pierce the gloom and keep you on the path. The only thing certain now is that the weather behind you is worse than that which surrounds you, driving you onwards. What should have been an eventless journey has become something dangerous and unpredictable....

Moderator: Priest

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: 1. An encounter on a lonely road

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Regular First Aid = 50[dice]0[/dice]
Judith does her best to tend to the young woman's wounds as the car rattles on through the rain.
Last edited by Rooter on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer gives up questioning the girl for now. It’s obvious that whatever happened to her has produced some kind of catatonic state. He is beginning to worry now that they will not make it back to Ipswich tonight. The road is getting worse and now they had the girl to look after.

“I wonder what she meant by ‘the light’?” he says to Alister and Judith. “And was she shouting a warning?”
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

HoneyDog wrote: “I wonder what she meant by ‘the light’?” he says to Alister and Judith. “And was she shouting a warning?”
"She seems to be in shock!" Alister assesses, although Psychology is not his strong suit. Generally, he is rather blind to others' emotions. This is, however, not an everyday situation...

"Maybe she means lightning, not light?" he takes a guess. "Don't worry, you'll be safe with us," he says quickly to the girl.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Judith is quick to see that none of the woman’s injuries are serious. The scratches are simply superficial, more nasty looking than dangerous. The bruise is a little more serious, yet even that although vicious looking and swelling fast, is not life threatening and looks easily treatable given access to a decent first aid kit. She tuts and clucks as she examines the woman, wounds aside she reckons that the woman is suffering from exposure as well as some kind of traumatic reaction, probably akin to ‘shell shock’ as they were now describing the effect suffered by soldiers during the war.

She glances up at Alister’s remark, its banality accompanied by a sheepish grin. Yet at his referral to Keiffer’s use of the word ‘light’ the woman visibly flinches as if to avoid a blow. “Grandfather!! The Light!! Please help!!!!!!”
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Watching the young lady closely, Maynard notices her flinch when Alistair and Keiffer used the word 'Light' and purses his lips as he thinks. He applies his knowledge of Psychology to the girl and the situation in general.

Psychology 70%

[dice]0[/dice]

"There, there my dear, I hope my Jacket will make you feel a bit warmer. Sorry I didn't catch your name back there. Tell me my dear ... and remember that you are quite safe here, Who is your grandfather and what could he do to save you? I only ask so that we may help in his stead until such time as you are reunited with him."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hang in there," says Sean, though he doesn't look around his cab, keeping his eyes focused on the road. "We'll be coming up on Orchard Run soon enough. There should be someone there who can help, and we can get in out of the rain."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

From his study of the woman, Maynard, is able to conclude that something traumatic has occurred to her recently. From her reaction to the word ‘light’ it would seem that this has bearing on her situation, as for her grandfather’s involvement only time can tell. He is convinced that whatever occurred has resulted in her mind closing down. However, he is convinced that given the right situation and stimuli she will quickly recover her senses. He glances through the rain distorted windscreen at the dark, liquified road ahead. Somewhere ahead is the Orchard Run gas stop, and if, as Sean says, she is known in this area then surely she will see familiar faces and that might be the key to unlock her mind.

Meanwhile, his concentration fixed on the road ahead, Sean drives the Ford slowly avoiding the worst of the rubbish that is being carried along by a river of rainwater. Several times he has to pull the heavy car aside to avoid large sections of tree branches which threaten to block the road for the duration. Amidst all the rubbish and debris that covers the fast disappearing road, he sees the wheelmarks of a heavy vehicle showing that the surface of the road is easily turned to a slippery muddy ooze that threatens, if the car is subjected to any sudden direction change, to see them crashed amongst the thick trees that line the road. Still at least the way is downhill to the station, and an overworked engine is not a worry.

The, what is turning out an exciting drive, continues. Outside the car the occasional flash of lightning reveals just how bad the situation is getting. Even the least weather wise of you is convinced that the chances of pushing on to Ipswich, or even the nearer town of Bolton, is unlikely. You just hope that the small gas station at Orchard Run is open, after all with the ferocity of this storm a power outage is likely, the alternative is unthinkable.

The car shudders with the occasional onslaught of the wind; the slightest movement to left or right seems to threaten disaster as Sean uses all his skill to keep the car on the road; sudden flashes of lightning as it dances and flickers amongst the tree tops keeps each of you alert to the possibility that the wind whipped trees hide some unknown danger which had caused a lightly clad woman to run blindly into the storm filled darkness. Could these effects be the ‘light’ she had been babbling about?

It is literally the journey from hell, surely even the Ancient Greek Hero Orpheus’s journey to Hades was never as fraught as the fifteen minutes it takes to crawl the mile or so from where you had found the girl to where you can see the welcome lights of the ‘Orchard Run Vacuum Oil Station’ ahead, it would seem that the station is open.

Yet even as you reach safety it would seem that all is not well, for slewed across the road ahead, partially blocking the road itself, a flat-bed cattle truck, soft mud torn up by its heavy wheels, has been abandoned, its driver door left open and buffeted by the strong wind. Whoever had been driving it seems to have left in a hurry.
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer

What the hell happened here?Kieffer thinks to himself. He was looking forward to getting off the road, but now he's not so sure. If the truck is just stuck, why leave the cab door open?

To the others he says, “We’d better check that everything is okay. Perhaps the ladies should stay in the car for now.”
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Alister Sergeant

Alister is not an action hero, but he isn't a total bookworm either. "Let's go," he joins Kieffer and starts moving towards the truck.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Maynard gets out of the car and investigates the cab of the truck to see if the keys are still in the ignition and investigate the ground around the open cab door to see if he can see where any tracks might lead.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sean also steps out of the cab and braves the storm to look at the truck. He leaves the motor running, just in case he can't start it again. That would be the last thing they'd need.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Inside the car Judith offers Miss Leigh a tense smile while continuing to soothe the stricken young woman. "I do hope this grandfather of hers is not still out in this dreadful storm."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Turning their overcoat collars up against the savage wind and its ice cold passenger, our four men Keiffer, Alister, Maynard, and Sean make their way over to the truck.

Luckily Sean had the quickness of mind to retrieve the small flashlight he carried in the glove box for emergencies.

So armed the four gallants cross the rain sodden ground toward the abandoned truck, its driver’s door still buffeted by the wind. And with the aid of the flashlight Maynard is able to notice that there are two distinct marks below the driver’s door, as if a heavy object had dropped, or leaped, from the truck. Closer inspection show that they were made by boots and that they showed that their owner had fled towards the diner in haste.

Pulling himself up onto the driver’s plate, Maynard, peered within the cab. Still in attendance was an ignition key, obviously forgotten in the driver’s haste to flee the truck, indeed the continued, if useless, beam of the trucks headlights lost in the depth of the woods, attest to his speedy flight.
OOC:   At this point Maynard may attempt a Hard Spot Hidden Roll  

Back in the Ford, its engine still idling, as Sean had left it, Dorothy and Judith have time to study the cluster of three buildings that comprise the facilities at the Orchard Run gas station.

Three building make up the station, a forecourt, some offices and a small, but comfortable, diner. Under normal conditions this station is a well kept facility, a credit to both the owners, the Vacuum Oil Company, and the manager an S Keelham. However the storm was no ordinary condition, a sudden burst of intense lightning revealed the full extent of the damage that the station was undergoing. Rainwater swirled like some Biblical flood around the solitary gas pump and running riverlike through the office and repair shop. Only providence had kept it away from the diner, although it looked far from certain that it would remain free of flood for much longer. Yet it seems to your eyes that the diner is occupied, as the white light that spills between the overlapping strips of blinds is occasionally blocked as if by the movement of someone within.

Glancing around, you note the presence of two other vehicles one a sporty two seater roadster, and the other an older battered looking Packard. Of course there may be other vehicles parked out of sight.

Despite the loudness of the drumming rain, the unknown woman, thankfully asleep for most of the hellish journey to the station, groans loudly, her eyes flash open and her mouth curves into a loud, nerve shattering scream – “The light!! Dear God, the light!!!!!!!!”
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Kieffer calls out to Maynard. “Turn off the lights, save the battery. We may have to move this rig later”. He wonders what the driver must have seen to have made him flee the vehicle like that.

To the others he says. “I’m going to have a look in the diner”. He tries to ignore the apprehension he is feeling and sets off.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

"We've got to get this poor woman inside," Dorothy says to the Englishwoman. "The diner looks safe for now. Come on, help me move her there."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Observing the lighted building through the car window, Judith murmurs in agreement and not a little relief at the prospect of getting indoors.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

HoneyDog wrote:Kieffer calls out to Maynard. “Turn off the lights, save the battery. We may have to move this rig later”. He wonders what the driver must have seen to have made him flee the vehicle like that.

To the others he says. “I’m going to have a look in the diner”. He tries to ignore the apprehension he is feeling and sets off.
"Looks like the storm hit here hard!" theorizes Alister, trying to overpower the howling wind. He keep up with Kieffer.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Holding their raincoats above their heads in defence against the heavy rain, Dorothy and Judith bustle the shaking woman with them towards the welcoming lights of the diner. Although little more than a hundred yards from the Ford to the diner, the weather makes it seem a gargantuan effort. The wind tears at you and hurls the cold rain into your face despite your best attempts. Those raindrops hit like a shotgun blast threatening to tear the skin from any exposed skin in moments. All around you swirl torrents of floodwater, carrying goodness knows what debris to make every footfall a nightmare. What ground lies uncovered by the swirling water is a slippery, slimy morass that threatens to steal your footing at any moment and cast you into the water to be carried along with its other cargo. As you pass the bulk of the abandoned truck you see the men looking at something on the ground, but the weather drives you on towards the diner. Almost muffled by the howling wind, you hear someone shout something about lights, but then you are gone.

With perseverance and care the short journey is accomplished without mishap, and within moments you stand outside the plate-glass door of the Orchard Run diner. On the opposite side of the window, sandwiched between red venetian blinds and the misted glass a sign announces ‘OPEN’ in large letters. As you reach for the handle you hear the hum of voices from within. It would seem you are not alone in being abroad this night.

Having called out to Maynard, Kieffer turns and begins making his way towards the diner. Any apprehension of the situation he is feeling disappears as ice cold rain finds its way beneath his overcoats collar. It is no more than a few seconds of misery before he has made it to the plate-glass door of the diner with the ubiquitous sign announcing that it is open for business. With Alister dogging his footsteps and showing difficulty with the force of the wind, Keiffer arrives at the door just in time to see Judith and Dorothy, with the woman in tow, reach for the handle...
- Anais Nin
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Alister Sergeant

"Wait for us!" Alister tries to shout to the women in the roaring tempest.
Last edited by evil_scientist on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

"Dibs on a big mug of hot cocoa," Dorothy says, a bit giddy now that shelter is within reach. "Coffee or tea if they don't have the good stuff."

It's a miracle they've still got electricity in this weather.

She shivers, leaning right up against the diner wall in a feeble attempt to escape the worst of the deluge. It would make sense to wait until everybody's here before opening the door, to keep the rain out of the diner, but she's only got so much patience.

"Come on, slowpokes. I'm gonna count to ten, then in I go!"

Return to “Dead Light (7th Edition)”