Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 2-The Conspirators(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook)

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy
The House of Cassius- Rome, Italia
Mid afternoon- March 14, 44 BC

Lucius led Story, Elizabeth, and Brook through the streets of Rome. While things had changed somewhat in the intervening years since he had last been in Rome, the layout was still the same, and he was easily able to find Cassius's family home. It was a luxurious home, as befitting a Senator. A servant, a tall young man with dark hair and olive skin, stood within the gate watching the street.

Re: IC-Ep 2-The Conspirators(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook)

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:30 pm
by yockenthwaite
As they near the house, but still far enough away for them to talk quietly unheard, Elizabeth asks the others "So, what strategy shall we adopt here? Similar to in Cleopatra's? Who should we say we are?"

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:08 pm
by Thorn
Brook slows down a little, and ponders Elisabeth's question. "Yeah, we can't just walk up and ask if the Brotherhood hangs out here...But perhaps we could say we have a message?"

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:00 pm
by jaysun81
Story looks at his companions realizing that he never thought their course of action through and says, "Quite right. We don't want to bumble out way through this. That said, if all else fails we can simply play the seer card."

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:08 am
by yockenthwaite
"What about combining both those ideas?" muses Elizabeth quietly, looking to the others. "Perhaps you could pretend to be a seer Story, and have a mysterious message for Cassius, cryptically including some mention of the Brotherhood?"

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:46 pm
by jaysun81
"Splendid idea Elizabeth!" says Story. Taking a moment to look around and collect his thoughts he then says, "It's a shame we really don't know more about this Brotherhood. Hopefully the fact that we know of the plot will smooth over any stumbles made."

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, an excellent idea!" said Lucius. "Shall we make the approach?"

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:54 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Yes let's," says Elizabeth, smiling. "Hopefully this will work!"

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:42 pm
by jaysun81
"Indeed! Lead the way my friend." says Story to Lucius.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:55 pm
by Thorn
Brook tries to look as Roman as possible, walking a few steps behind Story. She glances at the young man at the gate, smiling a little. Romans were cute...

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy
The servant at the gate smiled back at Elizabeth and Brook, clearly appreciating them. Lucius strode forward and addressed the young man. "Hail and well met," he said. "My friends have traveled a great distance to bring an important message to Cassius. Story here is a most wise seer."

"Good day to you all," he replied. "Unfortunately, Cassius is not at home, but if you leave me the message, I shall see that he receives it as soon as he returns. Are these young ladies his daughters?"

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:12 am
by jaysun81
Story looks at his female companions and then to the servant before saying, "They are indeed. You may tell Cassius that Story the Wise simply says the time is nearly at hand when brothers not of blood, but of oath will stand together." Taking a moment he then continues, "Tell me when will Cassius return? It would be a shame if I miss a chance to see him."

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy
"I shall relay the message, sir," said the servant. "Cassius is due to return this evening. He is currently at the house of Servilia, meeting with friends."
Brook Davies,[b]Brook[/b] recalled that [b]Servilia[/b] was the mother of [b]Brutus[/b], and that the she sheltered the conspirators in her house after the assassination.

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:00 pm
by Thorn
Brook nods a little to herself, and smiles at the servant. "Thank you." She steps a little closer to Story and looks up at him, nodding slightly.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:16 pm
by jaysun81
Story steps away from the servant to confer with his companions saying, "Well, he's not here. Perhaps we should proceed over to the house of Servilia. We can't wait forever to find the Brotherhood connection."

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:41 pm
by Thorn
Away from the servant, Brook says:"Servilia is the mother of Brutus. The assassins took shelter in her house after the murder. Perhaps they hid there before as well."

Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:20 am
by jaysun81
Story nods at Brook as he says, "Yes, yes... that would make sense." Looking over at Lucius he asks, "The house of Servilia, are you familiar with it?"

Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:39 am
by Mr. Handy
"I believe so," said Lucius. "I know of a Quintus Servilius Caepio the Younger, a praetor and legate who had two daughters named Servilia. They were young back then, so it is possible that one of them could be the mother of Brutus."

Brook was able to confirm that she was indeed his daughter, and with her information about Servilia's family, they were easily able to find the house. Brook also knew that Servilia was the mother-in-law of Cassius, which was a potential reason he might visit unrelated to the conspiracy against Caesar. It did not take them long to reach the house, which was in the same wealthy neighborhood. There too a servant waited at the door, this one older and bald.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:55 pm
by jaysun81
As they approach the house Story looks at the servant and says, "Good day! Tell me, is Cassius here today?"

Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy
"Good day to you as well," he said. "Yes, Senator Cassius is here. Who may you be, and what is your business with him?"

Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:10 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth stands quietly while Story makes his introductions, her hopes rising a little as she hears the servant's response.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:56 pm
by jaysun81
Story momentarily bows his head to the servant before saying, "I am merely a seer known as Story and have come to seek an audience with him, for it is nearly time for brothers to stand together and usher in what's to be."

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy
"I shall relay your request to him," said the servant. "Please wait here." He stepped inside the house and shut the door.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:14 am
by yockenthwaite
"Well that's promising," says Elizabeth, raising her eyebrows and looking to Story and the others. "At least he's here. Now if only he'll see us ..."

Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:52 pm
by Thorn
Brook looks at the others, suddenly feeling a bit nervous. "What are you going to tell him, Story? Remember, these are the people most likely to stab you in the back..."

Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:06 am
by jaysun81
Story looks thoughtfully into the distance, pondering his answer. After a few seconds he looks at his companions and says, "The truth. That vigilance is required for the coup may be compromised. Remember as horrible as it is in the moment, we have to make sure this assassination happens. While I pray we're not meant to be part of the responsible party, we've got to insure the integrity of the timeline. I understand if this is asking too much, but the slightest change could erase everything you... no, everything we know from this era forward. That said, I fear that this was not merely a simple assassination... there's something far more sinister at work here with this Brotherhood. Perhaps if we can get into the inner circle we can uncover what nefarious motive really lies beneath the plot to kill Caesar, and that my friends is what we must hamper."

Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy
The servant returned, opening the door and stepping to one side. "You may enter the house of Servilia as her guests," he said. "Senator Cassius awaits you in the atrium."

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:43 am
by jaysun81
Story nods his thanks to the servant and walks into the house.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:01 pm
by Thorn
Brook follows quietly, taking note of where the possible exits are.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:05 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth follows as well, looking discreetly around her as she goes into the house.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy
Story and his companions walked through the vestibule into a large open-air courtyard. Various doorways led off from it in different directions, and a corridor led deeper into the house. In the atrium were several people. A tall, gray-haired woman of about sixty years old strode forward to greet her guests. Her beauty had not yet faded despite her age. "Welcome to my home, travelers," she said. "I am Servilia." She introduced four more of the people present in turn, each of them wearing a toga with a purple stripe. "Allow me to introduce my son Brutus, my son-in-law Cassius, whom you have come to see, Servilius Casca, and Publius Servilius Scaevola, more distant relations." She then pointed out an man of about her own age with white hair and deep, thoughtful eyes. Another man of the same age who was obviously a slave stood behind his shoulder, wax tablet and stylus in hand. "And last, but certainly not least, is Marcus Tullius Cicero, the famous orator."
Brook Davies,[b]Brook[/b] knew of [b]Scaevola[/b] from her research on [b]Caesar[/b]. He had been one of the lesser known conspirators responsible for [b]Caesar[/b]'s assassination. Though he was too minor a figure for her to have learned his ultimate fate, she imagined he would have been defeated with the other assassins in the coming war against them led by [b]Marc Antony[/b] and [b]Octavian Caesar[/b].

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:17 am
by jaysun81
Story smiles and says to Servilia, "Well met madam. The Gods have smiled upon you." He momentarily bows his head. As she begins to call out names his eyes follows her voice around the room, assigning a face to a name. When she mentions Cassius he nods in agreement with her statement. Once she completed the introductions he smiles again before saying, "It is a pleasure to meet you all. My name is Story the Wise, and these are my traveling companions - Lucius, Elizabeth, and Brooke."

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy
"I am delighted to meet you all," said Servilia with a smile. "Other than Lucius, who is clearly Roman, you all look to hail from Britannia. You have indeed traveled far to come here."

"You have knowledge of the future, you said?" asked Cassius, studying Story intently.
OOC,[b]Lucius[/b], you may roll Know to see what you know about [b]Cicero[/b]. [b]Story[/b], [b]Elizabeth[/b], and [b]Brook[/b] may roll History.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:42 am
by mindrot
Lucius, who was standing behind his friends, bowed when Story call his name, but kept silence, trying to remeber something about people they met here.
Lucius Know,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:01 pm
by Thorn
Brook History [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:35 am
by jaysun81
Story turns his attention to Cassius, "I do indeed. Change is coming."
SUCCESS,History 55% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy
"Change always comes," said Cicero. "It is the one true constant."

"Are your words for my ears alone, or may others hear them?" asked Cassius.
Story,[b]Story[/b] recalled that [b]Cicero[/b] had most likely not been part of the conspiracy against [b]Caesar[/b], though he did support the conspirators after the fact. Another thing clicked in his mind that he had never realized before. [b]Cicero[/b]'s career as a politician really took off around 70 BC when he had successfully prosecuted [b]Gaius Verres[/b], the corrupt governor of Syracuse. His companion [b]Lucius[/b] was the brother of [b]Gaius Verres[/b].

Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:08 pm
by jaysun81
Story nods and smiles at Cicero before turning his attention to Cassius, "For now I'd say for yours alone... pardon the interruption. I sought you at your home, but was told I would find you here."

Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy
Cassius nodded. "Very well, I shall hear your words in private," he said.

"You may use the tablinum," said Servilia, pointing out a room off of the rear of the atrium, directly opposite the way they had come in.

"Thank you. Follow me, Story." Cassius led the way to the indicated room.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:43 pm
by jaysun81
Story follows Cassius to the room. He waits to speak until his companions file into the room. Once they enter and Cassius indicates it's okay to speak he says, "Cassius the time is nearly at hand when brothers not of blood, but of oath will stand together. I tell you the truth that even now there are those who would seek to move against what fate has determined shall come to pass."

Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:21 pm
by mindrot
Lucius follows Cassius as well, looking intently in his face, while Story is speaking, trying to catch any hint of Cassius fellings or thoughts about what he hear.
Insight 65%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:48 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth rolls History (stat 70%) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy
The tablinum was a study, with luxurious chairs and tables for reading and shelves lined with many scrolls and books.

Cassius raised an eyebrow. "It is good to know that our endeavor is fated to succeed," he said. "It is likewise good to know that others oppose it, though not so good that they do. Who else knows of what is to come and seeks to prevent it?"
OOC,[b]Story[/b], [b]Elizabeth[/b], and [b]Brook[/b], you may roll Psychology.
Elizabeth Young,[b]Elizabeth[/b] recalled that [b]Cicero[/b] had not been part of the conspiracy against [b]Caesar[/b], though he did support the conspirators after the fact. He had even said that he wished he had known so that he could have played a part in it. Another thing clicked in her mind that she had never realized before. [b]Cicero[/b]'s career as a politician really took off around 70 BC when he had successfully prosecuted [b]Gaius Verres[/b], the corrupt governor of Syracuse. [b]Lucius[/b] was the brother of [b]Gaius Verres[/b]. Roman prosecutors got to keep the wealth of those they convicted, and [b]Gaius Verres[/b] had had a lot of it, largely ill-gotten. She also remembered that [b]Cicero[/b] had a slave named [b]Tiro[/b], who had invented shorthand. He was no doubt the man with the wax tablet and stylus, who must have been taking notes. [b]Cicero[/b] would die the following year, in 43 B.C., at the hands of a centurion who may have been acting on the behalf of [b]Marc Antony[/b], with whom [b]Cicero[/b] was at odds. [b]Tiro[/b] would outlive him by nearly forty years, dying at the ripe old age of about a hundred.
Lucius Verres,[b]Cassius[/b] did not seem to understand the oblique reference to the Brotherhood of the Beast, but he did seem concerned that others knew of the plot and sought to thwart it. However, it relieved him to hear that the assassination was destined to be successful. He had been suspicious of [b]Story[/b] at first, but now that he heard his words he was more relaxed.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:46 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth rolling Psychology, stat 47% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:04 pm
by Thorn
Psychology [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:27 am
by jaysun81
Story studies Cassius for a moment as he ponders how to respond.
Success,Psychology - 90%[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Story,[b]Cassius[/b] did not seem to understand the oblique reference to the Brotherhood of the Beast, but he did seem concerned that others knew of the plot and sought to thwart it. However, it relieved him to hear that the assassination was destined to be successful. He had been suspicious of [b]Story[/b] at first, but now that he heard his words he was more relaxed.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:33 am
by jaysun81
Story smiles at Cassius and says, "A simple wizened seer." With a wave of his hand he dismisses the statement saying, "No one to worry about."
Persuade - 85%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy
"You speak of Adelphus," said Cassius. "He is the soothsayer who warned Caesar to beware the Ides of March - tomorrow. I have heard the rumors about him, and they say there is more to him than meets the eye. No, I think he is someone to worry about very much."

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:59 pm
by mindrot
As Lucius sees what Cassius became more relaxed about their group, he decided to be more straight:
"Can you be more specific in this case? I mean about Adelphus.", - Lucius thinks for a while, - "Whom from you've heard this rumors? Maybe you can guide us to someone, who knows more? And, as I see, you don't know much about the Brotherhood of the Beast? May it be, that Adelphus is a member of this mysterious society. And what makes you think of him as of big danger?"

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy
"The Brotherhood of the Beast?" asked Cassius. "What is that? Regarding the rumors, I heard them from a trusted client who was in the Forum this morning. He did not witness it himself, but people in the throng mentioned that they had seen Adelphus briefly change his appearance when he tried to warn Caesar again, that he wasn't truly human. The big danger Adelphus poses is that he knows the future, and that he tells it to others. That is hazard enough."

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:32 pm
by jaysun81
Story looks at Cassius and says, "Yes... I saw it. Adelphus did seem to alter in appearance for a brief moment. Perhaps it was simple a trick of light and shadow."

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:16 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Yes, some of us saw it," says Elizabeth, tentatively speaking up for the first time. "Sir," she says, addressing herself to Cassius, "do you know of any of Adelphus's associates, or contacts? Perhaps that might lead us to the society we are seeking."

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy
"I know that he frequents the palace of Queen Cleopatra," said Cassius. "She is well known to be Caesar's mistress, so it makes sense that he would try to warn her lover of what he knows."

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:32 am
by jaysun81
Nodding his agreement Story says, "Indeed. Regardless, rest assured Cassius...what fate has decreed will come to pass." Surveying his companions for a moment he then says, "If I may be so bold, how well do you know those who are committed to this undertaking?"

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"I have known them for years," replied Cassius. "Some of them are kin to me, but all are my friends and colleagues. Some I know better than others, but I am familiar with them all."

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:13 pm
by mindrot
- And what have you heard about Nefertiri, the Queen Cleopatra's bodyguard? May be something special? - Asked Lucius, trying to summarize everythig he knew so far.
Idea=80%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,Dont't really know what to ask about any more, thik we should return to Cleopatra, but rolled Idea in case if Mr. Handy could share some :D

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, I nothing about her servants," said Cassius. "I've nothing to do with Cleopatra, but the fact that she has her claws in Caesar is yet more cause for concern."
OOC,If you're done talking to [b]Cassius[/b], just let me know, and I'll move things along. [b]Nefertiri[/b] is [b]Cleopatra[/b]'s body servant, not her bodyguard - at least as far as you know.
Lucius Verres,It occurred to [b]Lucius[/b] that some of the other guests present here could be [b]Cassius[/b]'s co-conspirators. If they were planning to assassinate [b]Caesar[/b] tomorrow, it would make sense that they'd go over the plan and make last minute preparations.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:25 pm
by mindrot
"I see. Big thanks to you, Cassius. I think, should go now, and may be visit Queen Cleopatra's palace."
Lucius is ready to leave Cassius house, and waiting his friends to do so.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:37 am
by jaysun81
Story nods at Lucius and says, "Quite right... perhaps we should take our leave. We've gobbled up enough of your time Cassius. Thank you for seeing us."

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy
"You're quite welcome," said Cassius with a bow, "and thank you for sharing your wisdom with me." He went back into the atrium with Story and his companions.
OOC,Everyone, please roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:38 pm
by mindrot
Heading at the exit, Lucius carefully looking around him and at Cassius guests.
Spot Hidden=61%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,Damn, hope i haven't bump in column or fell in water reservoir. :D

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:24 pm
by Thorn
Brook looks around as they exit, glad to be out of there unharmed.

spot hidden[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:28 pm
by jaysun81
As they walk back to the atrium with Cassius, Story carefully scans the room.
Success,Spot Hidden - 28% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Lucius was distracted looking at a pretty serving girl instead of where he was going, and he walked into a column. Fortunately, nothing was hurt but his pride. The girl covered her mouth with a hand strategically, to hide what was obviously a smile.
Story,[b]Story[/b] noticed that [b]Senator Scaevola[/b] was no longer among [b]Servilia[/b]'s guests.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:06 am
by mindrot
"Ouch!" Confused and blushed, Lucius made apologies and left the house. Outside he sighed deply and looked at his companions.
"Well, what next? Time is passing fast, and we need to act accordingly. I suspect that not Queen Cleopatra, but her bodyservant Nefertiri could be the link to the Brotherhood we are seeking. And also I think someone should stay here to watch after house and Cassius guests, and follow them. Some of them, if not all, should be the conspirators, and I think they might do some preparations tonight. So, I suggest we should split. I can stay here, who else?"

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:14 am
by jaysun81
Story shakes his head and smiles upon seeing Lucius bump into the column.

Once they've left the house and gotten a little distance away he says, "Hmmm... I'm not sure if any of your noticed but Senator Scaevola was no longer there. It may be nothing, however he could be the brotherhood connection." To Lucius' question he responds, "Watch the house you say? While that may not be a bad idea, we can't afford to be discovered."

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:46 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth rolls Spot Hidden (stat 48%)
[dice]0[/dice]

"Yes I was wondering if there are any other obvious conspirators who we could talk to, who weren't here," says Elizabeth, turning to the others. "I agree that Nefertiri sounds like a possible connection, and I like Lucius's suggestion of watching this house and Cassius's guests as they leave. Though I'm not keen on splitting up, four of us watching this house would definitely draw attention, in a bad way! So what about two people stay here to watch, and two go to talk to one more person, maybe Story's suggestion of Senator Scaevola?"

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:09 pm
by mindrot
Lucius nodded at Elisabeth' words. "Yes, it's what I mean: two of us could watch the house without drawing suspicions, while the rest might meet with Nefertiri, or make visit to Scaevola. Or, on the other hand, IF Scaevola already left the house, AND there aren't any other crucial conspirators inside, then watching after them could be totally pointless." Lucius made helpless gesture. "Anyway we should decide fast"

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
The sun was getting low in the sky. Story and his companions had been inside the house for a while.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:29 pm
by Thorn
Brook shrugs, not quite sure what they should do.
Spoiler:
Sorry about my abscence, distracting stuff happening irl, with husband in the hospital.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:12 pm
by jaysun81
After standing around for a bit Story says, "Very well. Lucius, you and Elizabeth watch the house. Brook and I will look for Senator Scaevola. Whether we find him or not we will return to Nefertiri's abode. Perhaps we can meet back up there?"

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:47 am
by yockenthwaite
"That sounds fine to me," says Elizabeth, smiling, relieved they have a plan of action. "Ok with you too Lucius?" she asks, turning to her friend.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:32 am
by mindrot
"Absolutely, let's find good spot for watching." Answered Lucius, nodding and looking around for a good place, where from he and Elisabeth could see as much as possible and not attract unnecessary attention.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:43 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth nods, and looks around as well, though she trusts Lucius to spy a place more easily than her, given his background and skill sets.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:10 pm
by jaysun81
Story looks at Elizabeth and Lucius and says, "Good luck my friends." He then turns to Brook, "Let's go find the good Senator Scaevola. I'd expect it shouldn't be that hard."

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Story[/b] and [b]Brook[/b] are moving to the thread linked below:
Seeking a Senator
OOC,[b]Elizabeth[/b] and [b]Lucius[/b] are moving to the thread linked below:
Another Stakeout