IC-Ep 2-Eat, Drink, and Be Merry(Everyone else)

Story and his companions infiltrate the conspiracy and break into various houses in an effort to uncover evidence, and Senator Scaevola is implicated. Caelia Alba courageously visits Scaevola's secret lair to gather information. While their Roman friends spend an uneasy night dreading what may come tomorrow, the TARDIS crew bluffs its way in to Scaevola's villa to thwart his schemes, but all does not go as planned.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-Eat, Drink, and Be Merry(Everyone else)

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus looks at Caesar with unconcealed unease.

"It's not so much what I've heard, my friend, but what I've seen, or think to have seen anyway."

The aged senator sighs deeply and looks his friend in the eyes.

"I do not believe Adelphus to be wholly human, or even partly. When your lictor kicked him in the Forum this afternoon, I believe I saw him for what he truly is. I saw a creature with purple scales and a serpentine look."

He smiles kindly and adds:

"This can only mean two things, Julius, either the Gods themselves have sent a messenger to warn the Son of Venus, or I have grown feeble at last and can no longer stand the noonday sun."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah," said Caesar, lowering his gaze, so much feeling in that one word that wasn't a word. "You have not grown feeble, old friend. I shall have to take his warning more seriously. Surely a being such as that does not intervene for a jest." He glanced up and noticed Lupus across the garden. "I see one of the military men you have invited. Excellent! It is such strong and courageous men who will bring us victory and triumph!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

The festivities were well under way before Titus left the side of the ailing Septimus. Anyone who had reached an advanced age was worthy of great respect, particularly one gifted with such insight into the workings of the Fates. Yet the old man seemed eager for death. Were the times ahead to be so terrible?

He made his way to the feast quietly. The guests were flirting, laughing, and gossiping, as the soft sound of flutes and lyres played in the background. Titus hoped to be able to find some simple dish to sustain him. Perhaps something like barley seasoned with fish sauce. He could hardly expect to feast on larks' tongues and pomegranates!

He cast a few simple fortunes for the guests. It hardly took more than a knowledge of human nature to tell a lady that she would be lucky in love, but must be careful not to offer her heart to the wrong man, or to inform a soldier that the path to glory was a narrow one, which required both courage and caution.

Germanicus and Caesar seemed to have withdrawn, no doubt to discuss affairs of state in private. Titus took notice also of Claudius, the deformed slave. Those whose bodies the Gods afflicted were often marked for some special fate. Did not great Caesar himself suffer from the falling sickness? The fact that such a wretched slave showed kindness to a dumb animal also suggested that there was more to him than first met the eye. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to have a few words with him.

It occurred to Titus that Germanicus had been present during the strange metamorphosis of Adelphus. If he had seen it also, that would confirm that the vision was a true one. When the opportunity presented itself, he would ask the Senator if he had noticed anything unusual about the man, if man he truly was. Perhaps Germanicus, or even Caesar himself, would request an augury. If so, he would do the best he could.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"No, indeed, your thoughts reflect mine. I would feel much safer if you were to wear armour under your toga tomorrow, my friend.
"

Germanicus follows Caesar's gaze towards Lupus and smiles.

"I seem to have a score of seers and wise men in my house at the moment, perhaps we should consult them before they empty my tables."

"Decius Lupus, approach!"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Even Caesar is not above the laws of Rome," said Caesar. "I shall not wear my armor until after we have left the city to head to war. But yes, it would be a good idea to consult an augur one more time before we depart." He watched the cavalryman.

Inside the banquet hall, Claudius shuffled forward carrying a tray of food, holding it out to Titus while staring at his feet, which did not seem very interesting. Many slaves acted in this manner, as though they felt they were not worthy to look upon their betters. Titus to his delight found that the tray did indeed contain barley soaked in garum. Even now his ability to foresee the future seemed to be working constantly, though it was a culinary trend to put everything in garum.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Titus accepted the tray of barley gratefully, relishing its savory aroma. He nodded and smiled at the deformed slave by way of thanks.

"By the way, I believe you were present in the Forum when the seer Adelphus and I were there. If you happened to notice anything unusual at that time, I believe that your master would be most interested. I know that I would very grateful for any such information."

The poor fellow probably knows nothing, but it may prove valuable to have a contact among the servants of Germanicus. Many a comic play has shown us how a slave may be cleverer than his master!

As he enjoyed his barley, licking the salty, tangy garum from his fingers, Titus noticed a burly, hard-featured man with the look of a Gaul and a military bearing attend to Caesar and the Senator. This might prove to be of importance.

One of the most important skills for an augur is keeping his ears open!

Titus stepped closer to the place where the three men stood talking.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I find it best not to bother the Marthter with something unless he brings up the matter," said Claudius. That precept had probably saved him from countless beatings throughout his miserable life.

Titus stepped out into the interior garden where the three men stood, the cool night air refreshing him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus smiles and clasps Caesar's hands.

"Although the answer pleases me greatly, my friend, it does not set me at ease. I shall be close by your side tomorrow and be your armour when the need arises."

Germanicus then turns to the Gaul.

""Decius Lupus, go inside and fetch the augur Titus Iunius Philo, Caesar has need of his skill. "
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Lupus paled under his scarred and barred face. How am I meeting Caesar? He looked down at his armour and made a hasty attempt to straighten it.

Squaring his shoulders and lifting his chin, Lupus marched over to Caesar and Germanicus and gave a smart Army salute.

"Ave, Caesar. Decius Lupus, Auxiliary Cavalry and Exploratores, at your service. And General Germanicus, I must compliment you on your beautiful villa."

Lupus stood smartly at something very close to parade rest, although this was far from a parade ground, and tried not to look nervous. He assumed a respectful silence beside the two great generals and upon the order to fetch the augur, immediately headed off in search of him.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus smiles at the soldier.
"My wife is more to thanks for the upkeep of my villa, Decius Lupus, I merely tend the garden. You should convey your compliment to her, she will be well-pleased. Now off you go."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Salve, Decius Lupus," replied Caesar, returning the cavalryman's salute. Lupus turned back, and there was Titus Iunius Philo at the entrance of the garden. He had just arrived, as if his special knowledge of the future had let him know he would be needed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Lupus was impressed by this augur's evident abilities. He quickly strode over to Philo.

"Wise one, Caesar himself requests your attendance." Lupus gestured towards said hero of Rome. Lupus then followed discreetly, close enough to protect these important men but far enough away not to be a nuisance.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Titus bowed low and made salute to the great Caesar.

"Hail, greatest of warriors! These are strange times, when spirits roam the Earth, and a serpent may walk like a man."

He glanced at Germanicus to see how the Senator might react to these words.

"If my humble talents may be of any service to you, I am ready. May the gods unseal my eyes."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Caesar saluted back. "So I have heard, good augur," he said. "Let us see what the future has in store."
OOC,[b]Titus[/b], please roll Science(Augury). Also, please let me know whether or not you're actually using the Augury spell.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"You truly have the sight, Titus Iunius Philo, or sharp ears."

The senator smiles and motions for the augur to continue his business.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"When Caesar says 'do this,' it is performed."

Titus watched the evening sky, nearly dark now, to observe the movements of birds. He also listened closely for the cries of ravens or owls. Both the voices of oscines and the flights of alites could reveal the future, if interpreted correctly. It would take all of his skill, and great concentration, to properly perform the ex avibus augury.
Spoiler:
Titus will spend a magic point to cast the Augury spell. First roll is for the Augury success, the second is for the Sanity cost.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
Titus seemed a bit shaken by his vision, but not to a great extent.

"I believe the gods have allowed me a glimpse of the future, honorable sirs."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Titus leaned back his head and looked up into the sky. There were a lot of ravens, and they seemed to be congregating around Mars. Surely war was in the offing. Then his eyes rolled up into his head and he received a vision.
Titus Iunius Philo,[b]Titus[/b] saw a vision that reminded him very much of what [b]Septimus[/b] had reported seeing. He saw a half-man, half-snake in battle with a Sphinx, and Rome was their battlefield. Each combatant also had a large army at its disposal, though the vast majority of the troops seemed unaware even of their commanders' existence. The Sphinx's army also included various figures with the body of a man and the head of a beast: jackals, lions, crocodiles, and numerous other animals. A great man who led the snake-man's army was suddenly felled by knives. Then swords were drawn and the armies engaged each other. There was massive bloodshed, and flames erupted across the city. Everything was in turmoil as the battle raged. Members of one house rose up against another. Sometimes members of the same house fought each other. Among the carnage, he noticed a great general of the snake-man's troops charge forward and do battle with the leader of the Sphinx's soldiers, but they were obscured by smoke. It was impossible to see who would emerge victorious. Did it even matter? [spoiler]You only lose 1 Sanity from casting the spell itself, but you may incur further Sanity loss from the creatures you saw in the vision. Please roll Sanity (remembering to deduct the 1 Sanity you've already lost first) again. Sanity loss is 0/1d8. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, you must roll Idea to avoid temporary insanity. If the Idea roll succeeds, you will go temporarily insane. If it fails, then you may act normally.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As the vision grew clearer Titus understood why it had nearly killed Septimus. Surely mortal men were not meant to witness such horrors! He struggled to control himself, his arms trembling with fear.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Although very badly shaken, the augur was able to retain enough courage to speak in a stuttering voice.

"Mother Rome is in terrible danger! The Serpent and the Sphinx battle over her wounded body! Foul murder fills the streets with blood! The mighty will fall, and brother will slay brother! Beware, Caesar!"

Exhausted, Titus sank to his knees, breathing heavily.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus looks on as Titus oracles and when he sees the man collapse, he calls out:

"Claudius, wine for the augur!"

He steps up to fallen sooth-sayer and puts his hand on his shoulder.

"Rest awhile, Titus Iunius, you are overcome by heavy prophecy, but alas we have heard these words before!"

He looks to Caesar and asks:

"Know you their meaning, my friend?"
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Lupus watched the augur's efforts with approval and at Philo's collapse nodded with satisfaction. Both by heritage and by career calling a superstitious man, Lupus felt that if an augury was called for, a decent augury should be had, and Philo had definitely done good service.

Lupus also rushed to aid the augur after his collapse. They were, after all, the gods' own messengers, however crazy.

Return to “Episode 2”