IC-Ep 2-No Tomorrow(Everyone)

Story and his companions infiltrate the conspiracy and break into various houses in an effort to uncover evidence, and Senator Scaevola is implicated. Caelia Alba courageously visits Scaevola's secret lair to gather information. While their Roman friends spend an uneasy night dreading what may come tomorrow, the TARDIS crew bluffs its way in to Scaevola's villa to thwart his schemes, but all does not go as planned.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Ep 2-No Tomorrow(Everyone)

Post by Mr. Handy »

THE BROTHERHOOD OF DEATH
EPISODE 2

Forum Romanum- Rome, Italia
Early afternoon- March 14, 44 BC

The ancient seer Septimus Scribonius Magnus cleared his throat. "I saw a beast, part man and part snake, doing battle with a Sphinx. The two were locked in mortal combat, and Rome was their battlefield. Men fought as well, some on each creature's side at their command, but few there were who even saw their commanders. First knives came out, and then a great man fell. Then the swords came out. I saw blood and fire, chaos and destruction!" He gripped the fringe of Titus's clothes with a weak and trembling hand. "I prayed to all the gods that I would not live to see it come to pass. It was terrible! House fought against house, brother fought against brother. It was like in the war between Caesar and Pompey, only worse! I fear the Republic is doomed!" Tears poured from his eyes and rolled down his cheeks. Then he suddenly lurched backwards, clutched his chest, and collapsed...
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-No Tomorrow(Everyone)

Post by aine »

Caelia spots Artemis and Spurius coming towards her. "Ave, you look very smart." She says admiring the togas. "Have you been shopping? It's just as well as I was hoping one or both of you might be able to accompany me tonight to a senator's residence. It's..." Over Artemis' shoulder she sees someone collapse in the crowd, "Oh no, something's happened!" She pushes through the crowd to reach the body on the floor.
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook thinks for a moment, trying to remember all the weird Roman names from her paper. Looking to Elisabeth, she replies:"Gaius Longinus. Marcus Brutus, Decimus Albinus, Servilius Casca, and Lucius Cimber, like Story said. And there was a Minucius and a Rubrius...Actually, one source says there were over 60 men involved in the assasination itself. They should be at Pompey's theatre, I think...Something was going on there, a staged gladiator fight or something, and Decimus Brutus had provided the gladiators, perhaps to use them in the attack. They were waiting in the great hall. The Senate often had their meetings at the theatre, and when Caesar arrived there, he was directed to a room there, where Cimber petitioned him to pardon his brother or something. The other conspirators crowded around, and that's when the assasination happened. He was stabbed 23 times."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Caelia rushed to the fallen augur's side. It was quite clear that Septimus was no longer breathing. Oddly, there seemed to be a smile on his face.
OOC,[b]Caelia[/b], if you want to try to save [b]Septimus[/b], please roll Medicine. [b]Brook[/b], please roll Idea.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis smiled at Caelia's comment about the toga he was wearing, and then looked a bit puzzled at her comment regarding accompanying her to a senator's residence. He thought to himself, Wasn't she there when Germanicus invited us all to his villa?

But she brushed pass him in a rush to some commotion that had arose behind him. He spun about and tried to follow her through the crowd. He could make out a crumpled form on the ground and saw her kneel to the elderly man's side. He watched her, or rather tried to between the standing people who were shifting about. I wonder who he was, Artemis asked himself.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Caelia immediately recognises the old man and he doesn't look good. Considering the latest events, her first thoughts are of foul play and she looks up to quickly scan the onlookers before seeing what she can do for Septimus.
Keeper,Mr H, I'm suffering from dicelessness for a few days,please could you roll spot hidden and medicine for me. Caelia also looks to see what has happened to Septimus.
Emma.Wyatt
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Emma.Wyatt »

Titus bends down to cradle the old man, Septimus and make sure gross his head doesn't lay in the dirt. He looks hopefully at Caelia, thinking maybe she ran over because she had assistance to offer.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Caelia was too distracted by trying to save Septimus to notice much of her surroundings, but looking at him it was apparent that his heart had given out. He was ninety years old if he was a day, so at his age it would not be surprising. One piece of hidden medical knowledge she had learned in Egypt was that it might be possible to restart a stopped heart by applying force to it. She had never had cause to attempt it before, but she did so now, and her technique was perfect. Interlacing her fingers, she slammed the palms of her hands into the elderly seer's chest with all her might. At this point, there was no sense in holding back for fear of causing damage, for he would be dead if this did not work. Septimus coughed weakly, his eyes blinking open. He moaned as he took in his surroundings.

"What have you done?" cried Septimus.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (35% skill) looking around: [dice]0[/dice] Medicine roll (65% skill) trying to save Septimus: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus wasn't paying much attention to the commotion until he caught something about the end of Rome and a war more terrible than the one against Pompey.
He had his lictors clear a way through the crowd to where Caelia Alba was tending the dead (or not quite) seer.

"What is the meaning of this?" he demanded to know in a most authoritative voice.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Caelia sits back on her heels, stunned, as the old seer comes back to life. "By the gods, It worked!" She breaths. "Stay calm and breath slowly."
She tells Septimus and orders someone to support his shoulders up whilst she raises his knees up and makes him comfortable. Caelia looks up as Germanicus speaks.
"He's had a heart attack. He needs some serious care and rest. Could you order a litter to carry him out of these crowds?" Caelia looks shocked and keeps looking at the old man in disbelief.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The crowd, while focused on the commotion, had the presence of mind to get out of Germanicus's way, especially once the lictors started shoving them aside. Soon he had reached Caelia and Septimus.

Caelia was perhaps not as shocked as the augur himself, who was stunned that he was still alive - and disappointed. "It's not fair..." he wept. "I was at peace. Now I must live through the horrors to come upon Rome. Why do the gods mock me? We cannot call a mortal being happy before he's passed beyond this life free from pain." Germanicus recognized this last part as the final line from Oedipus Rex. No doubt the seer had just watched the performance as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"She brought the old man back from the dead," Artemis said to himself. He shook his head and watched in disbelief as the man began talking again to Caelia, he remained in close proximity to the two of them and moved slightly closer as the lictors made way for Germanicus. He listened to the exchange and kept a watchful eye on the crowd to see if anyone else might be paying too much attention to the exchange between the old man, Caelia and the Senator.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"None that live in times of trial would deem their fortunes fair, augur, yet it is in these times that our mettle is tested."

On the side he whispers to Cladius: "Fetch a litter and get this man to some rest in my garden, then make sure everything is put in order for tonight, the food as well as the security."

He turns back to the crowd and raises his voice.

"Do not forget that the truest blades are forged in the hottest fires, and no metal is truer than that of Rome! Whatever storm may come, Rome will endure. Rome will conquer! Roma victrix! Hail Caear!"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hail Caesar!" croaked Septimus, his voice weak but no less enthusiastic. "Thank you, Senator Germanicus, you are too kind. I am not afraid of having my mettle tested. I've been tested plenty in my long life. No, I fear only seeing the horrors that will befall Rome that I saw in my visions. I love Rome and Caesar so much that it would break my heart. Indeed it already has, but this young lady managed to mend it somehow." He gave Caelia a thin smile. "I know you meant well. You did not know that I would have rather died. I suppose I could put out my eyes like Oedipus to keep from seeing what will happen, but I do not think that would help. Alas, the days when I could take action are long gone. All I can do is see what is to come and be powerless to prevent it, like Cassandra."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"It was not my skill, Dear Septimus, that brought you back. The gods must have decided you still have an important part to play in what is to come."

Caelia supervises the settling of the frail old man in the litter. "Thank you, Senator; your residence is much closer than mine and your garden is cool and quiet. I'll go with him, if I may, and settle him in. He'll need a few days of complete calm. If that's possible."

She turns to Artemis and Spurius. "Will you come with me? From there we should go to the palace and then to Senator Scaevulus'." She lowers her voice, "It might be dangerous, do you have weapons?"
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis nodded that he had in a weapon, and watched as the servants loaded the old auger into a litter. He approached Caelia and asked, "So we will not be staying at Germanicus' villa this evening?" He tried to deliver the question without any hint of disappointment, as he had hoped to work his village's cause amongst the other guests that might be in attendance, but she had mentioned another Senator and so that possibility may still exist.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Caelia says quietly to Artemis and Spurius,"No, we don't go to Germanicus although I would much prefer his hospitality. I have been invited to Senator Scaevulus' residence this evening to view his Egyptian collection. I love Egypt and would normally relish the chance to see the artifacts. However, I have this feeling that Scaevulus is not what he appears to be on the surface; I'm not saying he's one of the brotherhood, although he could be, but we should watch our step and try to glean as much information as we can.

I don't feel secure going on my own so I'm hoping you can watch my back, pick up the gossip with the servants and look around for anything suspicious while I entertain Scaevulus."
Caelia grimaces, "He's a bit of a creep too. Once we are out of there we must send a message to Germanicus to say we are safe."

As soon as the litter is ready, Caelia follows it towards Germanicus' residence.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I would be a fool indeed to refuse such able hands, Caelia Alba."

Germanicus smiles kindly and turns to Septimus.

"Come, senex, we are not in one of the great tragedies of old, and you will find your words fall not on deaf ears. Once you have regained your strength, we shall talk at length about what has been and what is to come. No words of wisdom shall go unheeded or unrewarded in my house."

He waits for the patient to be loaded and then sets off towards home again.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Septimus nodded as the servants placed him on the litter. "Thank you once more," was all he could manage, his speech having taken a lot out of him. The group began to move to the north and the nearest gate leading out of the city towards Germanicus's villa, giving the Subura a wide berth. The villa would be a good place for Septimus to recuperate, and it would be relatively safe if Rome did descend into chaos.

Brook could not think where the conspirators might be found.

"If the conspirators are Senators," said Lucius, "they most definitely would not be found in the Subura. I do not know who they are, as they are after my time, but I do recognize some of the family names. They were prominent the last time I was in Rome. I'm sure I could locate the houses of their families, but which one shall we try first?"
OOC,[b]Brook[/b]'s Idea roll (70% stat) about where to find the conspirators: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by Supercape »

"Fetch a litter and get this man to some rest in my garden, then make sure everything is put in order for tonight, the food as well as the security."
Cladius bowed as deeply as his bent spine could allow. Which, in fairness, was very deeply indeed.

"Yes, Marth'ter. Your wish is my command, Marth'ter" he said through split and scarred lips.

Cladius made haste, as well as able, to fetch said litter, and more importantly, another slave to carry it with him.

Unfortunately Cladius was not well popular with the slaves of his masters house. He was not popular with any, barring his cat,

Nevertheless, preparations should be made. Cladius was devoted to his master, for without his patronage, he would be a beggar at best. So his fingers snapped, his tongue pleaded, and food was prepared. Security was another matter, especially if the rumbling rumours were to be believed. He paid them little heed; but instead watered the wine for the guards, bade them pay attention and bade them not get drunk, at least tonight.

Return to “Episode 2”