Kingsport Horror (ic)

In the sleepy town of Kingsport, unspeakable horror hides awaiting its time. Not only does Tulzscha run rampant, but it also blazes a trail for Yibb-Tstll. Five ordinary people from various walks of life will try to prevent it from destroying all they hold dear. Will they succeed?

Moderator: Tabs

ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Kingsport Horror (ic)

Post by ProfToff »

[quote="ProfToff"]Image

Movement T8(Focus 2)
Shoppe>>Northside>>Merchant>>The Unnameable
Enter the Dreamlands

As Rex wandered down towards the Science district he noticed a dilapilated house that he had never really noticed before. With time on his hands he wandered up to the shuttered front door expecting to see a padlock or nails in its frame. None were present so he turned the handle and stepped through the threshold into...
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

Turn 7, Arkham Encounter, Arkham Asylum
Spend $2 to fully restore Sanity.
Turn 8, Upkeep and Movement
Arkham Asylum -> Downtown -> Easttown -> Velma's Diner
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

SANITY 6/6
STAMINA 3/4

SPEED/SNEAK 3/0
FIGHT/WILL 1/4
LORE/LUCK 4/3

Turn 8 Movement / encounter

Go to the congregational hospital, pay $1 for increase stamina, flip a rift marker.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 8, Arkham Encounter, Police Station
If you succeed at a Luck (-1) check, then Deputy Dingby absentmindedly leaves you holding his gun. You may search the Common Item deck for a .45 Revolver (errata: should read .38 Revolver) card and take it.
Luck = 1, auto fail; Clue spend for revolver (1d6=6), excellent!

Turn 8, Arkham Encounter, Velma's Diner
You get food poisoning! Pass a Luck (-1) check or lose 2 Stamina. :!:
food poisoning? (1d6=5)

"Oi! Velma, this macaroni is a bit--maggoty."

"But you've cleared your plate, dear."

Michael belches, the noise reverberates round the diner. He holds his distended gut.

"Yeah, I guess I did."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Mandy[/b] gains $2. [b]Rex[/b], if you fail your Lore check, use my Research ability to reroll.
Turn 8 Arkham Encounter, Woods->Unknown Kadath (1st area)

Mandy follows an odd wind that seems out of sorts, and it soon leads her to the portal she seeks. Taking a deep breath, she approaches it and is again pulled through by an overwhelming force.

Turn 8 Other World Encounter, Unknown Kadath (1st area)

Mandy finds herself on a vast freezing plateau covered with snow and ice. More snow is falling, the flakes settling delicately on the ground and now on her. She shivers, crossing her arms over her chest. "I wish I still had my cloak," she says, her teeth chattering. A glint of gold catches her eye, and she finds a small gold coin half-buried in the snow. "This'll be worth a pretty penny!" She picks it up and pockets it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Encounter T8
Lore 3 - 1 = 2 2d6.hits(5)=0
re-roll
Lore 3 - 1 = 2 2d6.hits(5)=0
bugger bugger bugger LiTaS for me, what do I lose again, is it half items and clues?

Edit
actually I might as well use some clues to try and save this situation rather than lose clues AND items.
Clue 1 = 1d6.hits(5)=1
Huzzah! (Wow 6 rolls made in the 20 so minutes since I made mine, busy site)

Be no seal unless I get lucky next encounter or someone can get a clue to me somehow peeps.

As Rex wandered through the eerie landscape something huge and monstrous rose from the ground in front of him. Crouching behind a boulder for some time when Rex arose there was no sign of the monstosity and Rex continued on his way.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 8, Mythos
Soup Kitchen Seeks Donations! (MH)
Gate: Black Cave--nope--Elder Sign.
Clue Appears At: Hibb's
Monster movement: Elder Thing -> Rivertown
Mythos Ability: If a single investigator spends $3, every other investigator with no money gains 1 Stamina.--(We've all got some cash.)
Rift progress marker--Artists' Colony (white circle; black sq. and diamond).
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

SANITY 6/6
STAMINA 3/4

SPEED/SNEAK 3/0
FIGHT/WILL 1/4
LORE/LUCK 4/3

Turn 9 upkeep: None

Turn 9 Movement ->Central hill -> Pay $1 to go to the train station in Arkham, have encounter there.

(I have 1 point of movement left and I don't particularly want to be in the streets, so having an encounter in the station might be good. I am three moves away from the Unnamable, so will be able to get there next turn. Also, there are several encounters in the train station which allow for fast movement anywhere)

Carolyn had been reading the research notes, and realised that she was just going round in circles here in Kingsport. The papers referred to something in the Unnamable. Perhaps that should be her next port of call.
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Upkeep T9(Focus 2)
Sliders no change
Speed/Sneak: 3/3 (4/5)
Fight/Will : 2/2 (4/3)
Lore/Luck : 3/3 (5/4)

Movement T9
2nd area of Dreamlands
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 9, Upkeep & Movement
No changes. Police Station -> Easttown -> Hibb's Roadhouse. Pick up Clue token.

Turn 9, Upkeep
Fight down to 5, Will up to 2.
Movement
Velma's Diner -> Easttown -> Downtown -> Northside -> Train Station
Trade
http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Tommy_Gun
Image +1 Evade check
for
Dynamite: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Dynamite

Michael McGlen spots the "fit" broad who wears a blue suit and glasses. He sidles up to her, smirking.

"New in town?"

ooc,I was tempted to write a conversation between these two, Michael was to address Carolyn as "speccy," but I didn't want to speak for[b] Peacehammer's[/b] investigator.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

What was it about men approaching her while at this train station she wondered?
Tabs wrote:Michael McGlen spots the "fit" broad who wears a blue suit and glasses. He sidles up to her, smirking.

"New in town?"

ooc,how is that?
She stepped off the train and shivered quietly from the cold air as she pondered how to answer.

Michael gave a casual grin and pulled out a cloak, "Here speccy, I seen some crazy things these past nights, last thing I want is for some bird to die frm the cold on me"

He put the cloak around Carolyn's shoulders and held her for an inappropriately long time. Taken aback at this, Carolyn thought that she should give something in return lest he think that giving her clothes meant that he felt entitled to help her remove others.

Opening her bag she drew out the dynamite that she had been carrying for some crazy reason. Given the look of this man, he might have need of something this dangerous.

Michael's eyes widened as he saw the explosives. "... are you sure?"
"Better you carry it around than me"
Taking the dynamite and drawing away, he said "Well looks like you are much more of a wildcat than I thought."
Carolyn thought of her safe existence not too long ago "I just hope it doesn't blow your balls off" she replied with a wry smile.
Michael laughs loudly at this, drawing looks from other people in the station.
Carolyn continues, "I have seen my own fair share of nasty things myself over the past few days. I have a feeling that it is only going to get worse"
Michael looks into the distance at all the horror that Arkham contains. As the guards start ushering people on to the train to Kingsport, he hands over a heavy bag, "Here, I am going away for a while, if you are staying in Arkham you will probably need this more than I will." Stepping on to the train with a grin he says, "See you when I get back, and I'll make sure that my balls are safe for you".

Carolyn rolls her eyes at this as she waves him off.

When the train has gone, she found a quiet area and looked into the bag. She was shocked to see that it contained a Tommy gun. Dynamite had been one thing, what was she supposed to do with this?[/i]
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Priceless write up Al, honestly psml at it. Suprised you never managed to mention the the crazy ol' lady with the tea but loved it mate.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3631324/]Roll to keep Blessing (on anything but a 1) (1d6=2)[/url]. [b]Mandy[/b] increases Lore from 1 to 2 and decreases Luck from 3 to 2.
Turn 9 Upkeep, Unknown Kadath (1st area)

Mandy refreshes her memory as to her studies, trying to get her bearings so she can find her way out of this frozen hell and back home, where she can then close the portal for good.

Turn 8 Movement, Unknown Kadath (1st area)->Unknown Kadath (2nd area)

Mandy trudges on through the endless snow and ice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

ProfToff wrote:Priceless write up Al, honestly psml at it. Suprised you never managed to mention the the crazy ol' lady with the tea but loved it mate.
Thanks, I enjoyed writing it. I don't think that I could have fitted the lady into that part.

SANITY 6/6
STAMINA 3/4

SPEED/SNEAK 3/0
FIGHT/WILL 1/4
LORE/LUCK 4/3

Turn 9 upkeep: None

Turn 9 Movement -> Central hill -> Train station in Arkham,

Turn 9 Encounter

Carolyn was still looking into her newly acquired bag and it's contents when a young man came up behind her with a wrapped package "I'll swap you this for something?".

The sudden interruption caused her to jump interrupting her guilty thoughts. She spun around looking guilty, blocking view of the bag with her body. "What?!" she exclaimed.

The young man was a little taken aback by this, but continued "I got sent this as a present, but I am not sure that I want it. I just wondered whether you might want to trade."

"Umm, no. I don't have anything that I want to trade right now, I am all out of things that I would like to exchange, I am
completely happy with all my belongings right now, that is to say that I don't want to partake of your offer. Um, sorry." Realising that she was babbling, Carolyn stopped talking, snapped her bag shut, gathered together her belongings, flashed a smile to the perplexed young man, and scurried off.

What was it about her which caused men to approach offering things in this train station, she wondered?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 9, Arkham Encounter, Hibb's Roadhouse
Pass a Luck (-1) check or a pickpocket cleans you out! Lose all your money.
Auto fail, and I wanna save my Clues.

Luke opens the door to Hibb’s Roadhouse and is hit by a wave of heat, smoke and music. He enters, loosening his robe as he does so, grinning, enthused by the swinging atmosphere. The piano-man is really laying it down, thumping at the keys with passion, rivulets of sweat streaming down his neck beneath his cardboard collar. Luke spots the old bartender, asleep in a corner, and chuckles to himself, the poor bugger must be exhausted! This is the place to relax and forget about all the crazy shit in Arkham, for a while, at least. A gorgeous woman in a satin dress sashays up to his table--Luke is captivated—“she can’t be a hooker, surely?” The woman drapes her arms over his shoulders.

“Mine’s a highball, lover, whisky and soda.”

Luke nods, playing it as cool as he knows how. He goes straight to the bar and orders: he is getting excited. The other—younger--bartender slams down the drinks.

“That’ll be a greenback.”

He reaches for his wallet, and as his hand gropes—comically--at nothing, Luke realises what a cretin he has been. The tail of his eye catches sight of a satin dress exiting through a backdoor. He doesn’t hesitate, but sprints away from the bar in pursuit. When he wrenches open the door, the pickpocket is in an alley, literally stealing away. She hesitates, then, runs. Luke’s excitement turns into rage, he sprints down the side of Hibb’s towards Easttown; quickly overhauling her Luke tugs at the woman’s flying tresses and in the same motion brings his knee up to the small of her back, the bone of his knee connects with the bone of her spine. She collapses with a pathetic yelp, Luke falls, and they crash together amongst the garbage bins. He sits atop, pinning her to the grimy ground, and slaps her across one cheek. She is panting in exertion and panic, Luke watches her chest heave . . . and thinks.

A deep bass voice:

“I’m Tom, an’ gen’lemen don’t strike a gal, not where I come from.”

“Tom! This man is trying to rape me.”

Luke springs away from the woman, as if she is red hot. He takes one look at Tom—a mountain of a man—and flees.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3632600/]Luck(-1) check (Luck 2 - 1 = 1 die) to avoid losing an Elder Sign (1d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3632603/]Luck(-1) check (Luck 2 - 1 = 1 die) to avoid losing an Elder Sign, reroll from Research (1d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3632608/]Luck(-1) check (Luck 2 - 1 = 1 die) to avoid losing an Elder Sign, spending a Clue token (1d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. This succeeds (I rolled a 4 and forgot about the Blessing). I had made some more rolls after, but they were unnecessary. Argh! I wish I'd forgotten to raise my Lore by 1 in order to get it up to 4 in time to seal the Gate. Now it won't be sealed, but at least we didn't lose an Elder Sign we already had on top of it.
Turn 9 Other World Encounter, Unknown Kadath (2nd area)
As Mandy walks through the barren wastes, she comes across a tall figure shrouded in a black hooded cloak, much darker than the one she had given up, standing behind a small table with a chessboard on it, all set up to play. "Care for a friendly game of chess?" it asks in a deep, booming voice.

"You're not Death, are you?" she asks, her brow furrowed.

The figure chuckles. "No, not at all. But I do know how you can get home. If you win, I'll tell you. You can move first."

"Okay." Mandy approaches the table and surveys the board. She isn't very good at chess. She shifts the king's pawn forward two spaces as an opening move.

"If I win," says the figure as it moves its own king's pawn up two spaces, "all of your hard work will be undone."

Mandy gulps. She tries her best, but the pressure is getting to be too much. She is able to hold her own, but for a long time she can't make any progress. They go back and forth, pieces are exchanged, and Mandy is slowly but surely losing. She still has a similar number and type of pieces, but her adversary has better position. She pushes a pawn forward, not knowing what else to do, and looks up in surprise to see that she has placed her opponent's king in discovered check. The figure is forced into playing defensively, reacting to her moves instead of pressing the advantage. Finally, she manages to win a hard-fought victory. "Checkmate!" she exults. The strain has taken a lot out of her. "Now, how do I get home?"

"The gateway is behind me." The figure steps aside, and she can see a shimmering portal in the distance. "You may return to your own world. I would not want you to miss its destruction." It chuckles deeply again.

Mandy grimly proceeds forward. She glances back over her shoulder, but her erstwhile opponent has vanished!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 9, Arkham Encounter, Train Station
You step up to a waiting cab just as a well-dressed traveller does. "I'm headed that way, too," says the other man. "The fare's on me." Move to any street or Arkham location and have an encounter there.--Is Michael allowed to journey to Kingsport? If so he'll go to Congregational Hospital and restore 1 Stamina; otherwise he'll stay put.--Okay, since the encounter card was from Kingsport Expansion, I've decided that Michael stays at Train Station.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Doom token added to the doom track (9 of 11).
ImageImage ImageImage
Monster movement: Cultist -> Merchant Dist.
Headline text: monsters in Arkham = 8, Dark Young and Byakhee -> Outskirts.

Shit, shit, shit! I just realised that there are too many gates: Unvisited Isle, The Unammable, Graveyard, Science Building, Woods and Witch House.

The Final Battle
Doom track: 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 10 11
Yibb-Tstll awakens, "-X" is set to 1.

1. Investigators Refresh--Upkeep, first player becomes ProfToff, and we can trade.
2. Investigators Attack--I need to check out the Epic Battle and Ancient One Plot Cards.

The investigators attack is based on "Focus," so those of us with 1 Focus can never hit Yibby, so that's Luke and Michael out for nil points . . . can we use Clue tokens?--yes, we can, I think. Before The Final Battle starts let's think about our options.

Edit: I've struck the above, I got it all wrong--must be the shock of the Ancient One.
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

bollocks! I never seen so many gates open without surges or Elder sign counters.

So he ain't got any resistances/immunities. I think I could just use my brazier for as long as possible which means I got Dread Curse of Azathoth for anyone with the Lore/Sanity to take it on.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Ouch.

Um, ok...
Tabs wrote:1. Investigators Refresh--Upkeep, first player becomes ProfToff, and we can trade.
2. Investigators Attack--I need to check out the Epic Battle and Ancient One Plot Cards.
I don't think that I have played an epic battle before. What does that mean / what effects does that have?
Tabs wrote:The investigators attack is based on "Focus," so those of us with 1 Focus can never hit Yibby, so that's Luke and Michael out for nil points . . . can we use Clue tokens?--yes, we can, I think. Before The Final Battle starts let's think about our options.

Edit: I've struck the above, I got it all wrong--must be the shock of the Ancient One.
From what I have read, it seems that the first player is the only one who can die, but everyone else can attack.

ProfToff wrote:bollocks! I never seen so many gates open without surges or Elder sign counters.

So he ain't got any resistances/immunities. I think I could just use my brazier for as long as possible which means I got Dread Curse of Azathoth for anyone with the Lore/Sanity to take it on.
I have taken the liberty of looking at all the equipment and stats and trying to come up with a plan.

I have a tommy gun and shrivelling:
Casting Modifier: -1
Sanity Cost: 1
Any Phase: Cast and exhaust to gain +6 to Combat checks until the end of this combat.
Hands: 1

That is 2/3 as good as your spell, but only takes one hand. If I can have something else 1 handed-say, the .38 revolver or the Enchanted Knife, I can kick out quite a few dice.

I am thinking that Mandy should have the Dread Curse of Azathoth and Luke's crystal of the elder things partly because she has a reasonable lore, but also is the only one who is blessed here, so since the Dread Curse is the single most damaging thing we have, that should go to her for maximum effectiveness.

For most turns both Luke with Sword of Glory which is 2 handed +6 dice, and Michael with the Tommy Gun +6 dice will be well equipped, but for the first turn, Luke would be better equipped to have dynamite (+8 dice) as he has a re-roll to the combat check.

Oh, and I have research materials which isn't a clue token, but can be used, I think Mandy with her blessing would be the best recipient for that.

Taking all the above into account, plus focus changes for the fight scores, assuming Rex doesn't get Devoured, and -1 per player for the clue tokens left on the board, we will be rolling about 44 dice in the first turn, with quite a few of those being re-rolled / blessed!

SANITY 6/6
STAMINA 3/4

SPEED/SNEAK 3/0
FIGHT/WILL 2/3
LORE/LUCK 5/2

Upkeep, boosting lore and fight. Mandy, if you are going to be casting the Dread Curse for a while, do you want to have my boost to sanity?

Return to “Episode 5 - Kingsport Horror”