The Setting

In the 80´s that never were, a handful of kids are investigating a government project beneath their playground - the archipelago of Stockholm.

They call themselves 'The Loopers'.

Moderator: Dave Syrinx

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

The Setting

Post by Dave Syrinx »

When playing The Loopers, the songs you hear on the radio or on the mix-tapes are:

■■ Take On Me - A-ha (’85)
■■ Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
(’82)
■■ Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
(’83)
■■ The Final Countdown - Europe (’86)
■■ Jump - Van Halen (’84)
■■ Girls Just Want To Have Fun -
Cyndi Lauper (’83)
■■ We Built This City – Jefferson
Starship (’85)
■■ Take My Breath Away - Berlin (’86)
■■ Rock You Like A Hurricane -
Scorpions (’84)
■■ We’re Not Gonna Take It - Twisted
Sister (’84)

Listen at Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/user/modiphius ... JdElFiLLEM

TV shows you could watch on the two state financed networks:

■■ Magnum P.I. (1980–1988)
■■ Cheers (1982–1993)
■■ Knight Rider (1982–1986)
■■ The A-Team (1983–1987)
■■ Friday Night Videos (1983–2002)
■■ V (1983–1985)
■■ Miami Vice (1984–1989)
■■ Pee-Wee’s Playhouse (1986–1990)
■■ Max Headroom (1987–1988)
■■ Star Trek: The Next Generation
(1987–1994)

Some movies you can watch at the cinemas:

■■ Ghostbusters (’84)
■■ Top Gun (’86)
■■ Return of the Jedi (’83)
■■ The Goonies (’85)
■■ E.T. (’82)
■■ The Breakfast Club (’85)
■■ Back to the Future (’85)
■■ Stand By Me (’86)
■■ Gremlins (’84)
■■ Karate Kid (’84)

Those mementos are here to let you know what it was to grow up in the 80´s and what affected us. Those are the reasons why the 80´s are quite prominent in TV-series and movies now in 2010´s.
Playing games were not by the computer but by the table:

■■ Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1977)
■■ Rolemaster (1980)
■■ Top Secret (1980)
■■ Call of Cthulhu (1981)
■■ Champions (1981)
■■ Gangbusters (1982)
■■ Star Frontiers (1982)
■■ Chill (1984)
■■ Pendragon (1985)
■■ Cyberpunk (1988)
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: The Setting

Post by Mr. Handy »

This really takes me back as a child of the 80s.

There were plenty of computer games around in the 1980s, including some great classics that I've played.

Ultima I-VI (1980-1988): These computer role-playing games by Richard Garriot were groundbreaking in many ways. Ultima I was the first game with tile graphics that became very commonplace. Akalabeth (1979) was the predecessor of the Ultima series. The series continued through the 1990s as well (which was when I first played it).
Adventure Construction Set (1985): ACS is used to make adventure games, and I loved this to death. When my disk failed, I gladly sent in $7.50 (half of the original purchase price) to have a replacement mailed out to me.
Star Saga: One (1987) and Two (1988): These amazing games are part board game, part RPG, and part book. I played the first one on my Apple IIc so many times. I didn't get the second one until 2015, as I couldn't find an Apple version in the 1980s, and by the time I got my first IBM-compatible PC in 1992, it was gone. I snagged an old copy on eBay for $70. It was well worth the price and the wait. These games have full multiplayer capability for up to 6 players (albeit in hot seat mode).
Zork (1980): Classic text adventure from Infocom. I actually beat it without any hints, though it took me years to figure out how to get the egg open safely. This game spawned numerous sequels. There were also plenty of other excellent Infocom text adventures throughout the 1980s, such as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1984) (which I also beat without hints - eventually). Also of note is Zork's spiritual predecssor, Colossal Cave (1977), which I never managed to complete.
King's Quest (1983): Graphical 3-D(-ish) adventure game from Sierra On-line. Also spawned many sequels and many other similar games such as Police Quest and Space Quest throughout the 1980s and 90s. Quest for Glory (1988) was awesome, a hybrid adventure/roleplaying game. I played this series to death too. The VGA version of QFG1 was the first game I bought for my new computer in 1992.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “The Loopers”