Kingsport Horror (ic)

In the sleepy town of Kingsport, unspeakable horror hides awaiting its time. Not only does Tulzscha run rampant, but it also blazes a trail for Yibb-Tstll. Five ordinary people from various walks of life will try to prevent it from destroying all they hold dear. Will they succeed?

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Kingsport Horror (ic)

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3600787/]Lore check (Lore 3 - 1 [Great Hall of Celeano] = 2 dice) to close and seal the Gate (2d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3600791/]Lore check (Lore 3 - 1 [Great Hall of Celeano] = 2 dice) to close and seal the Gate, reroll using Research (2d6.hits(5)=1)[/url]. 5 Clue tokens spent to seal the Gate. Gate trophy claimed. Phew indeed! :D Don't forget to deduct [b]Luke[/b]'s Sanity for failing the Horror check against the Ghost.
Turn 4 Movement, Great Hall of Celeano (2nd area)->Black Cave

Mandy finally finds another swirling vortex in a hidden corner of the great library. Without a second thought, she leaps into it.

Turn 4 Arkham Encounter, Black Cave
Mandy stumbles through the portal and lands on her hands and knees on the floor of the cave in front of it, right where she had left. The winds have calmed down now, and the air is no longer trying to suck her back through. She stands and faces the gateway to the strange world that she has just left. "Let's see if I know enough to shut this thing for good," she says to herself. She begins to chant in a low voice, in a long-forgotten tongue. The knowledge she had gained from her research at Miskatonic University, the things she had seen on the other side of the gate, and her study of the cave itself enable her to channel the mysterious energies that allow it to bridge the gap between worlds - and to destroy that bridge. When she completes the ritual, the vortex shrinks down until it is a mere point, and then it vanishes as if it had never been there! "Yes!" she exults, thrusting her fist into the air. She is so overjoyed at her success that she fails to notice the trail of viscous slime leading away from where the gate had once been and out of the cave mouth...
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by ProfToff »

Upkeep(Focus 2)
Speed up 1/Fight up 1
Speed/Sneak: 4/2 (4/5)
Fight/Will : 4/0 (4/3)
Lore/Luck : 3/3 (5/4)

Movement
Asylum>>Downtown>>Merchant Dist.>>Rivertown>>Black cave
Fight Star Spawn
Horror check 0 - 3 = Fail, lose 2 San (down to 3)
Exhaust Brazier
Combat check 4(S) + 8(I) + 1(S) - 3(CM) = 10

I have still had no reply from Tech support at Invisible Castle, the dice roller and still cannot get a validation email. Does anyone mind if I carry on doing as test user. I honestly would never cheat, that would take the fun away. Don't mind if I do on another site however or even in BGG and link to it.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tabs »

Turn 4, Upkeep
Fight up to 6, Will down to 1.
Movement: Uptown -> Misk. U. -> Merch. Dist. -> Rivertown -> Easttown
ImageImage Combat modifier "-X" (1d6=5), nuts! Horror check--auto fail, lose 3 Sanity, however, instead, discard Obsidian Statue. Combat check 6 +6 -5 =7, [-Physical Resistance] =4d6 vs. Crawling One (1d6=3, 1d6=5, 1d6=2, 1d6=3); success!
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Gate: R'lyeh
Doom token added to doom track (4).
ImageImage ImageImage
Monster movement: Mi-Go -> Sky
Clue Appears At: 7th House on the Left
Rift progress marker--Rope and Anchor (white sq. and diamond; black circle).
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Upkeep(Focus 2)
Speed up 1/Fight up 1
Speed/Sneak: 4/2 (4/5)
Fight/Will : 4/0 (4/3)
Lore/Luck : 3/3 (5/4)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 5, Upkeep
Speed up to 3, Sneak down to 1.
Movement
Woods -> Library
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

[quote="Peacehammer"]Image

SANITY 6/6
STAMINA 2/4

Turn 5 upkeep - switch to SPEED/SNEAK 2 /1

Turn 5 movement, move to 7th House on the left.

Turn 5 encounter

The more that Carolyn faced these odd things, she seemed to be getting a feel for it. This thought both made her feel more secure in her ability to take on these creatures, and more afraid that she was getting inured to them.

Drawn to a certain street, outside the 7th house on the left was a pleasant looking old lady out watering her roses in an unhurried manner. Walking past the house the lady spoke to Carolyn "These roses won't last long if this blight keeps up", surprised at being spoken to without introduction, Carolyn mumbled something about dead-heading the bad ones allowing the others to grow.

The old lady introduces herself as Gladys Pickman, and lacking any other pressing matter, Carolyn started helping out with the garden. In some indefinable way, creating order from the garden seemed to reduce the pressure that she had been feeling.

While working, Gladys chatted about the different goings-on in the area like a professional gossip dropping hints about the problems and odd happenings.

Having sorted out the roses, and helped move the trimmings away to the compost, Carolyn was about to make her excuses and leave when Gladys said "I can't thank you enough for helping me with the garden, now I can't let you go without taking tea. I have home-made biscuits..."

Pick up a clue, flip rift marker for 7th house on the left, and delayed for next turn
Last edited by Peacehammer on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Alright, guess since I'm on 3 clues and get the extra one I might as well pick up a clue and head for the gate at the unvisited! Over to you on the Star Spawn Mike.

Movement
Asylum>>Downtown>>Eastown>>Hibb's Roadhouse
Pick up clue, get an extra up to 5
Have an encounter

After a therapuetic few hours with his shrink Rex was determined to get to the bottom of the whole Arkham mystery. Heading towards the Black Cave the scent of burgers caught his attention. The cave could wait and whilst he was waiting for his order to be served up what were the scrawlings on the back of the menu!!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Increase Luck from 1 to 3. Decrease Lore from 3 to 1. Does [b]MIchael McGlen[/b] want to trade anything when he visits the Black Cave? Is [b]Rex[/b] going to be able to find the Cultist when he goes to the Unvisited Isle? Also, where did he pick up a fourth Clue? I must have missed that.
Turn 5 Upkeep, Black Cave

Mandy heads for the cave mouth, a joyful skip in her step. She stops instantly when an ominous shadow outside falls across the entrance, causing her blood to run cold. She flattens herself against the cave wall and starts to hyperventilate, trying not to make any noise. Oh, God, don't let it find me... she thinks, clenching her eyes shut. Something cold and slimy slithers across the wall and brushes her shoulder. It is all she can do not to scream.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,[quote]Does MIchael McGlen want to trade anything when he visits the Black Cave?[/quote] He'd like the Dark Cloak--to help with Cultist hunting; Mandy can take $4 for her shopping trip anyhow, no matter if Michael does or does not get the Dark Cloak. [quote]Is Rex going to be able to find the Cultist when he goes to the Unvisited Isle? Also, where did he pick up a fourth Clue? I must have missed that.[/quote] Have you factored in Rex's ability?
Turn 5, Upkeep
No change.
Movement
Easttown -> Rivertown -> Black Cave
ImageImage
Horror check--auto fail, lose 2 Sanity. Combat check: 6 +8[Dynamite] -3 =11d6 (3 successes required) vs. Star Spawn (1d6=6, 1d6=1, 1d6=2, 1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=4, 1d6=1, 1d6=3, 1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=5), only 2 successes, lose 3 Stamina, reduced to 2 due to Michael's "Strong Body"; round two, Combat check: 6 +6 -3 =9d6 R2 vs. Star Spawn (1d6=2, 1d6=2, 1d6=1, 1d6=2, 1d6=1, 1d6=5, 1d6=3, 1d6=1, 1d6=5), oh, dear! lose 2 Stamina; round 3, 9d6 R3 vs. Star Spawn (1d6=6, 1d6=2, 1d6=4, 1d6=5, 1d6=1, 1d6=1, 1d6=4, 1d6=4, 1d6=1), lose 2 Stamina; round 4, 9d6 R4 vs. Star Spawn (1d6=1, 1d6=5, 1d6=4, 1d6=1, 1d6=5, 1d6=5, 1d6=5, 1d6=4, 1d6=6), thank God!

The dame appears at the entrance to the Black Cave, and Michael is about to flash a winning smile to her, when a winged horror flops between them. Michael's sideburns turn white, but he shakes his head violently, and spits out a greeting to the thing.

"Oi! maggot face, chew on this."

He touches his cigar tip to the fuse of dynamite--and waits as the fuse sparkles and burns down; the Star Spawn lumbers towards the gangster, who lobs the dynamite at it, and the dynamite explodes like a New Year Eve rocket. Michael congratulates himself on a job well done when a tentacle lashes his mug, forcing him to stagger: maggot face leers exultantly at him. He grabs his trusty tommy gun, and in pain, and panic, and anger he squeezes the trigger--just like Louis taught him to do. Rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat . . .
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'd forgotten about [b]Rex[/b]'s special ability. [b]Mandy[/b] gives [b]Michael[/b] the Dark Cloak and takes $4 from him. You should have asked me to use Research in the first round. One of those rerolled dice would have been bound to succeed. I'm going shopping, so I don't need it for myself. I'll need to see what Unique Items are for sale before I can have my encounter.
Turn 5 Movement, Black Cave->Rivertown->Merchant District->Northside->Curiositie Shoppe

Mandy emerges from the cave after the dust settles, her ears still ringing from the gunfire. She tries not to look at the huge mass of gore that had come so close to devouring her before the stranger had arrived and rescued her. "Thank you so much!" she says. "My name is Mandy Thompson. That...creature you killed, it is not of this world. This may sound hard to believe, but it comes from another world. These portals to other dimensions are opening up all over Arkham, and we have to seal them before something far worse comes through. I sealed the one in the cave, but not before that thing got here from the other side. I have to go now to find and shut the other gates, but first let me give you something to help." The tough man clearly has no need of weapons, as the submachine gun which is her namesake that he wields is more than sufficient. Instead, she takes off her dark cloak and hands it to him. "I don't have much, but you're welcome to it." She is surprised when the man pays her for the cloak, and far more than it is worth.

Now that she has more money, she heads across town to the Curiositie Shoppe to see what they're selling. She had bought her knife there some time ago, and they were bound to have other unusual artifacts that could help in her quest.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 5, Arkham Encounter, Library
Make a Will (+0) check and consult the chart below:
Successes:
0) Abigail tosses you out. Move to the street.
1) Abigail lets you into a private section of the library where you find an ancient tome. Draw 2 Spells and keep whichever one of them you want.
2+) Abigail loans you one of the strange items in the library's display case. Draw 1 Unique Item.
Will (+0) check in Library (1d6=6, 1d6=5, 1d6=1, 1d6=5, 1d6=3, 1d6=1), lovely, thank you.

Luke walks up to the books in/out desk.

"Excuse me, madam, but does the library have a section on astral travel, alternate dimensions . . . that sort of thing?"

"You look a bit old for fantasy books. What you want is over there, next to the 'Children's Library.'"

"Er, thank you."

The receptionist leans forward off of her chair, peers left, then right, and whispers:

"It's very quiet in here today, tell you what, I'll show you, Mr.? . . ."

"Robinson, Mr. Luke Robinson; Luke, please."

"Abigail."

She heads for a dark corner of the library, dutifully followed by Luke.

"Well, Luke, here we are, a sorry collection, I'm afraid--the quantity, not the quality; Blackwood, Machen, and a self-published pamphlet from Lovecraft."

Luke only has eyes for a sword in a display case atop the bookcase.

"Now that is impressive."

"Take it, as a loan, this is a lending library."
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Horror Check Shoggoth
Will 0 -1 = autofail (san down to 2, no dread curse for me)
Combat Check Shoggoth
Fight 4 (+1Skill) (+8Brazier) = 13 - 1CM = 12
12d6.hits(5)=7

phew, thought that was going to call for some clue tokens then but easy eh.

Hibbs sure made one fine treble quarterpounder and with a distinctly full gut Rex decided a call to the head round the back might be prudent before setting off on his way. Feeling both physically and mentally content he pulled his trousers down and sat on the wood over the hole.

Suddenly he felt something brush against his bare arse and he jumped up in shock. Looking down into the cess pool he could discern shapes that he may have assumed were feaces if not for the malevolant glint to the them suddenly the whole surface pushed upwards towards him and 2 tendrils shot out of the hole.

Rex gave out a shriek and staggered back, knocking into the sink and aprawling to the floor. The contents of his bag scattered across the floor and the brazier was within arms reach. Quivering with terror he set to striking matches to light it as a tendril wrapped around his leg and something beagan to push through the hole.

The brazier caught light quicky and as with the zombie the smoke seemed to coalesce around the awful tendrils and stream towards the hole. In total silence this time where the smoke wrapped itself turned insubstantial and eventually dissappeared leaving a deathly silence in its wake, broken only by Rex's stuttering breaths.

It took some time whilst lay there to realise that the awful stench was now coming from himself and his soiled pants. After cleaning himself up he vowed to ho tell his shrink about his latest encounter, hell what was it with this town!
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 5, Arkham Encounter, Black Cave
Rocks shift in the strange light. If you have a Lantern, you may move to the first area of any Other World of your choice. Otherwise, if you fail to pass a Luck (-2) check you are lost in time and space.
Auto fail the Luck check. Does Michael want to spend his Clues?--nah, he needs them for hunting Cultists. He is LiTaS, delayed, and loses his next turn.

Michael McGlen spins end over end, away into the ether, and is spectacularly sick.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 5, Arkham Encounter, Library

Luke strolls towards the Library exit clutching the sword. An ancient man, five foot nothing, and wearing a moth-eaten bell hop suit, stands in Luke's path.

"Stop right there, young man. That"--pointing at Gladius of Carcosa--"is property of Arkham Library. Kindly, sir, hand it over to me."

"And who the hell are you?"

"Library Security."

"Security?--pathetic!"

The security guard flushes crimson with rage.

"No one speaks to me like that! no one. Not even Jeb Stuart at Gettysburg."

"'Gettysburg'? Just how old are you?"

"Ninety three, and not too old to cuff an ornery whipper-snapper, like you."

Luke has had enough of the conversation, and cannot bear to hurt the old duffer's feelings any longer; he hands over the sword. The security guard marches triumphantly away; Luke snaffles a paper weight.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Mandy[/b] spends $8 and buys the Ancient Tablet.
Turn 5 Arkham Encounter, Curiosite Shoppe

Mandy strolls through the shelves of the store, looking at the bizarre and sometimes horrible objects on display. A yellowed manuscript draws her attention, but she recoils in terror when she realizes that it possesses the power to awaken Yibb-Tstll! That book should be destroyed! she thinks. However, she doesn't have enough money to buy the book just to destroy it and also purchase what she wants, so she leaves it, hoping that nobody will find it. She does, however, place it behind a row of books so that nobody is likely to even see it. There is also an odd blue pyramid made out of an unidentifiable substance. But it's an ancient stone tablet made of obsidian, carved with writing from a long-forgotten language, that captures her imagination. It's the most expensive thing in the shop, but also the most potentially useful. "I've seen writing like that," she says to herself, "in my preliminary studies in the library. I can translate it, given time." She purchases the tablet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Doom token added to doom track (5 of 11).
ImageImage ImageImage
Monster movement: Byakhee -> Sky, Shoggoth -> Miskatonic U.
Rift progress marker--North Point Lighthouse (white circle; black sq. and diamond).
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 6, Upkeep
Fight up to 2, Will down to 5.
Movement
Library -> Miskatonic U.
Horror check vs. Shoggoth (1d6=3, 1d6=4, 1d6=1, 1d6=5), success, but it's Nightmarish--lose 1 Sanity. Combat check vs. Shoggoth 2 +6 -1 (1d6=3, 1d6=2, 1d6=2, 1d6=6, 1d6=3, 1d6=5, 1d6=1), exhaust "Marksman" skill, re-roll vs. Shoggoth (1d6=5, 1d6=3, 1d6=3, 1d6=1, 1d6=5, 1d6=6, 1d6=3), got the 3 successes Luke needs, result!
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

SANITY 6/6
STAMINA 2/4

Turn 6 upkeep - switch to SPEED/SNEAK 3/0

Turn 6 everything else - delayed.
Last edited by Peacehammer on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Episode 5 - Kingsport Horror”