Chapter 4: The House

Boston 1920: Strange events at 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace have left minds ruined and families shattered. But how believable are such tales as strange figures and moving inanimate objects in our modern age? How readily should we disregard the influence of the otherworldly? After the recent real-life horrors of poison gas and industrialized slaughter, can we give credence to tales of odd visions and supernatural presences?

Investigating 20 Copp’s Hill will prove that we should not dismiss such tales too lightly...

Moderator: HoneyDog

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 4: The House

Post by Tabs »

He was eager to look around... but the police officers had just checked over the house. "Okay, Ms. Carmichael, let's do some research first. While we're here, let's go talk to Mr. Dooley, the newsstand owner--the shopkeeper said he's been in this neighbourhood for a long time."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora is both surprised and relieved that Norman doesn't question her sudden "insight". Maybe he observed similar behavior during his expeditions among the northern tribes?

"Yes, let's talk to them," she says, more calm this time. "I didn't expect the presence to be this strong. Maybe an inquiry into the past history of the house can give us some clues."

She heads out to the newsstand (with Norman). She purchases a daily paper, glances at the main headlines, but not really reads into them.

"Mr. Dooley, right?" she addresses the owner. "The man from the shop down the road said that you've been here for quite a while. Can I ask you some questions about the area?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

news.jpg
Mr. Dooley has been following the afternoon’s goings on at the house with interest. He is friendly and happy to impart what he knows, although he is quite old and his memory is not as sharp as it once was.

“By neighbourhood, I take it you mean the Corbitt house?” he grins, but becomes serious. “I see that you've paid it a visit. It’s an unhappy place, that one. Best stay away from it, if you want my advice.”
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Unhappy?--You mean the Macarios."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora doesn't want to "overload" Mr. Dooley with a lot of questions at once, so she just listens carefully to what he says, studies the old man's reactions.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Well, yes, the Macarios. The husband went crazy right here in this street, screaming and attacking passers-by. Luckily there was a cop near, and he managed to restrain him until more came, and believe me they needed five cops to get him in the paddy wagon. And then his poor wife lost her mind so recently. You could see she was under terrible strain, poor woman.” He looks upset at the memory.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Owens decided to stick with the truth. "We're employed by house owner, to look into its 'mystery,'" he said. "Shocking business--the Macarios."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Yes, they were a nice couple. They didn’t deserve what happened to them. And the poor boys….” He drifts off, and then comes back into focus. “The previous owners didn’t do very well either. Please tell your owner just to tear that place down, it’s unlucky for everyone who enters it”.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"You called it the Corbett house; who was that?"

OOC:   e_s, rewind and ask questions, if you want.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Yes, the Corbitt house. I believe he might have been the original owner. It’s from a long time ago, but the house is still known by that name. I couldn't tell you anything about him though."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   I'm good, let's keep this rolling!  
"When was that? Who might be able to tell us about Corbitt?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Oh, it’s so long ago now, there’s no-one living who would be able to tell you about that. Your best bet would be the newspapers or the public library I would think.”
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Owens bought some magazines.

"The Officers who broke in for us seemed wary of the house; is it so notorious locally?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Dooley looks at Norman. “Well yes, the business with the Macario’s. And the previous family, the Milligan’s. They moved in in, when was it, oh yes, just before we joined the war. About a month later they were gone.”

He gives Norman some change. “They seemed like a perfectly normal healthy family, but they all got sick. They blamed the house, so they moved away. Stuff like that seems to be the pattern with that house. So yes, you could say its notorious.”
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"The Milligans, did they get 'sick' from some sort of an illness? Or did they lose their sanity, like the Macarios?"

She turns to Norman: "Looks like we'll have to visit the Public Library and the archives after all."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“No, nothing like that. They just got sick – you could see that they were all physically ill. Strangest thing.” More customers have arrived so he turns to serve them.

“Well, good luck to you both! You’ll need it”.
OOC:   If you recall, Jordan will set you up with an introduction at the Boston Globe tomorrow (game time). If you like, you can meet there and continue your investigations.  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Thank you, Mr. Dooley, have a good day!"

As they walk away, Isadora turns to Norman:

"People sometimes get ill in old houses because the old wallpapers have arsenic in them, for coloring."

But this is clearly not what she really wants to say, and she adds after a short pause:

"Did you get any... feelings, resonance when you were inside the house?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"No. But obviously you did; 'something malevolent' you said."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Yes. I was just wondering whether you felt it too, because it was so strong, strongest I've ever felt. But maybe I'm more attuned to these things.
Non-sensitives may not pick it up... But they are affected by it, this is why they can go insane. What an awful, dangerous place..."

She shivers.

"I propose we get some rest and meet tomorrow at the Boston Globe."
OOC:   Should we fast-forward to tomorrow?  

Return to “The Haunting”