Chapter 5: Investigations

Boston 1920: Strange events at 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace have left minds ruined and families shattered. But how believable are such tales as strange figures and moving inanimate objects in our modern age? How readily should we disregard the influence of the otherworldly? After the recent real-life horrors of poison gas and industrialized slaughter, can we give credence to tales of odd visions and supernatural presences?

Investigating 20 Copp’s Hill will prove that we should not dismiss such tales too lightly...

Moderator: HoneyDog

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 5: Investigations

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora's plan is to introduce herself as the wife of George Auden, heir to a major Bostonian industrialst. Both she and Auden are Theosophists and researching the history of spiritual movements in Boston, the various forms (sometimes not very decent) they take and took in the past.

"I'm having second thoughts, though," says Isadora to Norman, still before entering the Court. "Would a simple clerk understand this project? He might get confused by the terms if he's not familiar with them, and ask us to leave.

Maybe we should take a more down-to-earth cover story -- something about money and property, and George"
(meaning her husband, george Auden) "wanting to buy a property that was once connected to the Church."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

"I don't know. Let's try your first option. I could stand behind you and try to look tough, y'know a bodyguard, implying that you're a V.I.P.--it may lend you some gravitas?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Wouldn't that come over more, umm, like being a wife of a Mob boss? I don't want to put George in that light. Co-researcher sounds better to me, you can even show your University credentials if needed."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Possibly a bad idea of mine! Let's do what you said."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Sorry, that I keep going back and forth with ideas... But technically we are doing nothing illegal, investigating the house on behalf of Mr. Jordan. He hired us. And Jordan is a well-known man, maybe even more my husband. And a simple court clerk knows more about investments and property, then Theosophy."

A scary thought crosses her mind: if, heavens forbid, the Church of Our Lord Granter of Secrets is still around and learn that somebody is snooping around, Isadora and Norman can say it is for historical research... But this is clearly paranoia: the Church was raided and probably disbanded many years ago!
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"You're second guessing too much, Ms. Carmichael. Go with it and we'll roll with the result; and we need visit my Professor."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora raises an eyebrow, but doesn't reply.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

2010_AdamsCourthouse_Boston_4765611709.jpg
The duo finally arrive at the Municipal Courthouse in Pemberton Square. The sun is beginning to dip low in the sky as the cold of the late November evening nips at their bones.

Asking for Records, they are directed down a flight of stairs where they arrive at a desk on which a slim young clerk in his mid- twenties wearing a collar but no tie is sorting through case files. He is intent on his work and doesn’t look up as they approach.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora walks up to the clerk.

"Excuse me, sir, can I interrupt you for a moment?"

If the young man reacts, she continues.

"I would like to access a case file. I am working for Mr. Harold Jordan, Jordan Property Inc., and we are looking into the background of one of the houses he purchased."

She has a note with the date and reference number of the case.

"Can you please assist us finding this file, or point us to the register?"

OOC:   I presume Isadora knows the name of the company Jordan has, so I've made up 'Jordan Property Inc.'...  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The clerk takes the note, and then looks at Isadora and Norman.

“This number is for a criminal case. I’m afraid it’s only accessible by a court or police officer. You say you work for Harry Jordan?”
OOC:   Sounds good! Jordan would be pleased  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Yes.

This is a delicate case: a property of Mr. Jordan is up for sale, but its connection to a criminal case has to be checked out. To end certain rumors."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The clerk seems intrigued despite himself.

“I know of Mr. Jordan, he has done a lot of charitable work in Charlestown, which is my neighbourhood. But how do I know that you both work for him?”
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora remembers that they wanted to get an official paper from Jordan, but in the end he only gave them a personal (spoken) recommendation to the Boston Globe...

"We can call his office. His secretary can support our claim."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Owens kept silent; though he felt a tad guilty that Isadora was doing all the work.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The clerk pushes over the telephone on his desk.

"Feel free to give him a call" he says cheerfully.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora smiles at the clerk, then picks up the phone and asks for a connection to Jordan's office.

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan comes on the line. "Mrs Auden - Carmichael! I'm glad to hear from you. I hope you're having some success with your investigations".
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isaodra is lucky: getting through to Mr. Jordan personally is even better than his secretary.

"Good day, Mr. Jordan! Yes, we are making progress. Right now I'm calling from the Municipal Courthouse in Pemberton Square. The clerk in charge, a resident of Charlestown, just needs a confirmation that we are working on your behalf."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan pauses "I had better know what it is you are asking of him. I get the feeling that he'll need some reassurances?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"We are investigating the connection of the house to a criminal case from 1912. We need to see the court materials. We are hoping that they will clean up some rumors concerning your property."

She doesn't want to go into more detail with the clerk hearing, but IF Jordan asks for more details, she adds: "There is a rumor, that a group or organization with dubious criminal connections might have used the house at a certain point. If we access the court materials, we can confirm or deny this."

Return to “The Haunting”