Page 1 of 1

Nik's thread

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:02 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   For fun, I would ask only Nik to read this until Mr.Handy's character comes in.  

Nik comes back to consciousness in an unfamiliar room. It is dimly lit, and a window near his bed is closed, dark blinds drawn around it. A radio next to his bed plays The Police. There's a TV hanging on the wall, but it is currently off, and the remote does not seem to be in open sight.

Nik can rise to his feet, but it proves a bit difficult. His whole body aches, and he may still be suffering the effects of the drug he had been injected with. He also notes that he's dressed in pajamas. There are no signs of his clothes. Or his gun, for that matter.

A half open door seems to lead into a bathroom. Another door is closed completely, but would seem to be the exit from this place.

Re: Nik's thread

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:34 pm
by HoneyDog
“Fuck” Nik thinks. “I really screwed this up”.

He feels sick to his stomach, and it’s not from the drugs.

He goes to the closed door and tries the handle.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:52 am
by Silver Priest
It's a struggle for Nik to make it to the door, but he does so after a moment of arduous labor. Every part of him aches something fierce.

The door opens,and Nik looks out into a hallway. It's filled with similar rooms, about six on each side. Two off the doors are open,and he can hear laughter coming from inside one of the rooms. It sounds like a TV is on.

"Oh, Mr. Siilasvuo. Going for an early morning walk, I see!"

From the east end of the hallway a woman approaches. She looks to be young, fairly plain and a little overweight. She's dressed in a nurses uniform, with a tag that reads Paige and carries a tray.

"I just have your breakfast and morning medication here. We've got some jello for you today!" she says with a broad and friendly smile.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:54 pm
by HoneyDog
Nik retreats back inside the room and waits behind the door.
OOC,Nik will attempt to ambush the woman either here or in the bathroom if the layout of the room allows it. He will put a chokehold on her.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:02 pm
by Silver Priest
ooc,I guess Nik really hates Jello! go ahead and make the roll, but with a 20 percent penalty.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:43 am
by HoneyDog
As the nurse enters the room, Nik kicks the door shut with his heel and grabs her from behind in a chokehold. He gets a good grip with his forearm and begins to squeeze.
Unarmed Combat,Unarmed Combat 61 -20: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/695544]Unarmed Combat[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]5[/b]

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:53 am
by Silver Priest
ooc,There are specific rules for combat after a pin. Basically, any attack gets a +20 bonus when a target is pinned. In this case though, I'd rather truncate the combat and just say Nik is successful.
Nik's arms ache, but his combat training pays off. He grabs the unsuspecting nurse and takes her completely by surprise. The woman lets out a small gasp as the tray of food and pills falls to the floor. She offers a struggle, but the FBI agent finds her easy to hold onto, and he can choke her out or interrogate her as he likes.

It's about this time however that Nik notices that something is wrong with his arms. The skin looks worn and old, covered with wrinkles and liver spots.

The nurse seems to be trying to say something, likely making a plea of some kind.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:38 pm
by HoneyDog
When the woman is unconscious Nik lowers her gently to the floor. Then he begins searching her for anything useful.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:54 pm
by Silver Priest
Aside from a nurses uniform and name tag, the only thing Nik finds is some sort of portable radio. It also has a button on it marked Panic.

The food on the tray( most of which is now on the floor) looks entirely edible. The medication is just unmarked pills, none of which Nik can identify.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:16 am
by HoneyDog
Nik takes the radio and opens the door to peer outside. If it is clear, he will move out, looking for an exit.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:01 am
by Silver Priest
At present it is indeed clear, and Nik is able to walk out. More like shuffle, really; his gait is slow, and he finds himself out of breath by the time he reaches the end of the hallway.

He passes an open door that leads into a large lounge. Several people are inside the room, all of them elderly. Some of them play various games such as chess, though most are either watching the TV or talking to one another. A few nurses shuffle about as well.

An old man sees Nik and his face lights up. "Get in here, Siilasvuo. Don't think I forgot you promised to play me in checkers! He cackles in glee.

The hallway stretches further ahead, though at present Nik does not see an exit.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:16 am
by HoneyDog
Nik continues on, looking for the exit.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:26 am
by Silver Priest
Ignoring the man, Nik moves forward. He passes a few more elderly residents, most of whom smile or nod at him. It would seem he was fairly well known around here.

He passes by a cafeteria and more resident rooms down some side hallways, but he finally spies a sign pointing to the entrance. As he approaches it,a receptionist is visible, along with a set of double doors leading outside into the daylight. Unfortunately, a guard is positioned at each side of the door. It seems impossible to get past them without attracting their notice. Perhaps he would be allowed to leave, though? Alternatively, he could try and look around some more--, but it was likely that sooner or later the nurse's absence would be noticed.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:55 am
by HoneyDog
“There must be a service entranceNik thinks. He starts to look for a kitchen, or somewhere where he can change his clothes.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:30 am
by Silver Priest
random roll,[dice]0[/dice]
As Nik begins to head off, he is interrupted.

"Ah, Mr. Siilasvuo!"

An orderly is coming his way from down the hall. Like the rest of the staff here, he seems disarmingly friendly. His nametag reads Bob.

"There you are, I've been looking for you. I've got good news for you today. Someone's here to see you in the visiting center. If you'll follow me." He begins to walk down the hall and seems to expect Nik to follow.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:59 pm
by HoneyDog
"I'll be there" Nik replies. An idea occurs to him. "I just have to use the john".
OOC,If this is acceptable, Nik will look for and activate a fire alarm unobserved at the first opportunity.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:28 pm
by Silver Priest
"Of course," Bob says. "I'll let Debbie know you are coming." He heads off.
OOC:   Let's have a search roll for Nik to see if he can find a fire alarm.  

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:08 pm
by HoneyDog
Nik scans the walls, and a smile of satisfaction crosses his face. He bangs his fist into the big red button.
Search,Search 43: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/696715]Search[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]40[/b]

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 pm
by Silver Priest
As soon as Nik hits the button, a rapid wailing can be heard.

Someone gets on the intercom speaker and calmly begins to relay instructions for the residents to evacuate. Nik can see residents slowly begin to exit their rooms. Staff are coming along and guiding them as well.

At present, no one is paying attention to him, but this may change quickly, especially if he does not head to the main entrance that everyone seems to be being shepherded towards. And of course, he has yet to find another exit.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:12 am
by HoneyDog
Nik figures that it might be easier to slip away once he is outside. He joins the other people moving outside the building, trying to look unobtrusive, but keeping his eyes peeled for Vanessa and any opportunity to slip away or hide.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 am
by Silver Priest
The line shuffles along slowly but efficiently. Staff help the frailer patients to walk. Nik notices that all of this exertion is beginning to get to him. He feels like he needs to sit down, or at least have some support soon, or he may collapse. But he's also confident that for now he can keep going.

He makes it outside to find that most of the patients are gathered a short distance away near the sidewalk to the building. Looking back, he sees the building itself is a fairly large concrete construction. It looks old but reasonably well kept, and a sign hangs over the doors.

Golden Homes Retirement Community

Where Your New Life Begins!

"Keep calm, everyone!" One of the orderlies instructs in a calmly assertive voice. "We're inspecting the community for any signs of a fire.We've also radioed for the buses: They should be here soon. In the meantime, find a buddy or a staff member."

Nik looks up. The sky is clear, and it's a beautiful blue day. There's barely a cloud in the sky. Around him are trees, seemingly in all directions, and wide open greenery. He can't see any other signs of civilization.
ooc,Make one more Search roll for no particular reason, please.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Search [url=http://orokos.com/roll/697022]Search[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]82[/b] Fail. Is there no sign of a road?

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:08 pm
by Silver Priest
ooc,Yeah, there's a road but Nik can't see where it leads to.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
Nik looks for an opportunity to slip away into the trees and head towards the road. He can rest there. He tries not to think too much about his surroundings right now; he’ll take stock once he can get away from this place and can think again.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:42 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   That's going to require a stealth roll, unfortunately. Hopefully Nik is lucky.  

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:09 am
by HoneyDog
Stealth,Stealth 11: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/697195]Stealth[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]100[/b] I'll leave this up to you! I guess Nik finds some spectacular way of drawing attention to himself.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:29 am
by Silver Priest
Nik waits until everyone nearby is distracted or conversing with someone else before he begins to make his way towards the trees. At first, things are going okay, and he is nearly there when he loses his footing on the hard ground and falls. It knocks the wind out of him and he finds it difficult, if not impossible to get up. But it also attracts the attention of others.

"Mr. Siilasvuo, what are you doing?" someone says. He helps him back to his feet, and Nik can see that it's the same orderly he had just spoken with.

"Are you injured? You know we'll have to look you over, we can't afford one of our patients being injured." He politely but firmly helps Nik over to a sidewalk, where he can sit down.

"What's going on?" A pretty young woman comes hurrying out of the building and heading directly towards them both. She looks vaguely familiar, though he can not place her. Her eyes flash between Nik and the orderly, before settling on the FBI agent. "Are you alright?"

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:22 pm
by HoneyDog
“I’m fine” says Nik, catching his breath. He does his best to look shameful. “I needed a leak so I headed to the trees. Ground was rougher than I thought. I was hoping no-one would notice!”

He grins sheepishly as he looks over the woman, trying to get a sense of who she is.
OOC,What is she wearing?

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:39 pm
by Silver Priest
The woman looks to be in her early 40's. She has an athletic, lithe build and is fairly attractive. She's wearing a dark blue blazer and dress pants, and generally looks to be quite sharp.

At Nik's explanation, she nods and looks to the orderly. "I don't want him going off alone again, or I swear to God I will sue this facility."

The orderly looks uncomfortable. "Sorry. Your father is in good hands with us, Ms. Siilasvuo.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:09 am
by HoneyDog
“No-one’s suing anyone” says Nik. “Now, let me walk my daughter to her car, We have a lot to talk about.”

He takes the woman’s arm.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:06 am
by Silver Priest
"Sorry Dad. But you can't blame me for being overprotective." The woman said. As Nik studies her, he finds traces of familiarity. She had the same chin as him, and her eyes were the color of Debbie's. It was hard to be certain however, and he had no feeling like he should know her.

She and the orderly exchange a look before the man speaks. "I'm afraid I can't allow that, Mr. Siilasvuo. You know the rules. Given the circumstances of your case, you're not to be out of sight of staff unless one of the doctors gives their approval. You're more than welcome to speak to your daughter inside, however, once we are given the all clear. I'm told we should be receiving one shortly.

"I'll speak with my dad privately here, thank you," The woman says, and she stares the orderly down until he moves a distance away. Several people are still visible, but Nik doubts any of them can overhear them if they talk in whispers. Keeping hold of Nik, she allows herself to be led a short distance further away.

"Dad, what the hell is going on?" She asks, concern written on her face. "The doctor said they hoped you were making a breakthrough, but I know you well enough; you were trying to sneak out of here. What's going on? I thought you were finally adjusting to this place. ."
ooc,Nik may need to make a san roll here. He's seen enough where he's realized that he's in a retirement home, he looks(and feels) old, and now someone is claiming to be his daughter. If Nik is believing that any of this is real, please roll 1/1d4... unnatural, we'll go with, since folks do not tend to lose 40 years of their life. If he thinks this is some kind of delusion, he does not need to roll at the moment. He can of course roll other things, such as HUMINT if he likes.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:35 am
by HoneyDog
“You don’t know what you’re talking about” Nik complains.

This must be some kind of hallucination, he thinks. They’re drugging me. Is this some kind of test? I never should have agreed to go with those idiots, I should have trusted my instincts.

“What do you want anyway?” he asks the woman, not unkindly. “Is there something you want to ask me?”
OOC,Can Nik see any parking lot? He wants to get a vehicle.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:49 am
by Silver Priest
The woman's look grows more concerned.

"Have you stopped taking your medication? Damn it, Dad. You promised me you would stick with it!

"What do I want? To see you, of course. to make sure you're okay. After mom passed, you're the only family I have left. I know things have been tough, and I've not been able to visit as much as I liked. But I don't want to lose you too. That's why you need to take your medication and do as the doctors here say."

She sighs. "Greg and I have gotten engaged. Our wedding is coming up, and I hope you'll be able to be there. But you need to stop this persecution complex you have, all this talk of secret agencies and missions. It's not healthy."
ooc,I'll slightly retcon here, as I am notoriously difficult with mapping things out. Nik can see a smaller sub building with a gate attached to the main one. The gate reads[i] parking[/i], and advertises it for both staff and visitors(though visitors have to pay). He sees no other structures, and aside from the road that leads out, no signs of civilization. Also no rush, but you can post in Vanessa's thread whenever you get the time. If you need further cues as to what to do I am happy to help. :)

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:07 pm
by HoneyDog
“Of course I’m taking my medication!” Nik snaps. “And who’s talking about secret missions? Not me! Stop acting so suspicious!”

His mind is working furiously, trying to think of an angle. He needs to get out of here before he runs out of time.

“Look, I’m fine” he tells the woman. “Why don’t you get on home? I’m pretty tired and I should get some rest. Call me soon and come and visit. Bring Greg. Good bye now!”

He turns away and starts heading towards any groups of patients which might be standing around, hoping to blend in and away from any watching eyes.
OOC,Are there any service or delivery trucks in the parking lot?

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:22 pm
by Silver Priest
The woman looks stunned by Nik's response, then hurt.

"Maybe that's.... maybe that's best. I should go. I'll see you later." She turns around and starts heading to the parking lot.
ooc,Nik can't see most of the cars in the parking lot, just the entrance for it. He'd have to actually go inside to do that, and sadly there are no people near the parking entrance at the moment he could blend in with. He could try once again to talk to his "daughter." If he was able to persuade her, he might be able to convince her to let them talk in the privacy of her car. He'd still have to avoid the prying eyes of the staff though, who don't seem eager to let him out of their sight. She might be willing to help Nik though, if she can be trusted. If he'd rather go it alone and does not trust her, he can make another stealth roll to try and sneak his way into the parking lot. And of course, there's the option to wait here and hope different opportunities arise, but Nik does not seem to have taken to retirement very well. ;)

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:49 am
by HoneyDog
Nik turns and follows the woman to the parking lot, hoping she won’t notice.
Stealth,Stealth 31: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/698168]Stealth[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]20[/b]

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:01 am
by Silver Priest
ooc,Sorry, if I'm reading it right Nik's stealth is actually 11, which means this would be a fail. Let me know if I made a mistake though, it's pretty late here. But for now I will post as though you failed.
Nik makes his way after the the woman claiming to be his daughter. She seems to have a good awareness of her surroundings however, because though the rest of the staff do not notice him sneaking off, she does, and she turns to confront him.

"What do you want now?" She asks, and Nik can see she's trying to hold back tears. Thankfully she does not seem to think he was trying to follow her unobserved, so he may still be able to talk his way out of things.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:11 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry, the error is mine. Take that as a failed roll.
“Look” says Nik. “Truth is I don’t know what to think. I woke up this morning feeling like it was the first time to be here. But I do know that being here and being fed drugs isn’t helping me. They don’t even try to update me about my condition. Am I a prisoner here? I certainly feel like one. Tell me truthfully.”

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:08 am
by Silver Priest
"Oh dad." The woman says, shaking her head in sympathy. "You haven't been taking your medicine, have you? Do you remember anything at all? Do you remember me?"

She moves closer to him, starring deeply into his eyes. "I'm Debbie Siilasvuo, the only child of you and Debbie Gomez. Your father was Aki, Aki Siilasvuo. He immigrated here from Finland and was an electrician. You worked for the FBI for over 30 years, then retired and spent time traveling around the country with mom. Mom died a few years back,though. And after that, you weren't the same.. You started lashing out at people, describing tales of the times you had to stop aliens and monsters. After you broke into your neighbor's home, I had no choice but to send you here. The doctors diagnosed you with a Dissociative disorder stemming from mom's passing. Apparently yous tarted living in some sort of fantasy world, believing you were part of some shadowy government agency and tasked with saving the world. A lot of the time you don't even remember what year it is, or recognize anyone. The pills were starting to help, but doctors told me that you'd hide them, or spit them out, convinced they were poison.

She sighs. "So, are you a prisoner? To some extent I guess you are, but not for the reasons you think. You're sick, Dad. Even now, I don't know if anything I'm saying is getting through to you, or if it still doesn't ring a bell.

"But I want to understand. What's the last thing you remember, before waking up today. And what is this group you claim you belong to? No one at the FBI even knew what it was.
"
ooc,Nik can of course make a HUMINT roll if he likes, or anything else. Also a note for Vanessa's thread: Lawyer Nik knows that the weapon used to commit the killings was both found in Vanessa's residence and her DNA matched the crime scene. He's seen the results.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:24 pm
by HoneyDog
Nik is cold as he listens to this tale – it sounds so plausible. But the last question seems a bit strange. He regards ‘Debbie’ closely as he replies, wondering as to her motives.

“I must have told you about it already” he says.
HUMINT,HUMINT 73: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/698341]HUMINT[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]30[/b]

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 am
by Silver Priest
"That's the thing. You have. But it's different every time. Sometimes you're a secret agent fighting the Russians and Chinese. The next day you're fighting aliens. The next time you're out hunting the Yeti, or Dracula. It changes every day. But recently your stories seem to have settled around a group called Delta... Delta something. You said they recruited you sometime while you were in the FBI. Your doctors think it's a good idea to talk about your delusions, so that they can be disproven. The hope is that if we tell you what really happened, who you really are, you'll break free from all this and be yourself again.

So I'm willing to hear. Convince me
." She crosses her arms.
ooc,Feel free to just summarize what you tell Debbie. Telling her nothing is equally acceptable of course. As for the read he gets on her... Nik feels she's genuinely concerned. She seems convinced he's her father and mentally ill, and seems upset by that. By the same token though he still remember nothing about her, and none of what she's said has really rung any bells. Also, as to Vanessa's latest post, I leave it up to Nik if her words convince him. He has every reason to think she's delusional, and he knows from experience that she's very crafty. But if you want Nik to have a moment of self realization here, it's entirely up to you.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:14 pm
by HoneyDog
“Then doesn’t it all sound like total bullshit? These constantly changing stories? I must have been very unwell to be coming out with such nonsense. Damn”.

Nik runs a hand through his hair.

“I mostly just worked white collar cases at the bureau – you know, fraud, embezzlement and the like. Insurance claims and securities fraud. It wasn’t very glamourous. It certainly wasn’t secret. The facts of my cases are probably public record.”

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 pm
by Silver Priest
"Of course it's bullshit," Debbie says. "I'm 42, dad. I long ago figured out that the only monsters are humans. But the point is that you believe it. The only way you're going to get past all of this is for someone to disprove your delusions.

"But good, you're getting better." She says, and her eyes brighten a little. "And this tells me that you want to. Just remember that, next time you start to feel yourself slipping. Focus on what you know to be real."

"I'll be in touch soon
," She says. "In the meantime, promise me you'll go to therapy? I was talking to your doctor earlier and they told me they were set to see later today. I think they have all your public records, and you can see them all if you want. I got to look them over; no signs of space aliens there. " she laughs but quickly grows serious. "If you need to talk, really talk, give me a call." She leans up and kisses him on the cheek. 'I still expect you to walk me down the aisle."

And then she turns around and heads to her car.
ooc,What's Nik's plan now? If Nik does cooperate and go to his doctor and you'd rather not go through Nik's therapy session, you can just summarize what you tell them. I don't want any of this to drag. But if you're enjoying it still we can go a bit in depth. EDIT: Actually, given Vanessa's scene is wrapping up, I think I'll go ahead and close Nik's as well, just to avoid dragging things out. If you're fine with this, just give me a general approach to Nik's attitude and willingness to cooperate the rest of the day in therapy (the therapist is not Vanessa.)

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:26 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,SP, I think you're forgetting! Nik choked out that nurse - no doubt there will be consequences. How can he stay and face the doctors from his perspective? He is going to try and leave the premises, using violence if necessary. He regards the whole daughter thing as an invention.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:53 pm
by Silver Priest
ooc,That is more than fair! I assumed based on your responses to Debbie that you were starting to believe her story. Also rest assured I have not forgotten about the assault on the nurse. :twisted: The only way Nik can see to escape is the parking lot. He has no keys, so he'll either have to steal a car or hitch a ride from someone. Of course, he also has to get there unseen. Let's deal with the first obstacle. Nik can make a stealth roll at a +30 bonus because he is closer to the parking lot and he can pass it off as walking his daughter to her car. If he fails this roll, he's detected and people get suspicious. Sounds fair?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:45 am
by HoneyDog
Nik tries to go further into the parking lot in search of a suitable escape vehicle.
Stealth,Stealth 11 +30: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/699325]Stealth[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]54[/b]

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:37 am
by Silver Priest
Unfortunately even with the cover and closer distance to the lot, Nik finds himself spotted, and three men come over to him. One is an orderly, but the the other two look like armed security.

"It's over, Mr.Siilasvuo. A nurse just alleged you attacked her in your room this morning. We had been hoping you were finally starting to adapt to life here, but it seems clear you still present a threat to yourself and others. You need to come with us."

Nik attempts to fight back, but it really is no contest. He is sluggish and nearly infirm, and is quickly placed in a firm hold. The orderly shakes his head.

"I'm really sorry it had to come to this, Mr. Siilasvuo." He pulls out a syringe, and puts it to Nik's .

And everything once again go black.
ooc,Sorry for the less than epic ending, but realistically once you were spotted Nik really has no chance of escape, and anything else would just drag it out. I was hoping you would make that roll, and was curious to see how far you'd get. Escape was highly unlikely, but you could have stolen a car and made it part of the way. I was planing to have security come for Nik after his therapy session, but Mr.Handy in the other thread gave me an opening I really think works better gameplay wise. I promise I'll never railroad your characters as much as I have in this particular segment. Hope it was enjoyable anyway!

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:38 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,It was good, I couldn't really tell where it was going. I just played it as if there had been no real time lost between the limousine and waking up in the bed, so Nik was single-minded in his course of action to escape. Unfortunately, his lack of skills let him down.