Chapter 5: Investigations

Boston 1920: Strange events at 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace have left minds ruined and families shattered. But how believable are such tales as strange figures and moving inanimate objects in our modern age? How readily should we disregard the influence of the otherworldly? After the recent real-life horrors of poison gas and industrialized slaughter, can we give credence to tales of odd visions and supernatural presences?

Investigating 20 Copp’s Hill will prove that we should not dismiss such tales too lightly...

Moderator: HoneyDog

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 5: Investigations

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   I just realised, the tall, tatty-clothed and rude gentlemen describes Lovecraft himself.  
"$20, Ms. Carmichael, I wish that I could contribute, but I cannot," he added sheepishly. "Thank you."

"Lunch, on me?" Owens racked his brain furiously for an inexpensive and interesting restaurant.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

diner.jpg
The pair find a reasonably priced diner nearby the library. Although Isadora is used to more refined surroundings, she is no snob and feels perfectly comfortable. She attracts a few curious stares from the patrons though.

After the waitress brings them their coffee, they order and settle down to talk.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora sits in silent contemplation. On the one hand, she is afraid of going back to the house... The evil presence tainted it. But on the other hand, curiosity and the hunger for knowledge drive her towards that wretched place!
The waiter arrives with their orders. Isadora eats some vegetable soup, then puts down her spoon, and finally speaks up.

"We should look into the lawsuit against Corbitt, find out what were his 'surious habits and auspicious demeanor'. Maybe Mr. Jordan has connections in the city law archives? Is there even such a thing? Archive of official acts? I'm not sure..."

She starts flipping through her notes.

"The second lawsuit came after his death, but we don't know the result. He might be buried on his property (the basement, it seems, not the garden as we though first), after all, but might not."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"When we return to the house I'm taking a spade and my pistol too. I believe that he was buried in the basement; there's something down there which is responsible for the haunting, a nest of rats maybe--I shudder to guess what fed them originally." Owens gulped down his tea. "Ms. Carmichael, how gross am I? I do apologise."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora shudders and puts down her spoon again.

"Rather gross... Let's hope this is not the case."

Such discourse was commonplace in her social circle in Paris, but she could never get used it fully. She thinks a lot about the state of the soul after death - but tends to ignore the faith of the material body...

"I cannot censor your language or your thoughts, but I'd advise AGAINST bringing the gun. You cannot hit rats in a dark basement, and having such a dangerous item in the unstable atmosphere of that house is a bad idea."

"We should bring those instruments and tools I've talked about. In 'haunted houses' space and conditions are distorted. Compasses point to all the wrong directions, barometers and thermometers go wild."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Of course," conceded Owens, with a bow of his head. "I'll ensure that we have the instruments you require.

"Is this your first haunted house?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Many houses can be considered 'haunted', I think. But in most places without such dire results... In Switzerland, in my youth, at school, we contacted former pupils and teachers. But that was different, those were lingering memories, without any tangible effect. This is the first time I encounter something so twisted."

Isadora finishes her soup and, after some hesitation, orders blueberry pancakes. Then she excuses herself for a minute.

If there is a telephone in the diner, Isadora calls her husband, who knows more about law and bureaucracy more than her. "Do you know whether there is a possibility to access courthouse documents from 1866? "
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Yes my dear" comes the voice from the other end of the line. "You'd need to try the Hall of Records at City Hall. This must be a thrilling adventure you're having. I hope that Owens character is behaving himself".
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Yes, Mr. Owens is a good person, we get along fine. And the investigation is moving forward as well."

Isadora prefers not to tell her husband about the rush of negative power she felt at the house.

"Do you by chance have any acquaintances down at the Hall of Records? Or maybe somebody from the Society? "
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"We-ell, no-one who can help you with an archival search unfortunately. But don't be shy about using my name to prod some clerk into giving you assistance if you need it. Good luck my dear!"
OOC,Try using a library use roll when you get to the records.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Thanks! See you in the evening!"

Isadora hangs up and strolls back to their table. She sits down to eat the pancakes that by now hopefully arrived. "I talked with my husband, he told me that we need to go to Hall of Records at City Hall. No shortcuts, though, so we are up against the stacks ourselves."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Well done, Ms. Carmichael.

"I've not tried blueberry pancakes since kindergarten.

"You said 'contacting former pupils' in Switzerland; were they dead?--oh, I think I see, those from the past."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Old_City_Hall_(Boston).jpg
After finishing their delicious pancakes, Isadora & Norman return to School Street to visit City Hall. They are directed to the Hall of Records, where within they are yet again confronted with the prospect of trawling through dusty old files. Who knew ghost hunting would be so bureaucratic!

Hoping to find the outcome of the lawsuits against Walter Corbitt, they decide to look in the civil court records.
OOC,You can both try library rolls
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Library Use 33%
[dice]0[/dice]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Thirty minutes later, Isadora finds a reference to Corbitt. There is no information about the outcome of the lawsuits, only that the executor of Corbitt’s will was a Reverend Michael Thomas, pastor of the Chapel of Contemplation & Church of Our Lord Granter of Secrets, located in Copp’s Hill.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The layers of dust make Isadora cough, but she covers her mouth with a handkerchief and investigates the filing cabinets... and achieves at least a slight success!

"Our Lord Granter of Secrets? What kind of denomination is this?" she wonders, and shows the yellowed document to Norman.

The use of the word 'secret' means to Isadora that this is probably not one of those plentiful American Christian variety churches. She thinks hard about the name -- maybe she heard it mentioned during a Theosophist meeting? People discuss various religious, pseudo-religious, meta-religious, philosophical etc organizations.
OOC,Is an Occult roll applicable here? Something along the lines of "Knowledge of local occult organizations"? If so,here's a roll: [b]Occult 45%[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Let's assume that this chapel is certainly not a place where the average worshipper would want to frequent!
Isadora gets the idea to look up the chapel in the register of churches. After about another thirty minutes of searching, she finds a brief reference that the Chapel of Contemplation, located in Copp's Hill, was closed down in 1912, but the reason isn't stated here.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Owens puffed his cheeks, tiring of his fruitless search.

"A decidedly odd denomination. How many others were buried in their own basement?--an unhappy thought.

"I'm itching to do some digging..."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"I suspect membership in this uncanny congregation is something Corbitt's neighbors could have considered a suspicious habit...

You know, I feel a weird closeness to Corbitt, a link through time and space: he, too, I feel, was on a tireless search for knowledge, for spiritual enlightenment. But who knows what he encountered on his road!"

The thought of digging up the basement and generally returning to the house makes Isadora utterly uncomfortable, but she knows that it is inevitable.

"Do you think we have time to return today? Or should we gather our tools and strenght and visit the house tomorrow in the morning?"

Return to “The Haunting”