A Victim of the Art

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Re: A Victim of the Art

Post by Silver Priest »

As Nik revs the engine Sonja steps back, her hands in the air. She looks completely calm.

"Well if you decide to talk, give me a call." She tosses her card into the car's window. It contains her name and a phone number.

The agents leave her on the side of the road. She apparently has the good sense not to follow. But it was concerning she had tracked them down so quickly. Especially since this meant media were probably flooding the town.

The agents make it to each of their objectives.
Edmund,Dr. Maretti's home is a nice three story townhouse a few blocks from the bay. Everything about the home radiates warmth, from the bright pastel colors it is painted in to the mat welcoming visitors to the home. Rue knocks on the door and is soon face to face with Caroline Maretti. She looks slightly younger than her husband, with bleach blonde hair and an hourglass figure. But she wears stained sweats at the moment and it is obvious to Edmund that she had been crying. "[color=#0040FF]Can I help you[/color]?" She asks Edmund, her voice a monotone.
Vanessa,The medical examiners officer is only a few blocks away from the police station. Vanessa gains entry into what would normally be the reception, but there is no receptionist present. It's not surprising, given the time of night. "[color=#0040FF]Back here[/color]," comes a voice, so she heads back further into the office. She is greeted by a kind grandfatherly looking man. He appears to be in his mid to late 60's. Upon seeing Vanessa, he smiles warmly and extends his hand. When she gives it to him, she is a bit surprised to find that he brings it to his lips and gently kisses it. "[color=#0040FF]Charmed my dear. You are the Federal Agent then? My, I did not realize they made them so attractive nowadays[/color]." he chuckles. His gray hair is wild and has obviously not seen anything like a comb in sometime. His glasses are at least a size too big for him, and his outfit is puke green and bright purple that would lead anyone with an ounce of taste to blush. "[color=#0040FF]I'm Dr. Stephen Santorini, the medical examiner here in Glendridge. It's a role I've held for... oh, over a decade now. Normally we're a nice quiet community, but these recent murders have rather shattered that sense of tranquility. "I have the bodies or what's left of them rather in the examination room, if you'd like to see them. But if you don't mind me saying so they're rather a ghastly sight. If you prefer I can just give you the summary of what I found[/color]."
Nik,Nik finds the Swansea Psychiatric Institute to be a large building just off the town's bay. There's a garden and waterfall just off tot he side of the front doors, but no one seems to be out and about at the moment. The building itself is bright and cheerful, seeming to project calm. Plaques off to the side give a brief history of the Institute. Apparently it's been lauded in the national press for its forward thinking treatment methods. Nik enters the building and is quickly ushered into a seat by a smiling receptionist. A few minutes later a doctor comes out, smiling warmly as he shakes Nik's hand. "[color=#0040FF]Thank you very much for coming, Agent. I'm Doctor Stanton Feldman. I live in this community along with my family, and we all very much want this criminal apprehended. It would give us all a great deal of peace of mind[/color]." "[color=#0040FF]I'm afraid however that I don't know how much help Mrs. Harrogate will be to you. Since she's got here she's been in something of a catatonic state, and despite all our best efforts to reach her progress has been limited. The only time she does anything is if she's touched. She begins to scream and needs to be sedated. I hate to think what she's witnessed[/color]." Dr. Feldman shakes his head sadly. "[color=#0040FF]Still, I'm confident that eventually we'll be able to bring her out of it. But this could take months if not years. Healing takes time. "I won't stop you from seeing her, if you'd like. Maybe you can say something that gets through to her, at least to some extent. I just ask you don't mention the fate of her daughter. Mrs. Harrogate was already clinically depressed from the recent death of her husband. I do not think she could recover if she knew her daughter died. I also must insist I remain in the room while you interview her, just to ensure she does not get too upset[/color]." [ooc]Nik can try Persuade to convince the doctor to stay outside while he talks to her, if he likes.[/ooc]
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Edmund flashes his badge and introduces himself.

"Hello there Mrs Maretti, my name is Agent Rue. We are looking into the recent events that have unfortunately hit Glenridge. May I discuss this with you please so that we can see if the local force, unlikely though it is, to see if they might have possibly overlooked anything?"
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa smiles, her instincts about the doctor confirmed. "Thank you, Doctor," she says. "I'm one of the Federal Agents, yes. Vanessa Marchand. It's true, FBI agents are getting more attractive in the nineties - or at least more female. I'm what they call a 'Starling,' one of many young women who joined the Bureau after being inspired by the character of Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs. I've seen pictures of the bodies, and those were bad enough, but I may benefit from a closer look. I have medical training too, which is why I was the one who came here. But let's start with the autopsy reports. I'd like copies of the full reports, please, not just the summary."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik
Persuade,Persuade 70: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/508893]Persuade[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]8[/b]
Nik realises that he's going to have to lie through his teeth to pull this one off. But he has no doubt that this woman has seen something that has completely shattered her view of what she thought the world was like, and he can understand that. He looks Doctor Feldman straight in the eyes.

“Listen Doctor. I know that you want to protect this woman from any further damage. And I swear that I won’t tell her the truth about her daughter. But the reason I’m here is that I specialize in cases like this. My brief is to interview witnesses who have undergone extreme mental trauma. I can’t have any distractions – she needs my full attention and I need hers. So please, let me have the room. I won’t hurt her any more than she is already suffering now. By the way, what's her first name?"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Edmund,[color=#0040FF]"Of course. Come in, please. Don't mind the mess[/color]." The house is largely neat, but Rue gets the sense largely is viewed as a flaw by Ms. Maretti. She leads him to a sitting room. An open window allows bright sunlight to stream in, and a painting of sailboats hangs in the corner. [color=#0040FF]"Can I get you coffee, or anything[/color]?" Caroline asks. She seems to find some peace sliding back into the role of hostess. Once she's met to his needs, she sits down as well. [color=#0040FF]"The children are at school. I thought it would be better for them to have some sort of routine in their lives. My youngest is still asking when Daddy's coming home. And I don't know what to tell her. How do you tell your child their father was murdered and his killer is still out there[/color]?" [color=#0040FF]"I'll help in anyway I can, but I don't know much. Carl was a good provider. He had no enemies, no gambling debts. He wasn't seeing anyone else. The last time I spoke to him was noon of... that day. He called me and asked what I was making for dinner. I said lamb. He complained lightly. Carl was never much for lamb. He was more a burger guy[/color]." she smiled, bittersweet."[color=#0040FF] He told me he loved me and he'd be home after his last appointment ended. He mentioned he might be a little late though. Apparently there was a backlog in the office. This wasn't unusual, so I thought nothing of it[/color]. [color=#0040FF] "When he wasn't home by eight I called the office, but no one answered. That's when I knew something was wrong. I waited until ten before I called the police. They told me he hadnot been missing long enough, but they'd keep an eye out. Then the next day, around nine or so... I got the call his body had been found."[/color]
Vanessa,"[color=#0040FF]Well a pleasure to meet you, Agent Marchand. And please, just call me Stephen. I hate formality, especially when we're both examining a corpse. Short of fornicating I can't imagine much more intimate than that[/color]." He chuckles. "[color=#0040FF]Right, the reports. If you would step into my office[/color]..." Stephen's office is messy. Papers clog every available surface, and Vanessa finds herself standing backwardly as the doctor looks through a stack of them, apparently using his own sorting system. Finnally though,h e holds out a folder for her. "[color=#0040FF]Here you are, my dear[/color]." Looking it over, Vanessa can find that all three victims were in good to excellent health pre killing. The cause of death was the same for all three; intense trauma caused by an unknown weapon. Santorini believes the tool used to be something like a tree-limb cutter, a blunt yet strong tool. He has some questions however, since the wounds do not line up exactly the way they would if someone used such a tool. But at the moment he notes it's his best guess for what they're looking for. Portions of the body were also marked by wounds caused by a thin yet serrated weapon, much like a bear trap. Yet Santorini notes again that none of these wounds match any known weapon exactly; a bear trap is simply the best estimate. The doctor also says an animal could have technically caused the wounds, but no animal that he knows of could match the exact wound patterns found on the corpses. The spines of each of the victims were removed violently from the base upwards to the back of the neck. There is severe trauma all over, especially in the hips, shoulders, and ribcage. Santorini compares the bodies to ruined bags of bones and severed muscles. The spines were never recovered in any of the murders. Examining Hatvan and Harrogate in particular, Santorini offers his opinion that these two bodies were dropped from a large height, explaining some of the trauma. He suggests the police look for helicopters or some other type of flight craft . He does note that all three bodies were very likely dead before they were dumped. Lastly, he notes whatever was causing these murders had a degree of superhuman strength that is nearly unfathomable. When Vanassa is done reading, Stephen looks at her with some sympathy. [color=#0040FF]"It's perplexing, isn't it? Before I came here for my pseudo retirement, I worked in NYC. We saw a lot of strange and brutal stuff in that office. But nothing on the level of this[/color]. [ooc]Vanessa can roll HUMINT. A pass gets the impression the doctor very much wants to say more, but is reluctant.[/ooc] "[color=#0040FF]I did find some psychical evidence on the bodies. A moment[/color]." He unlocks his work safe and brings out several test tubes, handing one to Vanessa. Inside it is some sort of gray gooey substance. "[color=#0040FF]That was found underneath the victim's fingernails. I have no idea what it is. I can't even make an educated guess. I sent it off for testing at Quantico, but they've not gotten back to me yet. Aside from that, no hair, skin, blood, or saliva samples could be found on any of the victims. But whatever this gray goo is, it's our only lead on who the killer is."[/color]
Nik,Doctor Feldman seems conflicted. But Nik seems sincere enough that he nods. "[color=#0040FF]Well, far be it from me to tell you how to do your job. Alright, I'll wait outside. But please, if you cause her any sort of distress back off. She's in a fragile state now. The slightest push could lose her completely. Her name is Sandra. She has a history of depression, as I've said, and was on several prescriptions at the time of the abduction. Also, we beleive she can hgear everything we're saying to her. She's just unable or unwilling to respond, at present[/color]." He leads Nik to a second floor and past several rooms that seem more like hotel rooms than anything that brings to mind the word institution. At the end of a corridor he stops at one door,then knocks on it gently before opening it. A woman is sitting on the floor in the middle of the room, staring blankly ahead. Aside from the blank stare she's quite attractive, with youthful looks that haven't quite faded despite the trauma she witnessed. "[color=#0040FF]Good evening Sandra. I apologize for the interruption, but I'd like to introduce you to Agent Nikolas Siilasvuo. He's here to ask you a few questions. We'd greatly appreciate if you could answer them[/color]." Sandra does not acknowledge being addressed. She just continues to stare blankly ahead. Dr. Feldman smiles sadly at Nik. "I[color=#0040FF]'ll be right outside, should you need anything[/color]." He closes the door, and Nik is now alone with the traumatized woman. [ooc]To get through to her will require some rolls. I encourage Nik to get creative.[/ooc]
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Edmund drinks his coffee and compliments Mrs Maretti on it, (though it's not really to his taste.) He nods as Mrs Maretti paints the picture of her husband as a saint, Well he may have been but this seems too good to be true - a man without flaws is a man who has learned to cover his tracks well in Agent Rue's experience, or is it just the recent cases that have him so cynical and jaded.

"Where is his practice please, and does anyone else work at there?" As he says this he thinks to himself;
  "Maybe there is someone with some information that could shed some light on this case?"  
Last edited by Cearlan on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It seems like there's something more you want to say," says Vanessa. "It might help you to get it off your chest, Stephen, and I'm a good listener."
OOC,HUMINT roll (52% skill) about [b]Stephen[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Sandra, I’m Nik he begins. “I’m here to help you get Lauren back.”

He feels like a shit for such a blatant lie, but he doesn’t have any choice. He wants to know if he can reach out to her, and help her understand what she saw.
HUMINT,HUMINT 70: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/509282]HUMINT[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]69[/b]

“I know that you saw something that you couldn’t believe was real. I know that because I’ve seen things like that too. The shock can hurt you for a while, but you will feel better. You have to feel better. Did you see something like that? Something that people say cannot be real?”
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   Assuming Mrs Maretti gives the practice's address, or I could get it from the police files / phone book if needs be.  
Thank you for your assistance Mrs Maretti, Would you mind answering one more question for me please. Do you think that the children could know anything about this? I don't really want to go around asking them personally, but you understand that we have to uncover any possible lead we can. Again, you have my deepest ssympathies, and if there is anything I can do, please do not hesitate to contact me on this number," as Rue hands her his card.
OOC:   Assuming, again that she is compliant then I'll go and see what I can find out at his practice.  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Edmund,Indeed, the coffee is truly dreadful, though Rue's host seems not to mind. [color=#0040FF]"His practice is downtown[/color]. " She gives the address. [color=#0040FF]"Carl recently took on a partner, Phil Cummins. He's been doing the work since... He was not there the day of the incident though. they generally alternate days. You might want to talk to his receptionist, Flo. She worked for him for a few years, and is still employed by Phil[/color]. "[color=#0040FF]No, my children are eight and ten. I don't see how they could know anything. But If you give me your number, I'll call and let you know if they say anything to me[/color]." She does not looked thrilled by the prospect of discussing their father's murder with them, but she steels herself. [ooc]The practice would be closed for the day. Since you're going to be away for a week perhaps this is a good place to end it for the moment?[/ooc]
Vanessa,Stephen looks a bit embarrassed. "[color=#0040FF]You feds truly know everything. Well, alright. Hopefully you won't dismiss this as the ranting of a loony old man. "I've been going over these cases in my head, and they just don't make sense. No human could have committed these crimes bare handed, yet the sort of weapons used don't match up with anything I've ever heard of. I've consulted with experts, colleagues of mine, and none of them have heard of it either. We're completely baffled. "There's so much about this case that is unusual. I'd have to assume the killer is some sort of animal, but none I've ever heard of. I consulted with local zoos, none have had a predator escape recently. I can only think whatever's killings these people is something with a very cunning intelligence but is unknown to science," it seems to pain him to say this. "Nothing else makes the slightest bit of sense, and it would explain the unusual organic matter we found on the bodies." "I've seen a few strange cases in my time as a medical examiner in New York. Prematurely aged bodies, Spontaneous combustion... but this, this takes the cake. Agent Marchand, you have your work cut out for you. But please, if you need any assistance I'll be happy to provide it. I'm very interested in what's causing these murders. Just please, be careful[/color]."
Nik,There's the slightest movement when Nik mentions Lauren. He almost misses it, but Sandra blinks, and moves ever so slightly. Then she resumes her catatonic state, but Nik knows she heard him. As he continues to speak, her breathing become irregular, and Nik sees her arm begin to tremble. She's very close to a breakdown. [ooc]Let's have Nik make a persuade roll. If it fails, roll me modified Luck, Pow*3. If either of these rolls pass, he can then make an idea roll, int*5.[/ooc]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't think you're a loony at all, Stephen," says Vanessa in a soothing tone. "I've seen my share of seemingly inexplicable things in my own work. There is an explanation for them, we just don't know it yet. There are surely rare animals unknown to science. They have been witnessed, but often scientists disbelieve the witnesses. These animals are known as cryptids. The Loch Ness Monster is probably the most famous of them. Plenty of people have seen it, but nobody has brought back proof yet. From the description, it may be some sort of remnant aquatic dinosaur - or more likely a small family of them, considering how far back the sightings go. Whatever is responsible for these killings may be something along those lines. Thank you, I will be careful. I'm ready to examine the bodies now. I'm sure you've done a thorough job, but a second set of trained eyes wouldn't hurt."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik
Persuade,Persuade 70:[url=http://orokos.com/roll/509567]Persuade[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]39[/b]
"I can help you if you tell me what you saw. I can help Lauren. I know that these things are real. They can be beaten."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Vanessa,Dr. Santorini seemed relived that Vanessa does not laugh in his face. "[color=#0040FF]Of course[/color]" he says, showing her the bodies. All three have been kept in some sort of solution to prevent any further decomposition. They all look hideous, the pictures barely having done justice to the grievous wounds. It's only Vanessa's unfortunate growing experience with this sort of thing that keeps her stable. Dr. Santorini points out the various wounds and which he believed to have been fatal. Importantly, all three of the victims appeared to have been attacked from the back, as something not quite like claw marks are apparent on each. After Vanessa has had her fill, Dr. Santorini shakes her hand and walks her out. "[color=#0040FF]Can I give you a lift back to your hotel, my dear? I'd hate for you to go alone at this time of night. Though speaking frankly, I'd hate to be so either[/color]." He offers the sort of wry smile that hints at truth. Vanessa has a ride from Nik coming after he finishes up at the institution, though Nik had a cellular phone. She could call him if she wanted to change plans. It's around this moment that Vanassa's aforementioned phone begins to ring. Excusing herself, she takes it. [color=#0040FF]"Agent SALLY[/color]?" A man says after a pause. He has a smoker's voice, deep and guttural. "[color=#0040FF]This is MARCUS. You were supposed to contact me today after you arrived. I presume things are in order, and your failure to do so was not proof of any trouble falling upon your team? [/color]
Nik,Nik's words calm Saundra down, at least for the moment. But Mrs. Harrogate says nothing in response to his pleas. She blinks once again, but that is the only reaction to his impassioned plea. She continues to stare blankly ahead, not at Nik.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik sighs inwardly. He needs a way to get through to her, so that they can find out what they are up against. He decides to try once more with the same approach.

Lauren needs our help Sandra. I can help her, but only if you’re able to tell me what you saw. I need you to come back to the world, and help me fight this thing. You have to do it, for Lauren.”
Persuade,Persuade 70: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/509682]Persuade[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]66[/b]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, sir, we got in fine," says Vanessa, answering the call. "We've just finished getting briefed, and now I can fill you in." She goes over what she has learned so far.
OOC,Ack! I'd completely forgotten that bit at the beginning that said to call after we'd checked in with the locals. :oops:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Nik,Nik's words are heartfelt, butt hey don't seem to reach Sandra. The woman just blinks again in response. She continues to stare ahead. [ooc]If Nik is out of ideas he can give me one more roll, INT*3 to get a hint.[/ooc]
Vanessa,MARCUS listens in silence as Vanessa briefs him.When she's done, he asks a question. "[color=#0040FF]Hearing what you've heard, do you think this case is of interest to our organization? We think there's a good chance it is. It's why we called you all in. "The help I can offer you is limited. Keep me informed, and if you have any questions you're to go through me. Don't contact anyone else. The more insulated we keep this, the better. There is one contact I can give you. We have an asset working at the Museum of Natural History in NYC. He's not a member of our group, but he's consulted with us. His name is Dr. Jensen Wu, and he's an expert on what we'd deem historical artifacts. He also is as much of an expert on the occult as one can be without being tainted by it. Some might say he's even gone a little too far in that direction, but I don't make the rules[/color]. "[color=#0040FF]If you discover anything here related to those subjects, check with him. He may be able to help[/color]." He gives an address and phone number. "[color=#0040FF]Now, as for your objective, it should be self explanatory. Stop the person or entity behind these killings with a minimum amount of attention being drawn to you or the organization's existence. A secondary objective is to find a good cover story to satisfy the public, something nice and mundane. It's not critical, but we want to leave folks asking as few questions as possible. "Lastly, if you encounter any phone calls from other agents claiming to be within our organization, contact me immediately. Same if you notice anyone following you. I have to go now, be seeing you.[/color]" He terminates the call. [ooc]No worries, the hazard of play by post. I don't mind, though MARCUS might. He's a bit paranoid, justly or not. :D[/ooc]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik changes tack.

"Tell me about Lauren, Sandra. What kind of person is she? She must be popular at school. I bet you two are particularly close though. Am I right?"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Nik,His words only receive a brief blink, followed by more silence and blank staring.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

"This is going nowhere " Nik thinks. "How can I bring her out of this?

"Why was Lauren taken, Sandra? What did she do? What did you do?"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Nik,His new words bring forth no verbal response. She just blinks and continues to look ahead. [ooc]Good news, I rolled Nik's idea and he passed to get a hint. If you want to figure this out on your own I'll spoil it.[/ooc]
Idea,Nik notices some sort of pattern to Sandra's blinking whenever he asks her a question. He can't quite figure out what is is though, but it might be worth following up on this.

Return to “Delta Green: S-Cell”