See No Evil

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Re: See No Evil

Post by Silver Priest »

August 22, 1999

Both of the teams following Colm and Drinkwater report they leave at their usual times. Bhrunt sleeps in. He's yet to get up from his bed when the agents receive a call from Wu at noon. Just as he had promised, the letters have been translated.

A half hour later the team finds themselves back at the museum. The same friendly guard from before leads them down to Wu, who ushers them into his office.

"This was a bit more difficult than I was anticipating," he begins. "My German is rather rusty, and it was not helped by the fact that these letters were written in an older dialect. Very formal, as well. Still, I believe I've created a rough translation of the contents." He slides the translations over and encourages his guests to take a look.

The letters begin about a year ago. They start by complementing Colm and the Review in general, then ask historical questions about the war and Nazi policy. The first of these questions are simplistic things that even Nik and Vanessa may have been able to answer, but within the next few letters the questions get more and more obscure. Each new letter does bring with it compliments for Colm and his cleverness, so apparently he passed whatever test was being posed to him.

By the middle of the letters the agents notice that Hitler and the Nazi party's fascination with the occult has been brought up. Readign between the lines the writer seems to be hinting that he has firsthand knowledge of the subject, though he never comes out and says as such. The tone of the letters also becomes more aggressive, with viscous anti-Semitism liberally sprinkled throughout the text. There's also no longer any questions about the Review or even the subject of Holocaust denialism. Instead the author seems to be focused on the occult and flattery towards Colm.

The last letter reads as follows.

You are a wise man, Stephen, and truly an exceptional scholar. There are many of us who think as you do. The modern media and American brainwashing would have you believe that we believers in the Third Reich are vanquished, but nothing could be further from the truth. for the past sixty years we have been gathering our strength within the shadows, and very soon we shall strike. Our glorious fuehrer entrusted my organization with carrying on his work, and you my friend would find a valued place within us.

I know this is much to take in, and perhaps you are yet skeptical. We will meet soon, face to face, before your annual conference. I will show you something of the upmost importance and prove to you that everything I have spoken of is the truth. And afterwards, if you are convinced, I hope that you will join our crusade. With you in our ranks we can turn the Review to more productive ends, and come one step closer to ultimate victory. I will contact you with a place and time. Until then, act as if nothing is amiss.

Until then,

Walther

"Quite concerning." Wu says. "And I have researched much of his historical allusion, and it was all accurate. I'm afraid this is not some crank, but something potentially much worse." For once, he is not smiling.
OOC:   Make an unnatural San roll 0/1 for this disturbing new information.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa is by this point starting to get used to this weird stuff. "All right," she says. "We need to find out whatever we can about Walther Stromm. Sounds like he's an actual old school Nazi, not the neo variety, which would make him very old, but no less dangerous. There have to be records about him. The Nazis were meticulous about keeping them, and he could also have been sought for war crimes. Maybe he was even convicted of them, served his sentence, and got out. Lots of Nazis sentenced at Nuremberg were released after twenty or so years. We'll need to keep an eye on Colm ourselves, as they're bound to contact him within the next couple of days."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 67) for learning what's in the letters: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik
SAN,Sanity 68:[url=http://orokos.com/roll/546548]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]19[/b]
"We'd better tell McRay. It looks like Colm's gonna be our person of interest."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I fear your hypothesis is correct," Wu nods sadly at Vanessa. "I had no idea the Nazis were investing the phenomena your organization tries to contain, but it's little enough of a surprise. Unfortunately I do not believe I can assist further. None of this is my department, and asking around about it would only lead to questions I am unprepared to answer. Speaking to your superiors may be a good idea however. hopefully they will know what to do."

Unless there are further questions, he sees the agents out.
OOC:   Do you want to call McRay or try to swing by and see him directly?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

"You've been a great help Doctor. We can let you know what the investigation turns up."
OOC:   Shall we drop in and see McRay? I'm guessing that Colm is going to be the focus of our efforts from now on.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, thank you very much," says Vanessa. "This is important information. We need to talk to McRay now, and I think that ought to be in person. We don't want to be discussing this stuff on an unsecured phone. We don't want the NSA finding out if they're listening in, or if their friends are. There's something called ECHELON where our and our allies' intelligence services spy on each other's countries' citizens, then share intel. That's how they get around laws against spying on American citizens. I'd rather not cross paths with the NSA again or alert them as to what's going on. They may decide to Paperclip Stromm if they get wind of him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

The agents don't need to do much to get an appointment to meet with McRay. As soon as they show up at headquarters he ushers them into a conference room and sits stone face as they report to him.
OOC:   I assume you tell him everything. If for any reason you're keeping anything to yourselves, I'll retcon.  

When done, he lights a cigarette. "Well, shit. It's as bad as we thought, then."

"Brief history lesson. Delta Green has been fighting Hypergeometric threats for a long time.This service extends back to the second world war. It probably does not surprise you to learn that our government was not the only one to take an active interest in 'magic" and the occult. The Nazis were interested as well. I read the file, on Glendridge. One snot nosed teen was behind that little nightmare. Now imagine one of the world powers supporting research into those same things, giving it its full backing. It was a threat we could not ignore.

"And we didn't. While the official war was going on in Europe, Delta Green waged war in the shadows. We weren't alone in this. We had the backings of the British and Soviets, both of whom had their own divisions that specialized in stopping the hidden dangers that intrude upon reality. We decimated the organization. And it was a good thing too. Tales said that by the end of the war, the Nazis were no longer trying to win but rather destroy the world. As a result, few of the organization's members were Paperclipped. Those that were mostly went to the Soviets. I'm not going to give you 'rah rah' bullshit about how we were too pious to deal with them. Things that happened a short time later proved that we were just as willing to sell out humanity for our own benefit, but that's a story I won't go into.

This organization was called the Karotechia. Very few known members of it survived. We figured the threat was dealt with, and with the onset of the cold war and regrettable politicization of our mission, along with conflict with Majestic, gradually they were forgotten about as a threat. Until a little over a year ago, when a member of the Karotechia was confirmed alive and supporting a group that became a target of our organization. A-Cell did not know if this individual was working alone or part of a wider conspiracy, so research was done. Unfortunately you've just confirmed a wider conspiracy is about."

"I'll heard Walther Stromm's name before. He's been referenced in emails, letters, and the like. He's quite wealthy and apparently is the new Karotechia's source of connection with the far right nowadays. No one knows what he looks lie or has met him yet. I'm all but certain his name is a pseudonym though, since chatter about him only goes back a few years, and there's no one by that name listed in the old war records. We also have to consider that if this group is still active, they've very likely been recruiting from the post war generation.

"In any event,this is an opportunity we cannot afford to pass up. We need you to follow Colm and figure out what Stromm wants with him. Idealy we'd be able to capture or kill Stromm. Given that we don't know his capabilities and he's very likely to be a hypergeometric practitioner, I advice you to be cautious. If you feel something's wrong, just kill him. His body alone could be a boon.

"But the mission is risky, and I can't give you anymore manpower. If you can't move against Stromm, it might be best just to nab Colm after he meets with him and pump him for more information. Maybe we can find a way to set up an ambush using what he gives us. Either way, this very likely won't be easy. But if you succeed, it will go a long way to knowing just how strong the Karotechia is and more about what we're up against."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Majestic, sir?" asks Vanessa. "I've heard someone start to say that name before, then stop and refer to the NSA, with whom we've had run-ins in previous cases. I take it they're the rival organization that believes they can use hypergeometry, sort of our version of the Karotechia.

"We'll take over surveillance of Colm ourselves from this point forward. We know he'll be contacted before the conference, so it won't be long before it happens, and we'll need to be sure we're on hand. What about the possibility of turning Colm, making him a double agent for us and having him infiltrate the remnants of the Karotechia? It would be risky, but if we could pull it off, it would be of immense benefit. Maybe we could convince him that elements of the government agree with his viewpoint, and that the Karotechia is not what it seems to be and is just using him. It would be better if we could capture or kill Stromm, and if we do that, Colm isn't getting in, but we may want to consider it if we can't get Stromm."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

McRay takes a long drag from his cigarette before answering. “I did say I'd tell you when the mission is over, and you completed the original one. All right. But keep this quiet.

“Chances are you ran into Majestic before, not the NSA. Like us, they impersonate other organizations within the government when they need to be covert. Delta Green was around first, but after an incident in the late 40's that proved the existence of an alien race and its visitations to Earth, Majestic-12 was formed. We've always had a difference of opinion on how to deal with hypergeometric phenomena and creatures. From long experience, we seek to destroy or at least contain anything unnatural. Majestic prefers to study them, believing that it advanced American goals to understand this stuff, as if it can even be understood. As you can imagine, that sort of ideal wins a lot more friends than ours does.

In the 80's contact with these aliens was made, and Majestic negotiated an accord with them. I don't have all the detail, but I spoke to an agent I greatly respect, and he maintains that this deal sold out the human race for the enrichment of the Majestic higher up's. Based on what I've seen about these things, I'm doubtful there can be anything such as a benign alien race out there. Delta Green complained bitterly but we don't have the backing we once did. Against our objections, the accord became official policy. Since then, it's been our organization's objective to find enough evidence to prove the true nature of these things we're negotiating with and expose Majestic culpability within it. This means relations between our two groups are tense. We're in something of a cold war.
OOC:   HUMINT rolls can be made at a -10 percent penalty here. A success indicates McRay's mostly on the level, but he's leaving something out.  
As for your main objective, sounds good. I'm not sure Colm can be turned. If the Karotechia are contacting him and risking a meeting, they likely believe him to be a true believer. It might be hard to offer him anything that would lead him to flip. But you've observed him more than me. I seem to recall from his dossier that he has a family. That might be able to get his cooperation. Something to keep in mind.”

“Lastly, consider your rookie team. If you think any of them would augment your limited manpower in observing Colm, I give you permission to bring them in. Don't tell them about Delta Green, but spin a tale to garner their cooperation. It's safer to keep them away from our true objective here, but one or two of them might prove useful to keep around. On the other hand, they may object to the extralegal parts of our work, or be poorly equipped to handle any outbreaks of preternatural phenomena. I leave the decision in your hands. But it's not a decision to make lightly
.”
OOC:   The meeting with McRay's just about done, unless you have further questions.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik listens intently, realizing that he knows almost nothing about what he's got himself into concerning Delta Green. He gets the feeling that McRay is leaving something out though.
HUMINT,HUMINT 71 -10: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/547362]HUMINT[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]33[/b]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Colm is highly paranoid," says Vanessa. "It would be relatively easy to sow distrust between him and Stromm, but getting him to trust us may prove impossible. Coercion would be the only way to turn him, most likely."
OOC,HUMINT roll (53 - 10 = 43% skill) about [b]McRay[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"It's something to keep in mind, at any rate," says McRay. "You've already determined that the meeting is likely to happen either today or tomorrow. I suggest you be prepared."
OOC:   Are you guys heading back to the hotel, or going to rendezvous with the agents you have covering Colm, who last you heard was still at work? And if you go, are you going to assign the two agents to someone else or keep at least one of them around for support?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   We need eyes on Colm all the time now I think. We need to brief the other agents that he is our main target, perhaps saying that intelligence has been found conclusively linking him to a neo-nazi organization. Personally I don't think there's enough time to turn him, we should just see how things play out.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yeah, I agree. The two of us should meet with the agents following [b]Colm[/b]. The agents following [b]Drinkwater[/b] and [b]Bhrunt[/b] can continue to do so, and the agent who did research on [b]Hames[/b] can await his arrival. We can have the agent who researched [b]Colm[/b] around for support. At that point, one or both of us can join in the surveillance [b]Colm[/b]. One thing we need to consider is that only the two of us should monitor what our bugs are picking up, as we don't know enough about the rookies to risk bringing any of them in on that. We should just keep watching him for now and not approach him to try to turn him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

The team swings by Colm's work and rendezvous with agents Faulkner and Taylor. Both are a bit surprised to see them, but they accept their presence without objection. They report that Colm stayed inside the accounting firm. Neither of them have chanced going inside, but it seems that he stayed there all day.

Sure enough, an hour later Colm leaves work as his usual time and walks briskly to his car. Though careful driving they follow him back home. There he stays for a few hours, venturing out only to walk Bernard around the block a few times.

Around 9 in the evening Agent Faulkner leaves the team and heads to the airport to shadow Hames, who is arriving in an hour. From here the Delta Green agents and Agent Eric Taylor are alone, allowing the tema their first real chance to examine him.
OOC:   Successful HUMINT roll tells you that Agent Taylor is bored out of his mind. He expected this to be a chance for him to show off his skills, and he resents having to babysit a homebody.

If you want to try to bring him in to Colm being the real threat, roll a persuade, +15 if you made the last roll. He desperately wants to do something more.  
At around ten Taylor ends his shift, and unless the agents specifically request otherwise leaves. Do Vanessa and Nik wish to keep watch on Colm's apartment, or are they going to try and pull an all-nighter?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik whispers to Vanessa.

"Do you want to bring him onboard about the nazi thing?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa reads Taylor like an open book. "I understand all too well how boring stakeouts can be, Special Agent Taylor," she says. "Well, things are soon going to get a lot more interesting. I think I can let you in on the real target of the investigation. There's a Nazi war criminal named Walther Stromm, though that's probably not his real name. We have reason to believe he's been in communication with Colm, and that he is going to meet him in person either today or tomorrow. Colm is a small fry, a wannabe Nazi. What we want is to catch the real thing. Stromm is a recruiter for a secret organization of Nazi remnants that threatens our national security, and with your help, we're going to put a stop to it. We'd like to take Stromm alive if it's possible so we can get more information from him, but he is extremely dangerous in spite of his advanced age. If he resists, we may be forced to kill him, but that's better than nothing."
OOC,HUMINT roll (53% skill) about [b]Taylor[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Persuade roll (71 + 15 = 86% skill) to bring [b]Taylor[/b] on board: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Agent Taylor's a young African American man in his early 30's. Very handsome, he quickly grows more interested as Vanessa speaks.

"A Nazi war criminal... did I hear you right? That's amazing. I'd love to catch one of those bastards, especially on my first assignment. It would look really great on my record." He smiles, but both agents can tell it is a half joke at best.

"An organization? Something like ODESSA? I always thought that was a myth. But of course, I'll do whatever we need. Should we brief the others? Though I can understand if you want to keep this quiet. In any event, I'll keep watch over Colm the entire night. You're welcome to stay, but I assure you I have the matter well in hand. If he makes a move or anyone out of the ordinary stops by I'll give you a call, if you want to head back to the hotel."
ooc,[ooc]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ODESSA Unless you tell him not to, Taylor's going to keep monitoring Colm. Do the agents want to join him? With more than one of you keeping watch you can each doze off, but the van you're currently using is not all that comfortable. If you decide to pull an all nighter make a con*5 roll. Fail and the van is just too uncomfortable and your sleep suffers, and your agent takes a -5 penalty to all skills until they rest in a proper bed.[/ooc]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm glad to hear it,," says Vanessa, "though one of us will keep watch with you tonight in shifts. That way we stay well rested and ready for anything. This group is something along the lines of ODESSA. An organization with that name may not have existed, but Nazi fugitives did manage to escape and avoid detection with assistance, and they aren't all just content with staying hidden."
OOC,Whichever of the two of us goes back to the hotel can listen for anything of interest coming from the bugs we've planted in [b]Colm[/b]'s house (or the others' rooms). It would still be possible to sleep, as long as the audio is turned on, as the noise would awaken the sleeper. So would a phone call, if those on stakeout duty see something.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Great" says Nik with indecent haste. "I'll leave you two to it then." He exits the scene.

Return to “Delta Green: S-Cell”