Chapter 6: Return to Copp's Hill

Boston 1920: Strange events at 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace have left minds ruined and families shattered. But how believable are such tales as strange figures and moving inanimate objects in our modern age? How readily should we disregard the influence of the otherworldly? After the recent real-life horrors of poison gas and industrialized slaughter, can we give credence to tales of odd visions and supernatural presences?

Investigating 20 Copp’s Hill will prove that we should not dismiss such tales too lightly...

Moderator: HoneyDog

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Chapter 6: Return to Copp's Hill

Post by Tabs »

"Most likely not," was his reply. "I don't understand what has happened." He paused, as if thinking but just dumbfounded. "Paint our symbol, then let's go to the house."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora simply nods, puts on the apron they've purchased, and sets out to paint her chosen symbol on the now empty wall. She tries to make it approximately the same size.
Attachments
Bragdon fourth dimension.PNG
Bragdon fourth dimension.PNG (14.07 KiB) Viewed 790 times
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

The symbol finished, Isadora and Norman survey their handiwork. They decide to leave before anyone comes back, and make their way back to the Corbitt House. On the way they pass Mr. Dooley, who regards their painting equipment with raised eyebrows. He decides not to say anything however, but they can feel his eyes on them as they reach the house.
20.jpg
It feels somewhat different now, more familiar, but this is a familiarity born of contempt. The house seems to be beckoning to them, daring them to enter.

Norman takes the key from his pocket and opens the door. They are confronted by the same dingy interior, but at least the electricity is working now should they need it. The hallway stretches out before them, with doors on either side, and they can vaguely see the stairs at the end.

They pause at the doorway…
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Is there a plan of the house?  
Owens leant the crowbar and shovel against the wall.

"Right, shall we do it?" he asked without waiting for a reply. He opened the first door on his righthand side.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Norman charges into the house with the bravery fir for a pioneer and explorer... Isadora has nothing else left, but to follow him.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   It’s a good idea for you to make your own map as you go. We’ll call this room Room 4 on the first floor.  
This room is obviously the living room, musty from lack of use. It is furnished conventionally in the style of the era, with a couch and two comfy-looking stuffed chairs. There is a radio and a bookshelf, and with books and various knick-knacks. There are many Catholic artifacts; crucifixes, images of the virgin and the like.
OOC:   You can roll Idea  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   We should have gotten a plan from Jordan... too late now, I guess. :(  
Idea 70%
[dice]0[/dice]

If Norman steps inside, Isadora follows, and examines the Catholic artifacts. She presumes they belong to the latest family who lived here.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isadora notices that there are probably far too many artifacts than would be normal. Obviously the Macario’s were seeking protection.

Just as she also notices a connecting door which is obviously for the next room, they are both startled by loud thumping noises from somewhere above them!
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora starts creating a simple map in her favorite notebook...
map.png
map.png (7.56 KiB) Viewed 770 times
...but she is interrupted by the sound coming from above!!

"What was that?"

Does it sounds like footsteps? Or some sort of an animal?

Isadora remembers how one of the rooms on the upper floor was especially feared...
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isadora can feel unpleasant psychic emanations – but they seem to be coming from above.

The loud thumping continues…
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Idea [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Nice map!  
"I'll go," said Owens. He ran down the hallway to the stairs, climbing up two steps at a time.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

When Norman reaches the top of the stairs he is confronted by another dingy corridor. It is largely in darkness as the windows are boarded over. He can see a small room set back a little to his left, which is probably the bathroom. Turning on the light, he can see that all the bedrooms are on the left side of the corridor – there are a total of three doors.

As he pauses to ascertain his surroundings, he hears a loud scratching sound, like someone running something sharp across wood. It seems to be coming from the door to what must be the first bedroom.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora tries to keep up pace with Norman. She definitely doesn't want to be alone. She waits for Norman to act first, though.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Owens grabbed hold of the doorknob, intending to slam open the door.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Norman braces himself and pulls the door open. He is confronted by a sparsely-furnished bedroom, containing only a bedframe and a dresser. It was obviously never used by the Macario family.

There is nothing else here, certainly nothing that could account for the noises they heard. As Norman looks around, he starts to notice a dark liquid appearing on the wall. It begins to spread and run down. He notices drops falling on the bedframe and looks up, seeing the dark pool spreading across the ceiling. To his horrified amazement, he realizes that the liquid is blood.
OOC,Norman needs to roll 1d100 for Sanity!
Isadora,Isadora can feel that the evil presence is very strong in this room.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Norman manages to control his emotions, despite the disgust he feels. The sight is now accompanied by a foul smell, like nothing either of them have encountered before.

Now, the scratching noise begins again, this time at the window.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I'm suffering from some kind of delusion," said Owens to himself. He collected his thoughts, "Ms. Carmichael, I wouldn't come in here"--uaware if she has already.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

He went over to the window.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Confronted by the wave of evil in the room, Isadora stops at the threshold - but her gaze is directed towards the inside of the room, peaking over Norman's shoulder.

Does she see or sense the vision or the smells Norman does?

Return to “The Haunting”