IC-Ep 2-The Mysteries of Egypt(Caelia/Artemis/Spurius)

Story and his companions infiltrate the conspiracy and break into various houses in an effort to uncover evidence, and Senator Scaevola is implicated. Caelia Alba courageously visits Scaevola's secret lair to gather information. While their Roman friends spend an uneasy night dreading what may come tomorrow, the TARDIS crew bluffs its way in to Scaevola's villa to thwart his schemes, but all does not go as planned.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-The Mysteries of Egypt(Caelia/Artemis/Spurius)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I had heard tales of the wonders of the temple," said Scaevola, "and of the great wisdom of the priests of Thoth there. I simply had to go and see for myself. Who wouldn't want to make the journey? Ah, but where are my manners? I've had a meal prepared for us. Would you care to feast?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

"Yes of course. Thank you for showing us around." Caelia thoughtfully follows Scaevola to the dining area; It all seems above board but... she wishes she knew more about the Thoth religion as Scaevola seems particularly enamored by it.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

"Your offer is truly generous, Senator, and feasting would be very much appreciated." Artemis followed along with Spurius. "Senator, I feel the fool, for I have to say I know nothing about the religions of Egypt and so know nothing about Thoth. Could you give a simple soldier some guidance on that which seems to be a great draw to you and your house?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It is wisdom above all that I have sought," said Scaevola, leading the way back to the atrium and then down a short hall to the peristylium, an open-air garden lined with columns, "and wisdom I have found with Thoth. The priests of Thoth have knowledge that few men possess, but they do not share it lightly. One must be initiated to learn their secrets."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis followed and looked about the various parts of the Senator's villa. "So it is one of the many secret religions and societies of the Republic.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It is like the mystery religions in some ways, yes," said Scaevola, leading them into the triclinium, where a sumptuous banquet awaited. Egyptian servants stood ready with trays containing wine and various foodstuffs. "Please, help yourselves. The main course will be in shortly."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis wandered over to one of the servants, took one of the glass tumblers of wine and tasted some of the food stuffs. He was rewarded with tastes that surpassed anything he could have expected.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Caelia nibbles delicately on an otter's nose. "Knowledge is indeed the most wonderous thing; I feel I'll never know all that medicine has to offer in my lifetime. Which saddens me. What does the initiation involve - or is it too secret for you to say?"
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis enjoyed the luxory of the room, the food, and the decorations. His eyes wandered about like a child seeing the world anew. There was a twinkle in his brownish amber eyes that reflected outward. His eyes took in everything, architecture, decorations, furnishings, and the exotic look of the Egyptian servants that wandered about with offerings of food and drink. Even Spurius seemed to be enjoying himsef in the room. When Caelia asked about the initiation ceremony, he found his attention coming back into focus on their purpose for being there.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, but there is knowledge and then there is wisdom," said Scaevola, pausing to wash down his food with some wine. "Wisdom teaches us how to use the knowledge we accumulate. Any fool can know things, but the wise know what to do with those things. I too lament that I will never know everything. There simply is not enough time for any mortal to learn it all. But, as Socrates said, wonder is the beginning of wisdom, and I can see that you too possess it. The mysteries of Thoth are not for the uninitiated, and the initiation itself is the first of those mysteries. I cannot tell you of it - but I can show you. As an adept in the mysteries of Thoth, I can administer the initiation rites if you wish. You are certainly worthy, dear lady."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"So Thoth has its mystery, but isn't the Sphynx the one who guards mysteries and secrets?" Artemis asked confused and uncertain as to what was going on about him. His pronunciaton of Thoth was thick and clipped.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The Sphinx does indeed guard mysteries," said Scaevola, "which is why I have one guarding my home. The Sphinx guards Thoth's secrets on his behalf."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Would they also protect the Pharaoh or the Egyptian nobility? Surely, Rome would benefit from a strong protector such as what the Sphinx appears to be" Artemis stretched on that, but felt that there was a need to try to determine the role the Senator played locally.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, the Sphinx is also the protector of Egypt, of the Pharaoh, and of her family," said Scaevola. "Rome does benefit indirectly from her friendship with Egypt already, and further benefits would accrue from a closer relationship."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Yes, I do wonder what Caesar has in mind in that regard. He has a lot of power already; I hope he uses it wisely in the years to come. He could do with a sphinx of his own to guide him." Caelia considers the offer of initiation - surely that would be one step too many for their cause!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Caesar has too much power for any one man to wield," said Scaevola. "Dictators are to be chosen for terms not exceeding six months, and only for the duration of the war. With the war ended, there is no legal justification for him remaining in that position."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"But, surely there are benefits for Rome from him leading, that has to have value too?" Artemis asked with obvious sincerity.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"It's true; Caesar has a lot of experience going for him and who else has his capabilities at the present time? I can't think of anyone." Caelia sips her wine.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Us soldiers, young and old, remember him as the man who not only lead us into battle against the enemies of Rome, but more importantly, brought us home afterwards," Artemis added.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Many people feel that way about Caesar," said Scaevola, taking a sip of wine himself. "It is one reason he is so popular. However, the Republic was never designed to be ruled by one man. We had enough of that when we were ruled by kings, and that must never be allowed to happen again. Power is a poison. When it is concentrated in one place, it has a corrupting effect. Even someone who started out noble, with the best of intentions, can be consumed by power when exposed to too much of it. It must be diluted. That is why the Republic is supposed to have two consuls who rule Rome, each elected to terms of one year. Caesar himself Is one of the consuls, and Marcus Antonius is the other. That is al well and good. But there is no need of a dictator at the present time, especially one who remains so for the rest of his life."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 2”