IC-Ep 2-Eat, Drink, and Be Merry(Everyone else)

Story and his companions infiltrate the conspiracy and break into various houses in an effort to uncover evidence, and Senator Scaevola is implicated. Caelia Alba courageously visits Scaevola's secret lair to gather information. While their Roman friends spend an uneasy night dreading what may come tomorrow, the TARDIS crew bluffs its way in to Scaevola's villa to thwart his schemes, but all does not go as planned.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Ep 2-Eat, Drink, and Be Merry(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

The villa of Germanicus- north of Rome, Italia
Early Evening- March 14, 44 BC

The preparations continued, the servants acting with an efficiency that could only be produced by intense pressure, for they knew that Caesar was to be their master's guest - and the consequences they would face if they made a mistake. Numerous other guests trickled in as afternoon wore on towards evening, some of them soldiers who had taken up Germanicus's invitation. Others were random people from Rome who had heard the rumors that Caesar would dine here this evening and had come in hopes of seeing him. The guards at the gate screened the visitors, admitting those they deemed suitable and turning away the others. Before long, the feast was prepared, the table was set, and the entertainers were in place. A slave came running at top speed to where Germanicus stood, surveying it all. "Dominus, Caesar approaches!" he informed him, out of breath. "His litter has been sighted on the road."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-Eat, Drink, and Be Merry(Everyone else)

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus and his wife, Aemilia Scipionis, were greeting the guests, while his daughter, Tullia Germanica, was entertaining them in the atrium.

He nodded as the announcement was made.
"Very well, make sure everything is in order for his arrival."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The servants scurried around, carrying out their last minute preparations. Everything was perfectly in order when Caesar and his entourage arrived. A herald entered first, blowing a trumpet. "Gaius Julius Caesar, dictator in perpetua, has arrived!" he announced. A pair of lictors entered next, bearing axes instead of rods now that they were outside of the city limits. The axes were a symbol of their power to execute, and they could also be put to use if necessary. These were followed by the man himself. Caesar wore an elegant, formal toga with a purple stripe, as well as the laurel wreath upon his brow. "Hail, Germanicus! I thank you for your hospitality!" he called.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus smiled and welcomed Caesar.

"Hail Caesar, I thank you for honouring my house. You know my wife Aemilia. Would you care for some wine? I have recently acquired an excellent Chiotic vintage."

When the refreshments had been served, Germanicus proceeded to introduce Caesar to his other guests.
Last edited by DrPeterson on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Germanicus, I'd be delighted," said Caesar. A slave came forward with the wine, which he took and sipped. "Indeed, an excellent vintage!" When he finished the wine, he made the rounds and greeted the other guests. "Ah, Aricus Callidus Gladio, I thought that was you!" he said when he met the gladiator. "I hear you are going to fight tomorrow in Albinus's games."

"Hail, Caesar!" said Aricus, bowing. "You have heard correctly."

"Good! I shall be in the audience watching. I wish you the best of luck, though a man with your skill has little need of it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by Supercape »

Cladius managed to siphon off a little food for Scraps, the cat. However, he was most distracted. So much to go wrong! So many disasters! So many ways to be beaten or kicked!

His head bowed, his twisted frame in shadows, he listened carefully for any hint of trouble amongst the guests, and did his best to stay out of head, out of heart, and out of sight...
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"A warrior needs luck most of all, backed up by bravery and a sound strategy. Speaking of which..."

Germanicus leads Caesar to the eating area.

"How goes the planning for our Parthian campaign? Can I be of any particular help at this stage?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

More lictors and other members of Caesar's group filtered into the dining hall. The guests seemed very happy, and everything was going smoothly. Claudius found that he was completely ignored, perhaps willfully by some who preferred not to look at him. He might as well have been an ambulatory piece of furniture as far as they were concerned. Scraps, however, was very grateful to him for the food he slipped the cat, rubbing against his leg and purring contentedly. At least someone cared about him.

"Ah, I'm glad you brought that up," said Caesar to Germanicus as he walked with him to the table. "We'll need to know more about the enemy dispositions before we can finalize our plans, but I have given it much thought. I intend to follow in the footsteps of Alexander the Great and conquer the Parthians, not merely defeat them on the battlefield. We'll sail for Greece to pick up more troops and supplies, then across the Aegean Sea to land in Asia Minor. From there, we'll march to Parthian territory. Our first order of business is to seize a city near the border to allow for resupply as we progress deeper into Parthia. We shall have siege engines the likes of which Alexander never dreamed of. While the legions are the backbone of our forces, we'll also make good use of our more mobile auxiliary cavalry. We'll need men like that one there." He glanced over at Decius Lupus. "Maintaining our supply lines will be your responsibility, Germanicus. I'll have some maps that we can review together to decide which city shall be our initial target. But all of that can wait. Tomorrow is another day. Tonight, we celebrate!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I'm honoured, Caesar. Rome won't fall for the same stratagem twice. I'll see our horses and men properly fed and watered. I'll compose a few letters to our Armenian allies to secure a northern supply route and I would urge to retake Carrhae. It will be a great morale boost for us and a blow for them."
Germanicus stops and smiles.
"Look at us, the years flow from any man at the prospect of war and victory, but now, as you say, time to celebrate."

Germanicus signalled for the entertainment to begin and the food to be served.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Excellent," said Caesar to Germanicus. He took his seat and raised his cup of wine as the musicians began to play, the dancers started to move, and the wine and food flowed freely. "To victory and triumph!" he called.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"To Victory and Triumph!"

Germanicus echoed Caesar's words and poured some wine on the ground as an auspicious sign to accompany the words, before drinking from his cup.

Some time into the evening Germanicus lowers his voice and says:
"It will be high time we leave the City for some time. There is talk of treason and a plot against your life. I would cast aside those rumours since there is always such talk, but for the severity of those that brought those words to me."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I have heard some of these rumors myself," replied Caesar in equally hushed tones. "While I do not dare show concern in public lest I appear weak, I know I can share my concerns with you, old friend. I have heard only whispers and hints, such as what that soothsayer said this morning, but nothing specific. The timing of our campaign is no coincidence. It will indeed be safer for me on the battlefield than it will be here in Rome. At least there the enemy wears a uniform so you can tell who he is."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Indeed, my sentiments echoed! I have this on the authority of Caelia Alba, who is the daughter of Caelius Albus Graecus. She has revealed that the Brotherhood of the Beast are somehow involved. I know not the particulars, but they are believed to follow some black pharaoh."

Germanicus sees their cups refilled.

"I can offer you my best men, should you require them, and can place myself by your side to shield you. She said that they would try to kill you within the span of two days."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That makes sense, given what the soothsayer told me about the Ides of March," said Caesar. "This is the first I've heard of a Brotherhood of the Beast. Thank you for your offer of aid, but I have my lictors around constantly. I would be glad of your presence, however. Tomorrow I shall attend Albinus's gladiatorial games, which feature Aricus Callidus Gladio's return to the arena. It was good of you to invite him here tonight. I would be pleased if you were to sit beside me at the games."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus smiles genuinely.

"Nothing would be please me more, Caesar, nor put my mind at ease."

He eats a date and washes it down with some Chiotic wine.

"I attracted some extra servicemen to provide security tonight, both here and for Caelia Alba, who is attempting to acquire more information from our esteemed colleague Scaevola. These are dark times indeed, when we must trust to stalwartness of our former foes to safeguard our houses. Rome needs to be purged of this cancerous, conspiratorial corruption."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Very wise, Germanicus," said Caesar. "The men of the Legions are the most dependable there are. I have people I trust who will investigate who is behind the plot in our absence. By the time we return to Rome triumphant, they will know more, and that will be the ideal time to strike. Our popularity and support will be at their highest once the Parthians are subdued."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus smiles radiantly and nods in agreement with Caesar, uplifted by his vigour.

"Now, let us divert our thoughts for the evening. I have sent for some Greek poets to bring us their finest."

He claps his hands, signalling for the Greeks to appear and give their performance.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The poets, two young Greek men, emerged when Germanicus gave the signal and began to recite a poem extolling the virtues and beauty of the Greek countryside in the style of Theocritus. Caesar applauded when they finished. "Excellent!" he said. "I look forward to seeing Greece again even more. We won't be there long, of course, but we should get a good view as we sail along the coast on our way to Athens." The poets bowed and thanked Caesar profusely.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I long for a bit of fresh Greek air. It's been far too long."

Germanicus reclined in his seat and looked around rather contently. The evening was progressing nicely and he was more at ease now that he knew he'd be around to keep an eye on Caesar in the morning.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, it has," remarked Caesar, a wistful look in his eyes. "It was four years ago when we were last there. That was the Battle of Pharsalus. We were outnumbered by Pompey's forces, who were confident after they defeated us at Dyrrachium. The odds were never more against us, but our legions were strong and the gods were on our side. Pompey's men kept their distance and tried to bait us into charging them and wearing ourselves out, but we maintained our discipline and refused to take the bait. We rested where we were before we advanced. Pompey fought well, but he was no match for our genius. Once we routed his cavalry with our hidden reserves, he was finished. It was then that he fled to Egypt." He shook his head in sorrow. "It is too bad that the Egyptians killed Pompey. I never wanted that. I would have pardoned him. He was family, my daughter's husband."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 2”