OOC

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: OOC

Post by Anatomist »

In my head its always dex order.
~Bony End of Story~
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Two votes for Dex order, so unless otherwise noted I'll do it that way. Sorry again for the confusion; I had completely forgotten about the Fight Back action and how it could impact combat.

Chaz's attack missed, so oddly enough things end exactly the way I first posted. 1. Chaz goes first and misses. 2. Vanessa tries to disarm Yarrow and succeeds. 3. Yarrow fights back and counters her attack, grievously wounding her with the axe. At least she does not die, remaining at 3 HP. Since Nik and Vanessa have the same dex, whichever of them posted first goes first, so I'm going to rule that this is the official results of this round. Nik still gets to attack, after which we start a new round.

Also, Chaz's axe does 1d8 damage as well.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm not sure how Delta Green handles it, but when people have the same DEX in 6th edition, they roll off on 1d100 to see in which order they go.

My Luck roll to see if I had pepper spray actually would have succeeded under my old Luck score, before my POW got reduced.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Sorry about the mistakes recently guys, and thanks for pointing them out. If you see any in the future please do feel free to mention them, I don't want to shortchange any of you. Hope you enjoyed the scenario. Once we're officially over I look forward to revealing what was going on and a few things you may have missed. ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

No problem, and it's all good. The mistake was corrected, and it has been fun. I'm looking forward to finding out the details.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Thanks SP, it was a good mystery. Look forward to the next one.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

So, that was Music From a Darkened Room. Hope you enjoyed it. It tends to be a well regarded scenario due in part to its sandboxey nature and how much players can be screwed with by the house.

The one responsible for everything was in fact Isabelle Wheeler. Well no, it was actually Adele DiVetello, but the one who caused all the misery the agents faced was Isabelle. Due to her refusal to sign the Dark Man's book, she grew ill and died. She then found herself in the cold, black, realm Vanessa briefly visited. Faced with constant agony, her only respite were the mirrors that allowed her a glimpse back into the warm world of the living. She was able to see happy people living in her house, and the inability to feel that warmth drove her man and resentful. She began lashing out and killing people, discovering as she did so that this was the only thing capable of distracting her from her torment. Those she killed ended up on the other side of the mirror with her, half living phantoms she used to ensnare more souls. Completely insane by the time of the scenario, her only goal is to draw in and consume more prey; she will never be sated. Donnelly alerted her to the existence of Delta Green, which is why she was a bit more cautious with you guys. She far preferred ignorant prey than people who had even an inkling of an idea as to what she was. When he called to warn you off it was actually her. When that failed she ramped up her aggression.

The house can store a certain amount of POW within it. It is this POW it uses to posses or charm the people that are within in. Everytime any of you guys lost san while in the house it gained more and used that to fuel its powers. Had Vanessa killed Chaz it would have gained a great deal of POW, making it far harder to defeat. In general it prefers to charm its prey, but it resorted to possession in the end because it felt threatened. Had any of you been foolish enough to pick up the razor Isabelle would have attempted to compel you to carry it into the master bedroom, where she would have had you cut your throat for 1d20+4 damage. She's used this trick several times.

As written there's only two ways to defeat the house. The one you performed is by far the more moral way, but it also is far more dangerous because the house becomes an active adversary. The other way is the human sacrifice to call forth the Dark Man and have him lift the curse. This is less dangerous but more san blasting for obvious reasons. It would have been fun to watch you all pick a victim; I dropped some hints that the next door neighbor had a terminal illness and was in their 90's, so thought you might go for them. Or Yarrow.:P But the way you chose is actually mentioned offhandly in the book, and it's specifically mentioned that the agent shave to come up with it themselves. Personally I hated not letting you all discover it on your own, so I brought it up by leaving the axe with the runes engraved on it in Donnelley's Green Box. I then used Yarrow to deliver the information if he was asked about it. You guys did great investigative work to come up with that solution, so well done.

Speaking of Yarrow, if it's not obvious the man is a quack. He believes all of what he's saying, but it's all New Agey self help canards that have no real use in the world of DG. Most of his advise, such as entering the house alone or attempting to communicate with the manifestation, was dangerous to follow. I wanted you all to get a sense that he could not be trusted and then have him give you the actual solution to the problem and have you all really decide if you could risk using it.

Barbara Turner was also an original invention of mine. The scenario doe snot mention a realtor, but I felt like it was the perfect thing to include. In my take she had been long under the sway of the house and directs more victims there. After Nik spoke to her she did some digging and reported you guys being in town to the house. Isabelle suspected you all were Delta Green and set a trap, hoping only to scare you enough that you'd leave and call off any further hounds. When that failed, she had Turner kill herself for the extra POW, intent on using it to kill all of you.

Last notes, let's see... When you left the house I rolled a luck to see if the police would be called and take the axe away. Thankfully for you, it failed. And Nik succeeded on a roll to prevent himself from begin possessed, which is why the house could not target him after that. And I rolled for your mysterious admirer as well. Depending on how things went you could have met them this time. Maybe next time. :P

Hope you all enjoyed. Anatomist is planning to make a new character and we may be getting one new player. The next scenario is one of the most deadly DG operations. I won't be pulling any punches with it, so you'll all need to be on the top of your game to survive it. Hopefully we're get started on that within the next few weeks. Final thoughts or questions are welcome though, and you all still have your downtime actions to look forward to. Butt hanks for sticking through another scenario with me guys. :D
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

It was more of a traditional haunted house mystery, and a nice change. I don't know if we would have gone with a human sacrifice - or Nik would probably have offered himself. I saw Yarrow more as an enthusiastic amateur who was a bit out of his league, and needed to be jettisoned as soon as possible for his own safety.

Poor Isabelle.

I hope we can start the new one soon. Are you still planning to do Convergence?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome, and thanks for running it. I hadn't realized that Yarrow was faking it, which probably made it easier for me to accept his advice once the house's control over me wore off, especially since the house tried to stop us from doing it. I guess we can sell the antique furniture we went to such great lengths to get, now that it's harmless.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Good point on the furniture. I should probably figure out a way for that to benefit you if you go that route.

And yes, Convergence, after many delays, will be next. It's a scenario that ties into the metaplot of Dg more, something I admittingly enjoy more than the one off scenarios, but I like to have a good mix. It's also very deadly, but you guys are a good team, and I'm hoping you'll survive it. Some of you, at least.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Im so fresh to DG i know nothing of nothing on what your talking about :)
I like it though, i got so many ways to fuck up it will be epic.
~Bony End of Story~
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Now that we have our new characters, Nik and Vanessa can improve every skill they failed to use during the scenario by one percent. They also have two downtime actions to use during the break in between missions. If you have any questions feel free to ask or consult the Rules and Info thread.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Hoping to perhaps get a good price on selling the furniture they picked up, Nik begins reading. His mind wanders though as he reflects on his experiences, and he doesn't learn as much as he could.

Art: 1d100 53

Art gain: 1d10 2

int: 1d100 15
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

1) Fulfill Responsibilities with Malcolm Devane:
Sanity roll (current level 68):
[dice]0[/dice]
Bond increase (current level 4):
[dice]1[/dice]
2) Improve CHA (current stat 35%):
[dice]2[/dice]
CHA increases to 8.

Motivated by her recent brushes with death, Vanessa submerges herself in enjoying life, spending more time with Malcolm and rebuilding her neglected social life.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Sounds like a few good months for Vanessa.

Am I correct that Nik tried to improve Art skill and INT stat? If so, he'll need to reduce one of his bonds by 1d4 due to his neglect of them.

In the future, if either of you guys want to try and sell the furniture I'd probably rule it as an accounting or Cha*5 roll to get a good deal on it. It would take up one of your downtime slots, as the market for these items is pretty small and you'll need to invest some time on it to get a good deal.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik neglects his parents somewhat, calling them less and being slower to return calls.

Reduce bonds: 1d4 2

"Let's sell the furniture after the next adventure" he tells Vanessa.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa agrees, not giving voice to the possibility that they won't survive the next adventure.

One of the new characters would be better at selling the furniture than we would.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Very nice. I'll be starting the next adventure in the next few days, when inspiration and time strikes me. Hope you all enjoy it. :D
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

shit i didnt notice the new thread before now... reading up and posting asap
~Bony End of Story~
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper