Return To Sender

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Return To Sender

Post by HoneyDog »

Andre pokes his head over the hood of the truck, ears ringing from the grenade blast. Cautiously, he gets up and takes stock of the situation.

Vanessa? Jose?” he calls out.

Going to the body of the nearest gunman, he begins to strip him of his rifle and ammunition, and any explosives he might possess.

He shouts at the guards.

“We got three more of them to deal with. Can you make it?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm fine," says Vanessa, slotting in a new shell to replace the one she fired and going over to the bodies to search them. "Let's armor up while we're at it too. Their Kevlar's much better than ours. Then we can go after Galt and his two remaining goons. He's probably going after Turner, but we'll be able to tell for sure on the security monitors. Galt can't be killed permanently, but maybe we can bring him down and chuck his body in that incinerator. It should cramp his style at the very least."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Andre nods.

"Let's get to the cameras and see where they are. We should also disable the 'copter to make sure they can't use it. Jose, can you see if Drake is able to get us some reinforcements anytime soon?"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Jose nods. "When I told him, he said we should expect reinforcements with a half an hour or so." It had been maybe ten minutes so far.

"We could call the tribal police," Greg suggests, groggily getting to his feet. "Though I'm not sure how long it would take the to get here. I could also try to contact the rest of security, see how everyone is holding up. As for me, honestly I feel like shit. I'm pretty sure one of my ribs is broken. But after seeing what they did to Kevin... I'll do what I can. I can't stand idly by while my friends and coworkers are getting massacred."

After a moment of hesitation, the other two guards also nod.

It is then that the severity of the moment hits Andre. He had been ambushed, shot at, and ultimately had to kill a man.
Andre,I should have done this during combat, but believe Andre owes some san rolls for violence as he's not immune. Please make three. Ambused by gunfire: 0/1 loss. Shot: 0/1d4. Kill an enemy in defense: 0/1d4. For everyone you fail without hitting your san breaking point, make a check; at three you become hardened to violence. I'll leave it for you to rp out how badly this all affects him.
Andre notices that all three commandos rifles are still functional and have plenty of ammunition. They're also capable of burst fire. The pistols seem to be a similar model to the guards.
OOC:   Rifles do 1d12 and can burst fire(potentially hitting everyone with 4 meters or so), pistols do 1d10.  
Oh perhaps more interest is the fact that each of the remaining guards possess a single fragmentation grenade each.
OOC:   These require a throw roll and do 4d6.  
Lastly of course is the guards armor. Two of the heavy Kevlar vests are still functional.They may be cumbersome however, and it would take a few moments to remove them from the bodies and put them on. They also had army helmets.
OOC:   The Kevlar vests protect against up to 8 points of damage. The helmets protect against up to 5 points of damage on head shots. If you put on the vests it will be assume dot take a few minutes however, which might be an issue if you want to hurry.  
As Vanessa speaks, Jose leans against the wall. "Are we sure this Galt can't be killed? And if he can't be killed, can we even hope to incapacitate him? I don't want to go on a suicide mission here." But if instructed, he will go check out the security cameras.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

SAN,SAN 55 Can I dispute the first one? It was Andre who actually opened fire first. He’s an experienced SWAT & HRT agent, so I don’t think it would be such a problem for him. For being shot: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/859899]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]30[/b] For killing: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/859900]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]20[/b]
Andre is buzzing from the action, and hardly wants to slow down. He eyes the dead commandos’ Kevlar with doubt as he reloads the rifle.

“We could use it but then we might get shot by our own guys too.”

He turns to the guards.

“Yes, get in touch with the other security in the main building. Do you have radios we can use? Jose, if you monitor the screens, you can guide us to where these other gunmen are. We can set up an ambush for them and use the grenades. The rest of you, take the other rifle and try to take out the helicopter. Disable it or kill the pilot or make him leave. Just don’t let them use it to escape. After that, join us.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa takes one of the grenades. She was always good at softball, and her throwing skills would work just as well with a grenade. "I don't know if Galt can be defeated or not, I've never tried," she says. "He certainly deserves to be incinerated, though. He's a Nazi leader who once held a school bus full of children hostage. I wouldn't bring in the tribal police, they're not equipped to deal with this. They'd just get killed, even if they did get here in time. Our backup team is a better bet. The rest of the security team is already on scene, however, and they can certainly help."
OOC,DG doesn't have a Throw skill, but I guess it would fall under Athletics.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Andre,Sure, that works. I forgot you shot first.

Greg pulls out his radio and steps away, trying to get through to the other security.

Jose
nods. "I'll check out the security room and see where everyone is. I think that's for the best, really-- not sure I can keep fighting." Unless someone else says something, he heads off.
OOC:   So no one is taking the armor or helmets? Andre is taking the rifle, and Vanessa one of the grenades? Can I just get a brief idea of who you are sending where? I presume Vanessa an dAndre are heading towards the admin building. Are you bringing any guards with you? And who do you want to send to the helicopter? As far as you know, it's empty.

Also, yes athletics would be what is called for to throw a grenade. I was using the original CoC rules which this was written for.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   I suggested Jose watch the monitors, while the three guards deal with the helicopter. Vanessa and Andre go to the admin building. Andre will share whatever grenades there are with Vanessa, and encourage her to take the spare rifle. He wants radios so that they can keep in contact with Jose. He’s hoping that once Jose has located Galt and his men, he and Vanessa will be able to ambush them using the grenades. Andre doesn’t want the armour, thinking that it might get them mistaken for Galt’s men.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I definitely want a rifle if there's one left. I had thought the group going for the helicopter was taking it. I'd also like at least a helmet, and I'm good with taking the armor too if there's time. It's worn under the clothes, and while it's obvious that I'll be wearing it, there's nothing about that that says we're with [b]Galt[/b]. It would be nice if the chopper could be rigged to explode if it tries to take off rather than just destroying it, if anyone has the skills to do that. Cutting off these guys' retreat will make them more desperate, but if they think they have an escape route, they might just blow themselves up. There's also always the Plan B of having them shot down once they reach Canadian airspace.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I thought there were 3 rifles in total, if theres only 2 now Vanessa should have one. If the body armour is as heavy-duty as described, it would be too big to wear under clothes. The men are obviously trying to wipe out the whole complex if they can, and so may not want to leave until that is accomplished. I don’t think that we will be able to force them to leave so that their helicopter can be sabotaged. The only people who might have the skills to do that are the 3 guards here; we’re not in a position to go looking for someone else who might be able to do it. It’s a lot simpler just to ambush Galt and his men – we have the advantage of being able to use the security system to locate them. But if we leave the helicopter alone then, the 3 guards can reinforce Vanessa and Andre. Let's not disable it for now.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Vanessa[/b]'s a woman, so I don't think anyone's going to mistake her for one of [b]Galt[/b]'s men, especially if the guards come with us. She'll wear the armor if we can spare the time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sure! We need time to prepare radio communications. One of the guards can have the other armour then if they like. While Vanessa is preparing, Andre will look at the screens to see what is happening, and try to work out an ambush site.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Sorry for any confusion on my end-- It's not specified, but after looking up heavy duty Kevlar it seems a safe bet it's worn over the clothes, so it would be noticeable. As for if you'd have time to strip the two goons who did not blow themselves up, that's entirely up to you, but I will note that you seem to have repulsed the attack and be out of immediate danger for at least the next few minutes. The combat helmets can also be taken, and in a much quicker timeframe, though they will only really protect against head shots. If none of you want it but don't rush them, one of the guards will take the armor.

As for the rifle, Vanessa can take one, but I'll just point out her shotgun does 2d6 while the rifle does 1d12. It's up to you if that's a good trade. Since Jose seems to be staying put(to his relief) he'll offer his shotgun to anyone who wants it.  
Greg returns a moment later."I reached Garrison-- he and the other Gemstone guards have all joined up in Sapphire with the researchers there. So far no one's tried to breech, and they're going to hold the line there."

Jose and Andre return to the security office. In their absence a grizzly sight has emerged; no less than four guards now lay dead in the reception office.

The first floor of the admin building also shows signs of chaos. Two more guards are down. Galt is visible on the camera. He's strolling down the hallway almost casually, wearing no visible armor. A portly man wearing lab coat rushes by him; without looking, Galt raises his gun and shots the man dead. He enters Lab 6, where the Sapphire experiments are being kept, and disappears from view.

Meanwhile, his two commandos are on the other side of the floor. They open the door to the data processing and computer center for ABC. They start to fire their rifles at whomever is inside, though mercifully the camera fails to pick this up.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Andre grunts in irritation – he’d hoped their adversaries had stayed together.

Jose, I’ll need a running commentary on their movements until I tell you otherwise.”

He makes sure that Jose is able to work the radio and that their communications are working. Returning to the others, he updates them as to what is happening.

“If they’re still split up when we reach the admin building, let’s see if we can move on the two gunmen first, and get the leader afterwards. Forget the 'copter for now. We’ve got reinforcements on the way – ETA fifteen minutes. Let’s get going!”
OOC:   Is it possible to get the maps in a separate thread?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Agreed, good plan," says Vanessa, already moving with Andre.
OOC,I prefer the rifle because of its burst capability and its greater chance of rolling significantly higher damage than the goons' armor. I'll give one of the guards the shotgun. I'll definitely put on a helmet, and if [b]Andre[/b] is willing to take the time, I'll put on the armor.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Perhaps we can assume Vanessa puts on the armour while Jose and Andre were arranging the radio comms.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Maps are up. We can also assume that Vanessa has time to put on the armor. It takes a few minutes, but so does going back and looking at the security monitors, etc. If Andre does not want any of the armor one of the guards will take it. We'll say Greg. He'll also take Jose's shotgun. If Vanessa wants to switch to a rifle, Harry will gladly accept her shotgun as well. Ross will take the spare rifle if Andre doesn't want it.

Speaking of rifles, bursts work a little differently in DG; essentially they don't typically roll for damage but have a lethality rating, generlly 10%. If you roll at or under it, anyone hit by it drops to 0 hp. Otherwise you add up the results and do that much damage. So if you rolled a 98 you'd do 9+8 damage for 17. I'm fine using this system, or you guys can just roll for 3 or 5 shots if the attack hits depending on burst. I think we used this for when you were fighting ghouls earlier, largely because I disagreed with the book's interpretation-- as written ghouls take 1 damage from firearm attacks, but I reasoned if one shot does that, firing a burst at them should do a larger amount of damage. The downside is even rolling for 3 shots it may be tough to penetrate the guard's armor, if only because each shot would be its own thing realistically uninfluenced by the others.

To make a long rant short, I'm fine using either system for determining damage depending on what you both prefer. And if this has made you decide to keep a shotgun let me know and I can change that back as well.

Post up tomorrow, just wanting to get this bookkeeping out of the way first. :)  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Yes, Andre is carrying the rifle. Even though the rifle bullets may not penetrate armour at close range, realistically speaking they would still incapacitate the wearer to some degree, especially if the wearer is hit by multiple rounds from several weapons.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'm good with using the DG rules as written for burst fire. It will stand a better chance of penetrating the armor, and it can kill them outright if we're lucky. I'll take the rifle, one of the grenades, the armor, and the helmet, and I'll let [b]Harry[/b] have the shotgun.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Understood. I placed the specs for the rifles in the equipment thread, but for simplicity sake I'll also list them here-- Galt's Commandos rifles: 1d12, range: 50, Lethality: 10%. Ammo: 15. Can fire Bursts or Spreads.  
Things sorted, the team makes their way back outside. A few cars are heading towards the front gate, terrified workers visible inside. There seems to be no rush to stop them-- perhaps Galt doesn't care if some survive, or he merely has too few men to deal with the stragglers.
OOC:   Sorry for the short post, but would someone please roll me a luck roll?  

Return to “Delta Green: S-Cell”