Kingsport Horror (ic)

In the sleepy town of Kingsport, unspeakable horror hides awaiting its time. Not only does Tulzscha run rampant, but it also blazes a trail for Yibb-Tstll. Five ordinary people from various walks of life will try to prevent it from destroying all they hold dear. Will they succeed?

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Kingsport Horror (ic)

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643581/]Spell check (Lore 3 -1 [Shrivelling] +1 [Time Stands Still] = 3 dice), casting Shrivelling (3d6.hits(4)=1)[/url]. I'm so glad I have that Blessing! :D [b]Mandy[/b] loses 1 Sanity from the Spell and 2 for attacking, dropping her to 2. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643585/]Combat check (Fight 3 +6 [Shrivelling] +3 [Enchanted Knife] - 1 [Yibb-Tstll] = 11 dice) attacking Yibb-Tstll (6s count as 2 successes, 1s count as -1) (11d6.hits(4)=5)[/url]. That's actually 7 successes right there (one 1 and three 6s). I rolled two 4s, so the Blessing pays off again. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643587/]Using Research to reroll failed dice to attack Yibb-Tstll, Round 1 (6d6.hits(4)=3)[/url]. I got two 1s this time, so that negates one of the new successes (the other one replaces the one I rolled before), for a net gain of 4. 11 hits so far, or more than an entire Doom token! [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643589/]Using Bullwhip to reroll a 1, Round 1 (1d6.hits(4)=0)[/url]. That cancels a 1, so 12 hits. This brings us to a total of 28/110 so far. [b]Carolyn[/b]'s turn.
Final Battle Round 1, Investigators Attack

Mandy takes a moment to exchange equipment with the others fighting alongside her, learning a powerful spell that she is only barely able to master. She lays into Yibb-Tstll with an unmatched fury, her spell and her special knife devastating it. She even uses her trusty bullwhip to swing out of harm's way at one point. Even so, with all the damage she and her companions had inflicted on it, it shows no sign of falling any time soon. However, it is definitely weakening. Mandy feels her mind starting to slip away, and she staggers back to join the other woman, who had helped her steady herself before the battle.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

ooc

Excellent Mandy! Can we even dare to hope for a victory? I've got a horrible feeling we're gonna start dropping like flies, starting with Luke next round. :(
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Peacehammer »

SANITY 4/6
STAMINA 3/4

SPEED/SNEAK 3/0
FIGHT/WILL 2/3
LORE/LUCK 5/2

Ok, attack - lose 2 sanity - Attempt to cast cast Dread curse:

Crystal of the elder things - 2 uses left.

Lore 5, -2 for spell = 3 dice (is that correct?):

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643876/

1d6 → [2] = (2)
1d6 → [2] = (2)
1d6 → [1] = (1)

Fail. Bleh.

@Tabs reminded me that I get +1 die for skill checks (I thought that it meant suceeding on a 4+ rather than a 5+):

1d6 → [5] = (5)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643977/

Pass!

9 dice for spell, +2 for fight, -1 for YT penalty = 10d6:

Oh so very much better:
10d6 → [4,6,3,4,1,6,6,2,4,1] = net 4 sucesses!
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643979/

Spoiler:
-This is the combat roll that I made because I forgot about the +1 to the lore check above.

Fires tommy gun:
+6 for gun, +2 for fight -1 for YT penalty = 7d6:

7d6 → [2,3,2,1,6,2,2] = 1 net success.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643886/

I originally forgot about the -1, and I rolled 8d6, which results in slightly more successes:
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643883/
8d6 → [2,2,3,1,6,5,3,1]
I wasn't sure what to do, so I re-rolled it.

:facepalm:

All this time Carolyn had been looking at this incursion as an abstract problem to by analysed. Now faced with the full horror of the monster in front of her, she only dimly remembered exchanging items with people and all the strategied discussed. Failing to use the items given she could only fire off a single bullet as the monstrosity advanced.

Taking the spell and crystal thrust into her hands, she concentrated. Confusion reigned and her thoughts clouded, but then Carolyn concentrated and read it all again, with a little help from a friend, she managed to cast the spell which caused harm to the great leviathan which threatened all. She could feel the draining effect from the spell, but it was curiously distant, and realised that the crystal was taking the drain away.
Last edited by Peacehammer on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer wrote:Attempt to cast cast Dread curse:

Crystal of the elder things - 2 uses left.

Lore 5, -2 for spell = 3 dice (is that correct?):

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643876/

1d6 → [2] = (2)
1d6 → [2] = (2)
1d6 → [1] = (1)

Fail. Bleh.
Maybe it's not too bad. . . . "Time Stands Still" grants +1 to skill checks except Combat checks; so Carolyn rolls another d6 for her Lore check.

Okay, Round 2, let's do Upkeep, at the end the first player becomes myself, so Luke is facing up to Yibby this round; after Upkeep, I'll post the Epic Battle card. Carolyn can perform "Psychology" during Upkeep.

Round 2, Upkeep
Refresh "Marksman" skill and Brazier [Brazier of the Souls only refreshes if you spend all of your Focus to do so--Fight stays at 3]. Luke trades Brazier to Rex. He also has a Unique Item and 2 Spells to trade,--certain Epic Battle cards will say to discard items in order to attack,--he gives Gate Box to Michael, Mists of Releh to Mandy and Flesh Ward to Carolyn.

Luke cheers as his companions strike at Yibb-Tstll, and is relieved when the chap with a goatee dodges the pseudopod.

The pause before the next onslaught allows him to hand out his items, he gives everything away, including his treasured Gate Box, because he realises his turn to face the jelly-demon is at hand. He smiles as the trade takes place, hoping his hands are not trembling too much.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Tabs wrote:Maybe it's not too bad. . . . "Time Stands Still" grants +1 to skill checks except Combat checks; so Carolyn rolls another d6 for her Lore check.
Thanks for that, I forgot it was +1 die, i thought that it was a +1 to the dice result.
Tabs wrote:Flesh Ward to Carolyn
Unfortunately, the spell says "Any Phase: Cast and exhaust to ignore all Stamina loss being dealt to you from one source. Discard this spell if the Ancient One awakens"

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Flesh_Ward

SANITY 4/6
STAMINA 3/4

SPEED/SNEAK 3/0
FIGHT/WILL 4/1
LORE/LUCK 5/2

Upkeep: boost fight to 4, whoever needs the sanity healing (Mandy?).
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Upkeep FB2(Focus 2)
Refresh Brazier
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer wrote:
Tabs wrote:Flesh Ward to Carolyn
Unfortunately, the spell says "Any Phase: Cast and exhaust to ignore all Stamina loss being dealt to you from one source. Discard this spell if the Ancient One awakens"
Bah!

Carolyn scored 4 successes in Round 1, that's 32 of 110.
ProfToff wrote: Refresh Brazier
Already refreshed by Luke before he traded. (i) Upkeep (ii) first player changes (iii) trade.

Round 2, Upkeep
No changes.

Michael accepts the toy box from the weirdo wearing a bathrobe; he notes the shaking hands.

"We got this critter licked!"

Luke cannot help but shed a solitary tear, it slides down his cheek, and drops from his chin into the dust below.

"I don't know why you're so cheerful, it's your turn next."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, I definitely need that Sanity point! [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3644723/]Roll to keep Blessing (on anything but a 1), Round 2 (1d6.hits(2)=1)[/url]. [b]Mandy[/b] increases Lore from 3 to 4 and decreases Luck from 1 to 0.
Final Battle Round 2, Investigators Refresh

Mandy steels herself to charge the enormous monster again, having been comforted by some reassuring words from Carolyn. She tries to recall Yibb-Tstll's weaknesses from her studies.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Order: Luke, Michael, Mandy, Carolyn and Rex.

Luke attacks, he has nothing to discard. 3[Fight] -1[c. m.] (1d6=4, 1d6=5), 1 success (he won't use his "Marksman" skill).

Michael does not attack.

"I don't know why you're so cheerful, it's your turn next." The words ring in Michael's head like a death knell. He loses hope.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

If trading goes before attacking this turn, does anyone have an attack which is powerful enough to warrant throwing away a weapon / a weapon / spell not good enough to keep?
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

I aint got diddly 'cept fer my Brazier so no attack for me!
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Well, there is the bullwhip which basically allows 1 re-roll, while useful I am not sure if it is better than a whole turn's attack from someone, and the 'Mists of Releh' can be ditched. Mandy has an enchanted knife (+3), a pistol (+3) as well as shrivelling, so might be worth giving up one of the one handed items - just a case of who it goes to.

If I pass the lore check then I can kick out 13 dice, Rex reliably kicks out 12 dice, Michael reliably puts out 12, Mandy also puts out 12 with a successful lore check - and is also blessed.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer wrote:If trading goes before attacking this turn, does anyone have an attack which is powerful enough to warrant throwing away a weapon / a weapon / spell not good enough to keep?
Too late for trading,
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Tabs wrote:
Peacehammer wrote:If trading goes before attacking this turn, does anyone have an attack which is powerful enough to warrant throwing away a weapon / a weapon / spell not good enough to keep?
Too late for trading,

Boo.
Peacehammer wrote:Well, there is the bullwhip which basically allows 1 re-roll, while useful I am not sure if it is better than a whole turn's attack from someone, and the 'Mists of Releh' can be ditched. Mandy has an enchanted knife (+3), a pistol (+3) as well as shrivelling, so might be worth giving up one of the one handed items - just a case of who it goes to.

If I pass the lore check then I can kick out 13 dice, Rex reliably kicks out 12 dice, Michael reliably puts out 12, Mandy also puts out 12 with a successful lore check - and is also blessed.
Of the above then, Mandy has plenty of items to choose from, so it looks like she can chuck / attack.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Unfortunately, I don't think [b]Luke[/b] can attack, as the card says you [i]must[/i] discard a Weapon or Spell in order to do so. It makes no difference whether you have nothing to discard or choose not to do so. I'll ditch Mists of Releh, as it's otherwise useless. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3646681/]Spell check (Lore 4 -1 [Shrivelling] +1 [Time Stands Still] = 4 dice), casting Shrivelling, Round 2 (4d6.hits(4)=3)[/url]. [b]Mandy[/b] loses 1 Sanity from the Spell. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3646683/]Combat check (Fight 3 +6 [Shrivelling] +3 [Enchanted Knife] - 1 [Yibb-Tstll] = 11 dice) attacking Yibb-Tstll (6s count as 2 successes, 1s count as -1), Round 2 (11d6.hits(4)=7)[/url]. That adds up to 8 successes, including two 1s and three 6s. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3646684/]Using Research to reroll failed dice attacking Yibb-Tstll, Round 2 (4d6.hits(4)=3)[/url]. One of the 1s is canceled, and I add five more hits on top of it, for a total of 14 so far. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3646685/]Using Bullwhip to reroll the 1, Round 2 (1d6.hits(4)=1)[/url]. Canceled the last 1 and got an additional success, so 16 damage. :shock: Tacked onto the 32 from Round 1, that gives us 48/110 hits. Dare I hope?
Final Battle Round 2, Investigators Attack

The sight of the monstrosity disturbs Mandy, and she forgets the new spell that the strange man with the dreamlike expression just taught her. She presses her attack regardless, as she still has the rest of her arcane knowledge and her deadly weapons. This attack is even more destructive than her first effort, and she sees the enormous creature begin to falter, but it is far from beaten. She does not even notice that her companions have not joined her this time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mandy Thompson: a lone woman, Research lovin', Bullwhip cracking, Ancient One destroying, etc. etc.

Mr. Handy wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think Luke can attack, as the card says you must discard a Weapon or Spell in order to do so. It makes no difference whether you have nothing to discard or choose not to do so.
Okay, he only got 1 success anyhow.

Carolyn could discard the Dread Curse and use the Tommy Gun instead? . . . I think that there is a fine line between conserving items and scoring successes.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Tabs wrote:Carolyn could discard the Dread Curse and use the Tommy Gun instead? . . . I think that there is a fine line between conserving items and scoring successes.
I think that it depends on how many attacks I am likely to get. Lets work it out:
Spoiler:
I will be first player in 4 turns, at which point I will have a 1 in 3 chance of surviving. (Focus 2, -1 for the penalty).

So, probably 4 attacks.

I have 2 uses of the curse with the elder crystal, after that, I would solely be using the Tommy Gun. So at the end of 4 turns It will be:

1) 0 (This turn)
2) 12
3) 12
4) 9

Total: 33

Although I could cast the curse again on turn 4 using regular sanity, for a total of 36, but it is less reliable.

Just using Tommy gun (fight 4+6-1):

1) 9
2) 9
3) 9
4) 9

Total: 36
I guess I can discard the curse, give the crystal to Mandy next turn, and fire away.

SANITY 4/6
STAMINA 3/4

SPEED/SNEAK 3/0
FIGHT/WILL 4/1
LORE/LUCK 5/2

Attack - throw away Dread Curse, attack with Tommy Gun.

Fight 4, +6 for Tommy gun, -1 = 9.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3646999/
9d6 → [6,4,2,2,1,4,3,6,3] = 4-1 = net 3 successes

After casting the last spell, alien thoughts started assaulting Carolyn, "what are humans?", "why should Azathoth curse an ancient being such as Yibb-Tstll?", "who are these ants which seek to stop the rise of Yibb-Tstll?", "what is grapefruit?"...

These curious thoughts swirling around made her realise what unnatural forces we were all playing with, this Dread curse could be no good for humanity, discarding it instantly made her feel better and clutching the cold iron of the Tommy gun fired off into the pulpy mass of Yibb-Tstll.

Watching the other people who had come forward to confont this horror, Carolyn realised that they were all undergoing this same confusion, only Mandy seemed to be able to shake it off.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

That's 51/110 hits, almost halfway at the end of Round 2. Just so you know, there are a max of 16 rounds, and after 8 rounds the battle will get even harder. :D

R2 Yibby attacks Luke (1d6=4)--the end.

The monster lurches towards Luke; he knows his time is up, just knows. He wishes he hadn't eaten that curried turtle last night because the contents of his intestine are liquefying, and dribbling down his colon. Partly to hide any shitty smell he charges Yibb-Tstll--and trips--face-planting into the belly of the beast. As Luke's brain is melting he thanks the good gods that he is wearing sturdy briefs.

Okay, Round 3: (i) Upkeep (ii) first player changes [Michael] (iii) trading.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Tabs wrote:That's 51/110 hits, almost halfway at the end of Round 2. Just so you know, there are a max of 16 rounds, and after 8 rounds the battle will get even harder. :D
How does it get harder?

Tabs wrote:The monster lurches towards Luke; he knows his time is up, just knows. He wishes he hadn't eaten that curried turtle last night because the contents of his intestine are liquefying, and dribbling down his colon. Partly to hide any shitty smell he charges Yibb-Tstll--and trips--face-planting into the belly of the beast. As Luke's brain is melting he thanks the good gods that he is wearing sturdy briefs.
Alas poor Luke, brought down by poor food choices and an ancient horror.

We will remember him in our dreams / nightmares.

Also, we all have to take 1 point of sanity or stamina damage from someone being devoured.

SANITY 4/6
STAMINA 2/4

SPEED/SNEAK 3/0
FIGHT/WILL 4/1
LORE/LUCK 5/2

Upkeep: none for me as important stats are at max.

Healing sanity: Looking over the investigators, Rex is on 1 san, is it worth giving him a point by Carolyn's ability in case there is another sanity penalty thing?

Also, give crystal of the elder things to Mandy. Has 2 charges left, so you can cast 2 spells for no sanity cost.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yeah, [b]Mandy[/b] sure is awesome! :D [b]Mandy[/b] loses 1 Stamina for [b]Luke[/b]'s death. If there is another Sanity penalty (I'm not familiar with the Epic Battle cards), [b]Mandy[/b] needs that point more. She's only at 2 right now, and losing her chance to attack will hurt us more. Everyone should have a +6 weapon, even [b]Michael[/b]. As it stands, we have a +8 and three +6 attacks that are not Spells and can be used every turn (Brazier, Tommy Gun, Sword of Glory, and Enchanted Knife/.38 Revolver). Even if the first player is devoured, we wouldn't be able to use the extra weapon anyway. Might as well get in those last licks. The red cards are much, much worse, I hear, though I've probably never lasted long enough for them to appear. One of them ends the game immediately with our defeat. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3648075/]Roll to keep Blessing (on anything but a 1), Round 3 (1d6.hits(2)=1)[/url]. No changes.
Final Battle Round 3, Investigators Refresh

Mandy watches in shock as Luke is devoured, and she winces in pain. She prepares to unleash more of her fury on Yibb-Tstll.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 5 - Kingsport Horror”