IC-Ep 2-After Midnight(Story/Companions/Caelia/Cavalry/Marc)

Story and his companions infiltrate the conspiracy and break into various houses in an effort to uncover evidence, and Senator Scaevola is implicated. Caelia Alba courageously visits Scaevola's secret lair to gather information. While their Roman friends spend an uneasy night dreading what may come tomorrow, the TARDIS crew bluffs its way in to Scaevola's villa to thwart his schemes, but all does not go as planned.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Re: IC-After Midnight(Story/Companions/Caelia/Cavalrymen/Mar

Post by jaysun81 »

As Story prepared to answer Elizabeth, Caelia's abrupt confession catches him by surprise causing him to say, "What do you mean you're now a member? How did you gain admittance into the brotherhood?"
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Caelia colours; her face flushing. "He offered to initiate me. I, I thought it would be a good way to gain Scaevola's trust. Nothing happened really. He took me down to rooms below the villa, the walls were painted in strange murals which I couldn't really see because it was so shadowy. There was a statue of Anubis and Thoth, and an alter. I had to lie on the alter, which was worrying but all he did was ask me what the worst thing I'd ever done was. And there wasn't anything but that didn't seem to matter.

Then he told me a bit about the brotherhood, how they are waiting for the Sphinx, who is also Thoth I think, to rise and rule the world; the brotherhood do all they can to make this happen but the stars have to be in the right place. Oh, and he showed me a secret sign the brotherhood use to identify one another. He would have told me more but Artemis and Elizabeth arrived so he stopped and we went upstairs. And that was that. Surely it doesn't mean anything does it?"

Caelia falters to a stop.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It means a great deal," said Adelphus. "This is the Brotherhood of the Beast you describe, and you now know more about them than I do. Knowing this secret sign will be useful to identify them, and you have successfully infiltrated them, which will be doubly useful."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Did Scaevola give you any idea of the scale of the Brotherhood?" asks Elizabeth, looking to Caelia. "Or even more pertinently, did he identify any other members here in Rome? Or did you see any others at his villa who you think may have been members? Any extra information at all about the members could help us."
DrkRoxas
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by DrkRoxas »

Marcus stays still while all the ruckus unleashes in front of him, he feels the desperation in the air and realizes this was way more than a fetching job from the start.

"If you would have me, I'll be happy to be a part of this, I think this correlates to the task we previously did and I don't like a work half complete." he said while hiding the fact that this just plainly excited him, a job important like this could bring him a lot of wealth and recognition, and he did like a good life.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

"Spurius and I need to be moving if we are going to lay out the issue to Marcus Antonius, who else will be going with us? Who else can be of assistace to Lady Caelia in her efforts?" Artemis looked about himself, the toga was still fitting, he straightened himself and checked to make sure he had with him both his pugio and the small bronze diploma indicating his retirement from the military. He felt that on its leather tie and tucked the document from Adelphus. "we need to move quickly, morning will be upon us soon, and with it the plot against the General will be well underway."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

To Elizabeth Caelia says, "I think there are a great many of the brotherhood, from all walks of life; poor, rich, young and old. Some of his servants are for sure. I can show you all the secret sign but I beg you only to look for it as a sign of the brotherhood; if you start doing it yourself, it will surely lead the brotherhood to realise I'm a traitor to their cause. It is thus," Caelia slips her hand into her toga a short way, so that the fingers are hidden but the back of the hand is still showing. She takes her hand out again.

"I think I should go home now and get some sleep. First thing, I'll send a message to Scaevola and hope he'll invite me to be with him at the games tomorrow. I'll try to send messages to keep in touch and vice versa; we can use our injured friend Lucius here as an excuse for messages, including 'He is critical - come at once!'" Caelia smiles. "If anyone sees Germanicus, appraise him of the situation. Goodluck with Marcus Antonius, Artemis. Is there anything else before I go?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Glancing at the scroll, Artemis noticed that it was written in Egyptian.

"I will send a messenger to Senator Germanicus to inform him of developments," said Adelphus. "Marcus, your further assistance is most welcome."
OOC,[b]Artemis[/b], you will need to roll against Other Language(Egyptian) to be able to read the scroll. The base level is just 01%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

LOL,well then let's see what the dice do on this one. [dice]0[/dice]
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth nods as Caelia talks and shows them the sign. She is horrified by the scale of the Brotherhood, but also scared about tomorrow, knowing what must come to pass, but that they are supposed to somehow stop.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis turned and left with the message for Marcus Antonius. As he got to the doorway, he looked over his shoulder and said, "Let's meet back here at first light if possible. Lady Caelia, I hope you will be noticeable amongst the crowd. Spurius, let's hope the Consul will see a few veterans when we show up.

He waited to see who else would join them before heading back out into the darkness of the Roman night.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"I'll come with you some of the way, my villa is in the same direction. Good night everyone and good luck tomorrow." Caelia runs after Artemis and Spurius and they leave through the doors together. As they pass through the darkened streets she murmurs, "How is Adelphus going to persuade Marcus Antonius? I saw you glance at the scroll."
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Lady Caelia, I have no idea what it says. Never seen the type of writing across it, maybe you can understand it?" He pulled the parchment from the inner folds of the toga and handed it to her.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Caelia stops for a moment under a smoking torch and unrolls the vellum. She peers at the writing.
Read scroll roll,Caelia rolls 23 (ooc - gosh a read scroll roll- that's going back a bit to old ed. D&D!)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,It's not that kind of scroll. ;) [b]Elizabeth[/b] and [b]Lucius[/b] may also read the scroll if they come with this group by opening the below spoiler button. [b]Story[/b] and [b]Brook[/b] have already read it; it was [b]Story[/b] who gave the scroll to [b]Artemis[/b]. [b]Adelphus[/b] never had it and is remaining in the palace. Anyone else wishing to read the scroll will need to succeed at an Other Language: Egyptian roll. [b]Marcus[/b] already tried and failed. Before I split the threads, I'll need to know who is going where (or staying put in the palace). So far, [b]Artemis[/b], and [b]Spurius[/b] are going to seek out [b]Marc Antony[/b]. [b]Caelia[/b] is going with them at least partway before heading home, unless she decides to go with them all the way. I just need to know what [b]Story[/b], the three companions, and [b]Marcus[/b] are doing.
Caelia Alba,[b]Caelia[/b] was able to read the stylized Egyptian writing on the papyrus scroll: "Hail Adept [b]Scaevola[/b], I, Master [b]Kemnebi[/b], send you greetings from the Temple of Thoth in Khmun. Accompanying this missive you will find the Dagger of Ra. It is an ancient artifact of great power that we have only recently unearthed. Most of its powers remain mysteries to the Brotherhood for now, but it will certainly suffice for the purpose you have envisioned. In order to empower it for that purpose, you will need to slay an extremely powerful individual, and you must sacrifice a large portion of your essence in order to do so. However, there may be a way to lessen the cost to your ka. If you conduct this sacrifice in conjunction with as many others as possible, the cost will be shared with them, though you will still pay the highest price. It matters not which of you actually strikes the death blow, but it is essential that every one among you sheds the victim's blood. Once that is done, further sacrifices can made of any individual as long as it is done in the presence of Thoth, and you shall reap the benefits. Of course, the more powerful the victim's spirit, the greater the benefits to you. Those benefits will far outweigh the cost of the initial sacrifice. If Thoth wills it, you will become the greatest magician the world has ever seen, able to live through the centuries and witness the eventual awakening of the Beast. If you go down this path, you will surely succumb to madness, but as we both know, madness is merely seeing the world for what it truly is. The blessings of Thoth go with you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrkRoxas
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by DrkRoxas »

Marcus nods at Artemis's gesture and moves to his side, excited as can be. This was a perfect opportunity to finally get some recognition and embark on the adventure he always wanted, full of thrill and danger.

He stops and just looks around, throwing a smile at his recent companions Story and Brook, and then turning to Caelia as she finished reading, still mesmerized by her beauty.

"Whenever you're ready" he said before resting his back on a nearby wall, looking at the whole party.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

As she reads, the blood drains from Caelia's face and she puts out a hand to steady herself. "Oh dear gods. This is nothing to do with what we thought; it is far, far worse!" She looks around worriedly,
"We can't talk here, it's not safe. And how does Adelphus know that Mark Antonius is trustworthy? Will you stop briefly at my villa on the way and I'll translate the scroll to you; it might help you with Mark Antonius and it gives us a clearer picture of what will occur tomorrow. Quickly now, we must hurry; and keep a look out for followers!"
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Turning urgently to her friends Elizabeth says "Story, what should we do? You and Brook know more about this conspiracy than Lucius and I. What do you think we should do for the best?"
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook looks at Elizabeth. "We have to keep either the dagger or Scaevola from joining the assasination... Which means we have to find them, I guess..."
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Lady Caelia, men, we need to make quick, for the night is passing, and we need to save our General." Artemis looked back at the party and made his way into the night.

Return to “Episode 2”