IC-Ep 2-Bearding the Lion(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook)

Story and his companions infiltrate the conspiracy and break into various houses in an effort to uncover evidence, and Senator Scaevola is implicated. Caelia Alba courageously visits Scaevola's secret lair to gather information. While their Roman friends spend an uneasy night dreading what may come tomorrow, the TARDIS crew bluffs its way in to Scaevola's villa to thwart his schemes, but all does not go as planned.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Ep 2-Bearding the Lion(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Scaevola's Villa- southwest of Rome, Italia
Before Dawn- March 15, 44 BC

It was still a few hours before dawn by the time Story and his companions were within sight of Scaevola's villa in the Roman countryside. They had followed the directions that Adelphus had provided, traveling a short distance southwest of Rome along the road leading to the port of Ostia. The walled estate had a single gate, which was flanked by two khopesh-bearing Egyptians, their swords on their backs. Elizabeth and Lucius had been here before earlier tonight, but it was new to Story and Brook. Whatever they intended to do, they did not have much time - ironic, considering that they were time travelers.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Re: IC-Bearding the Lion(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook)

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Do we have a plan?" asks Elizabeth, quietly, to her friends. "Story and Brook, you know more about what is going on with the conspiracy than Lucius and I. How should we tackle this? Are we walking straight to our deaths, or do we have a chance?"
alazred
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by alazred »

Lucius Verres

Lucius was holding his chin thinking... "If someone could try to distract the guard maybe I could sneak around the walls and see if there's an easy place to climb it up for all of us. Or i can try to infiltrate alone. What dou you think?"

Lucius try to see a way in from his position.
spot hidden 61%,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Lucius could easily see a way to reach the wall on either the side or rear of the estate without passing within sight of the guards. It would not be easy to climb the wall, which was uniform apart from the gate, but it should be possible to gain access to the grounds.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
alazred
Layman
Layman

Post by alazred »

Lucius Verres

After looking around carefully Lucius tell his friends:"I think its doable to pass that wall. From what I see here except from the front part where there are the guards all the sides are possible point of entry.Maybe if we help each other to climb the wall it could easier to pass that obstacle. "
OOC,is it possible to ease an obstacle like in this case for a wall, climbing on the back of a fellow character would make it easier ?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, you can help each other climb the wall in that way. It will still take Climb rolls to get onto and over the top of the wall, which is about ten feet high. All of you, please roll Climb if you wish to attempt this. Failure will not result in injury unless it's a critical failure. If at least one of you succeeds, you will be able to help pull others up in later attempts.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-Bearding the Lion(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook)

Post by jaysun81 »

After taking a moment to ponder what Lucius suggested Story says, "We could sneak in... or I could simply request an urgent meeting with him. Saying we're from Khmun, from the temple of Thoth. Which if you recall is how Caelia introduced us to the guard at the Queen's place. He may have already heard of us... besides, we don't want to tangle the narrative up to much." Story smiles at his companions.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"That sounds like a good idea Story," says Elizabeth, smiling. "It does rely on you being able to spin the right story, but if you're willing to try I think a direct approach might be the better option here."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Story[/b], if you wish to make this approach to the guards, please roll Credit Rating.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
alazred
Layman
Layman

Post by alazred »

Lucius Verres

"It's a very good idea Story. The only thing I'm scared of is if we are always stuck with some guards around to watch our every movements. It dosent leave us with many options to search around. "
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Turning from Elizabeth to Lucius he says, "If you're up for the challenge you could sneak in while the girls and I take the direct approach. Just realize the danger will undoubtedly be great."
OOC,I'll approach and roll once Lucius' path has been determined.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
alazred
Layman
Layman

Post by alazred »

Lucius Verres

After listening to Sotry and evaluate the situation, Lucius turn himself toward Story and say:"You are right Story, it's probably too dangerous to sneak in alone. You has always guide us well. I'll come in with you three. Please lead the way Story. "
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Story nods and Lucius and then proceeds to approach the guards while saying, "Greetings! We've recently traveled here under the blessing of Master Kemnebi from the Temple of Thoth in Khmun. I have a most urgent message for the Senator Scaevola and must see him immediately."
SUCCESS,Credit Rating - 80% [dice]0[/dice]
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Then you had best enter at once," said one of the Egyptian guards. He and his fellow threw the gate wide open to admit Story and his companions. Another Egyptian servant, this one older, bald, and unarmed, stood within. "Come with me," he said, beckoning. "The Senator is currently asleep, but I shall awaken him, seeing the matter is so urgent. You can wait in the study. This way, please." He guided them across the grounds of the estate towards the main house. As they entered, it occurred to them that leaving might not be so easy. Standing before the main house were two rows of Egyptian-style statues of men with the heads of various animals: crocodiles, jackals, lions, hyenas, and more, all of them standing some seven feet tall. At the end of the colonnade stood a twenty foot tall replica of the Sphinx. It differed from the original not only in size, but also in the fact that it had a nose. Beyond it stood the house itself, a pair of double doors leading into the vestibulum. Another pair of guards flanked the doors.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The guards opened the double doors, and the bald servant led Story and his companions through the narrow vestibulum and across the open-air atrium, passing a bubbling fountain. Elizabeth and Lucius had been here before, but they had gone no further in their previous visit. The slave led them into the tablinum, just off of the atrium at the far end, into Scaevola's study. Shelves were lined with papyrus scrolls, a few of which were also on a mahogany writing desk, upon which the servant lit a candle with a flint. There were also a few busts and statuettes on the shelves and on small display tables. Some of them continued the chimera theme of humanoids with animal heads, and others were busts of Pharaohs long dead. A variety of wax masks that bore some resemblance to Scaevola also hung on the walls. A few luxurious chairs were present.

Image Image

"Be seated and remain here," said the servant. "I shall summon the Senator." He left the room the way he had come, vanishing into the darkness.
Lucius Verres,[b]Lucius[/b] knew that the wax masks were [b]Scaveola[/b]'s imago, which bore the faces of his ancestors. Similar things were found in many Roman homes.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

After a few minutes, Scaevola entered from the atrium, clad in a toga. Beside him was a pretty servant girl that Elizabeth and Lucius recognized as Akana.

"I was informed that you came from the Temple of Thoth with an urgent message for me," said the Senator, tucking his hand partway into his toga. He looked tired, but alert. "I am listening."
OOC,Is everyone all right? Nobody has posted in this thread in quite some time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Story steps forward to address the Senator and says, "Senator Scaevola, I've been sent by the word of Master Kemnebi from the Temple of Thoth in Khmun. I'm to inform you that the Dagger of Ra needs to have a taste of the powerful individual you plan to slay before you actually kill them. In a way you need to tune the blade to the victim's ka. You must mix a lock of the victim's hair in your blood and lay it on the blade overnight in the moonlight." He pauses for a moment before continuing, "He didn't disclose all this in the scroll for security reasons. So, he sent me... that way if the scroll was intercepted they wouldn't know the complete details."
OOC - Persuade Roll,Assuming you're going to ask for a Persuade roll here's the results. If you'd rather me roll something else let me know. Persuade - 85% [dice]0[/dice]
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Scaevola frowned. "That hardly sounds likely," he said. "Can you even prove that you are who you claim to be? How do I know Master Kemnebi truly sent you? How do I know you're even one of us?"
OOC,You're not really trying to convince him through logical argument, you're just making something up, so this would be a Fast Talk roll. I'll count the roll you just made as a Fast Talk roll, which fails. Everyone else may attempt Fast Talk as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth watches with concern, but tries to keep her expression neutral. She knows less of what is going on than Story or Brook, so decides not to say anything for now, in case she only makes things worse.
OOC,Out of character I know my Fast Talk skill % isn't any worse than Story's, but in character I wouldn't say anything at the moment, given my lack of knowledge. So adopting that approach!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Brook[/b] probably has the best chance, but her player hasn't logged on in over a month. I'll post and roll for her over the weekend if she doesn't return by then. [b]Story[/b] is free to try to answer [b]Scaevola[/b]'s questions using his own knowledge, as is everyone. You may all also make an Idea roll to try to remember something that may help.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 2”