Chapter 4: The House

Boston 1920: Strange events at 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace have left minds ruined and families shattered. But how believable are such tales as strange figures and moving inanimate objects in our modern age? How readily should we disregard the influence of the otherworldly? After the recent real-life horrors of poison gas and industrialized slaughter, can we give credence to tales of odd visions and supernatural presences?

Investigating 20 Copp’s Hill will prove that we should not dismiss such tales too lightly...

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 4: The House

Post by HoneyDog »

House.jpg
The taxi pulls up outside 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace and Norman and Isadora alight. As it pulls away, they can see the object of their visit in the shadows cast by surrounding buildings – there’s a sense that the house is drawing into itself, away from contact. It exists among newer structures, partly obscured by foliage from a garden which no-one tends to anymore, and while it is by no means in any state of disrepair, there is a sense of neglect which somehow seems more spiritual than physical. The surrounding buildings consist of small office blocks, such as for doctors and lawyers, and it appears to be the only residential property on the street. A few people are making their way along the sidewalk, and you can see what must be a newsstand further up the street.

The sensitive Isadora feels immediately that there is something ominous within the house, although there is absolutely nothing, apart from a mild state of neglect, which can be seen at first glance. This is a house which you might pass without notice when walking along the street, but at night you might unconsciously feel that you shouldn’t linger around here.
OOC,If you approach the house and unlock the door, you'll find it is bolted from the inside
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 4: The House

Post by Tabs »

"Here it is, and I must say what a drab-looking house," said Norman. He went up to the front door and unlocked it before unsuccessfully pulling at its doorknob. Turning to Isadora: "My first impression is that the door is bolted."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Norman hurries to the door, while Isadora slowly walks up to the house, trying to get some of those "first impressions" she mentioned back at the office. She doesn't really understand how this building can be of a high value, but Jordan clearly has some plans for this house, which Isadora, who isn't business savvy, simply cannot see.

Upon hearing about the bolted door, Isadora instantly thinks about the presence wanting to keep others far from a mysterious inner sanctum... But she suppresses the thought. After all, she came her with an open mind.

"Maybe they bolted the front door for proper security and left through the back," she theorizes. "Let's go around and take a look."

She lifts up the edge of her long dress a few inches and steps off the path into the overgrown garden.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Norman Owens nodded. He followed after Isadora round back of the house, looking for a door. He didn't speak, frankly, curious to explore a house for the first time.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,If you try the back door, you find it is also bolted from the inside.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Ah! here it is," said Owens, forging ahead of Isadora. Again he unlocked the door only to report that it, too, was bolted. He looked around for a cellar door, or maybe a coal chute.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,There do not seem to be any other entrances apart from the doors and windows.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Maybe somebody decided to occupy this house illegally..." Isadora wonders, then walks over to the windows and tries to peak inside.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Maybe," he answered. He strolled round the garden.
OOC:   How overgrown is it, how big and are there many bushes/trees?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   The back is fairly large and contains a couple of fruit trees. But both are untended rather than overgrown, the rosebushes and grass need trimming and a lot of weeding needs to be done.  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

evil_scientist wrote:"Maybe somebody decided to occupy this house illegally..." Isadora wonders, then walks over to the windows and tries to peak inside.
OOC:   HoneyDog, any result from this action?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isadora looks through the grimy window, and glancing down, sees that the window has been nailed to the frame.
OOC:   Sorry I should have picked up on that, I'm juggling the keyboard with a baby  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,[ooc]No problem![/ooc]
"Someone is bent on not letting anybody inside the house, the windows are nailed shut."

She walks away from the window and examines the backdoor. She checks whether the bolt lets the door open at least slightly.

Then she joins Norman in his inspection of the garden.

"We do need to get inside, though. Do you think we can force the backdoor?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,You can both make strength rolls unless you have any suitable tools with you (sledgehammer, crowbar). And Isadora, please try not to ruin your exquisite turquoise dress
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Shoot!" said Owens. "Let's telephone Mr. Jordan and request permission to break the bolt. We need to get a suitable tool as well. One of the neighbouring offices must have a janitor with tools. What time is it, Ms. Carmichael?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora check her small, elegant wristwatch.

"Good plan. I will walk down to the newsstand and find a telephone booth. Can you go look for a tool?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

There is a public telephone next to the newsstand which Isadora heads towards.

A friendly receptionist directs Norman to a small hardware store in the next street, which should take him about 5-10 minutes to reach.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Owens explained the situation to the storekeeper, specifically, mentioning 20 Copp's Hill. He asked which tool to use?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Tabs wrote:Owens explained the situation to the storekeeper, specifically, mentioning 20 Copp's Hill. He asked which tool to use?

"Oh, the Corbitt house? Yes, that's an odd place" muses the helpful storekeeper. "I heard about the Italian gentleman running amok. It's a miracle he didn't kill anyone".

Back on the subject, he continues. "Well, if the owner doesn't mind the damage, your best bet is just to use a sledge on the door. How quickly you get in depends on how many bolts there are, and you of course" he grins.
"Gonna make an awful mess though".
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

HoneyDog wrote:There is a public telephone next to the newsstand which Isadora heads towards.
Isadora gets a few coins from her purse and asks for a connection with Jordan's office. If she gets through, she quickly explains the situation.

"Mr Jordan, all the doors of the house are bolted from the inside. The windows are nailed, too. Did you give any such instructions, to assure the safety of the house while it's empty?

I'm sorry I have to ask this, but can we utilize, uh, how to put this... blunt force to gain entry to the house? We plan to force the backdoor."

Return to “The Haunting”