Page 1 of 1

Chapter 4: The House

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:54 am
by HoneyDog
House.jpg
The taxi pulls up outside 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace and Norman and Isadora alight. As it pulls away, they can see the object of their visit in the shadows cast by surrounding buildings – there’s a sense that the house is drawing into itself, away from contact. It exists among newer structures, partly obscured by foliage from a garden which no-one tends to anymore, and while it is by no means in any state of disrepair, there is a sense of neglect which somehow seems more spiritual than physical. The surrounding buildings consist of small office blocks, such as for doctors and lawyers, and it appears to be the only residential property on the street. A few people are making their way along the sidewalk, and you can see what must be a newsstand further up the street.

The sensitive Isadora feels immediately that there is something ominous within the house, although there is absolutely nothing, apart from a mild state of neglect, which can be seen at first glance. This is a house which you might pass without notice when walking along the street, but at night you might unconsciously feel that you shouldn’t linger around here.
OOC,If you approach the house and unlock the door, you'll find it is bolted from the inside

Re: Chapter 4: The House

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:55 am
by Tabs
"Here it is, and I must say what a drab-looking house," said Norman. He went up to the front door and unlocked it before unsuccessfully pulling at its doorknob. Turning to Isadora: "My first impression is that the door is bolted."

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:58 pm
by evil_scientist
Norman hurries to the door, while Isadora slowly walks up to the house, trying to get some of those "first impressions" she mentioned back at the office. She doesn't really understand how this building can be of a high value, but Jordan clearly has some plans for this house, which Isadora, who isn't business savvy, simply cannot see.

Upon hearing about the bolted door, Isadora instantly thinks about the presence wanting to keep others far from a mysterious inner sanctum... But she suppresses the thought. After all, she came her with an open mind.

"Maybe they bolted the front door for proper security and left through the back," she theorizes. "Let's go around and take a look."

She lifts up the edge of her long dress a few inches and steps off the path into the overgrown garden.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:07 pm
by Tabs
Norman Owens nodded. He followed after Isadora round back of the house, looking for a door. He didn't speak, frankly, curious to explore a house for the first time.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:03 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,If you try the back door, you find it is also bolted from the inside.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:47 am
by Tabs
"Ah! here it is," said Owens, forging ahead of Isadora. Again he unlocked the door only to report that it, too, was bolted. He looked around for a cellar door, or maybe a coal chute.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:15 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,There do not seem to be any other entrances apart from the doors and windows.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:20 pm
by evil_scientist
"Maybe somebody decided to occupy this house illegally..." Isadora wonders, then walks over to the windows and tries to peak inside.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:29 pm
by Tabs
"Maybe," he answered. He strolled round the garden.
OOC:   How overgrown is it, how big and are there many bushes/trees?  

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:51 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   The back is fairly large and contains a couple of fruit trees. But both are untended rather than overgrown, the rosebushes and grass need trimming and a lot of weeding needs to be done.  

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:50 pm
by evil_scientist
evil_scientist wrote:"Maybe somebody decided to occupy this house illegally..." Isadora wonders, then walks over to the windows and tries to peak inside.
OOC:   HoneyDog, any result from this action?  

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Isadora looks through the grimy window, and glancing down, sees that the window has been nailed to the frame.
OOC:   Sorry I should have picked up on that, I'm juggling the keyboard with a baby  

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:17 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC,[ooc]No problem![/ooc]
"Someone is bent on not letting anybody inside the house, the windows are nailed shut."

She walks away from the window and examines the backdoor. She checks whether the bolt lets the door open at least slightly.

Then she joins Norman in his inspection of the garden.

"We do need to get inside, though. Do you think we can force the backdoor?"

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:24 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,You can both make strength rolls unless you have any suitable tools with you (sledgehammer, crowbar). And Isadora, please try not to ruin your exquisite turquoise dress

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:58 pm
by Tabs
"Shoot!" said Owens. "Let's telephone Mr. Jordan and request permission to break the bolt. We need to get a suitable tool as well. One of the neighbouring offices must have a janitor with tools. What time is it, Ms. Carmichael?"

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora check her small, elegant wristwatch.

"Good plan. I will walk down to the newsstand and find a telephone booth. Can you go look for a tool?"

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:49 am
by HoneyDog
There is a public telephone next to the newsstand which Isadora heads towards.

A friendly receptionist directs Norman to a small hardware store in the next street, which should take him about 5-10 minutes to reach.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:09 am
by Tabs
Owens explained the situation to the storekeeper, specifically, mentioning 20 Copp's Hill. He asked which tool to use?

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:45 am
by HoneyDog
Tabs wrote:Owens explained the situation to the storekeeper, specifically, mentioning 20 Copp's Hill. He asked which tool to use?

"Oh, the Corbitt house? Yes, that's an odd place" muses the helpful storekeeper. "I heard about the Italian gentleman running amok. It's a miracle he didn't kill anyone".

Back on the subject, he continues. "Well, if the owner doesn't mind the damage, your best bet is just to use a sledge on the door. How quickly you get in depends on how many bolts there are, and you of course" he grins.
"Gonna make an awful mess though".

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:13 pm
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:There is a public telephone next to the newsstand which Isadora heads towards.
Isadora gets a few coins from her purse and asks for a connection with Jordan's office. If she gets through, she quickly explains the situation.

"Mr Jordan, all the doors of the house are bolted from the inside. The windows are nailed, too. Did you give any such instructions, to assure the safety of the house while it's empty?

I'm sorry I have to ask this, but can we utilize, uh, how to put this... blunt force to gain entry to the house? We plan to force the backdoor."

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:18 pm
by HoneyDog
evil_scientist wrote:
HoneyDog wrote:There is a public telephone next to the newsstand which Isadora heads towards.
Isadora gets a few coins from her purse and asks for a connection with Jordan's office. If she gets through, she quickly explains the situation.

"Mr Jordan, all the doors of the house are bolted from the inside. The windows are nailed, too. Did you give any such instructions, to assure the safety of the house while it's empty?

I'm sorry I have to ask this, but can we utilize, uh, how to put this... blunt force to gain entry to the house? We plan to force the backdoor."
“I gave no such instructions. Bolted from the inside? That would mean that someone is inside the house”.

He sounds worried.

“Mrs Carmichael, perhaps you should reconsider entering the house today”.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:26 pm
by evil_scientist
Jordan's concern triggers the deeply buried seed of rationality in Isadora.

"Maybe you are right... Do you plan to report this to the police? That somebody is occupying your property?"

She thinks for a second.

"It is rather uncanny, though. This somebody must have keys as well, because the doors weren't just bolted, they were locked."

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:41 pm
by Tabs
"No to a sledge, " replied Owens to the storekeeper. "A crowbar, something to force the bolt but leaving the door lockable with keys--maybe a spade, y'know something to give me leverage?

"An odd place you say?" he prompted.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:36 pm
by HoneyDog
evil_scientist wrote:Jordan's concern triggers the deeply buried seed of rationality in Isadora.

"Maybe you are right... Do you plan to report this to the police? That somebody is occupying your property?"

She thinks for a second.

"It is rather uncanny, though. This somebody must have keys as well, because the doors weren't just bolted, they were locked."
Jordan

"I'll call the local precinct and ask them to send a couple of patrolmen to force entry and check around. Please don't enter until they've looked around. Will you call me later with an update?"

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:48 pm
by HoneyDog
Tabs wrote:"No to a sledge, " replied Owens to the storekeeper. "A crowbar, something to force the bolt but leaving the door lockable with keys--maybe a spade, y'know something to give me leverage?

"An odd place you say?" he prompted.
Storekeeper

"Well, a crowbar would be best in that case, although it may split the door frame."

He leans on the counter. "Yes, the house has a reputation in the neighbourhood, mainly because of the poor family who lived there recently, but it's always been shunned since I can remember. Whenever someone moves in, they don't stay long. It's known as the Corbitt house although I can't say precisely why, I think that might have been the original owner. Before my time."

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:29 pm
by Tabs
"Do y'know of any old timers round here? Gossip is always useful." Owens took out his wallet, handing the storekeeper some dollar bills for the crowbar. "Oh, here's my card: 'Norman Owens B.Sc. Anthropology. Charlestown 6482''; give me a call if you think of anything." He added a carrot: "About to embark on an expedition. We'll need more kit."

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:52 pm
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:Jordan

"I'll call the local precinct and ask them to send a couple of patrolmen to force entry and check around. Please don't enter until they've looked around. Will you call me later with an update?"
"Yes, of course!"

Isadora hangs up and hurries back to the house. On the way back she checks the street for a diner or cafe they can sit at while waiting for the patrol.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:15 am
by HoneyDog
Tabs wrote:"Do y'know of any old timers round here? Gossip is always useful." Owens took out his wallet, handing the storekeeper some dollar bills for the crowbar. "Oh, here's my card: 'Norman Owens B.Sc. Anthropology. Charlestown 6482''; give me a call if you think of anything." He added a carrot: "About to embark on an expedition. We'll need more kit."
Storekeeper

“Expedition eh? Sounds exciting! Somewhere hot I hope".

He gives Norman his change. "The best person to ask about the house would be old Mr. Dooley. He has a newsstand on the terrace and he’s been around awhile.”
OOC:   Norman is a biologist and zoologist by training ;)  

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
evil_scientist wrote:
HoneyDog wrote:Jordan

"Yes, of course!"

Isadora hangs up and hurries back to the house. On the way back she checks the street for a diner or cafe they can sit at while waiting for the patrol.
OOC:   I'll wait for Norman to get back before bringing in the police  

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:38 am
by Tabs
"Canada--in the winter, I'm afraid. Thanks," and Owens waved goodbye to the shopkeeper. He walked back, looking out for Isadora.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:57 pm
by HoneyDog
As Norman rejoins Isadora, they see a police car pull up outside the house, and two of Boston’s finest step out. Approaching our intrepid pair, they give Isadora the usual dubious onceover, and the most senior of the cops addresses Norman.

Mr. Owens?” He eyeballs Isadora. “And you must be Mrs. Carmichael”.

Turning back to Norman he continues. “I’m Riordan, and this is Olivetti. Our Lieutenant told us about the situation. Please wait here while we search the house”.

He looks at the house and frowns. He mutters under his breath, too softly to hear, but it is obvious that he is familiar with this place, and not happy to be near it.

His partner Olivetti eyes Norman’s crowbar. Extending his hand, he asks “Sir, would you mind? That would be very useful”.

Riordan looks at his partner and says, “Let’s go in through the back. Be ready.”

They set off around the back of the house. Moments later Norman and Isadora hear a loud knocking and a challenge. “Open up! This is the police!” Then there is a breaking sound. Our heroes wait nervously, senses attuned.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:07 pm
by Tabs
"Let's go see what's going on?" he said to Isadora.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:26 am
by evil_scientist
"Yes, let's go closer..." says Isadora. By now there are paths in the garden, stomped out by them and the policemen, so her movements aren't restricted.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:45 am
by HoneyDog
After about twenty minutes, the front door opens and the two cops step out, shaking dust off their uniforms. They make their way towards our heroes. Riordan looks at Norman.

“There’s no-one there. We searched every room, upstairs and the basement. What’s more, it’s certain that there’s been no-one there for a couple of months at least. But the bolts are pretty new, they’ve been added within the last year.”

“Place stinks somethin’ awful” adds Olivetti. “Haven’t smelt anything like that before.”

“You can enter" says Riordan. "But I can’t explain the bolts.” He turns back to look at the house. “Best thing to do with this place is tear it down”. Impulsively, he makes the sign of the cross.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:14 am
by Tabs
"Thank you, Officers," said Owens. His curiosity brimming, he stepped inside.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:15 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora thanks the officers. She stands for a while on the doorstep, takes a few deep breaths while lifting her arms in a yoga-like movement. She tries to clear her mind before entering the House.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:49 pm
by HoneyDog
“Wait a moment sir”. Norman turns round to see Olivetti holding out the crowbar. “This is yours”.

A long passageway extends to the rear door which has been left open, letting some air into the dank and dusty house. Luckily, the cops have found the fuse box and got the electricity working again. The house hasn’t been cleaned for a long time, and the droppings of rats can be seen scattered around. The wallpaper is dirty and has an old-fashioned feel to it; the Macario’s had never got around to decorating, perhaps being concerned with other matters. There are pictures, mostly landscape scenes on the walls, and a small cupboard for keeping shoes just inside the door.

There are rooms on both sides – the nearest door is on the right, with the left-hand side one a little further down.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:18 pm
by evil_scientist
When Isadora is about to cross the threshold, a shiver runs through her body. "Wait, Norman! Stop!" she says, her voice almost a shriek.

"There... there is something evil in this house. Something cruel..." she adds. She almost feels the distance between her and Norman, who is already inside the house, growing from a few steps to miles.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:14 pm
by Tabs
Owens rushed back.

"Isadora," he exclaimed, clasping her hand, "whatever..." and let go. "Pardon me, Ms. Carmichael, I didn't intend to be overly familiar. You feel that something awful is here, whatever can it be?"

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:46 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora doesn't seem to notice Norman's excess.

"I cannot tell for sure what it is -- but I feel this whole house is impregnated with something malevolent..."

She makes a short pause, taking a few deep breaths.

"I felt things like this before, presences. But this is stronger, much stronger, and less defined at the same time?..

Maybe we should get more information on the history of the house. I'm not sure I'm ready to enter."

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:32 am
by Tabs
He was eager to look around... but the police officers had just checked over the house. "Okay, Ms. Carmichael, let's do some research first. While we're here, let's go talk to Mr. Dooley, the newsstand owner--the shopkeeper said he's been in this neighbourhood for a long time."

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:53 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora is both surprised and relieved that Norman doesn't question her sudden "insight". Maybe he observed similar behavior during his expeditions among the northern tribes?

"Yes, let's talk to them," she says, more calm this time. "I didn't expect the presence to be this strong. Maybe an inquiry into the past history of the house can give us some clues."

She heads out to the newsstand (with Norman). She purchases a daily paper, glances at the main headlines, but not really reads into them.

"Mr. Dooley, right?" she addresses the owner. "The man from the shop down the road said that you've been here for quite a while. Can I ask you some questions about the area?"

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:03 am
by HoneyDog
news.jpg
Mr. Dooley has been following the afternoon’s goings on at the house with interest. He is friendly and happy to impart what he knows, although he is quite old and his memory is not as sharp as it once was.

“By neighbourhood, I take it you mean the Corbitt house?” he grins, but becomes serious. “I see that you've paid it a visit. It’s an unhappy place, that one. Best stay away from it, if you want my advice.”

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:10 am
by Tabs
"Unhappy?--You mean the Macarios."

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:13 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora doesn't want to "overload" Mr. Dooley with a lot of questions at once, so she just listens carefully to what he says, studies the old man's reactions.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:45 pm
by HoneyDog
“Well, yes, the Macarios. The husband went crazy right here in this street, screaming and attacking passers-by. Luckily there was a cop near, and he managed to restrain him until more came, and believe me they needed five cops to get him in the paddy wagon. And then his poor wife lost her mind so recently. You could see she was under terrible strain, poor woman.” He looks upset at the memory.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:22 pm
by Tabs
Owens decided to stick with the truth. "We're employed by house owner, to look into its 'mystery,'" he said. "Shocking business--the Macarios."

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:31 pm
by HoneyDog
“Yes, they were a nice couple. They didn’t deserve what happened to them. And the poor boys….” He drifts off, and then comes back into focus. “The previous owners didn’t do very well either. Please tell your owner just to tear that place down, it’s unlucky for everyone who enters it”.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:44 pm
by Tabs
"You called it the Corbett house; who was that?"

OOC:   e_s, rewind and ask questions, if you want.  

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:52 pm
by HoneyDog
“Yes, the Corbitt house. I believe he might have been the original owner. It’s from a long time ago, but the house is still known by that name. I couldn't tell you anything about him though."

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:47 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC:   I'm good, let's keep this rolling!  
"When was that? Who might be able to tell us about Corbitt?"

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:10 am
by HoneyDog
“Oh, it’s so long ago now, there’s no-one living who would be able to tell you about that. Your best bet would be the newspapers or the public library I would think.”

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:34 am
by Tabs
Owens bought some magazines.

"The Officers who broke in for us seemed wary of the house; is it so notorious locally?"

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:03 am
by HoneyDog
Dooley looks at Norman. “Well yes, the business with the Macario’s. And the previous family, the Milligan’s. They moved in in, when was it, oh yes, just before we joined the war. About a month later they were gone.”

He gives Norman some change. “They seemed like a perfectly normal healthy family, but they all got sick. They blamed the house, so they moved away. Stuff like that seems to be the pattern with that house. So yes, you could say its notorious.”

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:53 am
by evil_scientist
"The Milligans, did they get 'sick' from some sort of an illness? Or did they lose their sanity, like the Macarios?"

She turns to Norman: "Looks like we'll have to visit the Public Library and the archives after all."

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:00 pm
by HoneyDog
“No, nothing like that. They just got sick – you could see that they were all physically ill. Strangest thing.” More customers have arrived so he turns to serve them.

“Well, good luck to you both! You’ll need it”.
OOC:   If you recall, Jordan will set you up with an introduction at the Boston Globe tomorrow (game time). If you like, you can meet there and continue your investigations.  

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 pm
by evil_scientist
"Thank you, Mr. Dooley, have a good day!"

As they walk away, Isadora turns to Norman:

"People sometimes get ill in old houses because the old wallpapers have arsenic in them, for coloring."

But this is clearly not what she really wants to say, and she adds after a short pause:

"Did you get any... feelings, resonance when you were inside the house?"

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:28 pm
by Tabs
"No. But obviously you did; 'something malevolent' you said."

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:01 am
by evil_scientist
"Yes. I was just wondering whether you felt it too, because it was so strong, strongest I've ever felt. But maybe I'm more attuned to these things.
Non-sensitives may not pick it up... But they are affected by it, this is why they can go insane. What an awful, dangerous place..."

She shivers.

"I propose we get some rest and meet tomorrow at the Boston Globe."
OOC:   Should we fast-forward to tomorrow?