The Horror in the Heights (BRP/1920s)

Please post here if you have a game (that's not hosted here) that needs players.
Mort
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

The Horror in the Heights (BRP/1920s)

Post by Mort »

In the last ten years I have written 20 or so Call of Cthulhu scenarios, many of which fit together into two lengthy campaigns. I have decided to rewrite a selection of these and combine them into a anthology PDF for posterity and public consumption. As this process goes forward, more than a few of these scenarios need to be rewritten. Several have already been re-rewritten, work that was required once actual players came into contact with the stories, and these stories need the on-the-fly kinks worked out. Since the writing work began in earnest on 1 Oct thanks to a day off, I have decided to try my hand at PbP gaming to test out a few of these rewrites, especially the two scenarios at the beginning of the second campaign. The game I am advertising now is the first of these and will be played HERE.

Title: The Horror in the Heights
Blurb: When some of the belongings of a missing British aviator begin to surface in North Carolina, the investigators do what they do best.
Genre: Classic Lovecraft/Cthulhu/1920s
System: Call of Cthulhu BRP (5th or 6th edition texts will work fine)
Materials Needed: I have a handful of house rules related to making skill advancement easier and more frequent. I also use a kind of "story point system" to reward players. These will be posted in a "rules post" in the game forum. Additionally, I will have some character creation guidelines and suggestions when we get to the character creation portion of the game.
Description:

Several nights ago your dear friend Mr. Bennett was telephoned by an old acquaintance named Ben Wilder. This acquaintance has first-hand knowledge that the private possession of a recently missing British aeronaut has surfaced in a pawn shop in NC. Mr. Bennett is enlisting your aid to discover how this possession, a pocket altimeter, made it to the United States . . . and why the young man who went searching for the source of the altimeter is now missing.
I am looking for two or three people (maybe four) who are interested in giving this a shot. I will look at interested players' posting rate and posting style to be sure that they match mine (just as I would vet any potential players who would sit around my table). I am looking to post four or five times a week. I'd like to spend some time every night getting online, reading posts, and updating, but I know that for people with careers, that likely won't happen every night. I do, however, want to keep things moving.

I should warn you that these stories were designed specifically for our group and our play style, and consequently, they may absolutely suck in PbP. Likewise, I may absolutely suck as a PbP Keeper. I have thought through how I will run things differently in this format and have tried to keep PbP in mind in the rewrites, but I thought you should know. Praemonitus praemunitus, as they say. I should also warn you that I will likely not be able to recreate all of the media we had for this game when we first ran it six years ago, so the media that I will use (audio, videos, maps, etc.) was made by me and my players and may be old and embarrassingly sub-par. I now use students who are far more creative and tech savvy to make my gaming media.

So, who is interested? Post HERE if you'd like to join up with us.
Mort
Layman
Layman

Re: The Horror in the Heights (BRP/1920s)

Post by Mort »

Three positions have been filled already. We have room for one, possibly two more investigators.
Mort
Layman
Layman

Post by Mort »

It looks like we have a full table now. If you are still interested, surf on over to our forum and let me know. I'll do my best to fit you in as soon as a spot opens up.
Mort
Layman
Layman

Post by Mort »

The Horror in the Heights is now looking to add an additional player to the game.

Some details about the game: We have been running for about three months. We have four players and are averaging about 90 posts a month, with me (the Keeper) updating 5 or 6 times a week. If you are interested in this game, it is important that you be able to post almost daily.

What you need to know about the game so far: Virtually nothing. You will take on the role of someone at the Carolina Aeronautics Club in Kitty Hawk, NC. You will have a piece of information that the investigators will need (which I will give you) and will join the investigation with them that way. If you want to read the story so far, feel free: http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/in ... oard=521.0

If history is any indication, this opening should fill pretty quickly. If you are interested, please post here: http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/in ... pic=6690.0 . Player selection will not be exactly "first come, first served," but I intend to move on filling this opening pretty quickly.
Mort
Layman
Layman

Post by Mort »

The role is now filled. If you are still interested, post in that thread and I'll add you to the waiting list (if we have further need of expansions and/or players drop).

Return to “Non Play@YSDC Game Needs Players”