IC-Ep 2-The Initiation(Caelia only)

Story and his companions infiltrate the conspiracy and break into various houses in an effort to uncover evidence, and Senator Scaevola is implicated. Caelia Alba courageously visits Scaevola's secret lair to gather information. While their Roman friends spend an uneasy night dreading what may come tomorrow, the TARDIS crew bluffs its way in to Scaevola's villa to thwart his schemes, but all does not go as planned.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-The Initiation(Caelia only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The first thing you should learn about Thoth is that he can take on many forms," said Scaevola. "Some of those forms are those of men. He could be among us, and we would never know it unless he wished to make himself known. Other forms are more fantastical. One of those forms is that of the Sphinx."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Caelia frowns slightly and then nods politely. She didn't think Scaevola believed any of this either but it was probably just part of the ritual transcription.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The Sphinx is the guardian of many secrets," continued Scaevola. "One day in the future, when the stars are right, the Sphinx will rule the world with wisdom and benevolence. Our duty as members of the Brotherhood is to pave the way for the Sphinx's triumphant coming, to make the world ready for him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Hence the legend of the riddles I suppose. I've always wondered why Egypt and Greece revere the Sphinx and yet it does not manifest in Roman myth -ah- religion. And is it female or male? I rather think the Greeks have it right. Where does the sphinx live at the moment while it is waiting for the right time?" Caelia shivers although it is quite warm in the cavern.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The Sphinx resides in Egypt," said Scaevola. "There is much speculation as to precisely where, and it is a matter of some debate. My personal opinion is that the Sphinx is hiding in plain sight. He - for he is indeed male - is exactly where everyone knows he is. I believe that when the time is right, the Great Sphinx of Giza will come to life. As for the Greek Sphinx, which is female, it is said that the Great Sphinx has many children. There are many lesser Sphinxes, but only one Great Sphinx. You are exactly right about the riddles of the Sphinx, by the way. We must remember that Rome is a relatively young civilization, and thus does not have its own legends of the Sphinx. Greece has been around for centuries longer, and Egypt was old when Greece was young."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Alright. So Thoth is can be a sphinx. And the Great Sphinx will make himself known when the time is right and will rule the world. But at the moment he could be anyone. He's not you, is he?"
Caelia looks at Scaevola wide eyed. "And you, the Brotherhood, are making ready for him. Do you know when the stars will be right? I know they change day by day but they are always in the same place in relation to each other. So how can they be different when the Sphinx comes?" Caelia says. "What else is there?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thoth not only has many forms," said Scaevola, chuckling, "but I am not one of them. it may also be possible for him to be in more than one place at the same time, in different forms. The gods are capable of all sorts of wonders. Only a few of his forms are known, so he could be anyone. Perhaps he could even take the form of a woman, if he so wished. We do not know exactly when the stars will be right, but it will not be for some time. Perhaps not for thousands of years. The stars may appear to be in fixed positions relative to each other, but one of the Brotherhood's astrologers believes that they move ever so slightly over time, far too slowly to notice any difference during a single lifetime. In ancient times, when Egypt was young, the stars may well have been in different configurations."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Yes, I can see how that could be possible - the part about the stars, I mean." says Caelia. "So you do all this with probably no hope of seeing the conclusion. You must be very dedicated. Are there many of the brotherhood in Rome and how do you know each other if it is so secret? Do you ever work together on projects?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We take the long view of things in the Brotherhood," said Scaevola. "We may not be around to finish the job, but we each do what we can for as long as we have, and then we pass the torch to the next generation. The Brotherhood has existed for well over a thousand years already. There are not as many members in Rome as there are in Egypt, but we do have a significant chapter here. People from all walks of life join, from the lowliest slave to a prominent Senator. As for how we recognize each other, that is what I intend to show you next. We use gestures, phrases, and touches that look ordinary to cue each other in that we are part of the Brotherhood. The uninitiated will not recognize them for what they are, but we will know. One such gesture is to tuck your right hand into your toga so that your fingers are hidden, but the back of your hand remains visible. Like so." He reached his right hand up to his chest, sliding his fingers beneath the edge of his toga.

At that moment, one of the servant girls entered the chamber from the arch that was guarded by statue of Anubis. When she saw them, she repeated the same gesture.

"Yes, Akana?" asked the Senator.

"Dominus, the cavalryman has returned with two others, a man and a woman," she replied. "The man is injured, and they claim he is Caelia Alba's patient. The cavalryman says that he brought them here because it would have taken too long to fetch her."

"I see. Caelia, who is this patient of yours?"
OOC,[b]Caelia[/b], please roll Insight.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Caelia looks surprised. "I don't know for sure; he's probably one of my gladiators, desperate for a miracle cure so he's ready to compete tomorrow! Or he could be... I have a couple of very private clients, Senator, I'm sure I can count on your utmost discretion? But can we stop the initiation now or should we finish it first?"
insight,(45%) roll: 66
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course you can count on my discretion, my dear," said Scaevola. "The initiation is actually complete, and you are now one of us. Delving into the mysteries further can wait. Let us go and see to your patient." He motions to the archway through which they had entered.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Caelia is very relieved that the initiation is over but is surprised to find her interest piqued. "So I put just my fingers into my toga, like this, and leave the back of my hand still visible." She demonstrates to Scaevola. "I look forward to coming back and talking with you more. Let's go and see my mystery patient." She laughs and prepares to follow Scaevola back upstairs.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, you've got it," said Scaveola. "I look forward to your return as well, and you are welcome to visit me any time, my dear. This way." Caelia and Akana followed Scaevola back past the statue of Anubis and up the stairs to the garden. Once they all emerged from the concealed stairway, the two Egyptian men began moving the planter back into place to hide it once again. The group continued back to the atrium.
OOC,[b]Caelia[/b] is moving to the thread linked below:
The Doctor Is In
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 2”