IC-Ep 2-The Grand Tour(Artemis only)

Story and his companions infiltrate the conspiracy and break into various houses in an effort to uncover evidence, and Senator Scaevola is implicated. Caelia Alba courageously visits Scaevola's secret lair to gather information. While their Roman friends spend an uneasy night dreading what may come tomorrow, the TARDIS crew bluffs its way in to Scaevola's villa to thwart his schemes, but all does not go as planned.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Ep 2-The Grand Tour(Artemis only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Scaevola's Villa- southeast of Rome, Italia
Late evening- March 14, 44 BC

The serving girl ushered Artemis into the study, lighting a candle on the writing desk so they could see. Everything was as he had left it, including the busts of Akhenaten and Nefertiti, the idols, the wax masks, and the shelves lined with papyrus scrolls. It was these last that she led him to first, having noted his interest. "These scrolls are on a wide variety of subjects," she said. "The papyrus comes from Egypt, of course, and many of them were in fact written there. Can you read Egyptian writing?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-The Grand Tour(Artemis only)

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis followed along enjoying the visit and the company. When they arrived in the library, he spent some time taking in all of the items from Egypt - a land that to him was more myth than reality suddenly becoming the latter.
"These scrolls are on a wide variety of subjects," she said. "The papyrus comes from Egypt, of course, and many of them were in fact written there. Can you read Egyptian writing?"
Artemis turned his attention to the pleasant voice and sight of the servant asking him about the scrolls. He smiled and shook his head no. "Sadly, no I don't much about Egypt, it's traditions and religions. Though of late I keep hearing and learning more and more about a land that to me was a land of myth and story. Wasn't there a story about human headed lion? "
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The servant smiled. "There are stories of men with the heads of lions," she said, "and of other beasts besides: jackals, bulls, birds, cats, crocodiles, and even hippos. It is a common tale in Egypt."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"So are these creatures gods in the religion, or are they just decoration?" Artemis looked and pointed at the idols and the masks. He kept looking over the various components of the room trying to find something that might stick out in his mind.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There are some Egyptian gods that take the form of a man with the head of an animal," said the serving girl. "Thoth has the head of an ibis, Anubis the head of a jackal, and Bubastis the head of a cat, for instance. There are also lesser beings that have similar forms, but are more the size of men. They are the children of the gods."

As his eyes scanned the idols, Artemis recognized the images of Thoth and Anubis among them. The masks bore human faces, no doubt those of the Senator's ancestors, as was common in Roman homes. They did bear a resemblance to his countenance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

'Senator and his family it seems," Artemis pointed at the masks. "Does he entertain often? Seems like Lady Caelia was his only guest for the festivals of the day. Artemis turned and smiled broadly at the servant.

"Oh forgive me, I am Artemis, and you are ?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I am called Akana, sir," she said, meeting his gaze. "Yes, those are the Senator's ancestors. While Lady Caelia is his only guest tonight, he does often have other guests. However, he wished to devote his full attention to her, so he did not invite any others."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Akana, my pleasure," Artemis smiled and nodded at her. "Now, I wonder if you could help me understad the various statues that are in the villa? Are there others that are prized by the Senator?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, yes," said Akana, excitement in her voice. "You have no doubt seen the mighty Sphinx on your way into the villa, of course. The Senator also has a large idol of Thoth in the exedra, but we cannot go in there to see it while the initiation is in progress. That one too is precious to him. The Sphinx protects his house, and Thoth watches over all."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"So have you always been here in the Senator's villa?" Artemis asked as he moved towards the doorway. "How can the Sphinx protect the Villa? It's simply just stone, impressive, but simply stone. Maybe there are other things to see amongst the halls and rooms?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The Sphinx is more than it appears," said Akana with an enigmatic smile. "You are here as a guest. If you were not...I have not always been here. I was born in Egypt. The Senator bought me a few years ago and brought me here to serve him. There is more to see, yes. Follow me, please." She headed towards the door into the atrium, glancing back over her shoulder and beckoning Aretmis to follow.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis smiled and followed quickly along. "Akana, the Sphinx is just a carving, nothing more. Egypt, I can not even believe that I am talking with such a lovely resident of that land, but doing so in the surroundings that only highlight the beauty of that far off land."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, sir," said Akana, blushing a little as she led Artemis through the atrium. "You are most kind. Would you like to see one of the bedrooms?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Well, now, that is a wonderful option, but I don't think we have finished the tour of the villa and we should probably at least do that...first"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Akana nodded. "Then we shall save that for last," she said. "This fountain is fed by a nearby spring. It provides fresh water for all here." She next pointed out two alcoves on either side. "Those are where guests wait to be greeted. Would the kitchen be of any interest to you?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Akana, I am a retired soldier, and have never been anything like this," Artemis waived his hands about. "I also own a small inn and if I could learn a dish that I could say was from Egypt, well that would almost be the high point of this visit."

He smiled at her and then continued to look about.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Very good," said Akana, leading Artemis into a large room in the corner of the house. The fire in the hearth was out at this late hour, though it would surely be lit as dawn approached to prepare breakfast. Still, that was several hours away. The night was relatively young. The cucina had a long table for preparing meals, which was also where the servants took their own meals. There were various pots, pans, and utensils throughout the room. An opening led to a pantry where plenty of food and ingredients were stored, and off of it was a room from which cold emanated. Akana showed him that it contained blocks of ice that were slowly melting and large quantities of meat and other perishables. "The ice is brought in at great expense," she explained, "but it keeps the food cold until it is time to be cooked. Do you know how to cook, Artemis?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Well, I can make a few things, lots of fire roasted spit turned animals, as a soldier always knows how to make some of the camp's food a bit better. Meats, always the way to please a soldier, guest and apparently a senator."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Akana smiled. "I shall show you how the Egyptians prepare meat, then," she said, as she lit the hearth, "and then you shall eat it and be pleased. Would you like mutton?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Now, that is a true delight, I would love that. Mutton would be fine, and I can watch how you make it and hopefully remember." Artemis' smiled a wide grin and stood ready to help as Akana began to make her selections.

Return to “Episode 2”