Chapter 5: Investigations

Boston 1920: Strange events at 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace have left minds ruined and families shattered. But how believable are such tales as strange figures and moving inanimate objects in our modern age? How readily should we disregard the influence of the otherworldly? After the recent real-life horrors of poison gas and industrialized slaughter, can we give credence to tales of odd visions and supernatural presences?

Investigating 20 Copp’s Hill will prove that we should not dismiss such tales too lightly...

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 5: Investigations

Post by HoneyDog »

With nothing else under the Sheafe Street address, Isadora searched for Copp’s Hill. Once again, after searching for about 10 minutes, she was successful, finding another Globe clipping:
library 2.jpg
OOC,Well done! You can both make another Library Use roll (not spot hidden), Norman has +10
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC Sorry,don't have time to do the flavor text now, but here's my roll to keep things, well, rolling!
Library Use 33%
[dice]0[/dice]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

Library Use 35% [dice]0[/dice]

"Now then, that's more like it!"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Noting the age of the articles, Norman has the idea to search the obituary columns. After some time, he too has some success.
library 3.jpg
OOC,Great - now roll Library Use one more time
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"So Walter Corbett must be buried somewhere in the garden? Unusual," said Owens. He commented: "I'd want my ashes scattered over a northern forest..."

Library Use 35% [dice]0[/dice]
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Good thinking!" Isadora says when Norman pulls out the obituary. "A strange outsider, this Mr. Corbitt. One would think that a person with such an expensive property would also like to have a rich funeral, a family tomb... Maybe we can find his grave in that jungle of a garden."

Corbitt was a lawyer, the obituary says, so Isadora thinks there might be traces of this activity, or any other activities connected with his name.

Library Use 33%
[dice]0[/dice]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   If you can't think how to get anymore information, you can both try rolling Idea  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Idea [dice]0[/dice]

"Mind those fingers."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora wants to find out more about the lawsuit AGAINST Corbitt, initiated by his neighbors: what upset these Bostonians so much, that they decided to take it to court? Maybe there are follow up articles archived in the library? Court files must be stored in a different place.

She concentrates hard, maybe some idea will spring to her mind...

Idea 70%:
[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isadora searches further but has no luck. Frustrated, she sits down to rest and clear her mind, and glances at the scholarly gentleman whose advice proved useful, who is still intently reading his newspaper articles. She notices that his suit is somewhat old, and his collar and cuffs are beginning to fray.
OOC,Good point about the lawsuit - keep that in mind.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Carefully, so as not to attract the gentleman's attention, Owens indicates to Isadora the gentleman's fraying cuffs... and then realised he wasn't the one who had the Idea.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora takes a few articles and sits down opposite the gentleman. She doesn't approach him right away, but takes a few notes (writes down the dates of the articles they've discovered, to establish a timeline later), re-reads the clippings. She then tries to strike up a conversation again, remembering that this gentleman in the old clothes have already given them useful information about the old name of the street.

"I'm sorry to disturb you... But you seem to know a lot about the history of Boston.

This house we are looking into as a history, a bad history. Have you heard anything about it?"

At the same time, she tries to take sneak a peak to see what the gentleman's working on.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I know some history” frowns the man. He obviously doesn’t want to be disturbed. “I’m sorry but my research is of the utmost importance. I really must finish.”

He notices Isadora glancing furtively at his notes and covers them up. “If you’ve found what you’re looking for then perhaps you’d be so kind as to let me continue in peace” he says gruffly. He has developed a twitch in his eyebrow and Isadora can see that his fingernails are badly bitten. There are dark circles under his eyes and he has the look of a man who hasn't eaten well for a while.
OOC,Can you think of an offer you can make him?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

He saw what Isadora was about, he lent forward over her shoulder and whispered: "Not subtle, at all, but we could offer a slap-up meal for his help?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Can we perhaps hire you, as a consultant? You seem to have expertise with the library as well."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The man looks annoyed and seems about to say something harsh, but he then relents.

"Well, if it means that you'll leave me alone, I’ll have a look for you. Do you want more information about Copp’s Hill?”
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Yes please, sir."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Is that all? Please tell me now so that I don't waste my time. And by the way, it will cost you 20 dollars".
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"And information about Walter Corbitt, one-time owner of the house. 20 dollars it is."

If Norman objects about the price, Isadora quickly scribbles in her notebook: "I'm picking up this bill."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Very well”. The man stands up and moves to the files. It is possible to see that he is very tall, over six feet. His long fingers begin to move through the files, and he is obviously very at home in this setting.

After 20 minutes he returns to where Isadora and Norman are sitting, bearing a single clipping. “This is all that remains under those names, I guarantee it. Now, please pay me my money”.

Isadora exchanges $20 for the clipping and the man resumes his place again. Excited by their final find, the heroes ignore the man’s rudeness as they begin to read.
library 4.jpg
OOC:   Perhaps Isadora & Norman would like to discuss their next move over lunch? It's about 12.30 pm now.  

Return to “The Haunting”