Return To Sender

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Return To Sender

Post by Silver Priest »

Vanessa spends the next few months trying to forget. Forget the things she saw in the Night Floors, the thought of which still brings her terror. And forgetting the fate of Nik, her longtime partner who had met his end when he tried to go against Stephen Alzis.

Snoopy was a lazy dog, but affectionate enough, and Rex adapted to him quickly. Malcolm was still affectionate and Vanessa tried to love him, even if it did not come so naturally anymore. Their wedding was approaching quickly as well; the end of November, with a honeymoon planned right after. Maybe then her life could finally get back to normal.

Of course, when the email arrives from Delta Green it reminds her that things may very well never be normal again.
November 4th, 2000
Subject: A Night at the Opera

Congratulations! You have won tickets to a Night at the Opera! Take the first flight tomorrow out of LaGuardia to Berkley, California. A car will be waiting to deliver you to your destination. We look forward to seeing you.

If asked about it, McRay claims ignorance. "I've just received a terse request to cover for your absence in the next week, which tells me this is important. That you need to go halfway across the country for work suggests you've won confidence from someone in A-Cell, so there's that. I suspect you'll have some backup for this one, given the unfortunate circumstances concerning Agent Siilasvuo. Be careful. " He seems sincere in saying this. "And good luck."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Return To Sender

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, sir," says Vanessa. "It's nice to be appreciated. I'll do my best."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Just come back alive, Agent." McRay says.

November 5th, 2000

The next day finds Vanessa taking a Red Eye flight out to California; counting in a brief layover, she should be arriving there soon after 10:00 AM. Jose is with her, of course. He is polite enough, though also distant, the loss of Nik clearly affecting him and reminding him how dangerous this work is. He spends time making small talk with Vanessa.

Their seats are in coach, and they find themselves next to a crying baby the entire flight. It is not one of their most pleasant experiences.

Their plane touches down at Berkley on time, and the agents make their way outside. There's a taxi waiting for them. The driver reports their fare has been paid by a Mr. Drake, but seems ignorant of details beyond that. As Jose and Vanessa get inside, a third person rushes to join them.
OOC:   HoneyDog, please feel free to introduce your character when you can.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Andre is standing quietly by himself, trying to fight off the fatigue from the flight, when he sees the man and woman he was told to expect approach the taxi. He can’t tell about the man, but the woman is definitely law enforcement. He picks up his back and approaches them, running his hand through his short blonde hair.

“Mind if I join you?” he says as he reaches them. “I’m Sam. I believe you’re fellow opera enthusiasts.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Be my guest," says Vanessa, sliding over to make room. She is tired from the flight, having been unable to sleep due to the crying baby. She was already reluctant to have one of her own, and this experience hadn't helped to change her mind. "My name's Vanessa. Yes, I've been to several operas in the last couple of years. How many have you attended?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Andre is startled at Vanessa’s casual use of her real name but says nothing.

“Maybe that’s a conversation for another time” he says, eyeing the driver.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thankfully the driver seems to pay his passengers no mind. He puts on the radio and drives them to their destination. If any of them ask, he reveals it to be the Post Office in the city's university district. Other than that, he doesn't talk much, and when they arrive he lets them out around the back of the place before driving away.

The man they meet is in his forties. Slightly overweight, he's balding and dressed conservatively in a post office dress shirt and a pair of khakis.

"Hi, thanks for coming," He smiles nervously and extends his hand. "I'm Inspector David Baldwin. If we go inside I can reveal to you all why you're here." He takes them through the back, though the loading docks and letter sorting area to a snack room for the employees. A small hand held freezer is sitting on a table. It's currently closed, and while Baldwin goes to open it the agents see another man standing nearby. He's older, a senior citizen with sharp gray hair and weathered features, but his eyes are still sharp and completely devoid of emotion. The way he stands at attention suggests a career in the military or law enforcement.

"Call me Drake." He offers, his voice that of a heavy smoker. "I've heard your cell has made a bit of a name for itself, which is why I've called you in." He looks to Andre. "Heard good things about you as well- that you're cool under pressure. I certainly hope that's the case. Baldwin here is a friend of ours.So when he saw what he did he made the very wise decision to reach out to us. I'll let him tell it to you himself."

Baldwin takes out a large shipping box from inside the freezer. It's been taped close but was clearly already been opened, and looks a bit worse for wear; there are towels underneath it, upon which a bright blue fluid is leaking.

"One of my colleagues found this box leaking yesterday and noticed the chemical. It smelled oily, so we called the bomb squad in. They x-rayed it, and found out all it was was the head of a dog wrapped in some cold packs. Unpleasant, but not a threat, at least. Inspector Richard Rafferty opened it after they left to see what it was-- we thought it was some sort of, I dunno, prank, or something. We get them sometimes."

Drake clears his throat, and Baldwin gets the message.

"So uh, he opened it." He opens the box in turn and pulls out the dog's severed head, that of a German Shepard. It's still moving, its eyes completely bloodshot and filled with rage as it squirms about.Its right eye is blasted away by a bullet wound. There is a wound in the skull which has exposed the brain tissue. The jawbone was shot out of its right hinge. Even so, its jaw muscles jerk spasmodically. The flesh of the bloodless stump is stained faintly blue, as is the exposed brain tissue. By all accounts it should be dead, but it's not. It chomps on air, again and again.
OOC:   San rolls for everyone, 0/1d6 unnatural.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

SAN,SAN 60: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/818543]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]68[/b] [url=https://orokos.com/roll/818693]SAN loss[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]5[/b] [url=https://orokos.com/roll/818695]Willpower[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]2[/b] SAN loss 3
Andre feels his face turn cold as he sees the head. He’s seen some shocking sights before, but nothing like this. How can it still be alive?

Feeling unsteady, he tries to imagine the shame he would feel if he fainted right now in front of these others, and of the mockery his teammate Suda would surely bestow in him. He remains calm, but he spies a nearby chair, and sits down heavily, his breath whooshing out.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa flinches, mainly because the dog reminds her of Rex, who is also a German shepherd. The thought of something like that happening to him is what disturbs her the most. "To what address was it sent?" she asks when she recovers. "Was there a return address?"
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 59) for the dog's head: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Both of you suffered fairly big loses. A great start, clearly. ;) Jose was oddly fine about the whole thing.  
Andre nearly freezes up at the sight before him, but he thinks of his teammate. Suda could be an asshole, but he always knew how to handle things, so he summons his reserves and forces himself to avoid freaking out. But he can't help but resent Suda a little; after all, he had never had to see something like this.

Vanessa too manages to mostly overcome her revulsion. The dog looks enough like Rex to be disturbing, but not enough to be his twin, so she was able to dissociate the two.

Jose gives a sharp intake of breath, but otherwise offers no reaction.

Drake looks at Andre carefully, his face blank.
OOC:   Andre can make a HUMINT roll if he likes. Success indicates vague disappointment from the older man at Andre's reaction.  
Baldwin nods. "Yeah. It was sent to a Fiona Lin-Wei, c/ o The Ecotopian, Berkeley, California. The return address is... for a Thomas Iron Shirt, in care of P.O. box 26 on the Blackfoot Indian Reservation in Montana. Apparently it was mailed from Great Falls, Montana on the 3rd of the month, with next day delivery."

"There was a note, too." Blake says, passing it to the investigators.

Dear Ms. Lin-Wei,
This abomination was the result of experiments conducted at the Amalgamated Bio-Carb, Inc. chemical production facility on the Blackfoot Indian reservation, just north of Browning, Montana. From past experience I know you can be trusted to do everything in your power to expose this obscene perversion of science and nature. My position here is precarious, so I must move cautiously. I will contact you soon.

"Your objectives are as follows." Baldwin continues. "We need you to investigate and determine the source and nature of this biological anomaly. Determine the involvement of Amalgamated Bio-Carb, Thomas Iron Shirt, and Fiona Lin-Wei in this matter and what they know. Determine the severity of the threat to national security and the public of these... experiments, and neutralize any immediate threats with a minimum risk of exposure. We can assist in cleanup, but given the scale of things we wish to expose as few people as possible to this unless their is no other option. Hopefully this will only be a few experiments that can be easily thwarted, but if not, we may need to consider other options.

" If violations of federal law have been committed, determine whether charges can be prosecuted without exposure of the public to information about preternatural or paranormal phenomena. If those responsible can be brought to justice without exposing us or the existence of preternatural or paranormal phenomena, then do so. If the threat of exposing us or the existence of preternatural or paranormal phenomena is too great, 'alternative methods' of resolving the situation are authorized." He shares a meaningful look.

"I'm aware this is asking a lot. And this is not some radical cult of a few members. We're talking about a company that may possess considerable resources, and we have no idea how much of it is compromised. That's what we're sending you in to determine. Once you have a better idea of the scope of this, report in for further instructions."

He pauses, seeming to be waiting for any questions.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

HUMINT,HUMINT 10: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/820024]HUMINT[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]32[/b]
In his shaken state, Andre is oblivious to the reactions of the people around him. He manages to collect himself together enough to pose a question, though.

"Do we know anything about this company? Government contracts? IRS records?"

He stares at the floor, trying not to look in the direction of the head.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What do we know about Fiona Lin-Wei and Thomas Iron Shirt?" asks Vanessa, all business now. "There must be public records about them. Are there any known links between them besides the package? He obviously trusted her enough to send it to her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Drake shakes his head. "Very little. And due to compartmentalization we're not often encouraged to dig deeper if not officially assigned to the case. You'll probably want to do some research on Amalgamated Bio-Carb and the people mentioned in the letter. I have been able to confirm that none of them have been noticed by the agency before as a threat or even persons of interest. Anything more, I suggest you do some research on the interne, and if you have access to the FBI databases, see if any of our friends have a record."

Baldwin continues. "When we opened the package, the dog head bit Rafferty. Thankfully he had his gun on him. He had to unload six shots into the thing before it let him go, and the only reason I think it did was because he shot its jawbone out of its hinge. It didn't seem to even notice being shot; it let out no yelps or anything. We sent Rafferty home yesterday, he was pretty disturbed by the whole thing. I spoke to him a few hours ago; he sounded a bit out of it. Poor guy must still be shaken up. He doesn't know about you guys, but I'm sure he won't say anything; he knows how to keep his mouth shut."

"And the rest of the workers who glimpsed any of this have been made to sign wavers," Drake adds. "Any of them breath one word of this they'll lose their pensions and become a guest of the government.Think they will, anyway."

"Here's my number, keep me informed as to what you discover, and I'll do what I can to assist. We have an asset on UC Berkley,a Dr. Nadja Fulani. if you wanted to use the computers there in relative safety for research she may be of assistance. This could be a tricky one, but I have confidence in your team's ability to get to the bottom of things." With that, and after answering any final questions, Drake walks out.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Is that it?” mutters Andre. “I guess we can’t count on much help from him.”

He looks at Baldwin.

“What about the head? Can we attempt any kind of analysis on that thing?”

He shudders.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I have the medical skills," says Vanessa. "I could do it, if we had the proper facilities. I've performed several autopsies, though the bodies don't usually move around and try to bite me."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Good, you can make use of that." Drake says. "You're welcome to try and examine the dog head and see what you can find out. There's a laboratory run by a contact of mine about a 20 minutes ride away on the outskirts of San Fransisco. For $7000 a night you can use the facilities, no questions asked. I can pay $5000 but you'll have to come up with the rest of it. Failing that, you'll have to get creative; I suggest a vet office or something like it. They'd have the equipment needed and tend to be less well guarded."
OOC,If you guys want to foot the bill I'll need one of the agents to opt to pay an Unusual Expense out of their pocket. Make an Int*5 or Accounting roll. Failure means you come up with the money, but you need to reduce a bond by one.
"Before I forget, there's a Green box not too far from here that's fairly well stocked. You can requisition any equipment you might need, within reason." He gives the address. "And if you need to get anything else as the op continues let me know and I'll see what strings I can pull."
ooc,For the green box assume it has the equipment listed in the equipment chart. Rules for requisitioning things can be found [url=https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=399&t=6086#p227671]here[/url] Jose is happy to take whatever you want him to.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I would guess that the er… reanimation is the result of some experiment at Amalgamated Bio-Carb, and Thomas Iron Shirt either found out about it or was involved and had a change of heart, and this is his attempt to expose the experiment, as his note says. It’s obviously unethical, and might be illegal.”

Andre looks up, looking at the box, trying to get himself together.

“I know I raised the point, but we should probably ask ourselves whether we need an analysis right now. Would knowing what re-animated that dog help us? I think finding Thomas Iron Shirt should be the priority. He could be in danger and we should get out to Montana as soon as possible. We can keep that thing on ice at the green box until we need it.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think it's worth it to do the analysis," says Vanessa. "The more we understand about this phenomenon, the better, and I'd sooner trust my firsthand observations than an unreliable witness. While I'm doing that, you can do other things in the area. Fiona Lin-Wei is local, and you could look into her, for instance. You could also collect equipment from the green box. Jose, you have medical experience too, so your help with the dissection - or is it vivisection? - would be welcome, if you're up to it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Andre shrugs.

“Sure, I’ll check her out. If you’re thinking about bringing equipment, and by that I take it you mean weapons, it means a drive, not a flight, to Montana.”

He gets up to leave.

"Think about it. Give me your numbers and I'll call when I've spoken with Lin Wei."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa gives him her card. "Thanks," she says. "I'll give you a list of what I'd like from the green box when I come up with it."
OOC,Can [b]Jose[/b] try to come up with the rest of the money? He's better at it than I am.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Delta Green: S-Cell”