Page 1 of 1

Arkham Horror chat (ooc)

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:01 pm
by Tabs
Hello to BlackSmoke and Protoff, and, of course, Mr. Handy; so that's 4 players (including myself). I know we all make regular posts, however, if you can't post for a few days please say so in this topic. Mr. Handy will be away July 4-8.

I want the game played as per the rulebook, and as if we are sat at a table together. Any questions, please ask!

First off, let's discuss expansions. I was thinking only components from Arkham Horror + Kingsport (incl. Herald) + Miskatonic (incl. Institution), but any official Investigator + Personal Story.

Re: Arkham Horror chat (ooc)

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:07 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! That sounds like a good combination of expansions to use. We haven't tried Kingsport yet, and Miskatonic adds good things to any expansion.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:09 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, BlackSmoke and ProfToff cannot post into this topic . . . please, can you do the necessary security permission, whatever. They both registered yesterday.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
All new users need to be added to the Validated Users group before they can post outside of the welcome and recruitment areas. You can actually do it yourself as a Keeper, but instructions haven't been posted yet. I've gone ahead and validated them, so they should be able to post now.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:14 pm
by Tabs
Thanks for doing that, Mr. Handy.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:24 pm
by ProfToff
Hi all and thanks Mr Handy.
Sounds interesting, never played with a Herald before and haven't got Miskatonic so not seen any of those cards yet. I will assume that they are up on the Wiki.

As far as Investigator goes I'll stick with Kingsport and try Rex Murphy. Not seen him played before and he looks quite interesting.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:41 pm
by BlackSmoke
Hey folks!

Like Profftof I don't have Miskatonic and I don't actually have Kingsport either, though I have played it once. I'd need to get a hold of a good image of the board if anyone has any links.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:50 pm
by Tabs
There will be a separate board topic, with piccy, that I shall update each turn.

Rex Murphy starts the game Cursed, doesn't he? :roll: Anyway, we can go ahead and choose our investigators. Tomorrow, I'll start an "Investigator" topic.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:25 pm
by ProfToff
Tabs wrote:Rex Murphy starts the game Cursed, doesn't he? :roll:
lol yep. But soon as he trades 10clues in @Newspaper he gets Blessed. And he automatically gets an extra clue whenever he picks one up so the way I'm seeing it I just need to pick up 2 singles and a double, and keep the 3 I start with to get back in the game.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has played Rex before and found it hampered the investigators progress.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome, and welcome ProfToff and BlackSmoke!

I'll pick a random investigator from those that come with the base game and with Kingsport, except for those that have already been chosen. I don't have time to dig out the game and do this tonight, but I may have a chance on Tuesday night.

I don't know anything about Rex Murphy. I always play with random investigators, and I only read their character sheets when I happen to pick them.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:41 am
by Tabs
ProfToff wrote:I am open to suggestions if anyone has played Rex before and found it hampered the investigators progress.
No need! Here's Rex:

I'm a bit rushed this morning, especially because my cat just ran past with a rabbit in its mouth . . .

I choose Luke Robinson. Mr. Handy, I can pick a random investigator, if you like; BlackSmoke, choose one or random?

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:10 pm
by Tabs
http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com is a fantastic resource. Rex Murphy's Personal Story: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Rex_Murphy

After I post your investigator sheet in this topic, right-click on the picture, "Copy Image Location," and Reply in the "Investigator" topic; you'll need to type [img]&[/img].

[img]***http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu12 ... 23/Rex.jpg***[/img]

You will be responsible for updating your own investigator sheet.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:50 pm
by ProfToff
Can I keep my record a la the BGG PBF?

Status
Sanity 5(5) --- Stamina 5(5) --- ImageImageImage --- Cash $3

Upkeep
n/a

Sliders (Focus 2)
Speed/Sneak: 2/4
Fight/Will : 2/2
Lore/Luck : 3/3

Inventory
Common:
Unique:
Spells:
Skills:
Allies:
Trophies:
Gate Trophy:
Special: Extra clue token

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, you can pick a random investigator for me from the combined set from Arkham and Kingsport if I don't get to it by the time you're ready.

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:06 am
by Tabs
ProfToff wrote:Can I keep my record a la the BGG PBF?
Yes, no problem. Is your friend joining us?

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:15 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, an old favourite:

Personal Story: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Mandy_Thompson

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:48 am
by BlackSmoke
I think I'd like to take an old favourite of mine as the street cleaner - Michael McGlen!

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:07 am
by Tabs
ProfToff, Rex's Curse: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Curse

BlachSmoke, my photobucket account is playing up, but here are Michael's Personal Story and Fixed Possessions:

Personal Story: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Michael_McGlen
Dynamite: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Dynamite
Tommy Gun: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Tommy_Gun

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:23 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:30 pm
by Tabs
I'm almost ready to start the game. Tomorrow I'll reveal the Ancient One, Herald and Institution; hand out random possessions; and we can all finish Investigator Setup.

ProfToff and BlackSmoke, please reply in the "Investigator" topic.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 am
by Tabs

I don't understand the meaning of "The Sky is considered . . . "--2nd paragraph--flying Cultists?

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:53 am
by BlackSmoke
I'm pretty sure there is an AO that makes cultists into flying monsters by having them ride Nightgaunts. In this case, though, it's irrelevant.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:23 am
by Tabs
Ah! So my facetious "flying Cultists" comment was correct.

Luke Robinson
Sword of Glory
Mists of Releh
Flesh Ward
Marksman

Michael McGlen
Obsidian Statue
Persuade (KH)

Mandy Thompson
Bullwhip
Dark Cloak
Enchanted Knife
Speed

Rex Murphy
Dark Cloak
Brazier of Souls (KH)
Holy Water
Shrivelling
Dread Curse of Azathoth
Fight

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:59 pm
by BlackSmoke
I checked. It's Hastur and they fly Byakhee.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:31 pm
by Peacehammer
Hi, is it too late to register interest?

I was invited by ProfToff as we have met IRL.

I have played this game a few times as a board game, but not on a forum, so please be patient while I pick up the forum etiquette. Is there somewhere I can read up on the forum rules for playing these games, like how do we handle distribution of random starting equipment / getting encounters / dice rolling / keeping track of stats etc?

In any case, to register my interest, I would like to be Carolyn Fern The Psychologist:

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Carolyn_Fern

Not one of the hardcore ones but she is quite useful, and her personal story means a lot of clues and a blessing. I was going to be Darrell Simmons the photographer so as we have a reporter as well this apocalypse would have had great media coverage!

Home: Arkham Asylum

Unique Ability: Psychology - Upkeep: Dr. Fern may restore 1 Sanity to herself or another character in her location. She cannot raise a character's Sanity higher than that character's maximum Sanity.

Status

Sanity: 6
Stamina: 4

Fixed Possessions

$7
1 Clue token

Random Possessions

2 Unique items
2 Common items
1 Skill

Focus: 2
Skills
Speed 0 1 2 3
Sneak 3 2 1 0
Fight 1 2 3 4
Will 4 3 2 1
Lore 2 3 4 5
Luck 5 4 3 2

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:24 pm
by Tabs
Peacehammer, you are welcome to join, but consider that this game will last a few months and you need to check this game most days to see if it is your turn. What do you think? . . . :)

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:15 pm
by Peacehammer
Hey Tabs,

I appreciate the concern, however I have given a month notice in where I work, and have constant Internet connection so I am not exactly motivated to be 100% productive, I am planning on being unemployed for a month or two after that so I don't think that lack of time on here is going to be an issue!

Note; it's not because I am workshy or lazy, it's just I think have just been in this line of work for too long and it is getting boring, so I have decided to go back to college and then on to Uni.

Being mostly self employed, I haven't had a holiday for about 5 years, and most of my weekends have been taken up with work as well, I decided that I deserved a bit of a break

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
Ouch, poor Rex Murphy! He can never complete his Personal Story now, and he'll need to get a Blessing some other way. Of course, it's now impossible for Carolyn Fern to fail hers.

Mandy's initial plan is to grab a Clue and then jump in an open Gate (preferably killing any monsters that come out of it; the initial Cultist too if possible). Sealing a Gate early will help us, but we need to keep those Cultists from popping the Elder Signs. Mandy should be good at hunting them down, at least.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:59 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer, I'm convinced! If you only knew how many Keepers and players disappear mid-game, you'd understand my paranoia; where's ProfToff, by the way?

Elder Sign--wahey!
Flute of the Outer Gods
Dynamite
Lucky Cigarette Case
Disguise

Mr. Handy wrote:Ouch, poor Rex Murphy!
Mr. Handy, I like your $s in the Investigator topic.

Everyone, I'll start the "Kingsport Horror (ic)" topic this evening. Player order will be: Tabs, BlackSmoke, Mr. Handy, Peacehammer and ProfToff. Post in player order; only post Turn 1, Phase 1: Upkeep; use a portrait at the beginning of your post (see the "Player Order" topic for portraits); write flavour text if you feel like it; ask questions; discuss tactics.
Mr. Handy wrote:Mandy's initial plan is to grab a Clue and then jump in an open Gate (preferably killing any monsters that come out of it; the initial Cultist too if possible). Sealing a Gate early will help us, but we need to keep those Cultists from popping the Elder Signs. Mandy should be good at hunting them down, at least.
Luke will "stand up" in the Dreamlands.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:14 pm
by Peacehammer
Ok, I think I have updated the investigators page correctly. I had a look at the other parts of the game and have a better idea of how this will be run now.

@Mr.Handy I wish I could say that I planned that but I didn't.

@Tabs I live in a different town to ProfToff, and I haven't spoken to him for a while, but I have prodded him on Facebook.

Tactics: before I saw that I had an elder sign in starting equipment (woohoo!) I was planning to try to get the cash to fulfil my personal story (which gives 3 clues and a blessing), I still might do that, it just depends on where the first gate opens up. If it is near, I might just hop in and close it.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 pm
by Peacehammer
Well, I have just seen the first post in the in character thread.

:roll:

There is a cultist and a vampire sitting on my doorstep outside the asylum. I could probably fight my way out using the one use items I have, but it seems a waste to do that on the first turn, so I think I will just sit tight for a turn and have an encounter in the asylum when it is my turn.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, Tabs! I found the images on the Arkham Horror wiki.

It's funny, but there was a severe hailstorm here tonight. :shock:

It's never a waste of time to clear the streets of monsters, especially when one of them is a Cultist, which can destroy Elder Signs. You won't be able to sneak past, as while the Cultist will leave you alone unless you specifically hunt it down, you'd still have to sneak past the Vampire. Either way, you'd have to pass a Sneak check, and your Sneak score is too low. However, I see how you can defeat both monsters with very little effort. You'll still need to pass a Horror check against the Vampire first, for which you want to maximize your Will, but then you can use the Flute of the Elder Gods to defeat both monsters! While you normally wouldn't be able to fight the Cultist, the Flute still affects it since it is in the same area.

There are two downsides to this. One is the -3 Stamina and -3 Sanity. The Sanity you can recover on your own, but the loss of Stamina is tougher. Using the Elder Sign later will result in you going unconscious, as it will cost your last Stamina point, unless you heal first. You'd also lose an Item thanks to the hailstorm (I'd pick the Lucky Cigarette Case). However, I think the benefits are worth it. You or someone else would then be able to access the Gate later. If you do this, make sure you hold onto the Cultist monster trophy for as long as possible. We don't want Cutlists going back into the monster cup, or we'll see them again.

It's a shame the monsters moved. Otherwise you could have destroyed all three with the Flute and entered the Gate on the first turn without getting caught in the hailstorm.

Waiting in the Asylum isn't a good move. There's only about a 1/3 chance the monsters will move again to let you leave, which means you'd probably be stuck for multiple turns unless someone else took out the Vampire, and you're best equipped to do it. Destroying the Cultist too is even better; most of us couldn't manage to find it, but the Flute makes it unnecessary. Sticking around in the Asylum won't help us win.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:40 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer, I agree with everything Mr. Handy says, however there is another factor: Carolyn's Disguise skill (exhaust to succeed at an Evade check). Maybe, if someone nabbed the Vampire, Carolyn could catch the Elusive Cultist . . . Of course, the doom clock is ticking.
Edit: Yibb-Tstll is all-seeing--difficulty of Evade checks increased by 1--bugger!

BlackSmoke, what are your plans for Michael?--he's too far away from Carolyn to help her, and the Vampire has Physical Resistance.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:56 am
by ProfToff
I don`t mean to sound churlish but there is no way I am going to play an entire game of Arkham Cursed, it can be bloody frustrating as it is! I will retire Rex the first round and take my pick from a new choice.
ps. sorry the delay in replying. My lad managed to throw my netbook on the floor and break the keyboard & wireless adaptor, net result using USB keyboard, plugged into router, sat on kid's bedroom floor. He is my personal GOO. :x :x

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:39 am
by BlackSmoke
I was going to head to the store to spend some cash. There's not much else I can do bar collect clues. Perhaps I should start picking them up from the bottom of the board before gates gobble them up!

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:50 am
by ProfToff
umm after the initial dismay and disbelief I had a think about my options. It seems if I ever close a gate I wil immeditely fail my story. So my only option for removing curse is 10 Toughness but maybe if I chose my monsters wisely and I can possibly do this looking at the kick arse items I got. So it looks like I will be on clearing the streets from now on.

I might as well start with the Vamp & Cultist (however if he eludes me no worries)

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:39 am
by Tabs
ProfToff, we are posting a phase at a time (so Upkeep only) and in player order and in the "Kingsport Horror (ic)" topic. You are the last player, BTW. :)

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:48 am
by Tabs
I spilt coffee on my laptop's keyboard, luckily I have an old "tower" PC--it sure does hum.

BlackSmoke, you're next to post in the "Kingsport Horror (ic)" topic--go ahead with Michael's Upkeep. Shop or collect a Clue this turn--you choose.

ProfToff, Carolyn is probably gonna use her "Flute" on the Vampire and Cultist . . .

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:21 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:Carolyn is probably gonna use her "Flute" on the Vampire and Cultist . . .
I guess so, it just seems like calling in a tactical nuke on a machine gun.
Mr. Handy wrote:It's never a waste of time to clear the streets of monsters, especially when one of them is a Cultist, which can destroy Elder Signs.
It is this which swings it.
Mr. Handy wrote:You'll still need to pass a Horror check against the Vampire first
Would I? According to the Flue rules, it just looks like a regular horror check?
Flute of the Outer Gods Clarification wrote:You must pass a Horror Check before using the Flute. If there are more than one monster in your area, you only need to pass one Horror Check.
http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Flute_of_the_Outer_Gods

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:36 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, you must only make a Horror check against one of the monsters (I should have said "make" a Horror check, not "pass" it; you can still use the Flute even if you fail), and it is just a regular Horror check. The Cultist wouldn't cost you any Sanity. However, you'd have to actually find the Cultist first before you can encounter it, which means you're stuck with the Horror check against the Vampire. With two successes needed on an Evade check, finding the Cultist is nearly impossible. It's a good thing you have the Flute, or we might never flush it out. Fortunately, the Vampire has a +0 modifier to its Horror check, and with high enough Will that should be doable. Even if you fail, you'll have enough Sanity to use the Flute and still have one point left. After that, you'll be slowly recovering Sanity.

For those with nothing better to do, don't forget that we need someone to go to Kingsport and keep the rifts in check. Anyone can manage that, even Rex with his Curse.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:19 pm
by ProfToff
PeaceHammer 2 reasons to leave those monsters to me...
1. I have re-usables I can use against them so save your items
2. Until I get 10 Toughness worth of trophies and down to the church I am cursed with no chanc of rolled reprieve

Either way we'll be passing next turn, you want to swap the Dark Cloak or/and shrivellig spell for anything you got.

no worries Tabs but seems like a slow process.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:25 pm
by Tabs
ProfToff wrote:no worries Tabs but seems like a slow process.
Once we get going, it'll be a turn every few days, bet ya . . . ;)

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:05 pm
by Mr. Handy
How is Rex supposed to intercept the Cultist? Remember, it's Elusive, so you'd need two Evade successes to even find it. Not easy to do even if you don't have a Curse. It's worth using the Flute just to get rid of the Cultist.

Also, you will lose an Item for ending the turn in the street due to the hailstorm. Rex doesn't have any junk he can afford to lose. Maybe the Holy Water, but everything else is extremely useful. Don't worry, there will be other monsters to fight, and it only takes 5 Toughness worth of them to get a Blessing from the church.

You could also get a Gate trophy without blowing your Personal Story, though you wouldn't be able to seal it without an Elder Sign. Maybe after Carolyn takes down the monsters in the street, she can hand hers to Rex as he goes past. Then he can fight the Mi-Go and enter the Gate on the first turn, which would help all of us get a good headstart on sealing Gates. The Mi-Go can't be kept as a trophy, but you will get a Unique Item.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:32 pm
by ProfToff
Hailstorm, what bloody hailstorm lol.
I agree I certainly do not want to lose any items. My first impulse was to jump on Independence Square. Would normlly avoid going in a gate without means to seal it but the Elder sign option works for me. So Al Dark Cloak or Shrivelling?

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:20 pm
by Peacehammer
Ok, so it is clear:

1) Nuke the cultists / vampire with a flute
2) Lob an elder sign at a passing reporter (I would like shriveling in return please Toff)
3) Fling a lucky cigarette case into the air to protect me against a hailstorm

:o

Got it.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:37 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, good starting story for Mandy. How do you find the time?--you've got a finger in a thousand game pies.

Peacehammer, I especially enjoyed your turn summary--Carolyn flinging her Lucky Cigarette Case at/into the hailstorm.

ProfToff, Rex's Upkeep is next in the "Kingsport Horror (ic)" topic.

BlackSmoke, if I haven't posted Luke's Movement, go ahead and post Michael's Movement, (Luke "stands-up").

Dice roller: http://www.invisiblecastle.com --any probs., just roll some dice and post the result.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:18 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer, I see that you are online at the moment. I'm thinking: go ahead and post, if you want to; Mandy will not be effected by Carolyn's Movement.

BlackSmoke, Michael's Movement story is excellent.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:27 pm
by Peacehammer
Ok, I have taken my turn, and updated the character sheet.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, Tabs! I keep running short of time, though. Posting in each game I play in doesn't take long, but it adds up. However, it's updating the games I run that takes the most time.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:10 pm
by Tabs
ProfToff, as Mr. Handy pointed out, Rex has to "deal" with the Mi-Go.

I've had a change of heart: everyone can post whenever and not just in player order. Of course, there needs to be no conflict of interest, the obvious example are monsters obstructing investigators movement; what does everyone think?

Arkham Encounters
Woods
You trip over an object which turns out to be a rusty lockbox. . . . [See http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Woods to read the entire encounter.]

Black Cave
You are attacked by a shadowy being, . . . [See http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Black_Cave to read the entire encounter.]

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:57 am
by Mr. Handy
Card draws are another issue where player order matters. If cards need to be drawn from the same deck by different players, we'd need to preserve the correct order. It's also important for abilities (such as Research) which can only be used once per turn. If players act out of turn, I'd get to see if players who are ahead of me failed their rolls or succeeded before my own turn, and I'd get to see what I roll before I see what players who are before me in the turn order get to if I post early. Thus, if skill checks are going to be rolled, that needs to be done in order too.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:40 am
by Peacehammer
I would agree that player order should be kept as much as possible, with exceptions made on a case by case basis as above.

I think upkeep could be done in any order for flexibility though.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:02 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote:I would agree that player order should be kept as much as possible, with exceptions made on a case by case basis as above.

I think upkeep could be done in any order for flexibility though.
Yeah, that suggestion sounds reasonable.

England footballers were pants last night.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:27 am
by ProfToff
All done, character updated, just need the item from the Mi-Go. Looks like me and Peace hammer have always played this wrong because I'm sure we would normally just dive through the gate.

As discussed I don't see movement order being an issue except where monsters are encountered or trades made. In either case it makes more sense to be in the correct order.

Otherworld encounter please.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:40 pm
by Tabs
ProffToff, the Mi-Go carried the Necronomicon: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Necronomicon

Next, Arkham encounters for BlackSmoke and Mr. Handy, and then Other World encounters for Tabs and ProfToff (I'll post the OW encs. later).

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:56 pm
by Peacehammer
ProfToff wrote:Looks like me and Peacehammer have always played this wrong because I'm sure we would normally just dive through the gate.
Hmm, TO THE WIKI!

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Gate
Gate encounters wrote: During the Arkham Encounters phase, any investigator that enters a location with a gate present is drawn through the gate into an Other World. The investigator moves to the first area (the left) of the Other World indicated on the gate marker.

Monsters guarding gates

During the first turn an investigator returns to Arkham the investigator does not need to evade or fight any monsters at the gate's location. If the investigator remains at the location on subsequent turns, however, he must evade or fight the monsters as normal.

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Arkham_Encounters_phase
Arkham Encounters Phase wrote: Gate

If the location has a gate, and the investigator has not yet moved through that gate, the investigator is drawn through the gate. He moves to the first area (the left area) of the Other World indicated on the gate marker.
It doesn't say either way whether you have to fight the monster before going into a gate in the encounters phase, but in the movement phase section it says:

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Movement_phase
Investigators in Arkham wrote: Any monsters on the location where the investigator ends his move must be either evaded or fought before the investigator's movement phase ends.

It doesn't specifically mention gates, but I guess that if you move in there, then it is still the movement phase, in which case it takes precedence over going into a gate which happens in the encounters phase.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:05 pm
by BlackSmoke
That's right! Fighting monsters is in the movement phase. Entering gates is in the Arkham Encounters phase.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:26 pm
by Tabs
Other World Encounter
The Dreamlands
You drink impure water from the River Kra. Pass a Luck (-2) check or lose 1 Sanity and stay here next turn.
Celeano (Other)
A hideous monster appears! Zombie: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Zombie

N.B. Mandy has the "Research" ability (re-roll) and Mr. Handy's Arkham encounter is next.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:20 pm
by Tabs
Tomorrow morning, I'll action the Mythos Phase and we can start Turn 2, Upkeep. BlackSmoke is the first player, however, post your Upkeep in any order.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Please don't skip me! I can only post in the evenings on most days during the week, though I'll be off from work next week, so July 2-4 will be an exception. I do have the Research ability, and you can ask me to use it to help you out if I haven't used it yet in a given turn and you fail a roll. However, making your own rolls first when you're behind me in the player order results in an unfair advantage, since I now know who has succeeded or failed.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy wrote: Blast! I would have liked to gain him, but I'm not going to burn Clues and slow myself down trying to get more.

It may be worth it for Luke to spend his initial Clue for a chance to avoid losing a turn.
Um, um, no, I'm gonna treat Clues like gold dust.
Please don't skip me!
Of course we wouldn't! (But it would be helpful if you could move three thousand miles.)

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:50 pm
by Tabs
I've posted Luke's Upkeep, and his Movement--since he is stranded in The Dreamlands.

Mr. Handy and ProfToff, you can trade, if you wish.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:33 pm
by Peacehammer
Ok, I have posted upkeep and updated my character sheet. Is it ok to post movement as I am going to move to the administration building?

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:13 pm
by Tabs
Yes, I think it is okay.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Does Rex want to trade anything? I'm fine with the stuff I have now.

I had a feeling that a Gate would open under me. Good thing I didn't burn any Clues, as I'm going to need them all to seal the Gate. Those monsters are tough, but I'm hoping they'll have moved on or been eliminated by the turn after I get back. Or I could return by way of Independence Square.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:05 am
by BlackSmoke
A seal on Independance Square is better than the Black Cave as its a 'hot' location.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:39 am
by Tabs
Arkham Encounter
Historical Society
When you arrive, you discover . . . http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Historical_Society (KH)
Administration Building
Your discussions on the Mythos . . . http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Administration (AH)
Arkham Asylum
An absentminded orderly . . . http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Arkham_Asylum (KH)

Other World Encounter
Celeano (Other) [Mandy]
The insanity of this place finally hits you. Lose 1 Sanity.
Celeano [Rex]
Pass a Luck (-1) check or the book is a prison. . . . http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/File%3AGate11.png
The Dreamlands
"We claim this as our own," . . . http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/File%3AGate104.png

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:42 pm
by Peacehammer
Ok, being sent right where I started is a bit frustrating. While I am now $4 richer, which means that I now just need $4 to complete my personal story, I was hoping to get to St Mary's hopsital to heal up.

Do people think it is worth going to get a loan, complete my story, and still have $6 to pay for the loan repayments?

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:44 pm
by Tabs
Hmm, the rewards for passing her personal story are not amazing, and I normally steer clear of Bank Loans, so I would say keep the $11 and go shopping.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy
I don't know, a Blessing a three Clue tokens are nothing to sneeze at. It'll put Carolyn fairly close to getting enough Clues to seal a Gate, which could help us win more quickly. I agree that Bank Loans are risky, but that $6 in change will leave a decent cushion to make interest payments, and a trip to the Newspaper could help pay off the loan entirely.

I remember playing a solo game with Carolyn Fern, taking out Bank Loan, and completing my story right away. Then I had to make an interest payment on the next two turns, one turn before I would have gotten more money at the Newspaper. I still won the game somehow and ended up punching out Nyogtha.

If anyone needs me to use Research, just ask.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:54 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer, Mr. Handy is probably right when he says:
Mr. Handy wrote:I don't know, a Blessing a three Clue tokens are nothing to sneeze at. It'll put Carolyn fairly close to getting enough Clues to seal a Gate, which could help us win more quickly. I agree that Bank Loans are risky, but that $6 in change will leave a decent cushion to make interest payments, and a trip to the Newspaper could help pay off the loan entirely.

ProfToff, the OW encounter card for Rex is confusing.
You can re-roll Rex's initial Luck check, if successful, keep hold of those two Clues; if unsuccessful, consider the Clues spent; and then roll again where failure = monster, success = delayed.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:19 am
by Peacehammer
I thought that I had posted this yesterday, Yibb-Tstll must have held it up.

So after that setback I have been trying to work out what the best use of my time is.

I have just read the bit about the Kingsport rifts, and since we don't have anyone up there, is it worth me going up there because the results from that will very quickly start to add to the doom track?

Sanity is fine, but with one stamina, I would have to visit the community hospital. It says spend $1 to gain 1 sanity and stamina, is it possible to spend more than $1 to get more health back?

If I do that, then it is probably worth forgetting about completing the story, going to the magic shop, buying something useful, then heading to Kingsport.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:50 pm
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote:I have just read the bit about the Kingsport rifts, and since we don't have anyone up there, is it worth me going up there because the results from that will very quickly start to add to the doom track?

Sanity is fine, but with one stamina, I would have to visit the community hospital. It says spend $1 to gain 1 sanity and stamina, is it possible to spend more than $1 to get more health back?
We need someone in Kingsport. Carolyn? yeah, why not. I'd go straight to Kingsport and visit the Congregational Hospital--(I've always assumed that an investigator can spend $1 per turn).

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:22 pm
by ProfToff
Tabs wrote:ProfToff, the OW encounter card for Rex is confusing.
You can re-roll Rex's initial Luck check, if successful, keep hold of those two Clues; if unsuccessful, consider the Clues spent; and then roll again where failure = monster, success = delayed.
I will do just that please. Also if this fails and Carolyn can prevent a Sanity loss if may just save my @rse. Always miss the casting around a table for a way out when this is played by forum. NIce one.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:31 pm
by Tabs
Hooray! it worked--Mandy's (not Carolyn, but who cares!) Research ability.

Okay, I'll post Turn 2, Mythos tomorrow morning. In Turn 3, Mr. Handy is the first player.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Rex is not actually delayed. The successful Luck check means nothing bad happens to him. If he had failed, then he'd have needed to roll a die to determine if he was attacked or delayed.

Also, Rex is the man that Mandy described seeing. We were in the same location, so we could have interacted. But she didn't need to be there to use Research.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:17 pm
by Tabs
BlackSmoke and ProfToff, I just visited BGG and saw that Arkanian wants to restart his pbp game. Are you interested?

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:34 pm
by ProfToff
Tabs wrote:BlackSmoke and ProfToff, I just visited BGG and saw that Arkanian wants to restart his pbp game. Are you interested?
On it, I can't play Arkham enough to be honest.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:43 pm
by BlackSmoke
I'm on holiday for 2 weeks tomorrow, but I'll still be able to post every now and again.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:28 am
by Tabs
BlackSmoke wrote:I'm on holiday for 2 weeks tomorrow, but I'll still be able to post every now and again.
Okay, thanks for the heads-up. Have a good holiday.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:48 pm
by Tabs
ProfToff wrote: Assuming the Bless roll was part of the Mythos condition, not sure I've seen it before. 2 questions...
1. Does it affect me in the Otherworld?
2. If so does it remove my curse?
I say "Yes" to both.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:30 pm
by ProfToff
in that case that is an immense result. Once ah restored my Sanity i is goin to hunt me some trophies!!

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:03 pm
by Peacehammer
@ProffToff - that was a great roll.

Ok, so I have gone to the train station, I will have an encounter there and move to Kingsport next turn as I have run out of movement.

Does the environment card of the hailstorm affect the Kingsport board as well?

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:39 pm
by BlackSmoke
Michael will discard Dynamite and Obsidian Statue. I'll repeat this in the ic thread but could I ask someone to make the mythos roll for me?

Wrong game! :)

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:10 pm
by Peacehammer
BlackSmoke wrote:Michael will discard Dynamite and Obsidian Statue. I'll repeat this in the ic thread but could I ask someone to make the mythos roll for me?

Hey, I am the one with dynamite here, you leave it alone!

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:32 pm
by Tabs
BlackSmoke wrote:Michael will discard Dynamite and Obsidian Statue. I'll repeat this in the ic thread but could I ask someone to make the mythos roll for me?

Luck check--to be Blessed (1d6=1)

ProfToff, is Rex returning to Indie Sq. or Black Cave?

Oh! Is there a problem to register at Invisible Castle? I read somewhere that it doesn't like spaces in names e.g. Michael McGlen, I s'pose it likes Michael_McGlen instead.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:36 pm
by ProfToff
Peacehammer wrote:@ProffToff - that was a great roll.
A real make or breaker Al, I almost punched the air! (I just might well of around a table)

I would have a go at the Star Spawn@Black Cave but 2 San Horror loss immediately institutionalises me. If anyone can think of a way around that I'd be happy to take it on, as it is I think it's going to have to be Independence Square and I am going to shaft someone.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:48 pm
by ProfToff
Tabs wrote:Oh! Is there a problem to register at Invisible Castle? I read somewhere that it doesn't like spaces in names e.g. Michael McGlen, I s'pose it likes Michael_McGlen instead.
I registered 2 different usernames with 2 different email addresses, both showed activation messages sent but neither have appeared in my inboxes. Check my spam folders as well. I will send a mail to IC support, it has been long enough now.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:37 pm
by Tabs
BlackSmoke didn't manage to post Michael McGlen's Upkeep and Movement, hopefully he'll pop in soon, and then we can do the encounters.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:13 pm
by Tabs
BlackSmoke wrote: Take Yithian as monster trophy!
Well done!

Arkham Encounter
http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Train_Station (AH)
Joey "the Rat" . . .
http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Research_Materials

Other World Encounter
Celeano (Other) [MH/KH]
Your terrible thirst has finally convinced you to try drinking some of the water here. Make a Luck (-1) check:
Successes
0) Lose 1 Stamina
1) No effect
2) Gain 1 Stamina
3) Gain 1 Stamina and draw 1 Spell

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
You should definitely buy that! WIth the 5 Clue limit, we'll not only need every Clue we can get, but this is also a way around the limit. You can have the Research Materials in addition to 5 Clues, so it's like having an ace up your sleeve in case of an emergency.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:45 pm
by Peacehammer
Mr. Handy wrote:You should definitely buy that! WIth the 5 Clue limit, we'll not only need every Clue we can get, but this is also a way around the limit. You can have the Research Materials in addition to 5 Clues, so it's like having an ace up your sleeve in case of an emergency.

Agreed, I have also seen some Kingsport encounters where you can get a special outcome by discarding research materials.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:13 pm
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote: Drawing closer he said "Well you can have them for less if you give me a kiss" and he puckered up.
Taking out $2 from her purse, she poked the money into his open mouth . . .
I like it!

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:16 pm
by ProfToff
whats the difficulty on the Ind Sq. gate peeps?

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 pm
by Mr. Handy
Both Celeano gates are -1, but remember that you don't have to roll when using an Elder Sign. You just lose 1 Sanity and 1 Stamina.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:46 am
by Tabs
This makes me sound a sad-o: I woke up this morning and thought of: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Severe_Hailstorm the environment mythos card is still in force; therefore Michael McGlen loses an item. :(

Edit: there is a new environment mythos card this turn, so scratch the above. I'll post the Mythos Phase later today.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:30 pm
by Tabs
It is Turn 4, Upkeep. Carolyn is the first player. Regards the Mythos card, we all have a Clue token, so the text does not apply to us this turn.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:51 pm
by Peacehammer
Ok, I have done my upkeep, but just so I am clear, to close a rift, I need to have an encounter in these 4 places:

Rift progress marker--7th House on the Left (white cross, black moon).
Rift progress marker--607 Water St. + Congregational Hospital (white square & diamond, black circle).
Rift progress marker--Hall School (white hex.; black slash, triangle and star).

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Rift_track

Once they have all been investigated, the rift closes. Is that correct?

In the movement phase I think the train will take me to Central hill, and then I can go to the 7th House on the left to start closing.

Is it correct that there is a clue in the middle of the street on Central hill, and I will collect it just by walking through, or do I have to stop there?

@Tabs - thanks, I wrote the whole piece round that line because I was thinking about why it cost the extra dollar.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:43 pm
by Mr. Handy
I messed up last turn. I thought my Fight track went up to 4, but it turns out it only goes up to 3. My Lore track goes up to 4, but I don't have enough Focus to get it there in one turn. I should have upped it by one last turn, but it's too late now, and that would have made my Encounter harder by lowering my Luck.

I believe using the Elder Sign causes one of the Doom tokens to be removed, so we should be down to 3.

There are not currently any rifts open (which is a good thing!) Visiting a location on a rift progress marker causes that marker to be removed from the rift track, so I'd start with either 607 Water St. or Congregational Hospital if you can reach one of them. You should probably visit the hospital anyway, and we don't want that track filling up. Once it does and a rift opens, you have to visit all four of that type to close it.

The Clue in the street can only be picked up if you end your movement there. You have better things to do. :)

This turn I'll increase my Lore to 3 in my Upkeep. My movement will be to return to the Black Cave, and in my Arkham Encounter I will try to seal the Gate using Fight. I have Research to help me out if necessary. Next turn I'll raise my Will and fight the Star Spawn (and try again to seal the Gate with Lore 4 if I failed the previous turn), and after that I'll probably head to the Asylum and pay $2 to get my Sanity restored if I lose another 2 from the Star Spawn.

Somebody needs to hunt down that Cultist before it finds our Elder Signs.

I won't be leaving for another 21 hours or so. Another player is already away, I think, but may be able to post. For the next few days, two of us will be away at the same time. Do we pause the game during that time?

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:08 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote:Ok, I have done my upkeep, but just so I am clear, to close a rift, I need to have an encounter in these 4 places:

Rift progress marker--7th House on the Left (white cross, black moon).
Rift progress marker--607 Water St. + Congregational Hospital (white square & diamond, black circle).
Rift progress marker--Hall School (white hex.; black slash, triangle and star).

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Rift_track

Once they have all been investigated, the rift closes. Is that correct?

In the movement phase I think the train will take me to Central hill, and then I can go to the 7th House on the left to start closing.
Yes. I'd consider moving to Congregational Hospital and restoring 1 Stamina. . . . Edit: I see from the ic topic you've moved to the hospital!
Mr. Handy wrote: I messed up last turn. I thought my Fight track went up to 4, but it turns out it only goes up to 3. My Lore track goes up to 4, but I don't have enough Focus to get it there in one turn. I should have upped it by one last turn, but it's too late now, and that would have made my Encounter harder by lowering my Luck.
I didn't notice--(I'm not checking the investigator topic). Anyhow, good luck to Mandy with the gate.
I believe using the Elder Sign causes one of the Doom tokens to be removed, so we should be down to 3.
Thanks. Image Oh, BTW, well done to Rex Murphy.
This turn I'll increase my Lore to 3 in my Upkeep. My movement will be to return to the Black Cave, and in my Arkham Encounter I will try to seal the Gate using Fight. I have Research to help me out if necessary. Next turn I'll raise my Will and fight the Star Spawn (and try again to seal the Gate with Lore 4 if I failed the previous turn), and after that I'll probably head to the Asylum and pay $2 to get my Sanity restored if I lose another 2 from the Star Spawn.
Okay. This turn Luke Robinson will return to Woods and fight the Ghost; on subsequent turns Luke will pick up the Clues at the Science Building, and return to Woods and the gate.
Somebody needs to hunt down that Cultist before it finds our Elder Signs.
I wonder if Rex Murphy is the man for it?
I won't be leaving for another 21 hours or so. Another player is already away, I think, but may be able to post. For the next few days, two of us will be away at the same time. Do we pause the game during that time?
Yes, pause, no worries.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:11 am
by Peacehammer
Ok, so I am going to the hospital.

Does getting healing there count as having an encounter for the purposes of closing rifts, or do I have to have an actual encounter?

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:34 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote:Ok, so I am going to the hospital.

Does getting healing there count as having an encounter for the purposes of closing rifts, or do I have to have an actual encounter?
Yes, it counts as an encounter.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:53 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:
Peacehammer wrote:Ok, so I am going to the hospital.

Yes, it counts as an encounter.
Sweet. I would write something up for this encounter in the usual way, but does anyone have any idea how having encounters closes rifts - fluff wise?

Tabs wrote:
Peacehammer wrote:Ok, I have done my upkeep, but just so I am clear, to close a rift,

-snip-

Yes. I'd consider moving to Congregational Hospital and restoring 1 Stamina. . . . Edit: I see from the ic topic you've moved to the hospital!
I think we posted at pretty much the same time.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:25 am
by Tabs
Don't forget to deduct Luke's Sanity for failing the Horror check against the Ghost.
Luke succeeded at the check--rolled a 6.
She is so overjoyed at her success that she fails to notice the trail of viscous slime leading away from where the gate had once been and out of the cave mouth...
ImageImage --it's a bad boy!

Mr. Handy, how did it go at the convention?

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:24 pm
by ProfToff
Can you evade until someone else has a pop at it!

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can take it!"

I'll never get two successes on an Evade check, Dark Cloak or no. Of course, if someone who goes before me on Turn 5 wants to take it out before my turn, I won't mind...

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote: . . . does anyone have any idea how having encounters closes rifts - fluff wise?
No, no idea. :)
Mandy Thompson wrote: "I can take it!"
Madness awaits.

Okay, Turn 4, Rex is sane once again, Mandy sealed a gate (2 of 6), Carolyn removed a Rift marker, Luke destroyed his nanny and Michael . . .

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:47 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:
Peacehammer wrote: . . . does anyone have any idea how having encounters closes rifts - fluff wise?
No, no idea. :)
While it is a good game mechanic, it seems like an odd thing based on the background material. Lacking any other suggestions, I reverted to my usual fiction state: mild nonsense.

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 pm
by ProfToff
Mr. Handy wrote:Image
Of course, if someone who goes before me on Turn 5 wants to take it out before my turn, I won't mind...
I'll have a go at it...

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy
You're getting much too far ahead! We haven't even had the Mythos Phase for Turn 4 yet. There may be something more important for you to do after that. Mandy can defeat the Star Spawn if necessary.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:59 am
by Peacehammer
@Toff, about the dice roller, are you sure that you have to log in?

I didn't, I just put a username in and the dice that I want it to roll. It seems to be keeping track of that.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:10 am
by Tabs
I'm itching to get this game moving, but BlackSmoke is due back from his hols. this weekend, so we'll wait until Sunday evening; if he hasn't posted by then, I'll post Michael McGlen's Turn 4. (Michael's Uptown, so I was thinking of Witch House or Silver Twilight Lodge?--Luke wants those Clues at the Science Building.)

Regards dice rolling, I'm easy as to how you do it; roll some cubes, even.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:28 pm
by ProfToff
Peacehammer wrote:@Toff, about the dice roller, are you sure that you have to log in?
Nah Al, it won't recognise my username and I still ahven't recieved either of the 2 activation notices I've been told I've been sent or had a reply to the message I sent asking for help with it.
Tabs wrote:Regards dice rolling, I'm easy as to how you do it; roll some cubes, even.
I guess I'll keep using the Test user at InvisibleCastle then until my account is sorted.
Mr. Handy wrote:You're getting much too far ahead! We haven't even had the Mythos Phase for Turn 4 yet. There may be something more important for you to do after that. Mandy can defeat the Star Spawn if necessary.
Sorry mate eager to move on (and kick some monster @rse now I ain't cursed :) )

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:42 pm
by Tabs
Turn 5, Rex is the first player.

Do you think that the Mythos card "Mudslides" applies immediately? (Michael is in Easttown.)

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:22 pm
by ProfToff
Tabs wrote:Do you think that the Mythos card "Mudslides" applies immediately? (Michael is in Easttown.)
I'd apply it immediately.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy
Is Rex still going to fight the Star Spawn? If so, I'll go shopping for Unique Items and hope for an Elder Sign or something else good that I can afford. Otherwise, I'll fight it myself.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:39 am
by Tabs
ProfToff, Michael McGlen can fight the Star Spawn or pick up the Clues at The Unammable--you decide on whether Rex is to have a slap at the baddie.

Luke's Speed is piss-poor, now the Science Building has a gate, he'll go to Library.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:32 pm
by ProfToff
Over to Mike for some monster wuppin!

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:11 pm
by Tabs
Arkham Encounter
7th House on the Left
Wandering through the neighborhood, you run into a little old lady out watering her roses. Talking to her, you find that her name is Gladys Pickman, and before you know it, hours have passed in a fascinating conversation about Kingsport's history. You are delayed.
Hibb's Roadhouse
A horrible monster appears!
ImageImage

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:36 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy wrote: You should have asked me to use Research in the first round. One of those rerolled dice would have been bound to succeed. I'm going shopping, so I don't need it for myself. I'll need to see what Unique Items are for sale before I can have my encounter.
Yes, I should have, shit. As you won't be needing "Research," let's say Rex can use it if he needs to.

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 am
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:Arkham Encounter
7th House on the Left
Wandering through the neighborhood, you run into a little old lady out watering her roses. Talking to her, you find that her name is Gladys Pickman, and before you know it, hours have passed in a fascinating conversation about Kingsport's history. You are delayed.
Hibb's Roadhouse
A horrible monster appears!
ImageImage

That made me sweat. I saw my encounter for the 7th house on the left, then saw the monster, and thought it was mine.

Good luck with that, Toff!

Oh well, being delayed but still helping with closing rifts and picking up a clue.

Also Tabs; I had a look in my lending library, there wasn't a single weapong there at all, even the staplers had been blunted, so where luke got that from, I don't know :? :D .

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:05 pm
by ProfToff
Tabs wrote:Yes, I should have, shit. As you won't be needing "Research," let's say Rex can use it if he needs to.
Pah! I won't be needing luck, I'm gonna have this on a bap instead of a burger! If I could borrow a dollar offa someone so I can sort my San out that would be much appraciated

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:55 pm
by Tabs
Curiositie Shoppe

Image Any Phase: Place 1 Sanity token from the bank on Crystal of the Elder Things to avoid paying the entire Sanity cost of a spell you are casting. If there are 3 Sanity tokens on it, discard Crystal of the Elder Things.

Image Movement: Exhaust and spend 4 movement points to make a Will (-2) check. If you pass, discard Massa di Requiem per Shuggay, and the Ancient One immediately awakens. If you fail, nothing happens.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy
The Illuminated Manuscript is from the King in Yellow expansion, which we're not using. So is the Gladius of Carcosa. Luke would find the Crystal, since that was the next Unique Item in line. I'll need two replacement cards.

Also, Michael McGlen has his Encounter at the Black Cave before I get to choose something to buy. If he has to draw any Unique Items, he'll find the Massa di Requiem first.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:25 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy wrote:The Illuminated Manuscript is from the King in Yellow expansion, which we're not using. So is the Gladius of Carcosa. Luke would find the Crystal, since that was the next Unique Item in line. I'll need two replacement cards.
Meh! how annoying. Those pesky KiY symbols are easy to miss. . . . Okay, I'll put it right.
Peacehammer wrote: Also Tabs; I had a look in my lending library, there wasn't a single weapon there at all, even the staplers had been blunted, so where Luke got that from, I don't know :? :D .
Very prophetic! :lol:

Oh, BTW, Carolyn can go ahead and have her encounter as no one else will be effected.
ProfToff wrote: If I could borrow a dollar offa someone so I can sort my San out that would be much appreciated.
Luke plans to visit The Unammable next turn, and he is the first player, if you follow him there he can give Rex some $s.
Suddenly he felt something brush against his bare arse and he jumped up in shock.
That made me laugh.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:43 am
by BlackSmoke
Hey folks! I'm back now and able to proceed. I'll read back through the thread to see where we are. Are we waiting on me for something?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:08 am
by Tabs
BlackSmoke, you're back! Um, I've run Michael into the ground, I'm afraid. He's bagged a Crawling One and a Star Spawn, gained Dark Cloak (for $4), lost 2 Sanity and 6 Stamina, and is LiTaS.

Did you have nice holiday?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:35 am
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:BlackSmoke, you're back! Um, I've run Michael into the ground, I'm afraid. He's bagged a Crawling One and a Star Spawn, gained Dark Cloak (for $4), lost 2 Sanity and 6 Stamina, and is LiTaS.

:lol:, shame you didn't give him a curse and a madness / injury card, then he would have the full set of bad things.
Tabs wrote: Image
Movement: Exhaust and spend 4 movement points to make a Will (-2) check. If you pass, discard Massa di Requiem per Shuggay, and the Ancient One immediately awakens. If you fail, nothing happens.
Umm, why would you ever use that?

I suppose if you got it really early on, and thought that you could take on the GOO while it was weak. Is that it?
Tabs wrote: Oh, BTW, Carolyn can go ahead and have her encounter as no one else will be affected.
I have had my turn 5, and am delayed - I edited the first turn 5 post I made.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:50 am
by Tabs
Curiositie Shoppe
Image Movement: Spend 3 movement points and discard Ancient Tablet to roll 2 dice. For every success rolled, draw 1 Spell. For every failure rolled, gain 2 Clue tokens.
Image Any Phase: Lose 2 Stamina and discard Blue Watcher of the Pyramid to automatically succeed at a Combat check or a Fight check or Lore check made to close a gate. This cannot be used against an Ancient One.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:29 pm
by BlackSmoke
Tabs wrote:BlackSmoke, you're back! Um, I've run Michael into the ground, I'm afraid. He's bagged a Crawling One and a Star Spawn, gained Dark Cloak (for $4), lost 2 Sanity and 6 Stamina, and is LiTaS.

:lol:

He's still alive, though! That's something I suppose. And his personal story is still on by the sounds of it.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy
Peacehammer wrote:
Tabs wrote: Image
Movement: Exhaust and spend 4 movement points to make a Will (-2) check. If you pass, discard Massa di Requiem per Shuggay, and the Ancient One immediately awakens. If you fail, nothing happens.
Umm, why would you ever use that?

I suppose if you got it really early on, and thought that you could take on the GOO while it was weak. Is that it?
That's the only reason I can see to use it. The problem is, I think the Doom Track is automatically filled when the Ancient One awakens. Otherwise, you could use it on the first turn and fight when the Ancient One only had one Doom token. However, there's still an advantage. If Hastur is the Ancient One, his Combat modifier is -X, where X is the Terror level. Better to fight him when it's 0 rather than 10.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:18 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote: I have had my turn 5, and am delayed - I edited the first turn 5 post I made.
A new post, rather than edit, is best, otherwise I miss the good stuff.

It is Turn 6, Upkeep; don't forget McGlen misses this turn.

The Clues at The Unammable--which Luke was after--have been zapped; now he'll fight the Shoggoth.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:
Peacehammer wrote: I have had my turn 5, and am delayed - I edited the first turn 5 post I made.
A new post, rather than edit, is best, otherwise I miss the good stuff.
Apologies.

I assume that I can still do upkeep while being delayed?

All the other rift locations are 3 moves away so I need to boost speed.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:16 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, you can have Mandy by-pass Luke on her way to the Lodge, but there is nothing I wish to trade. . . .

I'll post your encounters later today.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:52 am
by ProfToff
I am goin to jump in a gate and gamble with my 2 San!!
Scratch that, to risky without my brazier ready to go. I will recoup a San @asylum and head into the Dreamlands/Another Dimension next turn.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:02 pm
by Tabs
ProfToff wrote:I am goin to jump in a gate and gamble with my 2 San!!
Scratch that, to risky without my brazier ready to go. I will recoup a San @asylum and head into the Dreamlands/Another Dimension next turn.
The brazier is refreshed--oh, I've seen Rex's Upkeep, and you've done it. Also, Rex only has $1, so no full cure.--gate, gate, gate, gate--no pressure!

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:10 pm
by Tabs
Arkham Encounter
Silver Twilight Lodge
"Care to join the Order?" Carl Sanford and several of his henchmen ask. If you accept, pay $3 and take a Silver Twilight Membership. If you decline, pass a Will (-1) check or lose 3 Stamina as the henchmen assist you out the door. Whether you pass or not, move to the stree

7th House on the Left
Strolling along the lane, you run into Gladys Pickman out weeding her garden. She takes a liking to you and the two of you spend several hours discussing the latest neighborhood gossip. You are delayed. :roll:

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:49 pm
by ProfToff
Tabs wrote:
ProfToff wrote:I am goin to jump in a gate and gamble with my 2 San!!
The brazier is refreshed--oh, I've seen Rex's Upkeep, and you've done it. Also, Rex only has $1, so no full cure.--gate, gate, gate, gate--no pressure!

With 2 San and zero Will any monster could well screw me, 'sides the gate ain't goin anywhere.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:54 am
by Tabs
Mandy swallows in fear, but she thinks quickly. In her studies she had learned the Silver Twilight Lodge's secret handshake, and she tries it out on him. "It'll have to be another time, guys. I have important Lodge business."

The goon scratches his head, confused.
Nice one, Mandy.

Peacehammer, ProfToff, did you want to post any flavour text for your Arkham Encounter? Whatever, the Mythos Phase will be posted later today. :)

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:38 pm
by Tabs
Doom track is now 7 of 11. :evil:

It is Turn 7, BlackSmoke is the first player.

Luke will go to Witch House and pick up the Clue. Does that tread on any toes? . . .

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:51 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:Peacehammer, ProfToff, did you want to post any flavour text for your Arkham Encounter? Whatever, the Mythos Phase will be posted later today. :)
Ok, I thought that was the turn that I was delayed eating biscuits.

Has another rift progress marker been added on 7th house on the left? In that case, I might as well stay where I am.

What victory conditions are we playing to? It seems a bit near the wire at the moment.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:34 pm
by ProfToff
Any chance someone could clear a path through the Merchant District for me pls.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy
I had said I was planning to go to the Witch House for the Clue this turn, but now that I've ended up in the street I can use the Tablet and still get the one in the Graveyard if I don't get four Clues that way. If I do, I'll be maxed out, so I'll want to head towards an open Gate instead. Unfortunately, I can't reach any with two movement points except R'lyeh, but I could deal with the Formless Spawn in that event.

We need six sealed Gates to win, and we have two. Don't forget that Cultists can destroy Elder Signs, and there's already one on the board. Luckily, it hasn't moved yet. We could alternatively win by having no open Gates while we collectively hold five or more Gate trophies, but that's unlikely to happen. Or we can beat the Ancient One after it awakens, which is even less likely. We really need to get some more Gates sealed, fast.

My Personal Story allows me to automatically close and seal a Gate of my choice after five Gates fail to open due to our Elder Signs. So far this hasn't even happened once.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:57 am
by ProfToff
I'll clear the spawn then and set myself up to try and catch the cultist before jumping in another dimension!!

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:15 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote:Ok, I thought that was the turn that I was delayed eating biscuits.

Has another rift progress marker been added on 7th house on the left? In that case, I might as well stay where I am.
Carolyn has been delayed, again, by the old biddy. You'll have to pour another cup of tea. . . . The upside is that a rift progress marker was added to this location.
Mr. Handy wrote: I had said I was planning to go to the Witch House for the Clue this turn, but now that I've ended up in the street I can use the Tablet and still get the one in the Graveyard if I don't get four Clues that way. If I do, I'll be maxed out, so I'll want to head towards an open Gate instead. Unfortunately, I can't reach any with two movement points except R'lyeh, but I could deal with the Formless Spawn in that event.
Scratch Luke's intent for Witch House, he'd be better suited to fight the Formless Spawn.

Oh, Mandy is effected by Mudslides.
ProfToff wrote: I'll clear the spawn then and set myself up to try and catch the cultist before jumping in another dimension!!
Rex's Will isn't up to the Horror check, Luke can do it, but he moves last. :(

Michael can go to Arkham Asylum?

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:15 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:Carolyn has been delayed, again, by the old biddy. You'll have to pour another cup of tea. . . . The upside is that a rift progress marker was added to this location.
Oh well. It is a bit annoying because if you look at the encounters for the 7th house on the left, a lot of them have really cool items and spells as part of them:

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/7th_House_on_the_Left
Mr. Handy wrote:We need six sealed Gates to win, and we have two.
Huh.

Well, good luck to those in Arkham then. If I can ever get away from Gladys and close rift markers then I will help close gates! For now, clearing rift markers is probably the best thng I can do.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:10 pm
by ProfToff
ProfToff wrote:I'll clear the spawn then and set myself up to try and catch the cultist before jumping in another dimension!!
Yeah scratch that, I can beat the spawn but will leave me on 1 San, only 2 Will and 2 beasties waiting in the sky to pounce anad end my lucky run sanity. I'll wait a turn for Luke to clear the Spawn. I'll try for an encounter at the Curiosity Shoppe, see if I get lucky.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:29 pm
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote:Oh well. It is a bit annoying because if you look at the encounters for the 7th house on the left, a lot of them have really cool items and spells . . .
Maybe Carolyn will get lucky soon because she has another encounter at the 7th house this turn.

I'll post the encounters tomorrow morning. If BlackSmoke doesn't post, I'll do it tomorrow, and send Michael to the asylum.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:36 pm
by BlackSmoke
The asylum or the hospital! Michael needs to go to both! With his strong body I suppose the Asylum is more pressing!

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Wait, I got moved by the Mudslides? The card says that only happens on a 1, and you rolled a 6.

How many turns did Carolyn forget to roll to keep her Blessing? You'll need to roll for any turns that you forgot, though you don't roll for the turn after you receive it.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:58 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy wrote:Wait, I got moved by the Mudslides? The card says that only happens on a 1, and you rolled a 6.
I wasn't clear, Mandy could be effected by the "Mudslides " mythos card (each player in a street checks). Mandy: Mudslides (1d6=2)
How many turns did Carolyn forget to roll to keep her Blessing? You'll need to roll for any turns that you forgot, though you don't roll for the turn after you receive it.
I totally forgot about this, okay, I see Peacehammer rolled Turn 7, the "Blessing" mythos card appeared in Turn 2, so rolls are required for turns 4, 5 and 6. T4: keep Blessing? (1d6=1)--bugger, I knew I should not have rolled for you! and Mandy used her re-roll ability Turn 4.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:08 am
by Tabs
Arkham Encounter
7th House on the Left
You come across a man in a tweed suit staring somewhat forlornly at one of the houses. Sighing, he says, "That woman just doesn't understand how much I need that journal for my research." Looking up, he notices you. "Maybe you could help me out?" If you pass a Sneak (-2) check or discard the Old Journal, Professor Morgan thanks you. Take his Ally card or, if it's not available, take the first Weapon from the Common Item deck.

Curiositie Shoppe
A pulsing void gapes behind a bookshelf, sending out waves of heat. Pass a Fight (-1) check or it sucks you in, hurling you into the Abyss. Have one encounter there, then immediately return.

Remember,
If anyone needs Research, just ask.

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy
Research can only be used on skill checks, not on things like rolling to keep a Blessing - or the Ancient Tablet, for that matter. I think I'd rather have the Clues anyway, since they're so scarce and we need to seal Gates.

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 am
by Tabs

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:37 pm
by ProfToff
Tabs wrote:Image
phew!

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:56 pm
by Peacehammer
7th House on the Left
You come across a man in a tweed suit staring somewhat forlornly at one of the houses. Sighing, he says, "That woman just doesn't understand how much I need that journal for my research." Looking up, he notices you. "Maybe you could help me out?" If you pass a Sneak (-2) check or discard the Old Journal, Professor Morgan thanks you. Take his Ally card or, if it's not available, take the first Weapon from the Common Item deck.
Hmm, with a sneak of 0, and -2 to the check, pretty sure I won't be passing that one... Shame, he isn't bad as an ally:

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Professor_Morgan

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote:Hmm, with a sneak of 0, and -2 to the check, pretty sure I won't be passing that one... Shame, he isn't bad as an ally
What you could try is to roll a d6 by burning Clues; Carolyn has 2, and it's a skill check,--thank you, Mr. Handy--so she can re-roll using Mandy's "Research."

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:
Peacehammer wrote:Hmm, with a sneak of 0, and -2 to the check, pretty sure I won't be passing that one... Shame, he isn't bad as an ally
What you could try is to roll a d6 by burning Clues; Carolyn has 2, and it's a skill check,--thank you, Mr. Handy--so she can re-roll using Mandy's "Research."
Yeah, I thought of that, with the research materials, I actually have 3. That ally is good, but I am not sure he is that good.

Besides, there is bound to be a gate opening up here soon, so I need to hoard all the clues I can get in order to close it.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:11 am
by Tabs
A Rumor, fantastic! Luke has 2 Spells, he could buy another, and if he was given 2 more. . . .

It's Turn 8, Mr. Handy is the first player. Luke could go to Police Station and pick up the Clue (avoiding Rivertown and the Gug).

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:14 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:A Rumor, fantastic! Luke has 2 Spells, he could buy another, and if he was given 2 more. . . .

It's Turn 8, Mr. Handy is the first player. Luke could go to Police Station and pick up the Clue (avoiding Rivertown and the Gug).
When I read that I thought that you meant that it was good. I am still not sure. Also: I think you only need to discard 4 spells, not 5:
From the card wrote: ...if a single player discards 3 spells (4 if there are 5 or more players)...
That is still quite a lot though. Is it worth trying to achieve?

It will essentially last 5 turns before it gets nasty but at the rate we are going at it will be game over in less than 5 turns, even without diverting our attention on something new.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:22 pm
by ProfToff
I will go for Another Dimension, I will have a single dice to try and catch that cultist, can I use the re-roll ability or is someone else going to have a go at the Cultist.

We need a couple of monster surges to keep the doom track stationary. When I have sealed the gate I'll get reading the Necronomicon for a spell or two.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:02 pm
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote:
Tabs wrote:A Rumor, fantastic! Luke has 2 Spells, he could buy another, and if he was given 2 more. . . .
When I read that I thought that you meant that it was good. I am still not sure. Also: I think you only need to discard 4 spells, not 5:
No, I was being sarcastic, honest--what's the smilie for it, :roll: ?
...if a single player discards 3 spells (4 if there are 5 or more players)...
4 Spells it is.
ProfToff wrote: We need a couple of monster surges to keep the doom track stationary. When I have sealed the gate I'll get reading the Necronomicon for a spell or two.
We're bound to have a few monster surges heading our way; Luke and Michael can dish out slaughter to the bad guys. I forgot the Necronomicon, together we can beat the Rumor. Also, Yibby is "All Seeing"--increases the difficulty of Evade checks by 1.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, you can't catch the Cultist with only one die, since you need two successes. My ability only allows you to reroll failed dice, and I'll probably need it for one of the Other World Encounters anyway.

Even better than monster surges would be if a Gate fails to open because of one of our Elder Signs (as long as it's not a gate burst!). That would keep the Doom track steady without flooding Arkham with monsters, and it would also help towards my Personal Story, which will automatically seal a Gate if it succeeds. Things are not as hopeless as they look, and it's worth stopping the Rumor (which will also make Cultists easier to kill if you can find them). I don't think the Doom track will fill up any time soon (unless we get something like Anomalies again). There are only 11 unstable locations. Two of them have Elder Signs, and most of the others have open Gates already. The problem we have is too many open Gates at once awakening the Ancient One. There are five players, so six open Gates at once will do it. Right now there are five. Still, most of the unstable locations without them don't come up too much, but we'd better get to sealing Gates fast, or it's bound to happen.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:14 pm
by ProfToff
fair enough, I'll do The Dreamlands instead then, someone else needs to do the Cultist then

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:09 pm
by Tabs
Other World Encounter
Unknown Kadath (Other)
A glimmer of gold catches your eye. Gain $2.

The Dreamlands

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:54 am
by Tabs
ProfToff wrote: buggerbugger bugger LiTaS for me, what do I lose again, is it half items and clues?
Yes, half clues and items, rounded up; LiTaS--miss a turn. When Rex returns to Arkham, meet up with Luke, and we'll deal with the Rumor.
Edit
actually I might as well use some clues to try and save this situation rather than lose clues AND items.
Clue 1 = 1d6.hits(5)=1
Huzzah! (Wow 6 rolls made in the 20 so minutes since I made mine, busy site)
Be no seal unless I get lucky next encounter or someone can get a clue to me somehow peeps.
Hooray! Cannot trade Clue tokens, unfortunately.

It is Turn 9, Peacehammer is the first player.

Luke will pick up the Clue at Hibb's. Michael?--he could go to Kingsport--swap places with Carolyn.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:57 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:
ProfToff wrote:Be no seal unless I get lucky next encounter or someone can get a clue to me somehow peeps.
Hooray! Cannot trade Clue tokens, unfortunately.
Actually, I have research materials which counts as a clue, but is an item so can be traded. It will take me two turns to get down to The Unnamable where Rex will be coming out, but I don't see an alternative.

Tabs wrote:It is Turn 9, Peacehammer is the first player.

Luke will pick up the Clue at Hibb's. Michael?--he could go to Kingsport--swap places with Carolyn.
Following from the above, seems like a good idea. Other than getting rid or rift markers, there doesn't seem to be a lot going on in Kingsport.

Edit: Ok, done. I see from the Mythos card that the gate didn't open because it was on an Elder sign - woohoo.

Toff, do you want the Necronomicon? Since we are meeting up and trading, is there any chance that I could have it? I have a higher lore than you so am more likely to pass the test. If we are going to try and shut off that spell thing, we will need more spells.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:12 pm
by ProfToff
Peacehammer wrote:Actually, I have research materials which counts as a clue, but is an item so can be traded. It will take me two turns to get down to The Unnamable where Rex will be coming out, but I don't see an alternative.
You read my mind Al!
Peacehammer wrote:Toff, do you want the Necronomicon? Since we are meeting up and trading, is there any chance that I could have it? I have a higher lore than you so am more likely to pass the test. If we are going to try and shut off that spell thing, we will need more spells.
Not a problem mate, I'd rather kick some @rae and may just spend me some gate trophies :D

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:52 pm
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote:Actually, I have research materials which counts as a clue, but is an item so can be traded. It will take me two turns to get down to The Unnamable where Rex will be coming out, but I don't see an alternative.
Great thinking, well done.

Peacehammer, Michael will go to Train Station as well, he's gonna be a rift marker remover, so d'ya want to trade Tommy Gun + Dark Cloak for Dynamite?

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:33 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:Peacehammer, Michael will go to Train Station as well, he's gonna be a rift marker remover, so d'ya want to trade Tommy Gun + Dark Cloak for Dynamite?
OH SO VERY MUCH YES!!!

In the dark streets of Arkham, gibbering beasties assault both the minds and bodies of the inhabitants.

There is only one person able to combat them both.

Armed with her wits and a Tommy Gun, Carolyn Fern is:

The Psychologist!

@Tabs, I have seen that you have made the trade and didn't want to write anything to speak for my character. Same goes for me, but I thought that I would give it a stab anyway. Let me know if I have taken the wrong tone or anything.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Great idea, Peacehammer! Luckily, Rex goes first next turn, so you won't get sucked through the Gate as long as he succeeds in sealing it.

Rex will fail his Personal Story if he drops down to 0 Clues, but there's nothing that can be done about it. We need to seal that Gate. Just don't get Cursed twice, and you won't be able to get a Blessing.

My own Personal Story is now 1/5 of the way to success. Four more and we get to seal an extra Gate for free.

I played a game of Arkham Horror once where I was Carolyn Fern and started with a Tommy Gun (it was Episode 3 on this board). That was a lot of fun!

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:27 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote:@Tabs, I have seen that you have made the trade and didn't want to write anything to speak for my character. Same goes for me, but I thought that I would give it a stab anyway. Let me know if I have taken the wrong tone or anything.
Tone is fine; it's good stuff!

Arkham Encounter
Train Station (KH) [Carolyn]
"I'll swap you for one of these." Discard one Common Item or one Unique Item of your choice. Then draw one Item of the type you discarded.

Hibb's
Pass a Luck (-1) check or a pickpocket cleans you out! Lose all your money.

Train Station (KH) [Michael]
You step up to a waiting cab just as a well-dressed traveller does. "I'm headed that way, too," says the other man. "The fare's on me." Move to any street or Arkham location and have an encounter there.--Is Michael allowed to journey to Kingsport? If so he'll go to Congregational Hospital and restore 1 Stamina; otherwise he'll stay put.

Other World Encounter
The Dreamlands (Other)
The weight of worlds presses down on you. Lose 1 Stamina.

Unknown Kadath
Image--Good God!

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:41 pm
by ProfToff
We seriously need to pass that test! That is one nasty card

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:11 pm
by Peacehammer
Train Station (KH) [Carolyn]
"I'll swap you for one of these." Discard one Common Item or one Unique Item of your choice. Then draw one Item of the type you discarded.
No trade.

I don't think that it is likely that I would get anything from the common item deck that would be better than what I have.

Tabs wrote:Other World Encounter
The Dreamlands (Other)
The weight of worlds presses down on you. Lose 1 Stamina.

Unknown Kadath
Image--Good God!
Who is that other card for? I thought that Rex is the only one who is in another world at the moment?

@Tabs, I have just been reading some of the older posts, plus older Arkham adventures on here which have happened. It just struck me how much effort you are putting into running this. Thank a lot for everything that you are doing here.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy
That was for me; Mandy is in Unknown Kadath. Unfortunately, I had to blow a Clue to pass that roll. I could still close the Gate, but I won't be sealing it now. That card really is nasty. Of all them, that one had to come up... :evil:

We can still win if Rex seals that third Gate. Luke only needs one more Clue, as he'll get two more going through an Other World, and he can seal a fourth Gate. I just need a fifth Clue, and my Personal Story can seal one more Gate on top of that. If anyone has $5 or more, it might be a good idea to go shopping and hope for an Elder Sign. I only have $4, but I can give it to someone else who can then have a try.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:26 am
by Tabs
Peacehammer wrote:@Tabs, I have just been reading some of the older posts, plus older Arkham adventures on here which have happened. It just struck me how much effort you are putting into running this. Thank a lot for everything that you are doing here.
Thanks. It is worth it when players make an effort as well, like you and ProfToff, isn't that so, Mr. Handy?
Mr. Handy wrote: We can still win if Rex seals that third Gate. Luke only needs one more Clue, as he'll get two more going through an Other World, and he can seal a fourth Gate. I just need a fifth Clue, and my Personal Story can seal one more Gate on top of that.
Well, after Rex returns, and Carolyn reads the Necromonicon, and if Luke joins up with the other two, we'll have a pool of 5 Spells from which to choose 4; and if we pass the Rumor, we'll all receive 2 Clue tokens (there are 3 turns, after this one, to do it). If, if, if. . . . Luke and Mandy can seal gates, Rex and Carolyn can keep the streets clean, Michael can remove rift markers, and the investigators save the world--easy!

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:00 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote: We can still win if Rex seals that third Gate. Luke only needs one more Clue, as he'll get two more going through an Other World, and he can seal a fourth Gate. I just need a fifth Clue, and my Personal Story can seal one more Gate on top of that.
Well, after Rex returns, and Carolyn reads the Necromonicon, and if Luke joins up with the other two, we'll have a pool of 5 Spells from which to choose 4; and if we pass the Rumor, we'll all receive 2 Clue tokens (there are 3 turns, after this one, to do it). If, if, if. . . . Luke and Mandy can seal gates, Rex and Carolyn can keep the streets clean, Michael can remove rift markers, and the investigators save the world--easy!
You make it sound so simple.

Mr. Handy wrote:That was for me; Mandy is in Unknown Kadath. Unfortunately, I had to blow a Clue to pass that roll. I could still close the Gate, but I won't be sealing it now. That card really is nasty. Of all them, that one had to come up... :evil:
Oh, I missed that. For some reason I thought that you could only be in another world on the board that you are playing on, but I see that it is whatever gate comes out of the box.
Mr. Handy wrote:We can still win if Rex seals that third Gate. Luke only needs one more Clue, as he'll get two more going through an Other World, and he can seal a fourth Gate. I just need a fifth Clue, and my Personal Story can seal one more Gate on top of that. If anyone has $5 or more, it might be a good idea to go shopping and hope for an Elder Sign. I only have $4, but I can give it to someone else who can then have a try.
I have $5, but while it is possible to get an Elder sign from the shop they are quite rare and I have found it to be a little hit and miss when shopping. Do we have time to spend looking for one? Unless we have a couple of people searching at the same time?

But then, do we have a choice? There are't that many clue tokens on the board, so I guess we might need to have one.

I think my next turn will involve going to Rivertown, and assuming they are still there, taking out the Gug and Elder Thing.

Mandy, just a thought; after you close the gate you still get the gate token, so you could hop over to the science building and swap the gate token for clues to seal the next gate. Even if we are going to dis-spell the rumour, that will still give you clue tokens for more re-rolls.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:22 pm
by Tabs
I'm confusing myself and, probably, everyone else. First, let's see what mayhem the next mythos card brings. . . . Next turn, Rex returns to The Unammable, and Carolyn should move there too, then, trade Necronomicon for Research Materials. During the Arkham Encounters Phase Rex seals the gate and Carolyn has an encounter. However, if Rex doesn't seal the gate, Carolyn will be sucked through it to The Dreamlands.--Simples

Has Rex deducted 1 Stamina for his Turn 9, Other World Encounter? I'll post the Mythos Phase tomorrow morning.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy
Tabs wrote:
Peacehammer wrote:@Tabs, I have just been reading some of the older posts, plus older Arkham adventures on here which have happened. It just struck me how much effort you are putting into running this. Thank a lot for everything that you are doing here.
Thanks. It is worth it when players make an effort as well, like you and ProfToff, isn't that so, Mr. Handy?
It sure is! This is a lot of fun, and all of us contribute in our own way.

Michael could go to St. Mary's and heal all of his Stamina.

I can't go to the Science Building. There's a Gate to R'lyeh and a Dark Young sitting there. No, my best bet is to stay in the Woods and keep my explored token. I won't do anything during the Encounter phases until you guys beat the Rumor, but I'll be able to seal the Gate at that point. Just try to make it quick. ;)

If Rex needs it, I'll use my Research ability so he can reroll for sealing the Gate next turn.

Shopping for Elder Signs is definitely worth it if you have nothing better to do. We've gone through a number of other Unique Items already so far, so there's a greater chance now. Even if you don't get an Elder Sign, you'll get something useful.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:01 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy wrote:Michael could go to St. Mary's and heal all of his Stamina.
That's a good idea, which I hadn't thought of, however Michael only has $2, so he'd have to trade for more cash and he wouldn't reach Kingsport until Turn 12.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:28 pm
by Peacehammer
Ok, I have just seen that Yibb-Tstll's alarm clock has gone off and has awoken.

I have taken the liberty of coming up with a plan to maximise dice / effectiveness which I have laid out in the IC thread.

Hack it apart and let me know what you think, I have not played an Epic battle before, so that might change everything.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 am
by Tabs
Thanks. I've only played a couple of Epic Battles myself.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome. So have I, and never since I got Miskatonic Horror. All I did was look up the rules.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:37 pm
by ProfToff
Sorry been away and due to a unexpected domestic situation lost internet access a day earlier than planned and rather abruptly.

Anyhow so I can't use clue tokes to re-roll focus checks, bugger.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:47 pm
by BlackSmoke
Hey, folks! Sorry about disappearing. Got a bit caught up in a house move and let this slide. Don't think there was much that could have done anyway. I'll let you all roll the dice for Michael!

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:34 am
by Mr. Handy
I only realized when looking at the Kingsport rules that Guardians are also in this expansion. I'd forgotten all about them, but we really made things harder on ourselves by having a Herald but no Guardian. We might have done better if we'd had one.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:55 pm
by Tabs
Excellent game! I really enjoyed it. I felt certain the final battle would be a futile exercise; in the end, it was fairly easy.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:24 pm
by Peacehammer
Tabs wrote:Excellent game! I really enjoyed it. I felt certain the final battle would be a futile exercise; in the end, it was fairly easy.
Yes, it was good fun. I think that that 6=2 sucesses card made it slightly easier because we seemed to be getting more 6s than 1s.

Toff said that in the original Arkham, there was no final battle, if the GOO awakened that was the end of the game, so if we get to the final battle - even if we win - it still feels like we failed somehow.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:04 pm
by Tabs
The final battle is part of the core rules, we added Epic Battle variant from Kingsport Expansion--which isn't too different. And I agree, the extra success for 6s helped us.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:52 pm
by Peacehammer
I know it is part of the basic edition, but I was referring to the version which came before the one we just played:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/34/arkham-horror

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:11 pm
by Tabs
Ahhh! I'd like to try it.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:15 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, great game! I also thought we were doomed when Yibby woke up, but the double successes for 6s helped us a lot, especially with the rerolls from Research and the Bullwhip - plus we were lucky. If Mandy had been eaten, the survivors would have been hard pressed to finish the job.

I've heard of the 1987 edition, but I've never played it. I've frequently played the current edition solo, and I can win the base game about 2/3 of the time. Adding expansions lowers those odds, but it's more fun. It's extremely rare that I win by placing six Elder Signs as just one investigator, and I've never won by having all Gates closed simultaneously. Most of the time I do have to go through the final battle, but they're usually easier with a single investigator. Some Ancient Ones are extremely hard even solo, and of course if Azathoth wakes up it's game over.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:45 am
by Peacehammer
Mr. Handy wrote:If Mandy had been eaten, the survivors would have been hard pressed to finish the job.
Booooooo! Everyone played their part! And you didn't give that many re-rolls. Not like how much sanity I gave you :D .

Mr. Handy wrote:I've heard of the 1987 edition, but I've never played it.
I haven't played it either, but from what I have heard / read, it isn't as good as the latedt version.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:12 pm
by ProfToff
Great game by all, but it does feel like a draw to me when the GOO actually awakens but gets beaten by the final battle.

Gotta say the flavour text everyone added was by far the best I've ever read during a pbf game, well done to all for making it feel more roleplay than board :D :D :D

And a big thanks to Tabs for running it, nice one mate.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:59 pm
by Tabs
Thanks.

The image of Rex taking a dump at Hibb's will stay with me for a long time. :P

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:21 am
by ProfToff
So are we going to do a new one?

And should we try a Fanmade expansion since I for one am unlikely to ever print them out?

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:28 am
by Tabs
I'd like to do it again, but not for a few months. Now, if someone else is the Keeper, then I'd play! Alternatively we could try everyone as the Keeper, responsible for, say, encounters or Mythos Phase or item decks?

A Fanmade expansion is a thought . . . but would it be playable?--I mean, halfway through, would the new rules contradict old ones?

Personally, I fancy playing AH + King in Yellow + Miskatonic Horror.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Well, there is Vermont Horror, made by our very own AirborneXO. I'm sure that one will be good! The files can all be downloaded here (at the bottom).

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:03 pm
by Tabs
I've been thinking, and decided that I'd play in a Fanmade expansion, but not run one.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:01 pm
by Cearlan
Is this being run again ... I'd love to play having the base game and all the expansions. Have played solo and with my (semi-reluctant) partner but would really relish a 'proper game,' even if it is pbp.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy
It's between games now, and we're waiting for someone willing to run it who has the time. Tabs won't yet, but he said he'll play if someone else runs it. I have the game and all the expansions too, but I don't have time to run it, nor can I leave the game out for months on end. I'll also be away for about half of November. Would you be interested in running it? I'd play if you are.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 am
by Tabs
Cearlan wrote:Is this being run again ... I'd love to play having the base game and all the expansions. Have played solo and with my (semi-reluctant) partner but would really relish a 'proper game,' even if it is pbp.
Maybe I'll run a game in the New Year, in which case I'll drop you a P.M.

I'll also be away for about half of November.
Holidaying in Europe ?

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:00 pm
by Cearlan
Mr. Handy wrote:It's between games now, and we're waiting for someone willing to run it who has the time. Tabs won't yet, but he said he'll play if someone else runs it. I have the game and all the expansions too, but I don't have time to run it, nor can I leave the game out for months on end. I'll also be away for about half of November. Would you be interested in running it? I'd play if you are.
Wouldn't mind running it in all fairness, but I'd want to play at least once first - just to confirm I'm playing it right if for no other reason.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Hey Guys,

haven't been around in a while but thought I'd check out this thread again. If you guys get it going please drop me a pm and let me know. I'd like to give it a whirl again.

Hey any of you guys buy the miniatures for this game yet? A little pricey but they look dang good!

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy
Tabs wrote:
Cearlan wrote:Is this being run again ... I'd love to play having the base game and all the expansions. Have played solo and with my (semi-reluctant) partner but would really relish a 'proper game,' even if it is pbp.
Maybe I'll run a game in the New Year, in which case I'll drop you a P.M.

I'll also be away for about half of November.
Holidaying in Europe ?
Yep, I'm going to London from November 9-18. I'm also going to a convention in New Jersey from November 2-4. I will have more free time in the rest of November, though.
DSIGFUSS wrote:Hey Guys,

haven't been around in a while but thought I'd check out this thread again. If you guys get it going please drop me a pm and let me know. I'd like to give it a whirl again.

Hey any of you guys buy the miniatures for this game yet? A little pricey but they look dang good!
I've seen the minis online, but I haven't bought them. They do look nice.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:41 am
by Tabs
DSIGFUSS wrote:Hey Guys,

Sure, will do.
In the U.K. they are £170! I'd buy the set for £50.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:41 pm
by Tabs
Seen this fan expansion? It's pretty damn good.

https://sites.google.com/site/doortosat ... ard-images

And Fantasy Flight have posted a complete FAQ.