The Vanishing of Abigail Wright

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: The Vanishing of Abigail Wright

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You don't remember anything about what happened?" asks Vanessa. "I'm afraid I don't know the details either, it was my partner that found you. I can see you're hurt, so I'm going to take you to the hospital now." She resumes driving him to the emergency room.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

SAN,SAN 52: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/804732]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]71[/b] [url=https://orokos.com/roll/804994]SAN loss[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]3[/b] Now 49
The book feels like it is burning a hole in his pocket. Nik knows now that whatever ensnared Abigail and the others is in him too.

He closes his phone and walks to his car. He has only one destination and purpose in mind - returning the book to its owner.

He heads for Club Apocalypse.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Vanessa drives Langford to the hospital, and her badge would help her get him examined. There's nothing physically wrong with the man, though he has been missing for several days, and the fact that he remembers little of what happened but chalks it up to a drunken bender leads to him being released. He tells Vanessa he plans to call the company he works for and beg to keep his job, though he does not sound optimistic, and it was hard to blame him. He had an unexplained work absence and did not remember where he parked the company truck he had been using. But while he may lose his job, Vanessa can take some small comfort in the fact that unlike Abigail, he had been saved-- and thanks to Dr. Shaeffer seemed to remember little of the horrors he experienced.
OOC:   This will likely take a few hours,so I'm going to finish up with Nik and get him caught up in the timeline. If there's anything else pressing Vanessa wants to do in the meantime feel free to post it.  

There's a long line to get into Club Apocalypse, but Nik does not even have to show a badge before he's ushered in. Apparently he was on 'the list." Inside the club is only half full, but it's still early in the evening. Frankly there was enough room here to let in everyone waiting outside, but apparently Alzis catered to an exclusive clientele.

The music is loud,dark and ambient. These on the dance floor gyrate to it with reckless abandon. It looks like something out of a religious epiphany, and Nik recalled one of Alzis' assistant had admitted it's purpose was as much. It was tempting perhaps to lose himself in it-- would that remove the itch lurking on the corner of his mind ever since he had touched the book?

If Nik wants to, he finds his way up on the second floor of the club, the security flanking both sides of the staircase allowing him to pass without issue. Amongst the mostly empty tables up here he spies one that two people are sitting at. One is a young man in dark clothing and gothic makeup, speaking with a beautiful young woman. Nik recognizes her as https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=399&t=6105&start=220#p200261 who he and Vanessa had briefly spoken to the last time they were here. Presently she's smoking a cigarette and looking down at the crowd below. But as Nik approaches, her eyes widen, and her blank expression acquires a smile.

"I remember you! You're one of Stephen's friends. Well, this is a pleasant surprise, isn't it, Anton?" She turns to the man, who shrugs and continues to nurse his drink, hardly glancing over at the agent.

"It's uncommon for your type to show up here, but you have a lifetime pass, as you've probably ascertained. Sit down, darling. Can I get you a drink? What brings you into the spider's den today, hmm?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa calls up Langford's employer as requested and explains that her partner found him in an injured and confused state. She says that she believes he was the victim of a crime and is suffering from amnesia as a result of the trauma, and that his absence was not his fault.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik doesn’t even glance at the woman, and keeps moving, looking for where he can access further inside the club.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Vanessa, please roll persuade for me.  

Megan's playful tone turns offended as Nik ignores her- clearly she was not a woman used to being treated such.

"Hey, what are you doing? You can't just--"

But Nik keeps walking, right up to the red doors at the end of the hallway that led into Alzis office. He pulls them open and steps into the large room. Inside he finds the man himself, wearing the same green money colored suit he had been wearing last time Nik had seen him. He's playing golf, looking down and lining up a shot, but Nik's entrance causes him to glance up just as he hits the ball.

"Agent Siilasvuo! A pleasure to see you again." The ball still manages to find the hole, entering it with a soft clatter.

Megan storms in, looking affronted. "Stephen, I'm sorry, but he just--"

"Hush, Ms. Brennen. The agent clearly is eager to chat. Leave us."

Reluctantly, she does so, but Nik feels daggers in his back as she walks out. He had made an enemy by not playing along with her games, but it felt oddly satisfying.

"So, Agent. What brings you here this evening? I hope your case is going well. Of course, if I can be of any assistance... all you need to do is ask."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik pulls his sidearm and fires.
OOC,Can I do that with one roll? Please tell me if I need to edit. Firearms 71: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/805449]Firearms[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]33[/b]
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Nik,You can. And that's an extreme success, so go ahead and roll double damage. :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa is convincing, which relieves her. She didn't want Langford to lose his job through no fault of his own. He had been through too much already.
OOC,Wow, a critical success! :shock: I'm not sure whether [b]Alzis[/b] will be more amused or annoyed. ;) Persuade roll (73% skill) to convince [b]Langford[/b]'s boss: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik can't miss at this range. He puts two bullets into Alzis.
Firearms Damage,[url=https://orokos.com/roll/805487]Firearms damage[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]8[/b] [url=https://orokos.com/roll/805488]Firearms damage[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]1[/b]
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Langford's boss very reluctantly says he'll reconsider his termination. It seems as though he's afraid to get on the FBI's bad side. Langford himself seems most grateful for her interference. "Thank you so much. I can't remember anything, it's frustrating... but I have a feeling I owe you guys a great debt. So, thank you."

Vanessa has a feeling that he'll be okay. Regardless of anything else, they had given him another chance. Hopefully he would never remember what happened to him. But he seems content on not knowing-- perhaps having enough of an instinct to know that looking for answers would only lead to ruin.

OOC:   Actually a crit would still mean Nik only put one bullet into Alzis. He'd have had to declare he was firing twice before his attack, which would have had him fire at a penalty. But it's still a very nice shot.  
Nik has only met Stephen Alzis three times, but he has never seen him without that Cheshire smile on his face.

For once though, he looks shocked. He looks down, spying the large hole that's now been made in his chest. Nik had hurt him.

But then he looks at the agent, and the smile comes back.

"I have to say, I'm disappointed, Agent Siilasvuo. "Not that you tried to kill me-- though that's also unfortunate, given I've been nothing but helpful to you. But I realize most of your organization would love to put me in the ground. But no, I'm disappointed that you did it in so lazy a manner. Did you really think that would work?"

As he speaks, Nik sees the hole in Alzis' chest slowly begin to close, and feels his own skin burn and tear as it slowly and agonizingly opens. The wound he had caused Alzis was being reflected back onto him. His eyes water, and it takes everything he has not to drop to his knees. Alzis meanwhile continues to speak.

"Or maybe you were hoping to, what is that expression? 'Suicide by cop,' as it were? It won't be that easy, my friend. You still owe me a favor! Well, two now. I'll need you to buy me a new suit. This one is ruined. But I think that's very reasonable, given your disrespect.

Now put down the gun and let's discuss this like gentleman."

OOC:   Nik takes 9 damage, and can make a san roll 0/1. Sorry, getting ride of Alzis is not that easy. :(  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik whimpers with the pain, and tears come to his eyes as he sags to his knees. He didn’t think his plan would work, but he had to try.

"You don't get to own me Alzis" he says.

He puts his gun to his own temple and pulls the trigger.
Firearms,[url=https://orokos.com/roll/805498]Firearms[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]62[/b] [url=https://orokos.com/roll/805499]Firearms damage[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]8[/b]
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Nik did not need to roll for that-- though I'm very amused at the image of him making a badass quip then missing. :D  
Nik puts the gun to his head. The last thing he sees is Alzis frowning. He dies with the satisfaction of knowing that he had done it on his terms.

Vanessa is just leaving the hospital when she receives a call.

"Good evening,Agent Marchand. It's Stephen. I regret to inform you that Agent Siilasvuo came into my office and, after an attempt to kill me, blew his brains out all over the shag carpet. Would you be so kind as to swing by? We need to have a conversation."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll be there," says Vanessa, though she's not about to take Alzis at his word, nor is she about to go there on her own. She disconnects the call and then immediately calls McRay to fill him in on what Alzis told her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

McRay answers.

"Report in. Has the threat been neutralized? Actually, I'm glad you called. We've gotten reports of a mass suicide at the Macalistar Building. I can't reach Nik and this is going to be a bitch to cover up. We'll probably have to go with some sort of sex cult angle."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If you can't reach Nik, sir, then he may really be dead," says Vanessa, trying not to accept the fact yet. "If the threat had been neutralized, I don't think there'd have been a mass suicide, but hopefully it has died with them. This is the first I've heard of it. We did find Abigail Wright and tried to remove her from the premises, but she transformed into a marionette. Nik found another missing person, a repairman named Langford. He had apparently been trapped there after making a service call. We did get him out, and I made sure he won't tell anyone what he experienced. He won't even remember it himself thanks to Dr. Shaeffer's talents. Langford proved especially susceptible to hypnosis. The threat is something called Carcosa that infects the minds of those exposed to it. The source of the threat was a book of a play called The King in Yellow. Abigail Wright had purchased it at a bookstore. Nik discovered that this was the same book that Alzis had him deliver to that same bookstore as a 'favor.' That must be why he went after Alzis. Alzis just called and told me that Nik had gone into his office and tried to kill him, then killed himself. He wants me to come by for a conversation. I'll also need to retrieve the body."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Slow down.

"First of all, you shouldn't have gotten anyone else involved, friendly or not, without consulting me first. In the future make sure you don't do that. And keep a close eye on Langford. He may seem normal but maybe this madness has not infected him yet, or maybe he's just good at hiding it. We can't afford to be burned by this.

"I'm not familiar with this play or this phenomena, but I'll contact who I can and see if any of them have heard of it. Retrieve the book if you don't have it and place it in a green box upstate
." He gives the address.

"Wait, Agent Siilasvuo did Alzis a favor? Why the hell would he do that? I specifically told you all not to get involved with him! What did he do for all of you that made Nik owe him this favor? And what about you-- did you do anything for him? I need to know, agent. Siilasvuo's foolishness may have just brought about open war between us. A war we won't win. Do you understand?" McRay is shouting now, near frantic. Vanessa recalled that he had been involved in a past operation to kill Alzis and was the only survivor in his cell; it seemed likely if the peace fell apart he'd be one of the first targets.

"Shit shit shit. Okay, go to Alzis. I'll try to call him, though likely as not he won't take my call. If he wanted me to know about this he would have called me two. Go to him and grovel. I don't like it either, but he has us over the barrel, especially if an agent tried to kill him. It's likely we're going have to do a few things for him to keep the peace, but we don't have much of a choice. Do not mess this up." He terminates the call.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa calls Jose to let him know what happened and instructs him to collect and take the book to the green box address she was given. Then she goes to Club Apocalypse to talk to Alzis.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Before Vanessa can call him Jose comes by, apparently having tracked her and Langford down at the hospital. "There you are! Things were crazy..." He tells Vanessa about the mass suicide, and how Nik had left him to clean up the scene himself. It's obvious he has no idea what had happened to their fellow agent.

When Vanessa tells him he is stunned, and looks close to tears. Perhaps the gravity of their work had hit him. "Why would he do that? We could have, we could have helped him! This Alzis guy, he's weird, right? He saved Nik once. Maybe we can make a deal with him to bring him back again!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't know if he'll do it," says Vanessa, still numb from losing him. "At this rate, we'll be lucky to get out of this without going to war with Alzis, and McRay made it clear we can't win one. Even if he does agree to do it, the price may be too high. Everything that happened at the Macalistar Building was a result of a favor Nik did for Alzis, including his death, so think about that before making a deal with Alzis. We're going to have to do some things for him anyway just to smooth things over. I'll see if I can convince him to throw in bringing back Nik. Apparently Nik still owes him one from the last time he brought him back, and he can't repay his debt if he's dead. Of course, Nik probably doesn't want to be brought back. If he killed himself, he'll be very upset if Alzis brings him back again. I'm not going to ask you to go see Alzis with me. I'll need you to clean up the mess. McRay says we might be able to spin the mass suicide as a sex cult. He also wants that book, The King in Yellow, locked up in a green box." She gives him the address. "Do you know what happened to it after I left?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Delta Green: S-Cell”