Convergence

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Convergence

Post by Silver Priest »

McRay meets them, looks over the document. He is quiet for a moment. He removes his glasses, massages his eyes, and sighs.

"So that's their play, huh."

He puts his glasses back on and looks towards the three agents. "It's true, yes. We've been operating off the books since 1970. I don't know the exact details- most of us weren't around back then, and so the story has been passed down third or forth hand at this point.

Suffice it to say that anything you were told while you were recruited was true, to a point. We began in the 20's due to a raid on a small New England town that was a center for unnatural worship. Faced with these things, the government formed us to deal with matters that mundane authorities could not handle. We served throughout the second world war, battling the elements of the Third Reich that attempted to weaponize the Unnatural, and then the Soviets that tried the same. We had our successes and our failures, but over time we grew overconfident. Operation OBSIDIAN was conducted in Cambodia in 1969, and was a disaster that led to the deaths of hundreds of Americans and nearly exposed our organization to the general public. As a result, and thanks to some behind the scenes lobbying via MAJESTIC, Delta Green was shut down. In some ways it was a long time coming; we destroyed any traces of the Unnatural we encountered, while MAJESTIC sought to utilize it for purported American benefit. In the most intense years of the Cold War, where both sides were looking for any advantage, you can imagine what vision was more appealing.

"Some time later, a small team of DH veterans decided to reactive the organization. They used their dayjobs and reallocated resources to it, knowing that if they were ever found out they'd face imprisonment or worse. But they had seen what was out there, and knew they could not just pretend things were fine, or leave it to MAJESTIC to exploit. But as time went by they found they needed other agents, and so they began to reach out and recruit from inside the ranks of the government. The cover story omitted the fact we were no longer legit, for two reasons. First, every agent who comes into DG has seen horrors they previously believed was not possible. They need to believe there's a governmental organization behind them, with the full might of America. It makes them think this is a fight we can actually win
." He grimaces.

"Second, it ties new recruits to us. If they ever balk at a mission-- and you know some of the things we ask of you are soul crushing-- it can make for effective coercion to let them know that every single goddamn thing they've done has been illegal. It's not something I'm proud of,and I don't make those calls. But sometimes it's the only thing that prevents an agent from going rogue, knowing we're the only thing keeping them out of jail.Of our agents, maybe 20% know that we're not a legitimate governmental organization. It's a well kept secret. Those who know have usually been around for awhile, and they figure it out on their own or it becomes necessary to tell them.

"The simple truth is MAJESTIC could crush us like a bug if they wanted to. They don't because I believe enough of them know we serve a purpose that they don't care about. Stopping Unnatural threats. Secondly, MAJESTIC is not just one entity-- we believe there's significant debate in their leadership over what should be done with us.

"Some of our agents hope to one day collect enough evidence of the threats we face to force the government to reinstate us, giving us a budget and more manpower once again. Most of us are against that, myself included. I believe governmental power will naturally come with limits that prevent us from doing what needs to be done. We may very well end up another MAJESTIC-- from what I've heard, not even the current president knows of its existence. They have in essence become a shadow government. It can offer many things we cannot,a budget, protection, more firepower. But it's forgotten its mission and become the enemy. As I believe we would if we ever were legitimized.

"I know I've put a lot on you. I am sorry for the deception, but I hope you understand why it was necessary. Did you all really want to know that there was this terrifying world out there, and the only thing standing in the way of it and the innocent were less than 100 agents? You three are our first and last line of defense. I trust that you all know this, and angry as you may be at me or the program or this entire damn world, you know your country needs you for this thankless service. Can we count on you to continue it?"
"
OOC:   Everyone can make a san roll for Helplessness for having it confirmed that your agents, two of them work for the government, have effectively been outlaws and committed all sorts of unlawful activities that would see you all imprisoned for the rest of your lives. 1/1d4. I believe Vanessa is the only one who is adapted to it, meaning she only takes 1 point of san loss automatically.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We don't really have a choice," says Vanessa after some thought. "It's not just that you have the goods on us. We have to go on protecting people from the threats out there, as well as from MAJESTIC. Even if this isn't a fight we can actually win, we have to hold the line as long as we can. Less than 100 agents? Over four percent of Delta Green is in this room. You're right that we're better off not being an official agency. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. If we had that kind of power, we probably would become another MAJESTIC. I've seen enough to know that humans can be more monstrous than the Unnatural things we encounter. I'd still like to bring MAJESTIC down, though."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

SAN,SAN 64: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/780150]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]54[/b] 63
Nik sits down as he is listening.

"Well, at least that explains why we hardly ever get any help" he says to McRay. "Honestly, I thought you guys were just trying to save money."

Nevertheless he is shocked at the revelation. "I'll keep going too. But I suggest you or anyone else not try and threaten me with anything, McRay".

He gives the supervisor a blank, unreadable look.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

SAN 67%,[dice]0[/dice]
José with a dry mouth as his jaw had been open in disbelief all the time while McRay was talking manages to utter a short 'im with you'
~Bony End of Story~
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

McRay looks relieved as all three agents reaffirm their loyalty. "You've all made the right decision."

To Vanessa he says, "Well we also have a few hundred Friendlies. Most of them don't even know the name Delta Green, but they can prove useful and can one day be brought into the organization. In addition, those of us like myself can occasionally manipulate case files and bring in outside, if heavily compartmentalized, help. But the core of the group is the cells. 26, one for each letter, generally 3 agents to a cell, with the occasional exception. So roughly 78 agents tasked with dealing with both the Unnatural and MAJESTIC. I don't know if we'll ever be able to 'win' against MAJESTIC, but we're trying. The central objective is to collect enough information to discredit the agreement they made with an alien power. Then hopefully we can either get them disbanded, or more likely, get them to sever the ties and at least prevent them from actively betraying the American people. Ideally I'd like to burnt he whole damn group down to the ground, knowing some of the crimes they have committed... but in our present position we lack the power to do it. the best we can hope for is a more agreeable leadership.

To Nik's comment he gives a tired laugh. "Trust me, if we had extra resources to waste I'm sure we certainly would; it's just how bureaucrats think, in my experience. As for threats, I don't like to use them. I admit there have been times I needed to, in the past. Every now and then you get an agent who cracks under the pressure and wants to be a big damn hero and tell the world, somehow thinking that will make things better. That's when you have to put the screws to them. But so long as you don't try anything foolish like that I at least won't resort to such measures. If a time comes when you can't do this anymore, I'll see about getting you reassigned, as either a handler like myself or demoted down to Friendly, in which case you'd be working in an assisting capacity. Of course, if we detect a threat later and you're the only contacts available in the vicinity of it, don't be surprised if you're ordered in. This is a job that even when you think you're out, you're only a phone call away from being brought back in."

"Did you all have any other questions? If not, you're dismissed. Keep an eye out for MAJESTIC, though my guess is they won't try anything else right away."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What exactly was Operation OBSIDIAN?" asks Vanessa, curious. "What went wrong with it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I don't really know further details than what I told you, and any attempts to find out would be met with displeasure. But the way I heard it was it was a massive breach of protocol. We recruited hundreds of soldiers that had no experience with the things we fought and sent them out after a threat we had little intel on. Everyone was unprepared for the threat, It went bad, proved almost impossible to cover up, and affected the war effort later on when America invaded Cambodia, since they were now expecting us after the failed operation. This was the last straw for the Joint Chiefs, who were already annoyed with Delta Green for never recovering any valuable assets or intelligence, which even back then MAJESTIC excelled at. It's like I said, having that sort of authority would invariably lead to restrictions and lead our bosses to try and weaponize the things we fight. The consequences to that I believe to be dire."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik stands up. He nods at McRay, satisfied for now.

"Come on Jose, I'll show you out."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, sir," says Vanessa, ready to leave.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

HoneyDog wrote:Nik stands up. He nods at McRay, satisfied for now.

"Come on Jose, I'll show you out."
'Hell yeah' José follows Nick outside. 'What I find almost most disturbing is that they keep the president in the dark that shit is just wrong' he jumps into his truck behind the wheel once outside. 'You guys arrived in cars? I can drop you off where you want'
~Bony End of Story~
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

And so the Agents leave McRay's office, having finally learned the truth behind Delta Green. Their fight had just become a lot more isolated and lonely, facing impossible odds, both among the legitimate governmental opposition against them, and the seemingly endless horrors that lurked throughout the world.

But for their own reasons, all of them would continue to fight.

Return to “Delta Green: S-Cell”