Kingsport Horror (ic)

In the sleepy town of Kingsport, unspeakable horror hides awaiting its time. Not only does Tulzscha run rampant, but it also blazes a trail for Yibb-Tstll. Five ordinary people from various walks of life will try to prevent it from destroying all they hold dear. Will they succeed?

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Kingsport Horror (ic)

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer wrote:
Tabs wrote:That's 51/110 hits, almost halfway at the end of Round 2. Just so you know, there are a max of 16 rounds, and after 8 rounds the battle will get even harder. :D
How does it get harder?
I'm unsure myself, but see Mr. Handy's comment. I remember that one of the "easier" Epic Battle card reads "only investigators attack."
Also, we all have to take 1 point of sanity or stamina damage from someone being devoured.
Good point. Michael takes 1 Stamina damage, but reduces this to 0 due to his "Strong Body" ability.
Mr. Handy wrote: If there is another Sanity penalty (I'm not familiar with the Epic Battle cards), Mandy needs that point more. She's only at 2 right now, and losing her chance to attack will hurt us more.
He's usually right, you know. :)

No changes. He hands the Gate Box to Rex.

Michael winces when the Dreamer dives head first into Yibb-Tstll. The montser seems to belch, as if it's digesting something unpleasant, and, like a whales blow hole, expels a fine mist, strangely brown in colour.
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by ProfToff »

Items: Brazier, Dark Cloak, Necronomicon, gate box??

GOO attack FB2
Lose 1 Stam

Upkeep FB3(Focus 2)
No change, heal 1 San!?

Rex cries out in horror as the man in the bathrobe rushes the monstrosity and is gone in an instant. The stakes were getting higher but at least the beast was showing some signs of damage.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer wrote: Healing sanity: Looking over the investigators, Rex is on 1 san, is it worth giving him a point by Carolyn's ability in case there is another sanity penalty thing?
Rex or Mandy, the choice is yours.

Round 3
R3 vs. Yibby 6 +6 -1 (1d6=4, 1d6=1, 1d6=1, 1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=6, 1d6=4, 1d6=4, 1d6=5, 1d6=1, 1d6=6), hmmm, so 6s become 5s: 2 successes, and (Battle Condition) 6s +1, 1s -1: 2 -3 = net 1 success. Did you follow that? Is it correct?
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Investigator Attack FB3(Focus 2)
Fight 4 + Skill 1 + Brazier 8 = 13 - 1 = 12

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3648694/
12d6.hits(6) → [3,3,1,2,3,6,5,5,4,5,2,5] = (1)

Balls, 1 hit cancelled by a 1 for big fat zero! That battle card cancelled out 4 hits there :cry:

The coals in the brazier seemed to have become impervious to the matches Rex was striking and he watched with growing terror as all the efforts of the investigators seemed to come to naught.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

So, I had a look at the different Epic Battle cards. Not too many of them relate to sanity, so it doesn't make much difference. Because Mandy is casting spells, I guess I will 'sanitize' Mandy again.

SANITY 4/6
STAMINA 2/4

SPEED/SNEAK 3/0
FIGHT/WILL 4/1
LORE/LUCK 5/2

Shoot the monster:

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3648727/
9d6 → [3,1,6,5,5,6,6,3,6] = Net 3 hits (Would have been 9 though :( )

Building up her resolve, Carolyn pointed the Tommy gun in the general direction of the abomination and pulled the trigger sending a hail of bullets thudding into the central mass. It roared, probably more with anger than pain and lumbered on.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Michael[/b] missed completely. He got three 1s, which more than cancel out the two 6s. Thanks for the Crystal, and for the Sanity point! That will help keep me going even after the Crystal is gone. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3649024/]Spell check (Lore 4 -1 [Shrivelling] +1 [Time Stands Still] = 4 dice), casting Shrivelling, Round 3 (4d6.hits(4)=2)[/url]. I forgot that Taint of Evil affects this too, but I still succeeded thanks to my Blessing (the 5 is reduced to a 4). Another Clue token is placed on Crystal of the Elder Things. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3649029/]Combat check (Fight 3 +6 [Shrivelling] +3 [Enchanted Knife] - 1 [Yibb-Tstll] = 11 dice) attacking Yibb-Tstll (all dice -1 this round, 1s and 2s count as -1 success), Round 3 (11d6.hits(5)=6)[/url] That would have been 10, but I still got 2 successes on the initial roll alone. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3649034/]Using Research to reroll failed dice attacking Yibb-Tstll, Round 3 (5d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. Two of the -1 success rolls are canceled, for a total of 4 hits so far. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3649035/]Using Bullwhip to reroll the 1, Round 3 (1d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. No further improvement. Added to the 51 from the first two rounds and [b]Carolyn[/b]'s 3, that gives us 58/110 hits. We're more than halfway there, but things are going to get much harder from here on out with less of us in the fight.
Final Battle Round 3, Investigators Attack

Mandy finds her faith shaken as she presses her attack, and it is far less effective than it has been up until now. But she refuses to give up, and she is determined to avenge Luke and save the world.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy wrote:Michael missed completely. He got three 1s, which more than cancel out the two 6s.
R3 vs. Yibby 6 +6 -1 (1d6=4, 1d6=1, 1d6=1, 1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=6, 1d6=4, 1d6=4, 1d6=5, 1d6=1, 1d6=6)
Hang on! Michael scored 4 successes: 2 x 6s (which become 5s) + 2 for each "6" an investigator rolls (not including any bonuses or penalties)--and the -1 to each die because of "Taint of Evil" is a penalty; take away 3 for the 1s =1 success.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Oh, I hadn't realized that. It's been a while since I saw the text of the card. That certainly changes things for the better. [b]Michael[/b] got one hit, then. [b]Rex[/b] got one as well, [b]Carolyn[/b] scored seven, and [b]Mandy[/b] got a whopping eleven! We're now at 71/110, which is much better. I think we may actually win this one! Unfortunately, [b]Michael[/b] needs a 6 this round to avoid being devoured. :cry:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Round 3
Yibb-Tstll attacks: R3 Yibby attacks (1d6=5)--close, but not close enough.

The Ancient One lunges at Michael, with suckers, pseudopods and all sorts of weird appendages flying at him; screaming an unholy din as it does so--the thing has obviously been hurt. He deftly dodges Yibb-Tstll's attack, and laughs heartily when it retreats.

"Is that all you got? you fu**er!"

His toes begin to sting; Michael looks down to see a tar-like, gloopy substance caking one of his boots. His foot ignites, within a moment he is consumed by atomic blue flames: The Gangster is consumed utterly.

Round 4: (i) Upkeep (ii) first player changes [Mandy] (iii) trading.
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Spoiler:
Tabs wrote: Hang on! Michael scored 4 successes: 2 x 6s (which become 5s) + 2 for each "6" an investigator rolls (not including any bonuses or penalties)
In that case I scored 1 success then!

Also wondering why Mike needed 6 not 5, was he cursed?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Mandy[/b] loses 1 Stamina for [b]Michael[/b]'s death. Taint of Evil affects every roll, including the Focus roll for when Yibby attacks. That 5 became a 4, which fails unless you have a Blessing. I already factored in all of our successes in the last round in the total in my previous post. We've done 71/110 damage so far.
Final Battle Round 3, Ancient One Attacks

"NO!!!" screams Mandy when Michael is consumed, wincing again. She whirls on Yibb-Tstll. "Leave my friends alone! If you want to fight someone, try me!" To her horror, the monstrosity lumbers towards her, and she swallows. "Oh, dear..."
OOC,I kept my Blessing, so I have a 75% chance to survive this round. It may pay for me to keep most of my stuff and inflict as much damage as I can even if it does turn out to be my last chance, though I'll hand the .38 Revolver off to someone else just in case. I'll use the Research Materials this round. If I don't need it to cast Shrivelling, I'll use it on my attack. The Crystal will be used up this round. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3650892/]Roll to keep Blessing (on anything but a 1), Round 4 (1d6.hits(2)=1)[/url]. No changes.
Final Battle Round 4, Investigators Refresh

Mandy advances to meet Yibb-Tstll, determined to bring it down or die in the attempt.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I forgot--again--about the 1 Stamina or 1 Sanity loss for each investigator (when Michael was devoured). .38 revolver is up for grabs, and Carolyn can heal 1 Sanity.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

SANITY 3/6
STAMINA 2/4

SPEED/SNEAK 3/0
FIGHT/WILL 4/1
LORE/LUCK 5/2

Lose 1 Sanity from Michael's death.

Sanitising - If I give Rex a point, then wait to see whether Mandy survives.

A tear rolled down Carolyn's face as she saw Michael dissolve into a flash. Bringing up his old Tommy Gun and pointed it at the horror, "This one is for Michael" pulling the trigger, Carolyn let out a hail of bullets.
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Al do you want the .38 or one of my items instead?

Items: Brazier, Dark Cloak, Necronomicon, gate box

Upkeep FB4(Focus 2)
No change, +1 San

Sanity: 3
Stamina: 2

Rex shook his head in disbelief. One minute the guy in the trenchcoat had been stood there, the next he was gone. With only 2 compatriots left things were getting desperate, if only he could get his brazier to light.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

ProfToff wrote:Al do you want the .38 or one of my items instead?

Items: Brazier, Dark Cloak, Necronomicon, gate box
Hmm, the Necronomicon might be interesting, does anyone think that it is worth using that to get another spell or is it a little late at this stage?

You keep the Brazier, and I already have a dark cloak. Not sure the gate box is useful at this point.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer wrote:Hmm, the Necronomicon might be interesting, does anyone think that it is worth using that to get another spell or is it a little late at this stage?
It's too late to be of use for Spells, but their may be a "discard Unique Item" Epic Battle card. . . .

Photobucket is undergoing maintenance, so I cannot post the cards, basically a Sinister Plot card was drawn, "Outmaneuvered," Yibby attacks as normal, the investigators do not attack.
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Peacehammer wrote:Hmm, the Necronomicon might be interesting, does anyone think that it is worth using that to get another spell or is it a little late at this stage?
Take the Necronomicon Al, it can't be used as you need Move points. However I have Uniques comin outta m'arse.
Tabs wrote: Photobucket is undergoing maintenance, so I cannot post the cards, basically a Sinister Plot card was drawn, "Outmaneuvered," Yibby attacks as normal, the investigators do not attack.
Bugger, that has probably screwed us!!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3652581/]Focus roll to avoid Yibb-Tstll's attack, Round 4 (2d6.hits(4)=1)[/url]. Woot! [b]Mandy[/b] lives! :D I think we can beat this thing now. I'll be around for at least three more rounds, which should be enough. I could use the Sanity point next round, and I'll also take back the .38 then.
Final Battle Round 4, Ancient One Attacks

As Mandy is about to unleash her attack, Yibb-Tstll seems to melt into the ground. "Yeah, you better run!" she shouts. Some instinct causes her to look back over her shoulder, where she sees the hulking monster looming over her and about to engulf her. With a terrified shriek, she barely leaps and rolls out of the way.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Round 5: (i) Upkeep (ii) first player changes [Carolyn] (iii) trading.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

SANITY 3/6
STAMINA 2/4

SPEED/SNEAK 3/0
FIGHT/WILL 4/1
LORE/LUCK 5/2

Upkeep

Sanitising - Give Mandy a point

Trade - if I am first player, if I give away my dark cloak and the neconomicon (if it has been given to me) but keep the Tommy gun.

There was a change in the air, something made Carolyn hold back, looking over the remaining survivors, Rex was holding up with his box of matches and curiously effective brazier, and Mandy managed to dodge a sudden attack from Yibb-Tstll. Shouting some words of encouragement, Carolyn felt a pricking in the back of her neck.

Yibb-Tstll was coming for her.

Return to “Episode 5 - Kingsport Horror”