Arkham Horror chat (ooc)

In the sleepy town of Kingsport, unspeakable horror hides awaiting its time. Not only does Tulzscha run rampant, but it also blazes a trail for Yibb-Tstll. Five ordinary people from various walks of life will try to prevent it from destroying all they hold dear. Will they succeed?

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Arkham Horror chat (ooc)

Post by Tabs »

I don't understand the meaning of "The Sky is considered . . . "--2nd paragraph--flying Cultists?

BlackSmoke
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by BlackSmoke »

I'm pretty sure there is an AO that makes cultists into flying monsters by having them ride Nightgaunts. In this case, though, it's irrelevant.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Ah! So my facetious "flying Cultists" comment was correct.

Luke Robinson
Sword of Glory
Mists of Releh
Flesh Ward
Marksman

Michael McGlen
Obsidian Statue
Persuade (KH)

Mandy Thompson
Bullwhip
Dark Cloak
Enchanted Knife
Speed

Rex Murphy
Dark Cloak
Brazier of Souls (KH)
Holy Water
Shrivelling
Dread Curse of Azathoth
Fight
BlackSmoke
Layman
Layman

Post by BlackSmoke »

I checked. It's Hastur and they fly Byakhee.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Hi, is it too late to register interest?

I was invited by ProfToff as we have met IRL.

I have played this game a few times as a board game, but not on a forum, so please be patient while I pick up the forum etiquette. Is there somewhere I can read up on the forum rules for playing these games, like how do we handle distribution of random starting equipment / getting encounters / dice rolling / keeping track of stats etc?

In any case, to register my interest, I would like to be Carolyn Fern The Psychologist:

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Carolyn_Fern

Not one of the hardcore ones but she is quite useful, and her personal story means a lot of clues and a blessing. I was going to be Darrell Simmons the photographer so as we have a reporter as well this apocalypse would have had great media coverage!

Home: Arkham Asylum

Unique Ability: Psychology - Upkeep: Dr. Fern may restore 1 Sanity to herself or another character in her location. She cannot raise a character's Sanity higher than that character's maximum Sanity.

Status

Sanity: 6
Stamina: 4

Fixed Possessions

$7
1 Clue token

Random Possessions

2 Unique items
2 Common items
1 Skill

Focus: 2
Skills
Speed 0 1 2 3
Sneak 3 2 1 0
Fight 1 2 3 4
Will 4 3 2 1
Lore 2 3 4 5
Luck 5 4 3 2
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer, you are welcome to join, but consider that this game will last a few months and you need to check this game most days to see if it is your turn. What do you think? . . . :)
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Hey Tabs,

I appreciate the concern, however I have given a month notice in where I work, and have constant Internet connection so I am not exactly motivated to be 100% productive, I am planning on being unemployed for a month or two after that so I don't think that lack of time on here is going to be an issue!

Note; it's not because I am workshy or lazy, it's just I think have just been in this line of work for too long and it is getting boring, so I have decided to go back to college and then on to Uni.

Being mostly self employed, I haven't had a holiday for about 5 years, and most of my weekends have been taken up with work as well, I decided that I deserved a bit of a break
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Ouch, poor Rex Murphy! He can never complete his Personal Story now, and he'll need to get a Blessing some other way. Of course, it's now impossible for Carolyn Fern to fail hers.

Mandy's initial plan is to grab a Clue and then jump in an open Gate (preferably killing any monsters that come out of it; the initial Cultist too if possible). Sealing a Gate early will help us, but we need to keep those Cultists from popping the Elder Signs. Mandy should be good at hunting them down, at least.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer, I'm convinced! If you only knew how many Keepers and players disappear mid-game, you'd understand my paranoia; where's ProfToff, by the way?

Elder Sign--wahey!
Flute of the Outer Gods
Dynamite
Lucky Cigarette Case
Disguise

Mr. Handy wrote:Ouch, poor Rex Murphy!
Mr. Handy, I like your $s in the Investigator topic.

Everyone, I'll start the "Kingsport Horror (ic)" topic this evening. Player order will be: Tabs, BlackSmoke, Mr. Handy, Peacehammer and ProfToff. Post in player order; only post Turn 1, Phase 1: Upkeep; use a portrait at the beginning of your post (see the "Player Order" topic for portraits); write flavour text if you feel like it; ask questions; discuss tactics.
Mr. Handy wrote:Mandy's initial plan is to grab a Clue and then jump in an open Gate (preferably killing any monsters that come out of it; the initial Cultist too if possible). Sealing a Gate early will help us, but we need to keep those Cultists from popping the Elder Signs. Mandy should be good at hunting them down, at least.
Luke will "stand up" in the Dreamlands.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Ok, I think I have updated the investigators page correctly. I had a look at the other parts of the game and have a better idea of how this will be run now.

@Mr.Handy I wish I could say that I planned that but I didn't.

@Tabs I live in a different town to ProfToff, and I haven't spoken to him for a while, but I have prodded him on Facebook.

Tactics: before I saw that I had an elder sign in starting equipment (woohoo!) I was planning to try to get the cash to fulfil my personal story (which gives 3 clues and a blessing), I still might do that, it just depends on where the first gate opens up. If it is near, I might just hop in and close it.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Well, I have just seen the first post in the in character thread.

:roll:

There is a cultist and a vampire sitting on my doorstep outside the asylum. I could probably fight my way out using the one use items I have, but it seems a waste to do that on the first turn, so I think I will just sit tight for a turn and have an encounter in the asylum when it is my turn.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, Tabs! I found the images on the Arkham Horror wiki.

It's funny, but there was a severe hailstorm here tonight. :shock:

It's never a waste of time to clear the streets of monsters, especially when one of them is a Cultist, which can destroy Elder Signs. You won't be able to sneak past, as while the Cultist will leave you alone unless you specifically hunt it down, you'd still have to sneak past the Vampire. Either way, you'd have to pass a Sneak check, and your Sneak score is too low. However, I see how you can defeat both monsters with very little effort. You'll still need to pass a Horror check against the Vampire first, for which you want to maximize your Will, but then you can use the Flute of the Elder Gods to defeat both monsters! While you normally wouldn't be able to fight the Cultist, the Flute still affects it since it is in the same area.

There are two downsides to this. One is the -3 Stamina and -3 Sanity. The Sanity you can recover on your own, but the loss of Stamina is tougher. Using the Elder Sign later will result in you going unconscious, as it will cost your last Stamina point, unless you heal first. You'd also lose an Item thanks to the hailstorm (I'd pick the Lucky Cigarette Case). However, I think the benefits are worth it. You or someone else would then be able to access the Gate later. If you do this, make sure you hold onto the Cultist monster trophy for as long as possible. We don't want Cutlists going back into the monster cup, or we'll see them again.

It's a shame the monsters moved. Otherwise you could have destroyed all three with the Flute and entered the Gate on the first turn without getting caught in the hailstorm.

Waiting in the Asylum isn't a good move. There's only about a 1/3 chance the monsters will move again to let you leave, which means you'd probably be stuck for multiple turns unless someone else took out the Vampire, and you're best equipped to do it. Destroying the Cultist too is even better; most of us couldn't manage to find it, but the Flute makes it unnecessary. Sticking around in the Asylum won't help us win.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer, I agree with everything Mr. Handy says, however there is another factor: Carolyn's Disguise skill (exhaust to succeed at an Evade check). Maybe, if someone nabbed the Vampire, Carolyn could catch the Elusive Cultist . . . Of course, the doom clock is ticking.
Edit: Yibb-Tstll is all-seeing--difficulty of Evade checks increased by 1--bugger!

BlackSmoke, what are your plans for Michael?--he's too far away from Carolyn to help her, and the Vampire has Physical Resistance.
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

I don`t mean to sound churlish but there is no way I am going to play an entire game of Arkham Cursed, it can be bloody frustrating as it is! I will retire Rex the first round and take my pick from a new choice.
ps. sorry the delay in replying. My lad managed to throw my netbook on the floor and break the keyboard & wireless adaptor, net result using USB keyboard, plugged into router, sat on kid's bedroom floor. He is my personal GOO. :x :x
Last edited by ProfToff on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackSmoke
Layman
Layman

Post by BlackSmoke »

I was going to head to the store to spend some cash. There's not much else I can do bar collect clues. Perhaps I should start picking them up from the bottom of the board before gates gobble them up!
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

umm after the initial dismay and disbelief I had a think about my options. It seems if I ever close a gate I wil immeditely fail my story. So my only option for removing curse is 10 Toughness but maybe if I chose my monsters wisely and I can possibly do this looking at the kick arse items I got. So it looks like I will be on clearing the streets from now on.

I might as well start with the Vamp & Cultist (however if he eludes me no worries)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ProfToff, we are posting a phase at a time (so Upkeep only) and in player order and in the "Kingsport Horror (ic)" topic. You are the last player, BTW. :)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I spilt coffee on my laptop's keyboard, luckily I have an old "tower" PC--it sure does hum.

BlackSmoke, you're next to post in the "Kingsport Horror (ic)" topic--go ahead with Michael's Upkeep. Shop or collect a Clue this turn--you choose.

ProfToff, Carolyn is probably gonna use her "Flute" on the Vampire and Cultist . . .
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Tabs wrote:Carolyn is probably gonna use her "Flute" on the Vampire and Cultist . . .
I guess so, it just seems like calling in a tactical nuke on a machine gun.
Mr. Handy wrote:It's never a waste of time to clear the streets of monsters, especially when one of them is a Cultist, which can destroy Elder Signs.
It is this which swings it.
Mr. Handy wrote:You'll still need to pass a Horror check against the Vampire first
Would I? According to the Flue rules, it just looks like a regular horror check?
Flute of the Outer Gods Clarification wrote:You must pass a Horror Check before using the Flute. If there are more than one monster in your area, you only need to pass one Horror Check.
http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Flute_of_the_Outer_Gods
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, you must only make a Horror check against one of the monsters (I should have said "make" a Horror check, not "pass" it; you can still use the Flute even if you fail), and it is just a regular Horror check. The Cultist wouldn't cost you any Sanity. However, you'd have to actually find the Cultist first before you can encounter it, which means you're stuck with the Horror check against the Vampire. With two successes needed on an Evade check, finding the Cultist is nearly impossible. It's a good thing you have the Flute, or we might never flush it out. Fortunately, the Vampire has a +0 modifier to its Horror check, and with high enough Will that should be doable. Even if you fail, you'll have enough Sanity to use the Flute and still have one point left. After that, you'll be slowly recovering Sanity.

For those with nothing better to do, don't forget that we need someone to go to Kingsport and keep the rifts in check. Anyone can manage that, even Rex with his Curse.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 5 - Kingsport Horror”