See No Evil

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: See No Evil

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

“That’s gonna take some explaining” Nik thinks.

He takes out his folding knife, wipes it on his shirt and puts it in the man’s hand. He then picks up the bottle and closes the door on his way out. Hopefully if any arriving police find the body, he can say that the man attacked them with his knife. But perhaps they can get the body away first. He goes to fetch the car and then to pick up the burned man.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa quickly shoots at the man twice as he goes down.
OOC,Firearms rolls (70 - 20[Rapid Fire] = 50% skill [+20 if my action last turn counts as an Aim or if it's Point Blank]) shooting at the driver: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] Damage from first shot (if it counts as a hit): [dice]2[/dice] Damage from second shot: [dice]3[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Spoiler:
ooc,
OOC:   Mr.Handy, good idea on the aim bonus, I had not considered that. In the future both of you should feel free to point out if you think you deserve a bonus, and I'll try to fairly consider it.  
Fast as the man is, he's already heavily wounded, and bullets are faster. The first slams into his chest, the second strikes him in the head. He falls back prone, and Vanessa is confident she had just killed a man. As she approaches, she catches an interesting sight. In addition to the gun now discarded on the floor in front, the driver had been holding onto a grenade. Thankfully the pin remains unpulled, but it seems likely he was trying to lure her close enough to where he could have ensured she was caught in the blast.

Nik meanwhile frames the scene as he likes inside and then inspects the cork bottle. There's writing on the side of it he did not notice before.
Lt O. Karin 2.8.44
Aside from that, there remains nothing inside of the bottle.

The car is easily fetched, and the burned man can be placed inside (Though not without struggle, though Agent Taylor is willing to help) The combatants seem to have been all neutralized. There is the distant sound of sirens on the horizon, but given New York traffic it seems a safe bet they won't be here for a few more minutes.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik is relieved that Vanessa and Taylor are okay. He takes Vanessa’s arm and leads her aside.

“I’m sorry Marchand, I fucked up. The other guy with Colm, he’s dead, I killed him. He was pulling some weird magic shit. He was trying to do something to my head. Look, I found this.”

He shows Vanessa the bottle.

“I think this is where are weird friend came from. See the label? He’s German I bet. I think our mystery man is called Karin, Lieutenant or Leutnant Karin. This was some kind of resurrection I bet. This is a date see? 1944. Did he die then?”

He pauses and shakes his head. It’s all too weird.

“Look, I can stay here and deal with the cops. We came up on Colm and his associates and they opened up on us. Let me keep Taylor, at least he can get some medical attention. And he is blameless in this. Why don’t you get Karin or whoever the hell he is to someone who can communicate with him. For Christs sake, there must be some German speakers in the field office. It’s not that unusual a language.”

His fingers dig into Vanessa's arm. "We need to get that fucker Colm though. That motherfucker is the key to this."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's the bottle the guy you killed used to...reconstitute Karin," says Vanessa. "He formed out of blue dust, or at least mostly. It all went wrong when you distracted them. Colm must have thought he'd been betrayed and punched out the guy, who must have been Stromm, and fled. He took a book with him, and we have to get it back. I wish we had placed a tracker on his car, but there are limited places where he can go, and with the APB on him and his car, hopefully he'll be found. They'll have to watch the tunnels, bridges, train and bus stations, and airports in case he tries to rabbit. It's probably for the best that you killed Stromm. At least he's out of the picture now. I'll take Karin to see Dr. Jensen Wu, who's a friendly and knows German."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

The two agents have been discussing with themselves as Taylor ensures the burned man, now tentatively identified as Karin, is secure. He returns to them both.

"Guy's well... I'll be blunt. He's messed up. I'm not entirely sure how he's still alive, but he's heavily wounded. I don't know what his role in all this was, but I think he needs to go to a hospital. Or at least, to somewhere where our people can look him over. Otherwise, he might die."

If called, Wu listens in rapt attention as Vanessa explains the situation. "Fascinating. I'd have loved to have seen such an application of prenatal science myself. The implications..." he trails off, and it takes him a moment to recover. "Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can be of any assistance here. My German is very rusty, and while researching the letters I had the luxury of consulting a dictionary. Interrogating a living subject, of a sort, is sadly likely beyond my abilities."

The sirens are becoming louder.
OOC:   So Nik wants to keep Taylor around and give a mostly truthful take on what happened, leaving out the "weird" stuff?

Vanessa can spirit Karin away, or based on the man's condition she can take him to receive medical treatment.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   It might be best to get more help from DG. Call McRay and tell him about the bottle guy, and get him to find a German speaker asap. Nik can stay with Taylor, and they can leave as soon as they get word on Colm.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I agree, we need to call [b]McRay[/b]. He may know of a safe house where we can take him and get him medical treatment, at least.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

McRay answers immediately.

We're already getting word of your little escapade here. Report.” When Vanessa does so, he responds.

Alright, we need the injured man alive. As of now he's our only witness. Unfortunately, we're going to need to play this more public than I like, but it can't be helped. Give him over to the paramedics when they arrive. At least one of you should insist on going with him, just in case he can do something we're unprepared for. I'll pull rank and find us a translator. They'll have to be outside our organization, so be willing to back me up with a story of how he was on drugs or some such.

“They'll probably take him to Presbyterian hospital. I'll meet you there in an hour or two, and you can debrief more fully.
” He ends the call. Less than a minute after, the ambulance pulls up, and the burned man is taken off the group's hands.
OOC:   Making some assumptions here, feel free to correct.  

The three agents follow their witness to the hospital. When there, Taylor is immediately taken away, his gunshot looked at. Vanessa finds herself temporarily kicked out of Karin's room as the doctors work to stabilize him. From the looks on their faces, they all seem quite shocked at his condition and the severity of the burns.

Nik and Vanessa find themselves interrogated by the police, but their FBI status helps them avoid too strict of an interrogation. They can easily sell a story about surveillance of Colm leading them to the location, and an ensuring firefight with terrorists. Any questions that are too probing can be dismissed as interfering with a still active federal investigation.

McRay arrives a few hours later, and confers with the two in private.

Okay. I think it's time I hear the whole story.”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik describes discovering the time and date of the meeting between Colm and who might have been Stromm. They attempted to observe what appeared to be a magical resurrection of the burned man, but were discovered. Colm fled the scene with a book he picked up after attacking Stromm, but Agent Taylor was unable to intervene after being attacked by a third man outside, most likely an associate of Stromm's. Marchand and Taylor killed this man, and Nik killed Stromm after he attempted to work some kind of magic spell on him. He rigged the scene to make it look like Stromm was attempting to use a knife. The burned man tried to flee, but was apprehended.

Nik suggests someone analyse the bottle discovered at the scene, and also the marking that Stromm attempted to write on the wall where he was killed. Recovery of Colm and the book is a priority, as is questioning the mystery man.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I see." Mcray says after the report is made. "Shame that Stromm died, but honestly I never expected we'd take him alive. As for the taxi driver, his vehicle was filled with guns and grenades, so we've got enough to label this as a terrorist operation. We're checking out his ID now, but the cab at least was a fake and not registered in state. In addition, both Stromm and the driver had cellular phones, but it will also take a bit before we learn much from them. My guess is that they're burners assigned solely for this opp. I doubt we'll be fortunate enough to have either of them have made a call to headquarters.

"For the time being, both bodies are being stored in the local morgue, though the locals are under strict orders not to touch either. I've put in a call, and in a few days one of our... forensic experts will come by and examine the bodies. If all goes well, even dead they'll be able to tell us much about the Karotechia and its structure and activities."

He nods at Nik's suggestion. "I'll send Wu a few photos of both the writing and the bottle, see if he knows anything about either.

"As for Colm, he's still at large. We sent a local down to his apartment, and his neighbor reported he called her frantic and told her to watch his mutt for a few days. He's probably going to ground, but needless to say I'm very interested in talking to him. The Karotechia wanted to recruit him, but judging by what you said he turned on them. Plus whatever book he has could be dangerous, or provide us with more information."

"Now, as to the matter of our sole witness at the moment. I've got a translator coming in, she should be here in the next few minutes. She's regular FBI so don't bring up anything related to the group. But if you can think of anything to ask her as she conducts the interview, feel free. We're looking to gain as much information as possible here."
OOC:   Pausing here for a bit, feel free to add any thoughts.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

"Do we have anyone watching Colm's place?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We should reassign our other agents if it hasn't been done already," says Vanessa. "One to watch his place, and the others to aid in the search. Either Nik or I could monitor our listening post to see if Colm makes contact with the other three Review leaders. Another thing to consider is that, if the date on the bottle is correct, Karin was placed inside it in 1944. That's bound to come out during the interview, but hopefully the translator will chalk it up to delusion. It would probably never occur to her that he could be from 1944."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"No need for that. This is a major enough story now that the FBI have already assigned agents to watch both his home and workplace. The other three are still watching the others in Review leadership, and I think for now it's best to leave them to it. Makes it easier to pin this on them when it's all over. do keep an eye on the post though, see if Colm tries to reach out."

The translator arrives then. She's a pretty bespectacled blonde woman in her mid 30's. She introduces herself as Agent Erica Steinbeck. As McRay is technically her superior as well, he gives her a brief edited version of the agents mission. He tells her that the Review were suspected of having ties with racist extremists,and they had encountered their current witness during their investigation. he warns her that the man has been heavily tortured and likely delusional from the stress as well as suspected brainwashing from the terrorists, but that it was important to hear him out and see if anything useful could be gleamed. That said, he leads the group into the hospital room.

Karin looks little better for the treatment he has received, but is surprisingly still conscious.He's hooked up to several machines and large parts of his body are wrapped in gauze. Enough can be seen however that Agent Steinbeck's eyes briefly go wide before she regains control. She begins to speak, and upon hearing his native tongue Karin grows more animated.

"He's asking us what we want with him."

"Start with his name and what year he thinks it is."

Erica does so, and quickly translates his answer. "He says he's Oscar Karin, 2nd Lieutenant in the German Army and that it's 1944." To her credit, the translator keeps a neutral expression, apparently prepared by McRay's warnings.

"Ask him the last thing he remembers before waking up here."

A brief moment before a reply. "He says he was fighting in Narva when he was hit by an artillery strike. The next thing he remembered was coming into being inside a ...warehouse? The pain was intense. He looked for his commanding officer, but no one was there. He's unsure who captured him but seems to think he's a prisoner of war now."

"I see. Ask him if he's ever heard the name Walther Stromm, or the term Karotechia." At Steinbech's questioning look he expands. "Terms of interest in our investigation."

Erica asks. She does not need to translate his reply. Karin shakes his head, then adds something.

"He thinks he's been captured by Americans. The Russians would have shot him by now. He wants something for the pain."

McRay ignores this and turns to the agents. "Well, anything you can think to ask him?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

“I don’t think he can tell us anything. I doubt that he has any idea about what happened to him, or that he had any say in any of it. We need to know what they did to him, and most importantly why. We need that bastard Colm. Sorry Marchand, you were right to want to track his car. It’s my fault.”
Nik is furious with himself for making the wrong call.

Colm is on the run now – we need to figure out where he’s going to go. They’ll also be looking for him, we have to get to him first.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

McRay gives a nod and leads the team out.
ooc,[ooc]If Vanessa has any questions,we can retcon.[/ooc]
Giving a brief dismissal to Agent Steinbeck and another warning not to believe any of the man's delusions, he soon faces the others when she leaves.

"Well, that was a deadend. I'll call up the chain later. Depending on what I'm told, that poor bastard will either be disposed of quietly or spend the rest of his life in a small padded room, heavily medicated." McRay shakes his head. "Still, it's more confirmation that the Karotechia is bad news. I'm betting he's not the first they've brought back."

"Colm's convention is tomorrow. We'll have it heavily guarded for any sight of him, and I want you both there as
..." He is interrupted by his phone ringing. Sighing, he pulls it out and answers. "Yeah, McRay." Neither of the agents need to be good at reading people to know he instantly goes white as a sheet. He listens for a long time, his eyes briefly glancing at Nik and Vanessa at one point. "I understand. I'll make the arrangements." Then he terminates the call, and despite being in a hospital, immediately reaches for a cigarette.

"Now we have another fucking complication. There's a figure in the NYC underworld who we've clashed with in the past. He's in the know about what we do. Hell, he is what we do. His name is Stephen Alzis. That was him on the phone. Apparently he has "collected" Colm and is willing to trade him and the book to us, for the right price. One of his preconditions though is meeting with S-Cell."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Why's that guy got such a hard-on for us?" thinks Nik. "He must have a thing for Marchand or something."

"I guess we better go see him then".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, we've heard of Alzis," says Vanessa. "From what we've heard, the price he asks will be a high one. We've managed to avoid him thus far, but now we're going to have to go meet with him and find out what he wants."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Well now he wants to meet with you, so that's the starting price. But I doubt it will end there. I'll talk as we head to his club." As he leaves a nurse scolds him for the cigarette. McRay responds by tossing it on the floor and grounding it out.

As he drives the agents out to the club, McRay fills them in.

"So,Alzis. I don't know how much you know, but I'll give you the basics. There have been rumors from years that the Five Families that run much of NYC's organized crime took orders from someone else. These tales were always laughed off, but what was unnerving was that the same stories were told by rival families. an investigation was launched, and Delta Green determined a crime organization manipulating the preternatural had been pulling the strings behind crime in this city for decades. The group styles itself as The Fate, and are led by a man who goes by Stephen Alzis. He runs them out of Club Apocalypse on 98th and Lexington.It's a popular club with celebrities and VIP's of all stripes.

As you can imagine, such a situation was intolerable to us. The order was given for my cell to take him out. There were four of us. We ambushed Alzis one night after he spent a night at the opera. funny, right? We should have known then he was fucking with us."

We rigged up his car, and when he got it, kaboom. It was as clean a job as you get in our line of work. For one week the news was filled with stories of his death, and accolades pulled in. My cell and I were on alert, just in case his group could figure out our involvement. But we all grew complacent. When nothing happened, we relaxed.

Then suddenly all the news about Alzis being dead vanished. Then Ted disappeared. He was the youngest member of the cell, and worked in the FBI office under me. I called his work phones, both FBI and DG, and both were wrong numbers. When i asked about him i was meant with blank stares. another agent was sitting at his desk that I had never seen before, but according to records he worked there for over ten years. A few days later Frank followed. I went to his house and found his wife married to another man. They had different kids
." His voice shakes here, and he seems stressed. "Only I and the last member remembered him. And then she disappeared too.

"Then the next morning I went downstairs and found Alzis in my kitchen eating breakfast. He indicated his interest in coming to an agreement with the agency. I did, because what the hell else was I going to do, right
?" He laughs, sharp and bitter." Since then we've had to give him the "courtesy" of letting him know whenever we conduct DG operations in New York, and he reserves the right to veto any he doesn't like. It's not a situation I'm happy with, nor is leadership. But until we can figure out how to kill him for good, we have no other choice but to grin and bear it."

"That he wants to meet with us tells me he's playing some sort of game here. Worse, we don't have any chance but to play along. But that doesn't mean we're going to roll over for the jackass either. I'll do most of the talking. But be polite. Treat Alzis like you would any godfather you come across. Smile and act gratified until the day comes to take him down
."

"Any final questions?" He glances out the window. "We're almost there so make them quick."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik shakes his head. It's a fantastic tale, but he believes every word of it. He’s not looking forward to this meeting.

Return to “Delta Green: S-Cell”