IC-Ep 2-Eat, Drink, and Be Merry(Everyone else)

Story and his companions infiltrate the conspiracy and break into various houses in an effort to uncover evidence, and Senator Scaevola is implicated. Caelia Alba courageously visits Scaevola's secret lair to gather information. While their Roman friends spend an uneasy night dreading what may come tomorrow, the TARDIS crew bluffs its way in to Scaevola's villa to thwart his schemes, but all does not go as planned.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-Eat, Drink, and Be Merry(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That would require some thought," said Caesar, furrowing his noble brow as he walked with Germanicus back to the party. "It would be hard to find a man worthy of her who is not already claimed. Were you not already married, I would have suggested you . Likewise, Brutus would be a suitable suitor, had he not already wed Porcia Catonis last year after divorcing his first wife, and that without stating any cause. That was enough of a scandal. He surely cannot do it again, especially not so soon."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus laughs at Caesar's joke.

"I thank you for the compliment, my friend, but I doubt my daughter would feel the same way. Brutus, however, is an honourable man and a far better choice. I'm afraid the Optimates and our -friend- Cato would disapprove of the match. I shall probe him about his prospects before we set off to the East. Maybe invite him to dinner."
Last edited by DrPeterson on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Two feasts on short notice?" said Caesar, his mood obviously lightened after the distressing augury. "That would be very impressive." As they walked, they passed where Aricus stood. "Ave, Aricus Callidus Gladio. I wish you success and glory at tomorrow's games!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Spiting Cato is worth the expense."

Germanicus laughs, but turns more serious as they approach the gladiator.

"Make sure you are well-nourished once your duties are done, Gladio. We have high hopes for you in tomorrow's spectacle."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Aricus salutes the two men, "Thank you Lord Caesar. Senator. I have no doubt that my skill will please both of you and honor Mars tomorrow."

After the two men pass Aricus sighs. He is no longer annoyed at being ignored, but now relieved that the men are gone. "What am I, a gladiator, to say to two great men such as that?" he thinks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You are welcome, and I look forward to it," said Caesar, returning the salute as he walked on with Germanicus back inside, continuing the conversation. "I have pardoned Marcus Porcius Cato, and I will not spite him. You of course are free to do as you please."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I cannot believe a man as obstinate as Cato has ceased his war against you. He is too ornery to ever change his mind, or his manners. A family trait, no doubt."
Last edited by DrPeterson on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He takes after his father," said Caesar. "That man was stubborn to the end. I'd have pardoned him too, but he refused to give me the chance, for to accept my pardon would mean accepting my authority to offer it. That was something he could never do. Instead, he took his own life, depriving me of the chance to preserve it. At least his son had sense enough to know when he was beaten and accept it. That must come from his mother, for his father was void of it."

Titus Iunius Philo had recovered from his ordeal, resting in the guest room beside the one used by Septimus. The elderly seer in the next room was fast asleep, which Titus could tell from the sound of snoring coming from it.
OOC,[b]Marcus Porcius Cato[/b] is [b]Porcia Catonis[/b]'s brother. Their father, Cato the Younger, did not in fact yield. He died during the civil war, by his own hand, after his defeat at the Battle of Utica (though it's said that the attempted was botched and he didn't die immediately). It was his son who was pardoned, and still lives. He's younger than thirty at this point.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

The sound of loud snoring may not be a lovely as the song of a lark thinking:   but at least it shows that Septimus still lives. Truly the lady healer is blessed by the gods.  
Titus stirs restlessly. These matters of state are strange, involving people and things he does not understand. Perhaps the mighty gladiator Aricus, in attendance on the great men, has heard aught of these mysteries. It would be well to speak to him. But for now, one must rest.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Be that as it may, there are to many men like Cato and not nearly enough like Caesar.", Germanicus raises his voice as well as his cup so all his guests can hear.

"A toast to my honoured guests, long may they pillage my larder!", he laughs appropriately and the raises his cup to Caesar.
"And a toast to the saviour of Rome! Hail, Caesar!"
OOC:,I've adjusted my previous post somewhat.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The assembled guests raised their cups and echoed the toast, and everyone drank.

"Thank you, old friend," said Caesar. "We could use more men like you as well." He hoisted his own cup and made another toast. "To Germanicus, our gracious host and loyal son of Rome!"

From his chamber, Titus could hear the loud celebration, which precluded him from sleeping. He could also hear through the adjoining wall that it had awakened Septimus, as the snoring had stopped and a groan came from the other side.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Septimus," Titus cries. "Have you recovered, honored mentor?"
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Aricus raises his fist for the toasts and follows suit echoing the toasts, but does not drink finding it distasteful while in service.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I believe so," muttered the Septimus from the room next to Titus's, "but you'll have to speak up. I can hardly hear you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Titus tries to speak a little louder. "You and I both know that a terrible calamity is coming. Great Caesar, being fearless, exposes himself to peril. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this calamity, or at least render it less dreadful?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Fate cannot be prevented," called Septimus through the wall. "It would not be fate otherwise. The great man in my vision shall fall, and nothing can change that. It is decreed by the gods, and woe unto the man who goes against their will! The lesser men in my vision, though, who can say? I could not identify most of them individually, nor could I see their fates. The fog of war obscures much. Perhaps lives may yet be saved, the dead avenged, the outcome of the battle determined."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It was now around midnight, and the celebration was winding down. Guests were beginning to take their leave.

"Thank you, Germanicus," said Caesar, "you've been an excellent host, but I really must be heading home. If I don't return tonight, my wife will kill me. Hmm...perhaps that is the danger the augurs saw."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus laughs and clasps Caesar's arm, comforted by the man's wit.

"Then give my love to Calpurnia and tell her Germanicus asks to hold her poison until we've returned from campaign. If I don't leave the City soon, Rome will have another deranged senator to rule her."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I shall, my friend," Caesar said to Germanicus, clasping his arm in return. "I shall see you tomorrow, at the games. I bid you and your house good night." With that, he swept out, his entourage following him. Once Caesar had departed, the trickle of guests leaving soon became a flood. Only Germanicus, his servants, and a handful of his guests remained - along with the inevitable mess that Claudius knew that he would have to help clean.
OOC,Is everyone planning to stay here until morning, or does anyone want to go somewhere else?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus watches most of the people leave, anyone staying longer either was too drunk to leave according to proper decorum or had business with him.

"Claudius, make sure our guest don't leave the house empty-bellied or in want of anything. Tell the guards to halve their shift and start eating, but tell them to visit me before they leave. I shall be in my study."

Germanicus kisses his wife and daughter and thanks them for their excellent performance as hosts and then walks into his study. The room would have been airy and wide, hadn't it been filled with bookshelves and all sorts of potted plants. In one corner of the room, surrounded by the masks of his ancestors, stands Germanicus's armour. The senator moves towards it and traces his fingers across the dark leather.

"I wonder if it still fits..."
OOC,Unless called away, Germanicus will stay at home till tomorrow.

Return to “Episode 2”