Arkham Horror chat (ooc)

In the sleepy town of Kingsport, unspeakable horror hides awaiting its time. Not only does Tulzscha run rampant, but it also blazes a trail for Yibb-Tstll. Five ordinary people from various walks of life will try to prevent it from destroying all they hold dear. Will they succeed?

Moderator: Tabs

ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Arkham Horror chat (ooc)

Post by ProfToff »

I will go for Another Dimension, I will have a single dice to try and catch that cultist, can I use the re-roll ability or is someone else going to have a go at the Cultist.

We need a couple of monster surges to keep the doom track stationary. When I have sealed the gate I'll get reading the Necronomicon for a spell or two.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer wrote:
Tabs wrote:A Rumor, fantastic! Luke has 2 Spells, he could buy another, and if he was given 2 more. . . .
When I read that I thought that you meant that it was good. I am still not sure. Also: I think you only need to discard 4 spells, not 5:
No, I was being sarcastic, honest--what's the smilie for it, :roll: ?
...if a single player discards 3 spells (4 if there are 5 or more players)...
4 Spells it is.
ProfToff wrote: We need a couple of monster surges to keep the doom track stationary. When I have sealed the gate I'll get reading the Necronomicon for a spell or two.
We're bound to have a few monster surges heading our way; Luke and Michael can dish out slaughter to the bad guys. I forgot the Necronomicon, together we can beat the Rumor. Also, Yibby is "All Seeing"--increases the difficulty of Evade checks by 1.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yeah, you can't catch the Cultist with only one die, since you need two successes. My ability only allows you to reroll failed dice, and I'll probably need it for one of the Other World Encounters anyway.

Even better than monster surges would be if a Gate fails to open because of one of our Elder Signs (as long as it's not a gate burst!). That would keep the Doom track steady without flooding Arkham with monsters, and it would also help towards my Personal Story, which will automatically seal a Gate if it succeeds. Things are not as hopeless as they look, and it's worth stopping the Rumor (which will also make Cultists easier to kill if you can find them). I don't think the Doom track will fill up any time soon (unless we get something like Anomalies again). There are only 11 unstable locations. Two of them have Elder Signs, and most of the others have open Gates already. The problem we have is too many open Gates at once awakening the Ancient One. There are five players, so six open Gates at once will do it. Right now there are five. Still, most of the unstable locations without them don't come up too much, but we'd better get to sealing Gates fast, or it's bound to happen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

fair enough, I'll do The Dreamlands instead then, someone else needs to do the Cultist then
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Other World Encounter
Unknown Kadath (Other)
A glimmer of gold catches your eye. Gain $2.

The Dreamlands
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ProfToff wrote: buggerbugger bugger LiTaS for me, what do I lose again, is it half items and clues?
Yes, half clues and items, rounded up; LiTaS--miss a turn. When Rex returns to Arkham, meet up with Luke, and we'll deal with the Rumor.
Edit
actually I might as well use some clues to try and save this situation rather than lose clues AND items.
Clue 1 = 1d6.hits(5)=1
Huzzah! (Wow 6 rolls made in the 20 so minutes since I made mine, busy site)
Be no seal unless I get lucky next encounter or someone can get a clue to me somehow peeps.
Hooray! Cannot trade Clue tokens, unfortunately.

It is Turn 9, Peacehammer is the first player.

Luke will pick up the Clue at Hibb's. Michael?--he could go to Kingsport--swap places with Carolyn.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Tabs wrote:
ProfToff wrote:Be no seal unless I get lucky next encounter or someone can get a clue to me somehow peeps.
Hooray! Cannot trade Clue tokens, unfortunately.
Actually, I have research materials which counts as a clue, but is an item so can be traded. It will take me two turns to get down to The Unnamable where Rex will be coming out, but I don't see an alternative.

Tabs wrote:It is Turn 9, Peacehammer is the first player.

Luke will pick up the Clue at Hibb's. Michael?--he could go to Kingsport--swap places with Carolyn.
Following from the above, seems like a good idea. Other than getting rid or rift markers, there doesn't seem to be a lot going on in Kingsport.

Edit: Ok, done. I see from the Mythos card that the gate didn't open because it was on an Elder sign - woohoo.

Toff, do you want the Necronomicon? Since we are meeting up and trading, is there any chance that I could have it? I have a higher lore than you so am more likely to pass the test. If we are going to try and shut off that spell thing, we will need more spells.
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Peacehammer wrote:Actually, I have research materials which counts as a clue, but is an item so can be traded. It will take me two turns to get down to The Unnamable where Rex will be coming out, but I don't see an alternative.
You read my mind Al!
Peacehammer wrote:Toff, do you want the Necronomicon? Since we are meeting up and trading, is there any chance that I could have it? I have a higher lore than you so am more likely to pass the test. If we are going to try and shut off that spell thing, we will need more spells.
Not a problem mate, I'd rather kick some @rae and may just spend me some gate trophies :D
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer wrote:Actually, I have research materials which counts as a clue, but is an item so can be traded. It will take me two turns to get down to The Unnamable where Rex will be coming out, but I don't see an alternative.
Great thinking, well done.

Peacehammer, Michael will go to Train Station as well, he's gonna be a rift marker remover, so d'ya want to trade Tommy Gun + Dark Cloak for Dynamite?
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Tabs wrote:Peacehammer, Michael will go to Train Station as well, he's gonna be a rift marker remover, so d'ya want to trade Tommy Gun + Dark Cloak for Dynamite?
OH SO VERY MUCH YES!!!

In the dark streets of Arkham, gibbering beasties assault both the minds and bodies of the inhabitants.

There is only one person able to combat them both.

Armed with her wits and a Tommy Gun, Carolyn Fern is:

The Psychologist!

@Tabs, I have seen that you have made the trade and didn't want to write anything to speak for my character. Same goes for me, but I thought that I would give it a stab anyway. Let me know if I have taken the wrong tone or anything.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great idea, Peacehammer! Luckily, Rex goes first next turn, so you won't get sucked through the Gate as long as he succeeds in sealing it.

Rex will fail his Personal Story if he drops down to 0 Clues, but there's nothing that can be done about it. We need to seal that Gate. Just don't get Cursed twice, and you won't be able to get a Blessing.

My own Personal Story is now 1/5 of the way to success. Four more and we get to seal an extra Gate for free.

I played a game of Arkham Horror once where I was Carolyn Fern and started with a Tommy Gun (it was Episode 3 on this board). That was a lot of fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer wrote:@Tabs, I have seen that you have made the trade and didn't want to write anything to speak for my character. Same goes for me, but I thought that I would give it a stab anyway. Let me know if I have taken the wrong tone or anything.
Tone is fine; it's good stuff!

Arkham Encounter
Train Station (KH) [Carolyn]
"I'll swap you for one of these." Discard one Common Item or one Unique Item of your choice. Then draw one Item of the type you discarded.

Hibb's
Pass a Luck (-1) check or a pickpocket cleans you out! Lose all your money.

Train Station (KH) [Michael]
You step up to a waiting cab just as a well-dressed traveller does. "I'm headed that way, too," says the other man. "The fare's on me." Move to any street or Arkham location and have an encounter there.--Is Michael allowed to journey to Kingsport? If so he'll go to Congregational Hospital and restore 1 Stamina; otherwise he'll stay put.

Other World Encounter
The Dreamlands (Other)
The weight of worlds presses down on you. Lose 1 Stamina.

Unknown Kadath
Image--Good God!
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

We seriously need to pass that test! That is one nasty card
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Tabs wrote:Arkham Encounter
Train Station (KH) [Carolyn]
"I'll swap you for one of these." Discard one Common Item or one Unique Item of your choice. Then draw one Item of the type you discarded.
No trade.

I don't think that it is likely that I would get anything from the common item deck that would be better than what I have.

Tabs wrote:Other World Encounter
The Dreamlands (Other)
The weight of worlds presses down on you. Lose 1 Stamina.

Unknown Kadath
Image--Good God!
Who is that other card for? I thought that Rex is the only one who is in another world at the moment?

@Tabs, I have just been reading some of the older posts, plus older Arkham adventures on here which have happened. It just struck me how much effort you are putting into running this. Thank a lot for everything that you are doing here.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That was for me; Mandy is in Unknown Kadath. Unfortunately, I had to blow a Clue to pass that roll. I could still close the Gate, but I won't be sealing it now. That card really is nasty. Of all them, that one had to come up... :evil:

We can still win if Rex seals that third Gate. Luke only needs one more Clue, as he'll get two more going through an Other World, and he can seal a fourth Gate. I just need a fifth Clue, and my Personal Story can seal one more Gate on top of that. If anyone has $5 or more, it might be a good idea to go shopping and hope for an Elder Sign. I only have $4, but I can give it to someone else who can then have a try.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer wrote:@Tabs, I have just been reading some of the older posts, plus older Arkham adventures on here which have happened. It just struck me how much effort you are putting into running this. Thank a lot for everything that you are doing here.
Thanks. It is worth it when players make an effort as well, like you and ProfToff, isn't that so, Mr. Handy?
Mr. Handy wrote: We can still win if Rex seals that third Gate. Luke only needs one more Clue, as he'll get two more going through an Other World, and he can seal a fourth Gate. I just need a fifth Clue, and my Personal Story can seal one more Gate on top of that.
Well, after Rex returns, and Carolyn reads the Necromonicon, and if Luke joins up with the other two, we'll have a pool of 5 Spells from which to choose 4; and if we pass the Rumor, we'll all receive 2 Clue tokens (there are 3 turns, after this one, to do it). If, if, if. . . . Luke and Mandy can seal gates, Rex and Carolyn can keep the streets clean, Michael can remove rift markers, and the investigators save the world--easy!
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Tabs wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote: We can still win if Rex seals that third Gate. Luke only needs one more Clue, as he'll get two more going through an Other World, and he can seal a fourth Gate. I just need a fifth Clue, and my Personal Story can seal one more Gate on top of that.
Well, after Rex returns, and Carolyn reads the Necromonicon, and if Luke joins up with the other two, we'll have a pool of 5 Spells from which to choose 4; and if we pass the Rumor, we'll all receive 2 Clue tokens (there are 3 turns, after this one, to do it). If, if, if. . . . Luke and Mandy can seal gates, Rex and Carolyn can keep the streets clean, Michael can remove rift markers, and the investigators save the world--easy!
You make it sound so simple.

Mr. Handy wrote:That was for me; Mandy is in Unknown Kadath. Unfortunately, I had to blow a Clue to pass that roll. I could still close the Gate, but I won't be sealing it now. That card really is nasty. Of all them, that one had to come up... :evil:
Oh, I missed that. For some reason I thought that you could only be in another world on the board that you are playing on, but I see that it is whatever gate comes out of the box.
Mr. Handy wrote:We can still win if Rex seals that third Gate. Luke only needs one more Clue, as he'll get two more going through an Other World, and he can seal a fourth Gate. I just need a fifth Clue, and my Personal Story can seal one more Gate on top of that. If anyone has $5 or more, it might be a good idea to go shopping and hope for an Elder Sign. I only have $4, but I can give it to someone else who can then have a try.
I have $5, but while it is possible to get an Elder sign from the shop they are quite rare and I have found it to be a little hit and miss when shopping. Do we have time to spend looking for one? Unless we have a couple of people searching at the same time?

But then, do we have a choice? There are't that many clue tokens on the board, so I guess we might need to have one.

I think my next turn will involve going to Rivertown, and assuming they are still there, taking out the Gug and Elder Thing.

Mandy, just a thought; after you close the gate you still get the gate token, so you could hop over to the science building and swap the gate token for clues to seal the next gate. Even if we are going to dis-spell the rumour, that will still give you clue tokens for more re-rolls.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I'm confusing myself and, probably, everyone else. First, let's see what mayhem the next mythos card brings. . . . Next turn, Rex returns to The Unammable, and Carolyn should move there too, then, trade Necronomicon for Research Materials. During the Arkham Encounters Phase Rex seals the gate and Carolyn has an encounter. However, if Rex doesn't seal the gate, Carolyn will be sucked through it to The Dreamlands.--Simples

Has Rex deducted 1 Stamina for his Turn 9, Other World Encounter? I'll post the Mythos Phase tomorrow morning.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Tabs wrote:
Peacehammer wrote:@Tabs, I have just been reading some of the older posts, plus older Arkham adventures on here which have happened. It just struck me how much effort you are putting into running this. Thank a lot for everything that you are doing here.
Thanks. It is worth it when players make an effort as well, like you and ProfToff, isn't that so, Mr. Handy?
It sure is! This is a lot of fun, and all of us contribute in our own way.

Michael could go to St. Mary's and heal all of his Stamina.

I can't go to the Science Building. There's a Gate to R'lyeh and a Dark Young sitting there. No, my best bet is to stay in the Woods and keep my explored token. I won't do anything during the Encounter phases until you guys beat the Rumor, but I'll be able to seal the Gate at that point. Just try to make it quick. ;)

If Rex needs it, I'll use my Research ability so he can reroll for sealing the Gate next turn.

Shopping for Elder Signs is definitely worth it if you have nothing better to do. We've gone through a number of other Unique Items already so far, so there's a greater chance now. Even if you don't get an Elder Sign, you'll get something useful.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy wrote:Michael could go to St. Mary's and heal all of his Stamina.
That's a good idea, which I hadn't thought of, however Michael only has $2, so he'd have to trade for more cash and he wouldn't reach Kingsport until Turn 12.

Return to “Episode 5 - Kingsport Horror”