Chapter 7: Next Steps

Boston 1920: Strange events at 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace have left minds ruined and families shattered. But how believable are such tales as strange figures and moving inanimate objects in our modern age? How readily should we disregard the influence of the otherworldly? After the recent real-life horrors of poison gas and industrialized slaughter, can we give credence to tales of odd visions and supernatural presences?

Investigating 20 Copp’s Hill will prove that we should not dismiss such tales too lightly...

Moderator: HoneyDog

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 7: Next Steps

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora remembers, that she reported some results of their archival research to Jordan early on... Let's just hope he doesn't make more connections. Right now he only concentrates on Norman's condition.

"There was an accident. I wasn't in the room when it happened," she says, which is technically true, she wasn't inside the room... "When I got there, Mr. Owens was already on the ground, injured...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan nods his head. “Well, we’ll let Mr. Owens get to that. But please tell me about what you’ve found out about the house. What is the link to this cult you spoke of”?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora understands, that there is no point lying or hiding things. It's better to have Jordan's trust. She decides to give a superficial report.

"Corbitt was mingling with a strange cult called the Chapel of Contemplation. There were talks about kidnappings in connection with this church, and they were raided by the police. We saw no evidence of the cult using Corbitt's house, though... They had a church building in the neighborhood."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

"Mr. Jordan, I, have no idea. Maybe a touch of concussion from my fall?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan frowns. “So Corbitt was mixed up with some strange business, and he was the house’s previous owner”. He casts a dubious glance at Norman. “You have memory loss? The doctor didn't mention it” he says.

He turns back to Isadora. “Did you get any ideas about what the problem with the house is?”
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Nor did I, Mr. Jordan. I just meant that I don't know what happened, that's all."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan's face screws up with angst.

"Two good people were driven insane in that house, and their children will grow up without knowing their parents. I need to know what is going on. Vittorio suffered an accident and then went crazy. Now you fell through an upstairs window Mr. Owens. I refuse to believe that it is a mere coincidence.”
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The tension is growing. Isadora feels that Jordan's emotions are genuine, and she thinks that he might not just be chasing after his money in this business. Maybe they weren't right with Norman to treat Jordan as a foe.

"Mr. Jordan," she says, speaking very slow, word by word. "There... there is indeed an uncanny presence in the house. A supernatural force, and malevolent at that."

She turns to Norman: "I'm sorry, Mr. Owens. I think we all have to unite in this battle."

"Our sources point to the fact that Corbitt is buried somewhere under the house, in the basement. This clearly has something to do with his allegiance to the cult."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan stares at Isadora, aghast. “This… this man is buried under the house? All this time? So the Macarios were living above him?”

He shakes his head. “I don’t believe in ghosts or spirits Ms. Carmichael, but I’m not so stupid as to ignore real events. Something is wrong with the house. I fear you two may have found the cause, however impossible it might seem.”

“But at what cost?” He turns back to Norman. “You could have been killed sir! I cannot allow this to continue.”
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"We can call it ghosts, or unknown magnetic fields, but something has to be done...

I'm afraid that if a group of workers tries to demolish the house, they will too suffer."

Of course, Isadora doesn't mention that their go-to plan is torching the house.

"Upon out first meeting, I told you that I'm not an exorcist. But now I think I will try to look into this side of the case deeper."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan nods. “Yes, demolishing the house won’t remove the body. If the body really is down there, it will have to come out. I can engage a team of workmen to do this, but after what happened yesterday, I worry for their safety.”

He looks uncomfortable. “I am a catholic, but I’m not particularly spiritual. Do you really think a priest could help?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"The poor Macarios were very deeply catholic," Isadora says, remembering the room filled with apotropaic paraphernalia. "but their faith wasn't enough, I'm afraid.

When I talk about 'exorcism', I don't necessarily mean the Christian ritual. Although, it too might prove effective? As far as I understand, most priests are not practicing occultists, which is a good thing, they are there to provide psychological, moral support...

But I'm not well versed in these matters. I have to read up on it, visit some more... knowledgeable members of our Society."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan bows his head. "You both have done so much already. I’m very grateful to you. But it just seems so dangerous.”

He raises his chin, a resolute look on his face. "No, I cannot ask you to do any more. And I don’t want to risk anyone else. The house will have to remain empty”.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   "Apotropaic"--wow, I've never even heard of the word!  
Owens kept quiet--he didn't know whether to trust Jordan or not. He wondered silently about Jordan's last comment: "Is he keen to protect the house and... Corbitt? Were Isadora and me some kind of food...!" He spoke:

"I'm ever so tired. Ms. Carmichael, would you fetch the nurse?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

HoneyDog wrote:Jordan bows his head. "You both have done so much already. I’m very grateful to you. But it just seems so dangerous.”

He raises his chin, a resolute look on his face. "No, I cannot ask you to do any more. And I don’t want to risk anyone else. The house will have to remain empty”.
"I cannot sleep well unless I do something about this... But I will stick to research..."

She then stands up and goes out to the corridor to fetch a nurse, leaving Norman and Jordan alone in the room.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Owens leant forward, "I think the woman is right." He stifled a yawn.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“You mean an exorcism is called for? Tell me Mr. Owens, what did you feel in the house?”
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Nothing--I really don't know, understand, or care," answered Owens, and, "No, that we should stick to research. The problem of Copp's Hill is back in your court, Mr. Jordan. Sorry to let you down, sir."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan shifts uncomfortably in his hard wooden chair. “I see.”

When Isadora returns with the nurse Jordan stands. “I must be leaving now” he says. “I want to thank you both sincerely for everything you’ve done. I will be sending a cheque for what you’re owed, plus a hundred dollar bonus each”.

He glances at the nurse but continues anyway. “I’ve decided to stop any further investigations, so please drop the matter. I will keep the house empty and off the market. I don’t want to take any more risks with people’s lives. Good day to you both, and thanks again.”

He turns and leaves the ward.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora says goodbye to Jordan and turns to Norman.

"What shall we do? Or do you want to rest now, and leave this sorry matter for some other day?"

Return to “The Haunting”