Chapter 4: The House

Boston 1920: Strange events at 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace have left minds ruined and families shattered. But how believable are such tales as strange figures and moving inanimate objects in our modern age? How readily should we disregard the influence of the otherworldly? After the recent real-life horrors of poison gas and industrialized slaughter, can we give credence to tales of odd visions and supernatural presences?

Investigating 20 Copp’s Hill will prove that we should not dismiss such tales too lightly...

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 4: The House

Post by HoneyDog »

evil_scientist wrote:
HoneyDog wrote:There is a public telephone next to the newsstand which Isadora heads towards.
Isadora gets a few coins from her purse and asks for a connection with Jordan's office. If she gets through, she quickly explains the situation.

"Mr Jordan, all the doors of the house are bolted from the inside. The windows are nailed, too. Did you give any such instructions, to assure the safety of the house while it's empty?

I'm sorry I have to ask this, but can we utilize, uh, how to put this... blunt force to gain entry to the house? We plan to force the backdoor."
“I gave no such instructions. Bolted from the inside? That would mean that someone is inside the house”.

He sounds worried.

“Mrs Carmichael, perhaps you should reconsider entering the house today”.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Jordan's concern triggers the deeply buried seed of rationality in Isadora.

"Maybe you are right... Do you plan to report this to the police? That somebody is occupying your property?"

She thinks for a second.

"It is rather uncanny, though. This somebody must have keys as well, because the doors weren't just bolted, they were locked."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

"No to a sledge, " replied Owens to the storekeeper. "A crowbar, something to force the bolt but leaving the door lockable with keys--maybe a spade, y'know something to give me leverage?

"An odd place you say?" he prompted.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

evil_scientist wrote:Jordan's concern triggers the deeply buried seed of rationality in Isadora.

"Maybe you are right... Do you plan to report this to the police? That somebody is occupying your property?"

She thinks for a second.

"It is rather uncanny, though. This somebody must have keys as well, because the doors weren't just bolted, they were locked."
Jordan

"I'll call the local precinct and ask them to send a couple of patrolmen to force entry and check around. Please don't enter until they've looked around. Will you call me later with an update?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Tabs wrote:"No to a sledge, " replied Owens to the storekeeper. "A crowbar, something to force the bolt but leaving the door lockable with keys--maybe a spade, y'know something to give me leverage?

"An odd place you say?" he prompted.
Storekeeper

"Well, a crowbar would be best in that case, although it may split the door frame."

He leans on the counter. "Yes, the house has a reputation in the neighbourhood, mainly because of the poor family who lived there recently, but it's always been shunned since I can remember. Whenever someone moves in, they don't stay long. It's known as the Corbitt house although I can't say precisely why, I think that might have been the original owner. Before my time."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Do y'know of any old timers round here? Gossip is always useful." Owens took out his wallet, handing the storekeeper some dollar bills for the crowbar. "Oh, here's my card: 'Norman Owens B.Sc. Anthropology. Charlestown 6482''; give me a call if you think of anything." He added a carrot: "About to embark on an expedition. We'll need more kit."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

HoneyDog wrote:Jordan

"I'll call the local precinct and ask them to send a couple of patrolmen to force entry and check around. Please don't enter until they've looked around. Will you call me later with an update?"
"Yes, of course!"

Isadora hangs up and hurries back to the house. On the way back she checks the street for a diner or cafe they can sit at while waiting for the patrol.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Tabs wrote:"Do y'know of any old timers round here? Gossip is always useful." Owens took out his wallet, handing the storekeeper some dollar bills for the crowbar. "Oh, here's my card: 'Norman Owens B.Sc. Anthropology. Charlestown 6482''; give me a call if you think of anything." He added a carrot: "About to embark on an expedition. We'll need more kit."
Storekeeper

“Expedition eh? Sounds exciting! Somewhere hot I hope".

He gives Norman his change. "The best person to ask about the house would be old Mr. Dooley. He has a newsstand on the terrace and he’s been around awhile.”
OOC:   Norman is a biologist and zoologist by training ;)  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

evil_scientist wrote:
HoneyDog wrote:Jordan

"Yes, of course!"

Isadora hangs up and hurries back to the house. On the way back she checks the street for a diner or cafe they can sit at while waiting for the patrol.
OOC:   I'll wait for Norman to get back before bringing in the police  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Canada--in the winter, I'm afraid. Thanks," and Owens waved goodbye to the shopkeeper. He walked back, looking out for Isadora.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

As Norman rejoins Isadora, they see a police car pull up outside the house, and two of Boston’s finest step out. Approaching our intrepid pair, they give Isadora the usual dubious onceover, and the most senior of the cops addresses Norman.

Mr. Owens?” He eyeballs Isadora. “And you must be Mrs. Carmichael”.

Turning back to Norman he continues. “I’m Riordan, and this is Olivetti. Our Lieutenant told us about the situation. Please wait here while we search the house”.

He looks at the house and frowns. He mutters under his breath, too softly to hear, but it is obvious that he is familiar with this place, and not happy to be near it.

His partner Olivetti eyes Norman’s crowbar. Extending his hand, he asks “Sir, would you mind? That would be very useful”.

Riordan looks at his partner and says, “Let’s go in through the back. Be ready.”

They set off around the back of the house. Moments later Norman and Isadora hear a loud knocking and a challenge. “Open up! This is the police!” Then there is a breaking sound. Our heroes wait nervously, senses attuned.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Let's go see what's going on?" he said to Isadora.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Yes, let's go closer..." says Isadora. By now there are paths in the garden, stomped out by them and the policemen, so her movements aren't restricted.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

After about twenty minutes, the front door opens and the two cops step out, shaking dust off their uniforms. They make their way towards our heroes. Riordan looks at Norman.

“There’s no-one there. We searched every room, upstairs and the basement. What’s more, it’s certain that there’s been no-one there for a couple of months at least. But the bolts are pretty new, they’ve been added within the last year.”

“Place stinks somethin’ awful” adds Olivetti. “Haven’t smelt anything like that before.”

“You can enter" says Riordan. "But I can’t explain the bolts.” He turns back to look at the house. “Best thing to do with this place is tear it down”. Impulsively, he makes the sign of the cross.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Thank you, Officers," said Owens. His curiosity brimming, he stepped inside.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora thanks the officers. She stands for a while on the doorstep, takes a few deep breaths while lifting her arms in a yoga-like movement. She tries to clear her mind before entering the House.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Wait a moment sir”. Norman turns round to see Olivetti holding out the crowbar. “This is yours”.

A long passageway extends to the rear door which has been left open, letting some air into the dank and dusty house. Luckily, the cops have found the fuse box and got the electricity working again. The house hasn’t been cleaned for a long time, and the droppings of rats can be seen scattered around. The wallpaper is dirty and has an old-fashioned feel to it; the Macario’s had never got around to decorating, perhaps being concerned with other matters. There are pictures, mostly landscape scenes on the walls, and a small cupboard for keeping shoes just inside the door.

There are rooms on both sides – the nearest door is on the right, with the left-hand side one a little further down.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

When Isadora is about to cross the threshold, a shiver runs through her body. "Wait, Norman! Stop!" she says, her voice almost a shriek.

"There... there is something evil in this house. Something cruel..." she adds. She almost feels the distance between her and Norman, who is already inside the house, growing from a few steps to miles.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Owens rushed back.

"Isadora," he exclaimed, clasping her hand, "whatever..." and let go. "Pardon me, Ms. Carmichael, I didn't intend to be overly familiar. You feel that something awful is here, whatever can it be?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora doesn't seem to notice Norman's excess.

"I cannot tell for sure what it is -- but I feel this whole house is impregnated with something malevolent..."

She makes a short pause, taking a few deep breaths.

"I felt things like this before, presences. But this is stronger, much stronger, and less defined at the same time?..

Maybe we should get more information on the history of the house. I'm not sure I'm ready to enter."

Return to “The Haunting”