OOC

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Re: OOC

Post by Silver Priest »

If any of you are curious, here's a pic of Sonja:
Sonja Dewey,[img]https://i.postimg.cc/0y6zMzdT/sonja-dewey.jpg[/img]
It's possible Jose or Griff may have heard of Phenomen-X or even seen an episode. It's a late night television show, aired when the only other thing on TV is infomercials for diet products and the like. It's a show that purports to investigate the unknown, but in practice most of their reports are schlocky nonsense about Elvis sightings and JFK being killed by time travelers from the future. Despite this, it has a passionate following and large audience. Sonja Dewey is one of their star reporters, for a certain definition of star. And reporter.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Silver Priest wrote:If any of you are curious, here's a pic of Sonja:
Sonja Dewey,[img]https://i.postimg.cc/0y6zMzdT/sonja-dewey.jpg[/img]
It's possible Jose or Griff may have heard of Phenomen-X or even seen an episode. It's a late night television show, aired when the only other thing on TV is infomercials for diet products and the like. It's a show that purports to investigate the unknown, but in practice most of their reports are schlocky nonsense about Elvis sightings and JFK being killed by time travelers from the future. Despite this, it has a passionate following and large audience. Sonja Dewey is one of their star reporters, for a certain definition of star. And reporter.
I was not curious but i now appreciate it ;)
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

For some reason I've not gotten push mail from the site. I'll catch up tomorrow
~Bony End of Story~
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Understood Anatomist, I'll wait for you to respond before I continue; don't want you to get too far behind.:)
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Apologies if I’m a little slower in posting at the moment. I’ve just got a new job and the learning curve is extremely steep! I’ll do my best to keep up and hope my middle-aged brain cells hold out :D
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

José will take reinforced kevlar +4, silencer to his glock and a set of thre flash-bang
~Bony End of Story~
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Noted. Though you won't get the gear until the courier arrives tomorrow, so keep that in mind. ;)
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

I’m still trying to decide what to pick from the lists. Griff isn’t a fighter, so it seems counterintuitive to select guns and the like.
Perhaps PPE kit and some advanced first aid/medical stuff?
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Heads up. I will be traveling to an din Chile from 2019-12-13 to 2020-01-06.
I *think* i will be able to post daily, but i rather tell about it so no one thinks its strange if i disappear a couple of days at the time between those dates.
~Bony End of Story~
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

I think we are nearly done with the scenario. Feel free to post your final thoughts, and if there is anything else you'd like to do while in town, please let me know.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

It was a lot of fun SP. I thought the group might get wiped out on a couple of occasions, but we pulled through. I would have liked to take on the Majestic group, but I didn’t want to sacrifice the other players.

I think the only things left to do are to make sure Sonja and Shaeffer are on board, and see to Jane. Sonja will need to account for the disappearance of her cameraman.

Do you have another scenario in mind?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thanks-- I'll post some more info about the scenario and the moments that most surprised me later, spoiled so as not to ruin anyone's enjoyment who does not want to know more than their characters.

As for another scenario, I was torn on it honestly, but given the Nik cliffhanger I think I'd feel remiss if I did not. ;) Still trying to decide what works best next however, and may take a brief break as I set everything up. Funny you should mention Majestic though, I may have an idea there...

Very happy you enjoyed though!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I enjoyed the scenario too, and I'm looking forward to the next one!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

There's a follow-up campaign, The New Age. At least I think it loosely follows-up. Are you thinking about that?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

I'm thinking of the New Age. It's a fun one, and doubles as a mini campaign of its own. But it seems like a season ender for me- the campaign may not end there, but I'd probably at least do a time skip after it. I've been dropping a few loose ends throughout the campaign that I want to clear up first beforehand.

Spoilers below on what was really going on and some of my thoughts on your actions while running it.
Spoiler warning,The Greys and Majestic have a strategic agreement. In exchange for certain benefits, Majestic allows them to expierment freely on American citizens as long as these citizens are not harmed. (As you can probably guess, the Greys have not always followed this agreement to the letter.) The Greys were conducting a large scale expierment on citizens in the rural town of Groversville, of which Billy Ray Spivey was an early victim of theirs. To prevent any outside attention, the Greys used protomatter to effectively drug most of the citizens who lacked exceptional will and have them rationalize away any particular anonymity, such as lights in the sky or certain "altered"members of the town no longer coming home. MJ-12 also did their part by launching a widespread disinformation campaign to overwhelm any legitimate UFO sighting that was able to get out. The result made Groversville a laughing stock. They also had a few actors in town to play the part of townsfolk and aggressively make fools of themselves to any UFO researches that came by to investigate. This was whom Sonja interviewed right before she and Allen were abducted. The plan likely would have worked had Billy Ray not been captured by Delta Green. You all arrived in town and were able to get to the bottom of things, after a fashion. And you all discovered that The Greys in turn are puppets of some other alien intelligence. I fully expected a fight to break out here, and it's hard to say if you guys would have won. But instead Nik surprised me by tying to parlay. The scenario gives no information on the consequences of this, but I recalled another scenario that involves dealing with the Mi-Go and ways for DG to communicate with them, and roughly used the same system. You all were able to say the right things, and were smart enough to press. Had you just have left satisfied after the Mi-Go agreed to fix the problem they would have weaponized the protomatter and the entire town would have been dead within 12 hours.(I'd probably have allowed you time to reach a hospital and seek medical treatment, but the roll would have been at a penalty.) By pressing the matter you came to an understanding with the aliens and the loss of life was about as low as it could have been. Nik was even able to save Jane. Speaking of Nik, this was written into the scenario. One of the agents is abducted and operated on by the Mi-Go, their memory then erased. I actually wish I had changed the circumstances of this operation a little, perhaps even having Nik appear clinically dead afterwards, but it worked well enough hopefully. As written, the character is effectively doomed-- when the Mi-Go cease their expierment the new organs fail, and only by allowing them to continue it indefinitely does he have a chance. But this struck me as unfair. And while DG is a harsh game, I feel like a character should always have some chance of survival, however slight. Actions outside of their control should never guarantee their death. This allowed me to reintroduce Alzis, and also draw Nik further into that orbit. I'm looking forward to seeing that play out. What else... Jane's baby was pure protomatter spawn. It was effectively an infiltrator for the aliens. Gutted as she is, it's probably for the best that it expired. Unfortunately her sanity has probably suffered from this experience, but if she ever has another child they will be normal. And Sonja's cameraman could have been saved, but it would have required great effort-- he was the brain in the vat, a fate now shared by Griff, but DG which tends to be unbendingly bleak actually is fairly optimistic about a long term stabilization for such a condition, so if you had rescued him he could have recovered to some extent. Unfortunately Majestic would have also been very interested in studying him, and would have demanded you hand him over. So really only killing both the aliens and Majestic's goons would have gotten him to safety. A near impossoble task, but I would have given it a very nice SAN cost to compensate for the difficulty.
I'm going to make a final wrap up post for the scenario before posting any san rewards you get here. Then before our next scenario I have a brief interlude planned, though I'm not sure if I'll open a new thread or attach it on here. If you've any questions or final thoughts about things, please post them here. I'm happy to answer them. :)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Sounds great! It would be good to get a chance to clear up the unfinished business with the Greys and their allies if possible.

My reasoning during the game for not fighting was that as the aliens were the ones who obviously created the mess, they would be the ones who could fix it. And they couldn't do that if they were dead. Nik was very close to opening up on the Majestic people though, if they had said the wrong thing...
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Happy new year folks! Looking forward to the next bit SP
~Bony End of Story~
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Glad you all enjoyed! Here's the san rewards:

1d6 for saving the town and ensuring the best relative outcome for it.

1d3 for recruiting Sonja, and 1d3 for recruiting Shaeffer. Thanks to the agents efforts, DG has gained two influential allies--provided they can be trusted.

Nik can have an extra 1 san for saving Jane's life. It would be more, but he's still not sure what he agreed to. ;)

Unfortunately you all suffer a san loss as well. Lose 1/1d4 for failing to save Allen Eddington and abandoning Griff. Who knows what fate befell him? Even if the agents felt it was necessarily, it's likely to lead to some sleepless nights.

Feel free to post an yof your agents closing thoughts on this operation on the thread. How do they readjust to normal life, if they are able to? Do they feel haunted, or have they won enough of a victory to keep them grounded?

We're going to skip forward a few months. In the next few days, agents can decide on their two downtime actions as usual. There's one more thing that we need to do in the thread, but this will take place after the time skip. Thanks for sticking with me through another scenario, and here's to a great year in and out of game :)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

SAN gain: 1d6 1

For Sonja: SAN gain: 1d3 3

For Shaeffer: SAN gain: 1d3 2

For losing Allen and Griff: SAN: 1d100 28 1 SAN

Total gain: 6

I don't know about guilt for abandoning characters - we did really well to save as many lives as we did! I think we would have spent more time trying to convince Griff if the aliens weren't intent on leaving so quickly. But the player decided to leave the game - what could we do?

Thanks to everyone and have a great new year.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sanity gain for saving Groversville:
[dice]0[/dice]
Sanity gain for recruiting Sonja Dewey:
[dice]1[/dice]
Sanity gain for recruiting Dr. Shaeffer:
[dice]2[/dice]