OOC

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: OOC

Post by Mr. Handy »

The pace is fine with me too, and I'm ready to head back to the hotel.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Dave wrote:Three shots @60%, hoping only 97-00 will be mishaps.

Dave rolled 3d100
82, 99, 69
Ouch. Well at least you can check Firearms for improvement. :D

I mostly wanted to quote this to explain how fumbles work in the new DG. If you score a doubles (11, 22) below or at your skill rating, it's a critical success. Above and it's a fumble. In this case, I'm going to have Stanyard's gun jam on the second shot, and he'll need to spend a turn trying to unjam it. Think I'll houserule here a bit.

Make a roll again. On anything but a fumble Stanyard gets the gun clear and wastes the next turn. On a fumble, the gun is rendered inoperable, at least in the short term. On a crit success, he's able to get it unjamed fast enough that he can still make his attack that turn. Sound good?
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Putting a roll at the dice thread! 8-)
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Hope you guys can excuse the railroadey nature of the last post. But I figured it was time to get the group back together. I'll try to keep such things to a minimum however.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

So we're nearing the end of the first scenario. I'm willing to continue this if you guys want and there's still interest. Let me know if you're in. :D

Next ooc post will be going through the scenario and explaining some of what was going on and my own decisions running it, so you all can get a better idea of what happened.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm in! :)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Yes, I'd like to continue!
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I'm in too, but Stanyard is not that impressed. 8-)
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

The monster in this scenario was called The Traveler. It arrived on Earth a few months ago during a meteor shower in West Virginia. Unfortunately for us, the Traveler was interested in a homicidal form of tourism. Infected a local, it began its killing spree, ding the most depraved things and enjoyed watching as its hosts screamed and went insane under his control. Whenever its host died or the attention became too much it switched bodies, and it carved a bloody path throughout the United States.

It's host before Santana was Elaine Braverman. Mrs. Braverman was an overweight housewife out in the middle of the desert. She was not a very effective host, and nearly died before getting too far from the car. Unfortunately Emmanuel Santana happened upon her. Unwilling to let her die, he came to her rescue. No good deed goes unpunished, as the saying goes.

You guys actually got pretty fortunate fighting the Traveler. First, once the host is dead all attacks against the body do an automatic 1 damage. Santana had 13 hp left when his head was blown off, but I decided the Traveler would play dead and let you guys take him back to the morgue. He'd have either infected another while being transported or have struck in the morgue. But the group's decision to burn him forced his hand.
Here too things could have gone badly. Had Vanessa's attack have failed to hit the Traveler and instead hit the host's flesh, she likely would have been paralyzed. The others would have likely followed. The Traveler also heals 1d10 points per turn, so even outside its host it's rather difficult to kill. But the attack hit and did more than enough damage to kill him, which made the fight rather trivial. Well done.

This scenario seemed rather railroaded, but it's designed to introduce the pc's to Delta Green and functions as more or less of a tutorial. I hope the next scenario will allow a bit more freedom to you guys. I've planned out a few different outcomes and it will be interesting to see where we head. This scenario is nearly done, just a bit of house keeping after the meeting with Ms. Green is over with and you're all officially inducted into Delta Green( at least the ones of you who decide to join. ; )

Any questions about the scenario or feedback feel free to give it. But I hope you all enjoyed and are looking forward to the next adventure.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

I enjoyed it very much SP, thanks for running it. That’s the first Delta Green game I’ve played – I think I would enjoy it more as a player than a keeper. The investigative aspects of it were the most enjoyable for me. I like too that you can get pretty much straight into the story – there’s no need to spend ages introducing the characters. It is a bit railroady but it's a good story and I always wanted to see what would come next.

I must confess though that once I saw the pattern with the killer dying and then a new one starting, I knew where the game would go. The story seems inspired by the Kyle MacLachlan film The Hidden which I used to watch all the time, which in turn is inspired by the old Hal Clement novel Needle, which I read last year. So when Nik was talking about a virus, what I really wanted to say was ‘alien’! The story is obviously a bit different, but if you know those two works, you can see what might happen. Still it is original enough!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, I had a lot of fun too!

I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I'd figured it was an alien parasitical creature that took over a new host when the previous one was killed. Of course, it did help that we had allies such as Coyote and Ms. Green revealing the evidence for us. I was lucky that I hit with the shotgun and did so much damage.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Ah yes, Coyote. That was a spirit summoned by one of the shamen The Traveler had captured. He either called out to his god or had the POW to summon a manifestation that persisted even after his death, depending on how pure you like your mythos.Coyote then set it digging up the Traveler's bodies and doing everything he could to foil the creature. You guys could have developed more of a relationship with the entity, but you got most of the pertinent clues.

Just waiting on Cearlan's response and I'll move us on. No rush on that, though. :)
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

SP, I enjoyed the game very much. Big thumbs for managing the scenario and taking in bits from other media,, and making new content. A good balance between player input and power managing what's happening. Good stuff!
TVblog

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Fully enjoyed the game and yes I'm in.

I figured out that it was an alien parasite pretty early on and was thinking along the lines of the Shan. One of the big give-aways for this was when we discovered about the previous meteor showers, along with the evidence of something bursting out of the bodies a-la John Hurt in Alien.

I'm playing Rue as being skeptical of anything connected with the NSA, hence my guarded response to Ms Green.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Stanyard will sit out the beginning of the next scenario but will be available within a phone call, should you need assistance.
TVblog

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

That's fine. I'm sure the others will need your help soon enough. :D

Now it's time for probably the "nicest" part of the game; san rewards! I tend to be pretty liberal with these, but do let me know if you think I need to modify in either direction.

Everyone can get 1d4 san for killing the Traveler. Through a frightening enemy, the team knows it can be killed. More than that, they know the world, nay the universe is a little brighter with that thing gone.

Everyone who signs up with Delta Green gets an additional 1d4 san. You all know there's a support system out there and more people in the know fighting these things. You have the backing of parts of the most powerful government in the world. What can go wrong?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sanity gain:
[dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Also, before I forget, everyone should go through and see what skills they failed to use during the scenario. Every skill you failed at using can be increased by one percent. It's not a lot, but every little bit helps.

Once you've all decided your names and leader of your cell I'll get into the other way you can improve skills and attributes.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

SAN: 1d4 4

SAN: 1d4 3

Nik gets a point for both Bureaucracy and Search.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Rue

San 1
[dice]0[/dice]

San 2
[dice]1[/dice]
Playing;