Kingsport Horror (ic)

In the sleepy town of Kingsport, unspeakable horror hides awaiting its time. Not only does Tulzscha run rampant, but it also blazes a trail for Yibb-Tstll. Five ordinary people from various walks of life will try to prevent it from destroying all they hold dear. Will they succeed?

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Kingsport Horror (ic)

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Mandy[/b] loses 1 Sanity, leaving her with four.
Turn 2 Other World Encounter, Great Hall of Celeano (1st area)

The man walks away from Mandy without a word. "How rude," she says, glancing backwards. To her surprise, she sees the same man in the distance in that direction, walking towards her. She does a double take, then shudders, shaking her head. "But...that's impossible!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by ProfToff »

luck 3-1 = 2 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3585892/ bugger nil
Carolyn's research ability = 2 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3586175/ 1 success is enough for me
clue 1 = roll http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3585893/ last chance
clue 2, down to 1 = roll http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3585894/ bring on the monster

if this costs more than 2 San thats me LiTaS Thank feck, just delayed then.

The book was lying nondescriptly in the middle of the floor. Even though Rex knew he should carry on searching for an exit to the real world his reporter's curiosity was piqued and he couldn't resist a look. As he scanned the pages whispering noises seemed to emerge from the shadows around the ancient columns and he felt a sense of impending doom creeping over him. It ws only then that he remembered the words of hot but far to prim's shrink he had once had a session with, "there is no harm in skipping to the end."

Upon doing this the sense of impending doom retreated and he felt that he could review the endnotes at his leisure. Unfortunately there was nothng of note in them.
Last edited by ProfToff on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Turn 2, Other World Encounter, The Dreamlands
"We claim this as our own," . . . http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/File%3AGate104.png
Spell: Flesh Ward: Lore[4] -2 =vs. Stamina loss from ghouls (1d6=3, 1d6=4) --shit! add the Sanity Cost and that's a loss of 2 Sanity and 2 Stamina. Oh, God! I'm gonna spend a Clue: vs. ghouls (1=) --say no more. Hang on, I rolled 1d1, right, I'll try once again: vs. ghouls (1d6=5) --yes, yes, ye-es.

The turquoise hills are spotted with burrows. Luke walks past a lilac mulberry bush, infested by caterpillars, and halts just beyond it, he has seen that bush before: he is thoroughly lost. The ground trembles, Luke imagines a locomotive is approaching him, only it is still miles away. Out from the burrows gallop a host of quadrupeds, like tattered naked apes; the creatures form a circle round Luke. A giant among the ghouls steps towards him.

"We claim this as our own, or we shall pain you greatly."

Luke does not have anything to offer. The ghoul slices at Luke's side with dirty horn-like fingernails; the host titter and retreat; the injured "Dreamer" slumps to the earth, utterly dismayed.

Luke remembers a "healing" parchment, long forgotten, tucked away in the folds of his gown. With unexpected hope he reads the words aloud . . . and nothing happens, nothing at all.

"Oh, Jesus, f---, . . ."

And the magic works.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 2, Mythos: All Quiet in Arkham!
Gate: Unknown Kadath at Woods.
Doom token added to doom track (3).
Monsters: Yithian: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Yithian Ghost: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Ghost
Movement: Yithian -> Uptown
Clue Appears At: Historical Society [it falls to Michael McGlen]

Each player may pass a Luck (-1) check to be Blessed.

Rift progress marker--Hall School (white hex.; black slash, triangle and star).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3588561/]Luck(-1) check (Luck 3 - 1 = 2 dice) to be Blessed (2d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. D'oh! And I can't even use Research since this technically happened in Turn 2's Mythos phase. No changes.
Turn 3 Upkeep, Great Hall of Celeano (1st area)

Mandy hurries through the stacks, determined to find a way back home.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 2, Mythos
Auto fail the Luck check.
Turn 3, Upkeep
No changes.
Movement
-> (2nd area) The Dreamlands. Gain 1 Clue--"Experienced Dreamer" ability.
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Upkeep
Lore up 2 - 5/1
Bless roll - Luck 3 -1 = 2 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3588902/ 1 success

Assuming the Bless roll was part of the Mythos condition, not sure I've seen it before. 2 questions...
1. Does it affect me in the Otherworld?
2. If so does it remove my curse?

Movement
I believe I am back in Arkham this turn
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Rolled 4, 6 - Blessed! - Huzzah.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3589264/

Turn 3 upkeep -

+1 to sanity

SANITY 5/6
STAMINA 1/4

Movement -> to train station. Don't have any movement left, so I will have to have an encounter there.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Rex[/b] needs to say which Gate in Arkham he's using to return. With his Curse gone, he may be able to handle the monsters around the Black Cave, though his Sanity is dangerously low (and will drop to 1 after he uses the Elder Sign). Independence Square is closer to the Asylum, though. I can probably beat the Star Spawn if I have to, but I'll probably need someone else to take care of the monster in the street. [b]Rex[/b] does not need to encounter any monsters on the turn he returns, and he can use the Elder Sign in the Arkham Encounters phase. However, any monsters would still need to be dealt with next turn.
Turn 3 Movement, Great Hall of Celeano (1st area)->Great Hall of Celeano (2nd area)

Mandy makes her way through the bizarre, alien library.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Movement
Return to Independence Square

Encounters
Close and seal the Gate
BlackSmoke
Layman
Layman

Post by BlackSmoke »

Turn 3, Upkeep, Historical Society
Slide Fight/Will to 4/3

Turn 3, Arkham Movement
Historical Society -> Southside -> Uptown
Fight Yithian

Horror check (Will 3 + 1 - 1) = 2 successes http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3591112/

Fight check (Fight 4 + 6 Tommy Gun - 2) = 4 successes http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3591113/

Take Yithian as monster trophy!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3591424/]Luck(-1) check (Luck 3 - 1 = 2 dice) drinking water in Celeano (2d6.hits(5)=1)[/url]. No effect.
Turn 3 Other World Encounter, Great Hall of Celeano (2nd area)

As Mandy makes her way through the alien library, she realizes how thirsty she is getting. Spotting a fountain in the distance, she disregards caution and rushes over to it, drinking her fill. Fortunately, it does not harm her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

SANITY 5/6
STAMINA 1/4

Turn 3 encounter -

Carolyn rushed up to the train station just in time to see the next train to Kingsport leave. There were odd things happening out there, and she needed to be a part of it, and now was going to have to wait. Annoyed with herself, she paced around the station.

After a while a shifty looking man approached her.

"All right darling" he said.
Peering over her spectacles, Carolyn said "I don't think that is an appropriate manner of address. If you dont leave now, I shall call the porter"
"No need to do that. My name is Joey, I just thought that you might like some help"
"I am a fully qualified psychologist, working on special psychiatric cases using the latest techniques, I can't see what kind of help you can give me."
"Oh, I don't know. I heard that you were interested in the odd things happening recently. I have something which might interest you." Saying that, he pulled a sheaf of papers out of his coat, and handed just the top sheet over to Carolyn. She took it reluctantly, and started scanning it. Her eyes widened as she read the document.
"Where did you get this?"
"Don't ask, don't tell, that is my motto." he said with a crooked smile. "These interesting docs are yours for the sum of $2."
"$2 for some papers you 'found'?" she asked with scorn.
Drawing closer he said "Well you can have them for less if you give me a kiss" and he puckered up.
Taking out $2 from her purse, she poked the money into his open mouth, snatched the other papers, and said "$2 it is then". She walked off and found a quiet place to read.

Bought research materials for $2.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 3, Other World Encounter, Dreamlands (Other) [MH/KH]
Magic seems to inherently manipulate your environment in unpredictable ways. If you have 3 or more Spells . . . (Luke has 2 Spells.)
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Moving on through the gloomy hall Rex comes around a pillar and is temporarily blinded by a sudden light. When his eyes become accustomed to it he finds that he is stood under one of the gas lamps lighting the doorway of the Town Hall, which has a swirling mass of vapours obscuring it. Rex feels a unearthly pull bck towards the miasma , and strange shapes appear and dissolve in its morass. Pulled by both the madness that the scene threatens and the physical urge to leap into it Rex feels an object in his pocket and pulls out the strange amulet he was passed by the flute playing lady. He hurls it into the mists and with sudden burst of howliing wind the mists evaporate. Left mentally drained by the recent events Rex determines that it may just be time to find some repose somewhere.
Last edited by ProfToff on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Elder Sign removes 1 doom token.
Turn 3
Gate: Another Dimension
Doom token added to doom track (3).
Monsters: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Cultist http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Formless_Spawn
Movement: Crawling One -> Easttown
Rift progress marker--Congregational Hospital (white sq. and diamond; black circle).
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Doing my Upkeep/Move/Encounter now as with 1 San I have very few options and will not be changing my mind!! Also save me sneaking into the kids bedrooom to use my Netbook later.

Upkeep(Focus 2)
Luck up 2
Speed/Sneak: 3/3 (4/5)
Fight/Will : 3/1 (4/3)
Lore/Luck : 3/3 (5/4)

Movement
Downtown>>Asylum

Encounter
Pay $2 to restore San to 5

It was with some relief that Rex lay on his favourite shrinks couch and poured out everything that he had seen, heard and met over the last couple of days.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

SANITY 6/6
STAMINA 2/4

Turn 4 upkeep - regenerate 1 Sanity.

Turn 4 Movement: Pay $1 to take train to Central hill, then on to Congregational Hospital and pay $1 to heal 1 stamina (Already at max Sanity), which removes the rift marker from this.

During the course of her treatment for the wounds suffered, the doctor in charge left a door to the medicine cabinet open. While only a small thing, the open cupboard seemed to be open to so much more, like a portal to another world, rather than a selection of drugs and band-aids.

Carolyn drew her nerves together and made a decision, fighting the malign influence of the sterile cupboard, she got up and shut the cabinet door.

There was a disturbance in the floors, for a moment it sounded like a million bandages in the cupboard cried out and were silenced, and then a pressure which had been building slowly released.
Last edited by Peacehammer on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Increase Lore from 1 to 3. Decrease Luck from 3 to 1.
Turn 4 Upkeep, Great Hall of Celeano (2nd area)

Mandy prepares herself to find a way home and then somehow close this gateway behind her. She knows from her investigations that portals between dimensions such as the one that brought her here are weakening the fabric of the universe and making it possible for Yibb-Tstll to eventually enter the world she knows and loves.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 4, Upkeep, Movement & Encounter
Fight to 1, Will up to 6. Use Gate Box to return to Woods; fight Ghost. No encounter.
Horror check: 6 -2 =Horror check vs. Ghost (1d6=4, 1d6=2, 1d6=6, 1d6=1) ; Combat check: 1 +6 -3 =Combat check vs. Ghost (1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=4, 1d6=2) exhaust "Marksman" Skill 2nd Combat check vs. Ghost (1d6=6, 1d6=3, 1d6=2, 1d6=3) --phew!

Luke Robinson feels giddy and confused; he stumbles over a tree root and then collapses, his back to a rotten oak.

Someone approaches him; it is Miss Annabeth from the day nursery at Woolcott Grange--his family home, her mother was Luke's wet nurse. Miss Annabeth--still seventeen years old after thirty years--is wearing a pinafore and lace cap.

"Lukey, you are tired--yet again! And look at the time"--she produces a watch from the fob pocket at the top of her uniform--"it is only six o'clock."

Maybe the associations, maybe his state of mind, maybe . . . whatever, Luke stares at Miss Annabeth's chest for an inordinately, an embarrassingly long time--he can almost detect the curve of her breasts beneath the thin stuff of her uniform. He snaps his betraying eyes away, and looks up into Miss Annabeth's eyes: Luke is shocked by his own reckless vulgarity.

"I-I'm sorry, Miss Annabeth, I'm not myself today."

She returns Luke's gaze, aloof, almost with pity.

"Lukey, you don't need to apologise; I know what men are like, at least, I will find out. . . ."

"I always thought I could control-- thought I understood-- empathy--"

"Empathy? What, with women? but you're a man!"

Luke Robinson crumples, a bit more, against the tree, and whispers:

"Shit."

He remembers the bag of lozenges. Childlike, he pulls a sweet out of the paper bag, and pops it into Miss Annabeth's mouth, as if it can make everything all right. Luke hears the lozenge drop to the forest floor and roll away amongst the dead leaves. . . .

Return to “Episode 5 - Kingsport Horror”